Old Cabins to Be Removed, New DVC Cabins Coming To Fort Wilderness

Disney wants to make as much money as possible on FW DVC Cabins, of course. To do that, they have to "appear" to make it worth the price. How would they do that?

Include a golf cart with every cabin reservation (built into the price of course) but this has a downside. This one chaps me in places I don't want to talk about. As a Fort Traditionalist, I'm already concerned about the proliferation of golf carts (both personal and Disney/rental) and the effect they've had on the Fort.

Any of you new folks remember all those thick woods down between HDDR and the walkway next to loop 100? Of course you don't because they were all ripped out to make more room for golf cart parking from HDDR down to the corner of the TE porch.

Before that, they needed more golf cart parking for the Fort dock so they paved some parking spots up by the Settlement bus loop near where the FWRR track came around for the River Country train stop complete with charging plug outlets and everything. But few people parked there because it was "too far away" from the dock to, like, walk. So there were abandoned. Easier to double park and squeeze into spots near the Mower Tree.

Up by the Meadow TP, there was a small parking lot for autos across from the 1000 entrance which was later carved up to share spots for golf carts. But that was not enough so they did a cheap job of putting down gravel and taking out more trees on the 1300 loop side to make more room for golf carts. It's an eyesore IMO.

At the Outpost Bus Depot (for parks other than MK) they enlarged the prior golf cart lot but it is indeed tight in there and people leave carts out on the side of Fort Wilderness Trail road which when it rains is a muddy mess from tire ruts.

Bottom line: golf carts would add DVC value but take away from the overall Fort value by adding more golf carts. I don't know the size of the FW golf cart fleet but if every cabin reservation got a cart, I believe it would require more carts - which is a bad thing IMO.

The paved trail to WL has been mentioned. It was torn up when R~ was underway to use as a utility corridor to deliver power, water, sewer, gas, communications, and who-knows-what-else to the construction site. Obviously replacing it adds value since there will be no table service offering available at FW once TE closes making WL table service the next best (worst) option.

My suggestion is to double-pave the trail to WL from FW in both directions to allow golf carts to travel to WL) but obviously park there to permit people to get table service dining there. Others can walk it or bike it but since carts travel on roads the option is to either let them drive on Wilderness Road (the road between WL and FW that bikes use) or double pave the path to let them drive on those. In this scenario, golf carts would NOT be included in a DVC cabin reservation as there is bus service through the cabin loops and from FW to WL. But it would "plus" the resort stay.

Obviously, a "plus" would be the quiet pool in the current cabin loop being refurbed into a DVC-only pool with some stronger theming to justify the DVC prices.

I'm ambivalent about the cabin change because although I stayed in them, they are a later add-on to the original Fort and thus were originally "keeping up with the times" at the time which is, in essence, what they are doing with this change.

Bama Ed

PS - After camping in my trailer at the beach this past week, I think I will pass on the initial rollout for DVC FW Cabins. My trailer is my DVC at Disney (so to speak), my getaway cabin in the mountains, and my beach condo on wheels. Why let go of such a versatile good thing for something stuck in one location? But when I do retire the camper, that might be when the FW DVC Cabins have lots of points on a developing resale market ...

Last edited:
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about FW as others here, but would there be a possibility of DVC building a new pool? Something along the lines of Stormalong Bay would be a great value-add to the DVC decision-making. Maybe free for DVC members, a fee for FW guests? Heck, they could even call it River Country Redux. Or is there not a big enough population there to warrant that?

Last edited:
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about FW as others here, but would there be a possibility of DVC building a new pool? Something along the lines of Stormalong Bay would be a great value-add to the DVC decision-making. Maybe free for DVC members, a fee for FW guests? Heck, they could even call it River Country Redux. Or is there not a big enough population there to warrant that?

Any idea where to place the third DVC pool, George? Near the DVC cabins would be logical which is why I thought they might convert the "quiet" pool location. Or convert the old quiet pool to DVC while building a new quiet pool somewhere else? Where for that then?

Just wondering which direction they could expand the footprint in.

Bama Ed

Per the resort info page here on the DIS, Ariel, 363 cabins currently at the Fort. https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/fort-wilderness-resort-campground/

The article mentions "more than 350" new cabins so they might go in on the same footprint but maybe a little bigger, nicer, and room for another vehicle to park if space allows. And it's not an add-on as the article clearly says 'remove-and-replace'

Here is the concept cabin image from the article.

Rendering_The-Cabins-at-Disneys-Fort-Wilderness-Resort-%E2%80%93-A-Disney-Vacation-Club-Resort-2.jpg

This has me highly interested. I have a few years to start saving my pennies possibly.....

Bama Ed

PS - of course I don't think they will wipe out all the cabins at once - they will probably do a couple loops at a time.
Thanks Bama I think your right they won't do them all at once. Just like you DVC now does sound interesting to me. I can't wait to find out more info as it come available.

I love the Fort. We've stayed in the cabins several times, and we always enjoyed feeling like we had our own quiet space after leaving the hectic crush of the parks. I'm interested to see what they do with this.

From the artist render, with the windows up high, I wonder if they are going to be using the vertical space with a loft instead of the bunk beds. Cramming the bunks in with the main bed made space really tight.

Do you think the R********s (lol) cleared space would be absorbed into the Fort? New dining? Waterfront cabins?

I have stayed at the cabins and the campground in an RV a few times. The cabins felt isolated from the rest of the fort. Of course, we only spent a week at the cabins and spent most every day it not every day at the parks. While at the Fort in an RV we typically stay 2 weeks and spend at least half our time at the fort just relaxing.

It is hard for me to imagine DVC taking over the cabins having much of a negative impact on my Fort experience. If i am wrong, i will be the first one to cry FOUL. But i don't plan on getting too upset over something that is still unknown at the moment.

The optimist in me is hoping that DVC will bring something extremely beneficial to us campers like a restaurant or new trading post. Perhaps a better/improved form of internal transportation. Just wishful thinking, I know!
Hmm. The DVC people better not infringe on my Fort experience, but let me head over to that area of the campground and spend time in the extremely beneficial restaurant or trading post or use the better transportation for myself. You just better keep your distance DVC pariah. Doesn't seem quite fair.

Any idea where to place the third DVC pool, George? Near the DVC cabins would be logical which is why I thought they might convert the "quiet" pool location. Or convert the old quiet pool to DVC while building a new quiet pool somewhere else? Where for that then?

Bama Ed
I’m far too ignorant about most of the FW geography to contribute any kind of informed opinion. But there is a nice cleared area behind Pioneer Hall now that they’d cleared for Reflections, so maybe somewhere around there, and further build (tastefully, of course) a hub for dining and activities. It’d probably asking too much to bring the BBQ back in some form.

As a current DVC member as well as someone looking currently at a Cougar 22MLS, my interest is piqued about this one.

One thing to consider. Many DVC properties offer fixed week contracts as an option. I can imagine that there will be a number of fixed week contracts sold for Halloween and Christmas/New Year's...

It would also be nice if they brought back the FW - WL - Contemporary boats...

As a current DVC member as well as someone looking currently at a Cougar 22MLS, my interest is piqued about this one.

One thing to consider. Many DVC properties offer fixed week contracts as an option. I can imagine that there will be a number of fixed week contracts sold for Halloween and Christmas/New Year's...

It would also be nice if they brought back the FW - WL - Contemporary boats...

I think fixed weeks would be big at the Fort - even more so than the other DVC resorts at WDW.

Fort campers do Trick or Treating on 10/31 and have a golf cart parade for Halloween.

Fort campers decorate sites and cabins during holiday stays around Christmas/New Year's.

Heck, I could envision demand for fixed weeks the entire time from Thanksgiving week through New Years.

If we could get the paved trail back to WL and the FW/WL/CR boats I would be over the moon. The park experience for me personally is becoming less enjoyable but I do love staying at the Fort. Oh and ....

Bama Ed

Put a golf cart path from the Fort to Epcot. It's doable. Could be a DVC perk that the campers could benefit from. Just dreaming.

I thought you wrote "Cougar MILF."

Signed,
- Definitely not a camper here.

Bama Ed
As a former FW camper that has been DVC for 20 years now, I can say without a doubt that if they were to put the DVC pool anywhere besides the current quiet pool location, we wouldn’t even consider buying there. They need to have all the DVC amenities closer to the new DVC rooms IMO. FW is too big by DVC standards and an expectation is to have amenities within walking distance. As former campers, we didn’t mind the long treks up to Pioneer Hall, as we had our own golf cart and stayed at The Fort for 3-6 weeks at a time ….. no rush. DVC points differ, as they are more costly and require shorter vacations. Since time=money, most DVC’ers don’t want to waste their time getting around just to grab a soda or go swimming.

These are the things that I think DVC’ers would like at the Fort:

- Rooms that reflect DVC standards. I have no doubt that these new cabins will
be very nice. They look to have a sleeping loft and if smart, will put in a split
bathroom. Lots of USB ports and good Wi-Fi is imperative.
- Major upgrade on the swimming pool by the DVC cabins EXCLUSIVE to DVC.
If they put in a lazy river, it would be a MAJOR selling point.
- A small quick service/bar/refillable drink station by same pool (similar to HHI).
Not all DVC’ers cook in their room. In addition, it wouldn’t be a DVC without
adult beverages readily available. That would be deal breaker for my crew.
- Dedicated DVC golf cart parking by pool
- Small DVC mini-golf course (in the pipe dream category).
- DEDICATED and ENFORCED DVC parking up by Pioneer Hall. Make the old
Reflections area a parking lot if you have to. Heck, in the pipe dream category,
Turn that Reflections area into an outdoor drive-in movie theater for golf carts.
That would alleviate the congestion up at the Meadows area.
- Major discounts on golf carts for DVC members with MANY more 6-person
Carts available.
- A small covered awning at each DVC site that can accommodate a golf cart.
Nobody likes a soaking wet golf cart.
- Dedicated week’s available for booking holidays.

I’m sure there are other great ideas people have, but many would be pipe dreams.

Last edited:
Full disclosure here, I'm a DVC member but I love the Fort. We go to Trails End every time we come to WDW and I'm already upset about the changes there. I'm not sure about these new changes either. I'm worried it might change the 'feel' of the Fort. In the UK, we are campers and I have been since I was 6 months old. Obviously we can't bring our set up when we travel to the US but we get our fix by walking the trails, canoeing and eating at the Fort. We've met so many amazing people whilst over at the Fort and I'm really scared that by upscaling parts of it, the vibe will change.

Full disclosure here, I'm a DVC member but I love the Fort. We go to Trails End every time we come to WDW and I'm already upset about the changes there. I'm not sure about these new changes either. I'm worried it might change the 'feel' of the Fort. In the UK, we are campers and I have been since I was 6 months old. Obviously we can't bring our set up when we travel to the US but we get our fix by walking the trails, canoeing and eating at the Fort. We've met so many amazing people whilst over at the Fort and I'm really scared that by upscaling parts of it, the vibe will change.
I’m so glad you see that too. I’m worried the changes will affect the Fort atmosphere too much.

I’ve been following the thread on the DVC board and some of things people are expecting are just out of this world.

One person expressed a hope that they put in additional roads so that the DVC members would never have to see the big metal boxes on the paved parking lots.

It just seems like some of them already feel like they have ownership of the whole Fort.

If the powers that be can find a way to incorporate DVC campsites without changing the Fort feel too much, we might actually consider joining.

Last edited:
I think fixed weeks would be big at the Fort - even more so than the other DVC resorts at WDW.

Fort campers do Trick or Treating on 10/31 and have a golf cart parade for Halloween.

Fort campers decorate sites and cabins during holiday stays around Christmas/New Year's.

Heck, I could envision demand for fixed weeks the entire time from Thanksgiving week through New Years.

If we could get the paved trail back to WL and the FW/WL/CR boats I would be over the moon. The park experience for me personally is becoming less enjoyable but I do love staying at the Fort. Oh and ....

Bama Ed
RTR Ed!!!

I am trying to figure out how to combine a DVC stay and having the rig down there.

If the powers that he can find a way to incorporate DVC campsites without changing the Fort feel too much, we might actually consider joining.

I have long advocated (agitated) on this board for an expansion of Fort Wilderness and even DVC RV sites.

Put a golf cart path from the Fort to Epcot. It's doable. Could be a DVC perk that the campers could benefit from. Just dreaming.

My expansion, as I have planned it, would have been across Vista Boulevard from the Fort Wilderness entrance (in the woods between the Fort and Epcot Boulevard/parking lot/theme park) with many of the amenities mentioned here. I would name it Camp Davy Crockett which was the original name of the cabin resort at Disneyland Paris (think Fort Wilderness without RV sites, just cabins).

It would have had an elevated, ramped golf cart drive-in back behind Epcot Blvd to overlook Spaceship Earth with music piped in for the nightly fireworks. And a golf cart path over to Best Friends Pet Boarding facility so it would naturally be pet friendly.

But Disney won't splash out for new real estate that isn't multi-level. I'll have to see it to believe it.

I agree with @bianca that DVC amenities should be close to DVC lodging so converting/replacing and upgrading the current quiet pool makes the most sense. But I still maintain DVC will eventually build on the R~ site. Waterfront on Bay Lake and all. But if that happened, the same rule would apply. Would that mean a 2nd DVC pool at R~? The original plans had a lazy river there. That might be the further-out-there-plans for the Fort: a DVC1 (cabins) and a DVC2 (R~ when the economy is better).

If they ever did a Camp Davy Crockett, I would be very tempted. But I don't think it would be in the plans.

Bama Ed

Interesting. One of the things I'm wondering is if they'll remove the two cabins that are in the 100 loop. I think there also may be one in the 200 loop. I'm not sure if there are any scattered in any of the other RV loops. But if they plan to have them totally consolidated in the 'cabin loops', that would create at least 3 more preferred campsites. More sites, if there are other cabins here and there. If they make the 'quiet pool' a DVC pool and add 'amenities' in the cabin loops, it'd make those outliers especially 'undesirable' to DVC owners, although 'regular' guests probably wouldn't care.

I don't see it having much of an impact as far as increased guests. The overall FtW capacity will remain the same, right? And I've never had an issue with DVC folk at the Grand Californian as far as 'disparaging looks' or 'entitledness'. But then, you can't tell one from the other unless they see you coming out of your room.

Wonder if they're planning to build a separate DVC check-in/concierge building. The Reception Outpost is pretty small. Looks to me as if there would be room between Wilderness Trail & Willow Way if they build 'long and narrow'.

I'm not real familiar with DVC and pricing, but unless they put a BUNCH of amenities, I wouldn't think they'd be able to make the price point very high, just for a cabin surrounded by RV loops, a pool, and a food court. But again, what do I know

As far as the cabins themselves, no they don't really fit the log cabin esthetic of the buildings at the fort, but if they're kept to the cabin loops I expect we really won't see it unless we choose to go look. They do have a 'look' about them that sort of reminds me of the Jackson Lake Lodge cottages at Grand Teton which also have the cantilevered roof, but those are much older and not 'stand alone'.

The question remains, what are they going to do with that land they tore up? And, frighteningly, could this be the start of an insidious DVC 'takeover' of the Fort in place of the DVC-that-must-not-be-named?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter