***Official*** Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Information Thread *** Contains SPOILERS ***

So with the increased flow your wait is theoretically less.
I was showing theoretically your wait time would be the same (if everyone was to ride and to get a 50% reduction in time you need 60% FastPass people not to ride). So if you assume all FastPass people don’t ride then yes you get a reduction. I don’t think the exchange point between standby and FastPass doesn’t result in any deficiency of the ride capacity. As I think the counting occurs quite quickly after the exchange point there is always a wait and the seats are full.

I am sure many of us have seen disgusted faces on guests as FP guests move through and standby has to wait for them.
I agree with this statement and I think this is valid to prevent a mob mentality forming. The change was for guest satisfaction but it won’t make wait times shorter just make people perceive “fairness”. Though I fully expect Disney to still give some level of preferential treatment to their resort guests leaving that level of onsite offsite resentment.

Personally I feel the main reason they are making the change is still simply efficiency of controlling access to the land. Land is full no one gets in. People shouldn’t go in with the mentality that they will see huge savings in the amount of the time they will wait.

It’s pretty simple. Either with FP or without, the total time spent waiting in line for the population remains the same. With FP, a small group does most of the waiting. Without FP, waiting is equally distributed across all riders.
Correct that’s the point I was making it’s a perception of “fairness”. But to say outright a 50% reduction in wait time is possible is quite the stretch. It’s even more of a stretch of the Fastpasses given out are less than 90% of the hourly line capacity.

Correct that’s the point I was making it’s a perception of “fairness”. But to say outright a 50% reduction in wait time is possible is quite the stretch. It’s even more of a stretch of the Fastpasses given out are less than 90% of the hourly line capacity.
I do think that there are many people who will only ride if they have a FP, so removing FP will result in less riders and therefore less total waiting.

It’s pretty simple. Either with FP or without, the total time spent waiting in line for the population remains the same. With FP, a small group does most of the waiting. Without FP, waiting is equally distributed across all riders.
It's actually the opposite of your statement. With fp most people do longer waits and less people have shorter waits.

I do think that there are many people who will only ride if they have a FP, so removing FP will result in less riders and therefore less total waiting.
True which I did lay that out, but I wanted to debunk the myth that FastPass inherently increased waittimes, ignoring it might have made it easier for guests to ride who might not. It’s just I find 60% less to be a lot less.

Though without FastPass we are likely gonna start seeing spikes in the waittimes throughout a day.

It's actually the opposite of your statement. With fp most people do longer waits and less people have shorter waits.
Take FOP for example, I thought approx 90% of the capacity was given to FP. Wouldn’t this mean that most people that ride experience short waits?

I was showing theoretically your wait time would be the same (if everyone was to ride and to get a 50% reduction in time you need 60% FastPass people not to ride). So if you assume all FastPass people don’t ride then yes you get a reduction. I don’t think the exchange point between standby and FastPass doesn’t result in any deficiency of the ride capacity. As I think the counting occurs quite quickly after the exchange point there is always a wait and the seats are full.

I agree with this statement and I think this is valid to prevent a mob mentality forming. The change was for guest satisfaction but it won’t make wait times shorter just make people perceive “fairness”. Though I fully expect Disney to still give some level of preferential treatment to their resort guests leaving that level of onsite offsite resentment.

Personally I feel the main reason they are making the change is still simply efficiency of controlling access to the land. Land is full no one gets in. People shouldn’t go in with the mentality that they will see huge savings in the amount of the time they will wait.
Agree with all of this from a theoretical wait time perspective. I do think there will be some marginal decrease in overall standby wait times though, because some will choose not to ride under those circumstances. They’ll wait, book a VIP tour (relatively small number), or buy a FP if that’s an option. Not sure how large an impact that will make.

Also agree that the main benefit to Disney on this is more efficiency in controlling land access, and the “fairness” perception argument. And many on here seem to really feel that wait times will be much better for a headliner because of this (I’ve never fully bought that — I think there’s actually some evidence to the contrary, but it’s not a battle worth fighting to me). All ways that PEOPLE make theoretical efficiency messy!! ;)

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is expecting short waits but instead of 6 hours with fp it might go down to 4 without.
Of course all of this is only guessing and we will see may 31st
This is a 1/3 reduction which means it relies on 90%/3 of people in the FastPass line not to ride. Though I agree some will but I'm not sure it is that high.

Agree with all of this from a theoretical wait time perspective. I do think there will be some marginal decrease in overall standby wait times though, because some will choose not to ride under those circumstances. They’ll wait, book a VIP tour, or buy a FP if that’s an option. Not sure how large an impact that will make.
In my opinion, the perception of "fairness" will only get worse with the VIP tour, Paid FP, or special party if those are all allowed for SW:GE. Because while you no longer need to stay onsite (which I still fully expect some advantage given to onsite guests, which they sort of have for VIP tours) to get those advantages you do have to be significantly more wealthy to consistently do those things so the have vs. have not in terms of access to SW:GE with minimal wait times will only be exacerbated.

Plus paid FP in general will make the "fairness" issue worth if they do this to other headliners or even all rides (perhaps not all capacity but even some capacity will be an issue).

In my opinion, the perception of "fairness" will only get worse with the VIP tour, Paid FP, or special party if those are all allowed for SW:GE. Because while you no longer need to stay onsite (which I still fully expect some advantage given to onsite guests, which they sort of have for VIP tours) to get those advantages you do have to be significantly more wealthy to consistently do those things so the have vs. have not in terms of access to SW:GE with minimal wait times will only be exacerbated.

Plus paid FP in general will make the "fairness" issue worth if they do this to other headliners or even all rides (perhaps not all capacity but even some capacity will be an issue).
Not sure how it would be any worse than it currently is. VIP tours and add ons are big and well used right now as it is.

Us repeat loyal to the brand visitors know the ins and outs and always look at ways to save money on Disney vacations. First timers or general guests which there are more of would probably be more inclined purchase those add ons because they don't come to Disney often and this is their big trip.

Not sure how it would be any worse than it currently is. VIP tours and add ons are big and well used right now as it is.

Us repeat loyal to the brand visitors know the ins and outs and always look at ways to save money on Disney vacations. First timers or general guests which there are more of would probably be more inclined purchase those add ons because they don't come to Disney often and this is their big trip.
While it is the same, it is a "killing" of the "middle" class, those who could afford to stay moderate and value to get access to the 60 day FastPass. So now you have those who used to stay on-site at Value and Moderate may not be able to afford FastPasses at headliners or "skip" the line access.

I agree with both of you! I think there are risks to the paid FP approach if regular FP isn’t offered alongside. That’s part of why I’m skeptical they’d do that — or if they did, that it would be for very long before adding in regular FP.

But also agree that VIP tours and add-ons like early or late paid access have been around for a long time and on the increase — so in some ways this would more of the same.

But it does feel like it would be a new level of “classism” at Disney if the ONLY way to avoid long lines on a headliner is to pay. That would be new.

While it is the same, it is a "killing" of the "middle" class, those who could afford to stay moderate and value to get access to the 60 day FastPass. So now you have those who used to stay on-site at Value and Moderate may not be able to afford FastPasses at headliners or "skip" the line access.
I agree but that is for a whole other thread :)

Disney never seems to make it easy for people to plan.
The don't make it easy for people to plan for advantage. That makes it seem like they care more about the average guests' experience rather than the experience of guests who are especially "in the know". For example, everyone can rely on the fact that the parks will all be open by 9am and won't close until at least 5pm, and that Disney Springs is open all night. Beyond that, it's better not to place too many expectations on things that haven't been expressly promised.

Runsally's post didn't say anything about waits being "longer" or "shorter". What I read was solely about how the wait times will be distributed - who does and does not have advantage.

Last edited:
This would be me...I won't wait even 2 hours for a ride. But I don't know how many folks would do this. I would wait until FP+ is available to onsite guests and go then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter