One table service meal with a 5-year-old boy

We definitely like good food (which for us means the exclusion of character meals), but also have an 8 year old daughter so a couple of places come to mind....

Hoop Dee Doo (not "one credit" but worth paying out of pocked for a fun show that should entertain everyone and great family style food)
Whispering Canyon (fun antics and good bbq)
Teppan Edo (Japanese steakhouse)
SciFi (who doesn't want to eat in car and dine in the dark while watching old movies)
Raglan Road (Irish food and a show)
Sanaa (granted my daughter loves this for the bread service but looking out on the safari is a lot of fun)

Although T-Rex doesn't have the greatest food, my 3.5 year old son loved the atmosphere. He loves dinosaurs and was so excited when he realized they were moving.

Family Style, definitely Garden Grill.
If you're willing to reconsider a buffet, Tusker House is phenomenal. We like to go for breakfast. We always have the best character interactions there and the food is very good!

Family Style, definitely Garden Grill.
If you're willing to reconsider a buffet, Tusker House is phenomenal. We like to go for breakfast. We always have the best character interactions there and the food is very good!

We're a party of 3 and I think this is the whole reason my daughter likes Sci Fi so she can "drive" alone
Interesting! My son loves pretending to drive, so he might be like that, too. But he could go the other way and be clingy to me as usual, lol, leaving my husband in the back by himself.

My 5-year-old son begged to go to Sci-Fi on our next trip. That’s fine with me—I thought the food was better than T-Rex.

I can see that. I wouldn’t think black and white movies at Sci-Fi would be all that interesting to a kid in today’s world.
Full, old movies would probably be boring to many kids.
But, It’s not full movies, just trailers, concession ads and a few other future-type clips that change quickly enough for many with shorter attention spans. A few of the clips are Tom and Jerry cartoons that overall kept the attention enough for my boys.

Hoop Dee Doo gets my vote. My kids have been going there and loving it since they were about 2 and it's not fine dining, but I enjoy the food a lot more than many of the other restaurants on property.

Teppan Edo. A 6-year-old me (30+ years ago) ate there, and I still remember it. Those guys COOKED on the FLIPPIN' table! What is not cool about that?! Even to someone as terribly picky an eater as 6-year-old me. I know there's Japanese steakhouses everywhere now (two within a 10 minute drive from my house), but I still love them. To me, more than 30 years later, they still hold the magic of Disney with them.

I went with my five year old son earlier this month and he loved Garden grill (and loved riding the Land after!) He also loved T-Rex! That was probably the ultimate restaurant for him since he loves dinosaurs. He did not liked the food and DH and I were both ok with it but the overall experience was good.

I can see that. I wouldn’t think black and white movies at Sci-Fi would be all that interesting to a kid in today’s world.
My kids were a little older than 5 when I took them to Sci-Fi, but they were still young and loved it. They loved the car, looooved the movie clips, and really liked the food. Lots of kids seem to like it. They rank it among their favorite places at WDW.

Of course, with a party of 3, one person would have to sit alone. I sat alone behind my kids who were ‘driving’ (they got a kick out of that). It was fine. I enjoyed a quiet meal and cocktail, and my kids had a great time.

My boys also really love ‘Ohana breakfast with Stitch. It’s a good option if your son is a fan of Lilo and Stitch, plus you get to meet Mickey and Pluto (my youngest’s fave).

Its not just about the movie clips. Its the atmosphere. Besides, I dont think kids mind the clips too much as i always see eyes glued to the screen. Even my own son when he was younger.
I think it’s less about the movies themselves and more about the atmosphere and novelty of eating in a car.
Exactly! its about the atmosphere, eating in a car, feeling like youre in a real drive in theater. The atmosphere is so unique.

My suggestions would also be Sci-Fi. Its so much fun. Food is pretty good too. Its one of my sons faves. We never had a bad meal here. Their shakes are to die for. And btw this is one of the quietest restaurants in disney!

Garden Grill would be my next choice. Food is fresh and delish, and who doesnt love chip & dale?

TRex is also great. Use to be my sons fave when he was younger. Yes its loud, its suppose to be!! There's meteor showers going on every few minutes, which turns the ice cave from blue to red. Its a pretty cool experience. Esp if your kid loves dinosaurs. If he's sensitive to noise though, dont sit inside the cave. We've always liked the food here.

Raglan Road is fun, I love watching irish celtic dancers perform. And the irish music is awesome. Food is great too. But would a 5 yr old like it here? Meh. All depends i guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter