OMG

It's pretty obvious this individual has severe mental health issues. Their perception of what is going on is likely nothing akin to what you perceive as going on. It's a lot like hoarders. It's easy to just say "just clean the house". Or Intervention where you want to scream at the TV just go to rehab when you know nothing of addiction and how it works on the mind.

Would you say to someone with severe depression to just cheer up? Or a schizophrenic to just stop acting so weird? It may seem simple to you or me, but we are not in their position.

We have no idea what is going on with this person, and honestly this isn't something that needs to be exploited for entertainment. These kind of shows make me sick.

Was just watching this on TV...

A woman, 650 pounds, bed-bound for over 4 years, husband who shoved food down her throat at will... she got professional help but insulted therapists and dieticians who were sent to her house and turned them all away. Basically she was holding out for surgery but every doctor had told her this was something SHE needed to do, just sit up! She basically made zero effort, was incredibly rude to those who tried to help her and ruined her husband's life which sadly ended from Covid a few months back.

She's gonna kill herself with food.

To be continued :(

This is so sad. I have a close family member who is a fire fighter and EMT.About a year ago now, they got called to a house where someone had trouble breathing. He was a 900 lb man!!! That's almost half a ton! It took 2 squads and five or six men to roll him onto a tarp like carrier with handles to pull him out of the house. They could not lift him at all, even with all those people to help. It was really sad. But it is a health hazard for the firemen/EMT's who risk their health to rescue him. I guess I don't have too much sympathy for someone who does this intentionally. They put a lot of other people in danger just to help him.

This is so sad. I have a close family member who is a fire fighter and EMT.About a year ago now, they got called to a house where someone had trouble breathing. He was a 900 lb man!!! That's almost half a ton! It took 2 squads and five or six men to roll him onto a tarp like carrier with handles to pull him out of the house. They could not lift him at all, even with all those people to help. It was really sad. But it is a health hazard for the firemen/EMT's who risk their health to rescue him. I guess I don't have too much sympathy for someone who does this intentionally. They put a lot of other people in danger just to help him.
First off, they don't do it intentionally, why would anyone do that. They have much deeper problems other then no will power and a massive appette. Can you even imagine the embarrassments that is caused by having to have that many people to carry you out of a house. Before digital scales they had to go to zoo's just to get weighed. The whole thing is a mental health problem. No one sets out to weigh 900 pounds. I will admit that perhaps it gets to a place where one feels hopeless and just gives up. They have image problems to begin with and this just makes it worse. What becomes intentional is possibly just feeling that they will die soon and it will be over.

It's pretty obvious this individual has severe mental health issues. Their perception of what is going on is likely nothing akin to what you perceive as going on. It's a lot like hoarders. It's easy to just say "just clean the house". Or Intervention where you want to scream at the TV just go to rehab when you know nothing of addiction and how it works on the mind.

Would you say to someone with severe depression to just cheer up? Or a schizophrenic to just stop acting so weird? It may seem simple to you or me, but we are not in their position.

We have no idea what is going on with this person, and honestly this isn't something that needs to be exploited for entertainment. These kind of shows make me sick.
Exactly. These are often habits and disorders that develop out of extreme trauma. And from what I’ve seen briefly of these shows is that trauma is poked at and manipulated until it causes big reactions for the ratings. It’s revolting.

How in merry old hell do you get so heavy? I mean, the effort of shoving food down your throat ALONE must burn off some of that weight!

For those of you who think this is voyeuristic or morbid, DO NOT WATCH Dr. Pimple Popper. It's gross. Compelling in an odd way, but gross!

:rotfl: I definitely don't! I have seen snippets of My 600 Pound Life (though I don't watch regularly or recognize the episode people are talking about) but I refuse to watch Dr. Pimple Popper.

For those of you who think this is voyeuristic or morbid, DO NOT WATCH Dr. Pimple Popper. It's gross. Compelling in an odd way, but gross!
I watch this with my girls and they both wanted to be dermatologists for a bit. I think one still wants to be one and the older one now wants to be an actress

I know exactly the episode the OP is talking about and she made me sick!
I can understand how food addiction is an illness. It just becomes the norm. But it's a two way street. If you want to get out of bed and not die by food, you need to put the effort in. The doctor was tough but fair. He sent her literature, organised for dieticians and physiotherapists to visit her, talked to her other half and asked him not to be her "enabler" by just buying her whatever and serving her anything she wanted.

Whenever a physiotherapist or dietician visited, she was incredibly rude. She might start by reading a magazine or texting, basically ignoring them - assuming they made it into her house. She ended up literally shouting and swearing at them and checking them out and making zero effort. Didn't do the exercise, no matter how trivial. Didn't diet. Nothing. Didn't even TRY to move to sit up. Eventually, when the doctor called she ended up pretending to be confused.

Long story short, she was angling for surgery, even though she'd been told it was down to her and it wouldn't work. Horrible person. Unloading her issues on people trying to help her. And trust me, I know what it's like to suffer from mental trauma. I'm not ashamed. And this wasn't mental trauma. It was sheer bloody mindedness.

We never found out if she made the effort or even survived. That was the end of the programme.

:scared: I listen to that show more than actually look at the screen, but I find it extremely moving. :sad1: The patients are often in such despair and have had such inadequate care for their disfigurements, many of which are extremely painful. Dr. Sandra is so kind and gentle with them, while also being completely matter-of-fact and efficient in their treatment. It is truly life-changing for them, both physically and emotionally.:flower3: Overwhelmingly gross as it is, it must be very satisfying work. I wish my job mattered that much.

:scared: I listen to that show more than actually look at the screen, but I find it extremely moving. :sad1: The patients are often in such despair and have had such inadequate care for their disfigurements, many of which are extremely painful. Dr. Sandra is so kind and gentle with them, while also being completely matter-of-fact and efficient in their treatment. It is truly life-changing for them, both physically and emotionally.:flower3: Overwhelmingly gross as it is, it must be very satisfying work. I wish my job mattered that much.
I like Dr. Lee. She's always so chirpy and welcoming!

The same way that people get overweight. Far more people are overweight now than in the 80s when I was a kid. What happened? This is just an extreme case.

One in three people are obese. This is insane.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html#overall
For one thing there are probably far more people in general then when you were a kid. Second, the definition of "obese" is very casually bantered about. Body builders have been called obese because of their muscle mass, not fat. The system is far more arbitrary and morbidly obese is a phase that needs to be part of cancel culture. Morbidly implies certain death and that is not the case. At 74 I have been classified as Morbidly Obese most of my life. I can name at least 10 friends and family that were athletic and slim and I have attended their funerals. I'm not saying that it is the healthiest of life styles, but this preoccupation with the weight of others borders on ridiculous. When it gets to 900 pounds then there is more than lazy and stupid involved, there a lot of hopelessness as well as sadness that started it all.

I can understand how food addiction is an illness. It just becomes the norm. But it's a two way street. If you want to get out of bed and not die by food, you need to put the effort in. The doctor was tough but fair. He sent her literature, organised for dieticians and physiotherapists to visit her, talked to her other half and asked him not to be her "enabler" by just buying her whatever and serving her anything she wanted.

Whenever a physiotherapist or dietician visited, she was incredibly rude. She might start by reading a magazine or texting, basically ignoring them - assuming they made it into her house. She ended up literally shouting and swearing at them and checking them out and making zero effort. Didn't do the exercise, no matter how trivial. Didn't diet. Nothing. Didn't even TRY to move to sit up. Eventually, when the doctor called she ended up pretending to be confused.

Long story short, she was angling for surgery, even though she'd been told it was down to her and it wouldn't work. Horrible person. Unloading her issues on people trying to help her. And trust me, I know what it's like to suffer from mental trauma. I'm not ashamed. And this wasn't mental trauma. It was sheer bloody mindedness.

We never found out if she made the effort or even survived. That was the end of the programme.
These shows really get to me because my mother was obese and well on her way to being immobile before dying at age 59. She was one of those people who waited for someone else to get up and then she'd ask you to go and do everything she wanted done for her "while you're up." If you tried to talk to her about the importance of moving her body, she'd get upset and cry because she said we were "being mean". In the end, the exact thing that we were afraid of, happened. My mom was never hateful like the woman in the show. She played the helpless card. I absolutely hated it. As a teenager, you don't have much choice in being the enabler. It's your mother and you don't know how to get around doing what you have to do because in the end, where else can you go? I really feel for the children in these cases. We're taught to obey our parents right up until it kills them. Luckily for me, I was long gone before she got really bad. It's a horrible life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter