• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Cabins to Be Removed, New DVC Cabins Coming To Fort Wilderness

giphy.gif

It's OK, Ed. After I typed that I spun around 3 times, spit on the ground, stomped on it, and said three times "No Whammy!!!'. That should take care of the 'evil'.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about FW as others here, but would there be a possibility of DVC building a new pool? Something along the lines of Stormalong Bay would be a great value-add to the DVC decision-making. Maybe free for DVC members, a fee for FW guests? Heck, they could even call it River Country Redux. Or is there not a big enough population there to warrant that?
I love this idea!!!

This makes me sad. I was thinking of staying at the cabins with the grandkids next trip in about 2 years. I feel that Disney wanted more money for them and DVC was the way to do it. I liked the rustic feel.(and love the Fort in General) I haven’t stayed in the cabins since probably 2005 or so but always enjoyed them.

This makes me sad. I was thinking of staying at the cabins with the grandkids next trip in about 2 years. I feel that Disney wanted more money for them and DVC was the way to do it. I liked the rustic feel.(and love the Fort in General) I haven’t stayed in the cabins since probably 2005 or so but always enjoyed them.
It should take at least 2 years to sellout, once they start selling in 2024. This means you might still be able to rent one of the new units in 2025.

So they'll keep the cabins. Maybe even upgrade them. Quite frankly,I use the campground and DVC and my only concern so far is losing access to the quiet pool. I would not like to see the Fort lose another amenity. Other than that, I bet you it sells out fast. If they add a restaurant or trading post to the area, that would be a win for campground and DVC owners.
No one will lose access to pools. Resorts that are part DVC part hotel still share pools, people are not excluded from the DVC pool because they are not staying in a DVC designated room. As long as you are a guest at that resort, you can use all the pools. Not including Bay Lake Tower, guests from the Contemporary don't use that pool. But guests at the WL, GF, Poly, BC, etc can use any of the pools at the respective resort.

I hope your right! My home DVC resort is Copper Creek and there is a second pool that sits next to Geyser Point that is restricted for Copper Creek and Boulder Ridge users only. I prefer the quiet pools. Hope we don't lose that pool when we are at campsites.

I hope your right! My home DVC resort is Copper Creek and there is a second pool that sits next to Geyser Point that is restricted for Copper Creek and Boulder Ridge users only. I prefer the quiet pools. Hope we don't lose that pool when we are at campsites.
It is not restricted to CC or BR DVC guests, any guest at the WL can use it. I stay at WL every year multiple times and am not DVC and use the BR pool every trip.

I hope that when they do the DVC upgrade, they also start taking care of the loops’ bathrooms as well. In the past, we’ve been there with handicapped stall doors kicked in necessitating calls from multiple people and 3 days to fix. In some loops (notably in 2000) I can’t use the electrical plugs in the BR’s because the plug for my hairdryer keeps falling out of the wall outlet AND they’re upside down in some places. I’ve noticed that the dryers in the laundry dry HOT on the “delicate” cycles, and have shrunk enough of my clothes to pay for a day at the park.

I love being at the Fort and want it to keep all its charm, but it does need a bit of a freshen up in those areas.

Just wish there was something left for the little guy, besides a tent. DVC is not for everyone.
Lisa,

I'll post this over here too incse you miss it on the Information/Questions forum.

I'm not sure what you mean. The cabins have always been considered a "Moderate" level resort for pricing and perks. I would suspect the new "DVC" cabins are priced similarly (or slightly higher) than the current cabin rates. The campsites for the rest of us aren't changing. And most of us "camp" in much more than a tent.

View attachment 756385

j

Lisa,

I'll post this over here too incse you miss it on the Information/Questions forum.

I'm not sure what you mean. The cabins have always been considered a "Moderate" level resort for pricing and perks. I would suspect the new "DVC" cabins are priced similarly (or slightly higher) than the current cabin rates. The campsites for the rest of us aren't changing. And most of us "camp" in much more than a tent.

View attachment 756385

j
I just mean that so many properties are turning into high(er) dollar properties. Don’t know how moderate these will be now with regard to $$.

Don’t know how moderate these will be now with regard to $$.
I'm not sure either. This whole cabins to DVC is new for Disney. They have only converted Deluxe resort rooms up until now. There has been speculation for several years they would move to a Moderate level conversion. I suspect this is testing the waters to see how it goes over. If it doesn't work or there is too much push back for not being a "deluxe" standard, they can carve out the cabins as unique in the DVC world and go back to flipping more Poly and GF rooms.

Either way, for non-DVC cabin renters, since the "cabins" are all new, I suspect that means kicking the nightly rate up some.

j

Those new cabins will look modern and completely ruin the look of the area. That's nothing new for Disney though.

Log cabins at Ft wilderness, not even made out of wood anymore.. Give me a break Disney. Don't fix what is not broken
This is my concern, too. The concept art does not seem to match the FW theming nor look like it will blend so well into its environment. ...Which makes me concerned for FW as a whole.

Does Disney not like Disney theming anymore? Does Disney not like Disney anymore?!

P.S. According to the concept art, I can't see an obvious place for a parking space by the new cabins?

P.S. According to the concept art, I can't see an obvious place for a parking space by the new cabins?
It looks as though the new buildings are on the order of a tiny house and will probably fit the footprint of the old cabins. Build them off site, tow or truck them in, crane them in place on the old foundations. Hook them to the utilities and move on. I bet the old driveways will still be there in the same spot.

I mentioned this upthread, but as long as they have the new cabins in their own loop, the 'look' doesn't bother me. I hope they remove the 2 in the 100 loop and clean those sites up for RV spots. We like the 'preferred' sites best.

I do like the look of them from a purely design perspective, but no, they aren't 'frontier-y' like the majority of Ft W. And they do bear a slight resemblance to the cottages at Jackson Lake Lodge.

BTW, isn't the new Tri Circle D sort of the same aesthetic? It's sort of that same 'quasi-industrial' design vibe as the new cabins.

Last edited:
It looks as though the new buildings are on the order of a tiny house and will probably fit the footprint of the old cabins. Build them off site, tow or truck them in, crane them in place on the old foundations. Hook them to the utilities and move on. I bet the old driveways will still be there in the same spot.
Yes, you're probably right that they'll take the path of least resistance and leave the footprint as it. Maybe, I'm just reading too much into the concept art!
I mentioned this upthread, but as long as they have the new cabins in their own loop, the 'look' doesn't bother me. I hope they remove the 2 in the 100 loop and clean those sites up for RV spots. We like the 'preferred' sites best.

I do like the look of them from a purely design perspective, but no, they aren't 'frontier-y' like the majority of Ft W. And they do bear a slight resemblance to the cottages at Jackson Lake Lodge.

BTW, isn't the new Tri Circle D sort of the same aesthetic? It's sort of that same 'quasi-industrial' design vibe as the new cabins.
I guess I just have a soft spot for the frontier theme!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter