One time use point questions

Do you happen to know what they base the "1 time" on? Calender year, UY of your contract, the UY of the points your are receiving? I bought OTU points recently, but really needed more points and asked about the transfer and the CM seemed unable to answer me confidently. Maybe I'm just not asking correctly?....

If I were to receive (today) a transfer of someone else's Dec 2017 UY points, could I take a transfer of someone's Feb 2018 UY points now or Feb 1st???

MY UY is October. So I'm in my 2017 UY.

You can receive 1 transfer into your UY. So one transfer of 2017 points into your 2017 UY. One transfer of 2018 points into your 2018 UY. But those transfers do follow the UY they come from.

You can receive 1 transfer into your UY. So one transfer of 2017 points into your 2017 UY. One transfer of 2018 points into your 2018 UY. But those transfers do follow the UY they come from.
But that’s where it gets confusing. If I have a December UY and you have an April UY, and you transfer your 2018 points to me in July, does that count as my 2017 or 2018 transfer? I would assume it counts as your 2018 transfer because they’re 2018 points, but does it count as my 2017 transfer because I’m still in my 2017 use year, even though I received 2018 points? Or does it count as 2018 because they’re 2018 points?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the once-per-year transfer rules spelled out. I’ve heard about people getting two transfers at the same time, one of 2017 points and another of 2018 points, and then they were able to bank one set and use them together. Could you get two transfers of two different use years so that 2017 and 2018 overlapped and use bot for a single reservation?

But that’s where it gets confusing. If I have a December UY and you have an April UY, and you transfer your 2018 points to me in July, does that count as my 2017 or 2018 transfer? I would assume it counts as your 2018 transfer because they’re 2018 points, but does it count as my 2017 transfer because I’m still in my 2017 use year, even though I received 2018 points? Or does it count as 2018 because they’re 2018 points?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the once-per-year transfer rules spelled out. I’ve heard about people getting two transfers at the same time, one of 2017 points and another of 2018 points, and then they were able to bank one set and use them together. Could you get two transfers of two different use years so that 2017 and 2018 overlapped and use bot for a single reservation?
I just did this. Accepted an Aug 2017 transfer into my Feb 2017 UY, banked them into Aug 2018. I also accepted an Aug 2018 transfer into my Feb 2018 UY. All transferred points (banked and current) will be used together for a vacation Jan 2019 (which falls in the Aug 2018 UY of the transferred points).

So 2017 points count as your 2017 UY transfer. Or 2018 will count as your 2018 transfers. Because the points keep their UY it isn't really going into your 2017 UY. What you couldn't do is to receive any more 2017 points, no matter their UY, from someone else if you already had once gotten 2017 points from someone. They would have to be 2018 or 2019 points. So the things is to just drop they they are going into any particular UY of yours and just think about what UY of points they were. In a manner, if it's not the same UY as you have, you are getting a new UY for that year and the following if you decided to bank the points. So in your example if you had a December UY and received April points you would essentially have the April UY for that time until you used the transferred points. Confusion happens because for most people they have a membership which usually means a single UY. When one has multiple UY's - ie, Member #'s then they can select which membership the transfer is brought into but that's just because it's a membership and not really because of the UY.

That is as simple as it gets! Very helpful! Thanks!

One other thing afaik is that if you have started your next UY (say you have a Feb) so your in your 2018 UY then you cannot transfer in 2017 points anymore even if other UY's are still in 2017. At least as I understand it so in that way it's not exactly like getting a new UY but pretty close.

One other thing afaik is that if you have started your next UY (say you have a Feb) so your in your 2018 UY then you cannot transfer in 2017 points anymore even if other UY's are still in 2017. At least as I understand it so in that way it's not exactly like getting a new UY but pretty close.
That is correct.

Once you begin your 2018 Use Year, your 2017 Use Year is past so you cannot accept a transfer into a closed Use Year.

Transfers may be made to/from the current and next Use Year. For another few days, all DVC Members are in their 2017 UY and can accept transfers into their 2017 and 2018 Use Year. On February 1, 2018 those with a February Use Year can no longer accept 2017 points but can accept/make transfers to/from their 2018 and 2019 use Year. The 2019 points would be limited to only those with a February Use Year - until March 1 when March, 2019 Use Years will also be able to accept transfers. Those with a December Use Year cannot accept or make a transfer of 2019 UY points until December 1, 2018.

While it can get confusing, the thing to remember is that transfers may be made to/from the current and next Use Year. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter