Organization 2010 - January/family room

I don't mean to be whiny, but I was just wondering if people are still doing this, since it doesn't get posted to as much as it did right off the bat. I am guilty too, and no worries, I know we are all super busy all the time, I was just wondering.

;) We all ditched and are leaving you with the maid's bill.

Sorry, my bad. :flower3: I do need to do this. I haven't even begun and the month is more than half over.

Need to do my scrap room too.

Anyone want to come over and help?

I didn't expect to get to this at all this month and I haven't - we have been away over half the month and are headed out for half of next week. Jan and June are my worst months for doing anything as I seem to be away a lot in both months.

Rebecca

I'm still plugging away bit by bit. I think I will be done by the end of the month but some of that depends on whether I can shake this bad asthma I've had all week. As Scarlett O'Hara would say, tomorrow is another day! :flower3:

I'll probably be joining in this challenge in later months. But being in the house is so new, that we haven't had time to mess the family room up. Everything was washed and painted in Nov. I did have a couple boxes that needed unpacking, and I got that finished.

I don't mean to be whiny, but I was just wondering if people are still doing this, since it doesn't get posted to as much as it did right off the bat. I am guilty too, and no worries, I know we are all super busy all the time, I was just wondering.

still plugging away too. I need to add this weeks daily task but I've been really busy. I will add them tonight.

I don't really have to do the living room as posted, as that is in good shape, but I have been working on home organization in general over the past few weeks. I made a list of all the "hot-spots" in the house - drawers, closets, etc - and I've been doing one each day off - much more manageable that way.

You make want to check out other threads. Over on the Budget Board there is a pretty active Destashing thread. It is called who is Destashing in 2010http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2361070 Hope this works, never done it before. If not, hey I tried :goodvibes

This is all I'm doing other than my regular life activities until I'm satisfied with my organization at home (no swapping, no scrapping, no buying scrap items, and no desire to do so at this time).

Just wondering what people do with electronics that you want to dispose (ie: TV, old Direct TV receivers (I upgraded), old fax machine, old printer, etc)? I hate to put it on the curb for garbage pick-up and then into the landfill.

When we lived in AZ, a local Boy Scout troop had a "once a month" drop off location for electronics recycling. They were partnered with a recycling business. What was still functional would find its way to those in need, and what didn't, was properly recycled.

In WA, there was a "hotline" you could call, and find out which local recyclers would take what, and if there was a fee.

It looks like Best Buy has a recycling program where you can bring in 2 things per day. They charge $10 for some items, but they give you a $10 GC.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/Re...50025.c?id=pcmcat149900050025&DCMP=rdr0001422

I'm joining in...this is a great idea and just the thing for me. I tend to start strong with my cleaning/decluttering but fizzle out....this will keep me on task!:yay:

Still plugging away... as my family room was done early on after taking down the tree, I've been hitting hot spots... cleaning out kitchen cupboards, junk drawers, desk drawers, shredding weekly unnecessary junk.....

When we lived in AZ, a local Boy Scout troop had a "once a month" drop off location for electronics recycling. They were partnered with a recycling business. What was still functional would find its way to those in need, and what didn't, was properly recycled.

In WA, there was a "hotline" you could call, and find out which local recyclers would take what, and if there was a fee.

It looks like Best Buy has a recycling program where you can bring in 2 things per day. They charge $10 for some items, but they give you a $10 GC.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/Re...50025.c?id=pcmcat149900050025&DCMP=rdr0001422

Thanks, Hope, and, yes, Office Depot provides the service, too. I can call Best Buy or the Depot and confirm, etc.

We also have an organization that sponsors clothing, metal and electronics, medication, crayon, etc drives for recycling. There are none of those until May, though, due to the weather. Just wanting to get rid of some stuff before that.

There is always FreeCycle if you don't mind strangers coming to the house.
Are there no GoodWill or Salvation Army places that will pick up by you?
If you want to pay for the removal, those Got Junk places do the lifting.
Or you could put an add in the paper saying come get the stuff at the curb before garbage day.

Are there no GoodWill or Salvation Army places that will pick up by you?

Oh, yes, we have all of that, but the items I am speaking about wouldn't be used for resale since they're either not working well enough for that or are really outdated.

Ah, my bad.

What about a dedicated junk yard? We have those. We have to pay to have them taken there, but the guy can work miracles on broken stuff. He then donates the stuff to the Goodwill.

Oh BTW, I did drop off the old television at Best Buy on Friday for recycling. Wow, was that thing heavy for a 20 inch TV. I pulled up in front of the store and got an employee to bring out a cart for it, went to customer service, paid $10 and got a gift card for the same amount. So, that's out of the way.
They do take a lot of other electronics, too.

I plan to take a couple of old laptops to my computer geek at a local computer shop and he has a source for recycling after the hard drives are removed.

On to the next project.....!

Good to know! DH has a ton of old computers and we have the old flat screen, I think I'll take those to Best Buy. I want them out of the house! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter