OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Can't wait for our first OKW stay! DH and I love an early morning walk...This is a good one to do?
It’s a nice walk, when you walk down the path you can go to the Tree House Villas, SSR or to Disney Springs. We did it at 1:30 PM and it was pretty warm out about 90-91F. We were going to SSR to check out the Riviera preview.

It’s a nice walk, when you walk down the path you can go to the Tree House Villas, SSR or to Disney Springs. We did it at 1:30 PM and it was pretty warm out about 90-91F. We were going to SSR to check out the Riviera preview.
Sounds great! I am looking forward to a stay at the Riviera in the future!

Hi all, I am staying at the OKW in a few days and it will be our first time in a studio... three of us. We've always been in a two bedroom but we missed Disney so much we had to make a 2nd trip this year and budget constraints = studio. I know two can fit in each queen bed, but is there even an option to ask for a cot? Is there room for one in a studio?
Not sure how old of a person you are looking for a cot for. But for a child, consider an inflatable bed. We have used these all the time and they work great. Some have pumps built into them, some you need an external pump. Can order from Walmart and have it delivered to the resort.

Anyone else have any problems with sound and noise from next door neighbors?

Looks like neighbors just checked in today and noticed that the insulation to sound between rooms isn't that great. It's very possible that the neighbors in the next room was just very loud, but not sure if it's a combination of that and the walls or not. I wouldn't complain much and maybe it's just the first night... But it's 1215am ( as I lost this ) I can still hear their conversation next door.

Maybe I'm just a little too sensitive and maybe an etiquette thing or something else?

Hopefully they won't be as loud tomorrow.

Looks like neighbors just checked in today and noticed that the insulation to sound between rooms isn't that great. It's very possible that the neighbors in the next room was just very loud, but not sure if it's a combination of that and the walls or not. I wouldn't complain much and maybe it's just the first night... But it's 1215am ( as I lost this ) I can still hear their conversation next door.

Maybe I'm just a little too sensitive and maybe an etiquette thing or something else?

Try folding a towel and putting it under the connecting door. Since they removed all the carpets the gap under the door is much larger, a towel will help if that is where you are getting noise. If it the drawers slamming shut, not so much help. Good luck, have a great trip.

If you are in the studio, they must be making noise in the living room. If you are in the one bedroom, they must be in the studio that is close to your living room.. You can put a blanket or pillow between the two doors at the bottom that are between the two villas making it a lockoff.

Thanks to the both of you for your suggestions. I will try that tonight. When I woke up this morning to go get ice, I noticed that their door had the "airline check out" papers hanging on their door. I'm hoping that their stay is a quick stay. Not trying to be mean and I wouldn't usually complain, but I could still hear them in the living room at 230am when I woke up in the middle of the night.

Thanks to the both of you for your suggestions. I will try that tonight. When I woke up this morning to go get ice, I noticed that their door had the "airline check out" papers hanging on their door. I'm hoping that their stay is a quick stay. Not trying to be mean and I wouldn't usually complain, but I could still hear them in the living room at 230am when I woke up in the middle of the night.
Maybe they got in late from the parks and had to pack for their departure today.

I am planning to head back to WDW in December 2020 with my DH, DD(18), and DD(21) and am very interested in a stay at OKW. We are just home from a trip and had planned to stop by the resort and check it out, but time just got away from us. We would be looking at renting points for a week stay, likely 11/28 - 12/5. I have no experience in renting points and would love some pointers. I am also looking for pros and cons of OKW. We love POFQ, with the size of the resort and the boat ride to DS. But I love all things tropical and the pictures of OKW look like it would be right up my alley.

I am planning to head back to WDW in December 2020 with my DH, DD(18), and DD(21) and am very interested in a stay at OKW. We are just home from a trip and had planned to stop by the resort and check it out, but time just got away from us. We would be looking at renting points for a week stay, likely 11/28 - 12/5. I have no experience in renting points and would love some pointers. I am also looking for pros and cons of OKW. We love POFQ, with the size of the resort and the boat ride to DS. But I love all things tropical and the pictures of OKW look like it would be right up my alley.
You will need to have that reservation locked down right at 11 months out because that is the busiest time of the year for DVC members, even for OKW. OKW is a lot bigger than POFQ, closer to PORS. But OKW is really nice. There are five bus stops (similar to PORS), but the buses run through the resort and not around it like PORS. Only three buildings have elevators, so if you have a problem with stairs, you might want to reconsider. But we've never really had a problem with the stairs, except when we get a third floor studio (got that three times and hopefully never again). The two of us usually book at one bedroom villa because we like the room. With four of you, the one bedroom still might be okay since the living room has both a queen sleeper sofa and a twin sleeper chair. The split bathroom means two separate sinks, but only one toilet and shower. Full sized kitchen and full sized washer and dryer completes the picture. We've stayed at OKW nearly 30 times in 22 years. It's our first home resort and we really like it. We currently have three more trips booked there for the next ten months.

You will need to have that reservation locked down right at 11 months out because that is the busiest time of the year for DVC members, even for OKW. OKW is a lot bigger than POFQ, closer to PORS. But OKW is really nice. There are five bus stops (similar to PORS), but the buses run through the resort and not around it like PORS. Only three buildings have elevators, so if you have a problem with stairs, you might want to reconsider. But we've never really had a problem with the stairs, except when we get a third floor studio (got that three times and hopefully never again). The two of us usually book at one bedroom villa because we like the room. With four of you, the one bedroom still might be okay since the living room has both a queen sleeper sofa and a twin sleeper chair. The split bathroom means two separate sinks, but only one toilet and shower. Full sized kitchen and full sized washer and dryer completes the picture. We've stayed at OKW nearly 30 times in 22 years. It's our first home resort and we really like it. We currently have three more trips booked there for the next ten months.

Thank you for the information! Is there somewhere I can research when it will be the easiest time of the year to score a DVC rental? I have a real hard time paying for a cash reservation when I know the cost difference LOL! I'm in the very early stages of planning, and my dates are flexible. My DD's birthday is 12/1 and she would like to be at Disney on her birthday, but I don't know that it's a must.

I have looked at the map and can see that the resort is quite a bit larger than POFQ, and I am ok with that. We've stayed at several resorts, but POFQ is my DH's favorite. I'm trying to get him to branch out and maybe find a new favorite. We don't have a problem with stairs and typically prefer them over elevators. While I would love to do a one bedroom, our budget says Studio. We stayed at AKL Jambo in a studio recently, and I really appreciated the kitchenette but the girls were not super excited to be sleeping on a pullout couch. It was fine, just not great. So the OKW looks to be the only DVC studio that has two beds?

Thank you for the information! Is there somewhere I can research when it will be the easiest time of the year to score a DVC rental? I have a real hard time paying for a cash reservation when I know the cost difference LOL! I'm in the very early stages of planning, and my dates are flexible. My DD's birthday is 12/1 and she would like to be at Disney on her birthday, but I don't know that it's a must.

I have looked at the map and can see that the resort is quite a bit larger than POFQ, and I am ok with that. We've stayed at several resorts, but POFQ is my DH's favorite. I'm trying to get him to branch out and maybe find a new favorite. We don't have a problem with stairs and typically prefer them over elevators. While I would love to do a one bedroom, our budget says Studio. We stayed at AKL Jambo in a studio recently, and I really appreciated the kitchenette but the girls were not super excited to be sleeping on a pullout couch. It was fine, just not great. So the OKW looks to be the only DVC studio that has two beds?
Yes, OKW is the only studio at WDW that has two queen beds (Vero Beach Inn Rooms have two queen beds, but they are quite a distance from WDW). The OKW studio is a bit larger than the AKV studio. But it will be a bit crowded with four adults. The bathroom is small and the sink, tub and toilet are all in the same room. There is a sink outside of the bathroom for the kitchenette, but it's not that good for bathroom tasks like brushing your teeth and shaving. Especially if you are preparing food there.

The busiest time of the year for DVC members is from about mid-Sept through mid-Jan with the first two weeks of Dec being the hardest to book, especially studios. The easiest time might be early Sept, early May and late Jan (but not MLK holiday week).

Yes, OKW is the only studio at WDW that has two queen beds (Vero Beach Inn Rooms have two queen beds, but they are quite a distance from WDW). The OKW studio is a bit larger than the AKV studio. But it will be a bit crowded with four adults. The bathroom is small and the sink, tub and toilet are all in the same room. There is a sink outside of the bathroom for the kitchenette, but it's not that good for bathroom tasks like brushing your teeth and shaving. Especially if you are preparing food there.

The busiest time of the year for DVC members is from about mid-Sept through mid-Jan with the first two weeks of Dec being the hardest to book, especially studios. The easiest time might be early Sept, early May and late Jan (but not MLK holiday week).

Wonderful, thank you for your help! I will definitely have a backup plan if we are unable to rent points.

We are trying to decide between a stay at OKW and AKL. Has anyone stayed at both and have thoughts on Disney bus service to/from the parks from each resort?

We are trying to decide between a stay at OKW and AKL. Has anyone stayed at both and have thoughts on Disney bus service to/from the parks from each resort?
We've stayed at OKW at least 25-30 times and love it there. Bus service has always been great. Never had a problem.
We've stayed at AKL-AKV about six times, four times in the Lodge in hotel rooms and twice at Kidani Village in DVC one bedroom villas. We've never had a problem with buses there, either, except for one time when there was an accident on World Drive that shut down the traffic exiting the Magic Kingdom and Epcot for an hour or more. But that was a fluke. MK takes a bit longer to get to, but Epcot was only about 13 minutes away by bus. Everyone always talks about how far AKL is from the rest of the world, but the rest of the world is pretty far from AK which is right next to AKL.

If you are staying on DVC points, if you get a studio, either KV or JH should work out fine. But if you are staying in a one or two bedroom, we feel that KV has it all over JH with the extra bathroom and the huge master bathroom. JH is converted hotel rooms, so the master bathroom isn't in the master bedroom. It's right across the hallway from the master bedroom. JH doesn't have the extra bathroom either. So if you have guests sleeping in the living room, that extra bathroom can be all theirs.

We've stayed at both, and the advantage with AKL is that there's only one (sometimes 2 if you're at Kidani) bus stops, so it doesn't take as long to get "on the road". At OKW, if you get on at the first stop, Peninsula Road, it can take close to an hour to get on the road (or at least it can seem like that long). However, DS and his family have only stayed at OKW and Kidani, and he said that next time, he'd definitely prefer to go back to OKW, partly for the boat ride to DS (he said that even if he didn't care to go to DS, he loved the boat ride).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter