One time use point questions

Jperiod

I am the rebel spy!
I understand I can buy OTU points once per use year and at 7 months. I have a June YU. If I bought OTU points in May for a December reservation, which YU would those be considered, 2017 or 2018? Do I need to use up my own points first or can I buy them anyway (so I can bank my own)? If I buy them and cancel a reservation (ending up with a mix of my points and OTU points), can I use the OTU points on a new reservation first (so I can bank my leftover points?)? Does that new reservation also have to be within 7 months of the time of booking, or within 7 months of the time I bought the OTU points?

I'm trying to figure out how to best stretch my points for 2019 reservations by loading up on the OTU points each UY.

Because the reservation would fall in your June 2018 UY (I'm assuming you are booking December 2018), those points would be considered 2018 points. You can buy points even if you have points available (we have done this when we could've borrowed points but wanted to save those).

If you cancel that reservation those one time points cannot be banked or borrowed but have to be used up by the end of your 2018 UY.

In that scenario, the OTU points will be usable in your 2018 UY only, so they are your 2018 allotment. In order to get 2017 points, you'd need to buy them for use in your 2017 UY. (So, you could have bought them as early as Nov 1, 2016 for June 1 2017) At least that is how it was just explained to me.

If you have a 2017 UY trip (anything planned for up to 5/18?), and the dates are still available, you can cancel and rebook (by phone) and purchase OTU points for that reservation. That would free up points to bank into your 2018 UY (by 1/31/18).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I just realized OTU points cost increased. There isn't much incentive to buy from the mouse, except for a couple here or there. I might as well rent from an owner for the resort I want. Well, assuming I can get it! LOL

So here's a slightly related question. I'm still in my 2017 yu currently and can bank for 2018. If someone transferred me their 2017 yu points that are past their banking period, could I still bank them to 2018?

Transferred points retain there original status, except you cannot borrow them and you have to call to use them if they don't exactly match your home resort and UY.

So, no, you couldn't.

Forgive me if someone else already asked this, but ANOTHER question; if you have 2 contracts, can you get 48 OTU points? (2 x 24)?

Wow, you sure about that? I actually DO have 2 different uy's in 2 different contracts so I'm glad to hear it, but don't understand the logic..

If OTU points are per membership (as are transfers), then it makes sense.
2 contracts with the same UY and titled the same are 1 membership. Kind of like an extension of your contract. Which is how you can get 25 points (for most resorts) direct -vs- 50 or more points direct. It's an add-on.

If you change how it is titled or get a different UY, it is a new membership. A direct purchase would be subject to new member minimums. You have to transfer between your own contracts to use those points and can only transfer 1 time per year (in or out) So, along those lines of logic, only once per year for OTU would be consistent.

So, upside is you can get 2 sets of OTU points, but if you transfer points from 1 contract to another, you've used up your 1 transfer for the year on both contracts as opposed to being able to use those points together to book reservations without using up your transfer.

At least, I think that's all right! lol

2 contracts with the same UY and titled the same are 1 membership. Kind of like an extension of your contract. Which is how you can get 25 points (for most resorts) direct -vs- 50 or more points direct. It's an add-on.

If you change how it is titled or get a different UY, it is a new membership. A direct purchase would be subject to new member minimums. You have to transfer between your own contracts to use those points and can only transfer 1 time per year (in or out) So, along those lines of logic, only once per year for OTU would be consistent.

So, upside is you can get 2 sets of OTU points, but if you transfer points from 1 contract to another, you've used up your 1 transfer for the year on both contracts as opposed to being able to use those points together to book reservations without using up your transfer.

I THINK I understand, but are you assuming that the same UY are ALSO for the SAME resort? In my case I have different UY AND different resorts, but even if it was the SAME UY, would two different resorts entitle someone 2 different sets of OTU points?

If I buy them and cancel a reservation (ending up with a mix of my points and OTU points), can I use the OTU points on a new reservation first (so I can bank my leftover points?)? Does that new reservation also have to be within 7 months of the time of booking, or within 7 months of the time I bought the OTU points?

I would also like to know the answer to this question. If I cancel a reservation which contains a mix of 'my' points and OTU points, can I then use those OTU points for a reservation at my home resort more than 7 months out?

I THINK I understand, but are you assuming that the same UY are ALSO for the SAME resort? In my case I have different UY AND different resorts, but even if it was the SAME UY, would two different resorts entitle someone 2 different sets of OTU points?
Same UY for different home resorts will not result in multiple memberships as long as each is titled in the same names.

We own AKV & BLT (same UY) and both are under 1 membership.

Wow, you sure about that? I actually DO have 2 different uy's in 2 different contracts so I'm glad to hear it, but don't understand the logic..

Its the same idea as you getting 2 waitlists per UY but you do not get that with 2 contracts under the same UY membership.

mostly right -- except you can transfer from one UY to the other UY and they typically don't count it against you. I've done this twice now and never even had the CM hesitate to do it.

I would also like to know the answer to this question. If I cancel a reservation which contains a mix of 'my' points and OTU points, can I then use those OTU points for a reservation at my home resort more than 7 months out?
No. OTU points may only be used for reservations made 7 months or less prior to arrival. OTU points returned to your account because of a cancellation will expire at the end of your use year. They retain the OTU status & do not "mingle" with your points. You will have to call MS to use them. ME can see that they are OTU points and not valid for home resort priority reservations.

No. OTU points may only be used for reservations made 7 months or less prior to arrival. OTU points returned to your account because of a cancellation will expire at the end of your use year. They retain the OTU status & do not "mingle" with your points. You will have to call MS to use them. ME can see that they are OTU points and not valid for home resort priority reservations.

Makes sense, and thanks for the clarification. If they didn't retain their OTU status then of course everyone would just abuse the system and make a 'fake' reservation just to get the points, and then cancel that reservation and make the 'real' one they actually wanted within their home resort priority period.

Makes sense, and thanks for the clarification. If they didn't retain their OTU status then of course everyone would just abuse the system and make a 'fake' reservation just to get the points, and then cancel that reservation and make the 'real' one they actually wanted within their home resort priority period.
Sadly, you are correct. A similar thing resulted in a limit for transfers.

Several years ago, members were not limited to one transfer per year. At that time, transferred points were "morphing" into the recipient's home resort points (due to a computer system not designed to efficiently track transfers). People started going after transfers and using those points to make home resort reservations (a lot of which were rented). It got bad enough that DVC limited transfers and subsequently "fixed" the transfer system. IMO, that was also the impetus for the "20 reservation trigger" for an audit (re commercial renting). It's probably also one of the reasons so many members developed a strong dislike for renting.

I have allocated all my current and next year's points and made reservations for future trips, so no borrowing available for this. I was considering adding a day to an upcoming trip (less than seven months) but it would require a waitlist.

Is it possible to use OTU with a waitlist? Would I have to purchase them first or would I be able to set up the waitlist and if it came through purchase the OTU points.

Sadly, you are correct. A similar thing resulted in a limit for transfers.

Several years ago, members were not limited to one transfer per year. At that time, transferred points were "morphing" into the recipient's home resort points (due to a computer system not designed to efficiently track transfers). People started going after transfers and using those points to make home resort reservations (a lot of which were rented). It got bad enough that DVC limited transfers and subsequently "fixed" the transfer system. IMO, that was also the impetus for the "20 reservation trigger" for an audit (re commercial renting). It's probably also one of the reasons so many members developed a strong dislike for renting.

Do you happen to know what they base the "1 time" on? Calender year, UY of your contract, the UY of the points your are receiving? I bought OTU points recently, but really needed more points and asked about the transfer and the CM seemed unable to answer me confidently. Maybe I'm just not asking correctly?....

If I were to receive (today) a transfer of someone else's Dec 2017 UY points, could I take a transfer of someone's Feb 2018 UY points now or Feb 1st???

MY UY is October. So I'm in my 2017 UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!