• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Official*** Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Information Thread *** Contains SPOILERS ***

This would be me...I won't wait even 2 hours for a ride. But I don't know how many folks would do this. I would wait until FP+ is available to onsite guests and go then.
I think we did wait for almost 2 hours without a FP for FoP last year and it wasn't terrible. We had ridden it earlier in the trip with a FP but wanted to ride it again. It was just about at park opening, too. Still, we made friends with the people around us. Of course, it's much better with a FP!

You also have to look at a paid FP possibility. Less people would buy a FP for it than if they have free FP so there could be a middle ground.

And how they handle extra hours (morning or even) be it included or paid for

That also played a role with the Harry Potter attractions: while there wasn’t express pass you did get access to one of them each morning as part of early entry for on site guests

If they start having extra morning hours everyday for on site guests that could help appease those who see the 60 day access to FP as a big incentive for staying onsite if there is no FP

Disney set a precedence with this, Avatar and TSL, and any reason why is speculation, unlikely to ever be confirmed by Disney. However, I could see (and others on this board suggested some of these) the following: faster turn around for serving a guest, no worries about guaranteed access to the land which is likely to be consistently at capacity for major parts of the year, other popular park expansions haven't had any (think HP which has done well with Counter Service), and budget cuts. But all really share a common base element of crowd control to some extent (aside budget cuts)

Personally for me Table Service may have killed the vibe at Batuu, which is the site of "unsavory" people and those in hiding. So the counter service, IMO, makes the area seem more transient as I would expect from the way they are spinning Batuu. But I won't know until I see the land, just thought Table Service would seem too legitimate.

Also gives them something to add in the future to bring back people for return trips

I think we did wait for almost 2 hours without a FP for FoP last year and it wasn't terrible. We had ridden it earlier in the trip with a FP but wanted to ride it again. It was just about at park opening, too. Still, we made friends with the people around us. Of course, it's much better with a FP!
Yes, talking in line is fun...but for me, with bad knees, I can't do the two hour wait. Did it once last year with FOP as well, almost died!

This would only happen if you assume that people won't be riding the ride because of no FP and for this level of disparity you would be assuming a lot people wouldn't be riding. The ride has the same capacity to push people through and the existence of a FP line does nothing to reduce that capacity. It will make a "level" playing field with those on and off site for days that don't have EMH though. The people that were in the FP line need to go somewhere to ride the ride. I would assume the line waits could drop some only because some people might not ride but in the very beginning a lot will still. Just as many waited hours for Space Mountain or Test Track when FastPass didn't exist with similar wait times as the stand by has today.

Overall land capacity is probably going to be the overall driver of waits for people to experience the rides in SW:GE in the very beginning.

I also thinks FP just doesn’t work as well when there is just 1 ride that everyone wants. Can see that with FoP in AK now vs MK where while Mine Train still gets long waits there are a number of other accepticle uses for FP

With only one ride in GE to start everyone would want a FP for that and just doesn’t work well/too many people wouldn’t get them even if staying onsite and checking at 60 days out

Not sure I agree.

I’m not sure I buy that in this setup, my wait would be shorter than if they offered FP AND I actually showed up with a FP. As I have for every trip with FoP, for instance.

I can imagine that this is better for those who wouldn’t have gotten a FP though.

I think a year sounds like a REALLY long time for them not to offer FP. If they offer ONLY a paid version, I can imagine a lot of screaming.

It definitely will be a longer line than would be for those with FP but will help reduce standby getting to like 8 hours on a regular basis ... and as long as they are making the queue no way it could handle 8 hours so you’d have lines all through the land

I suspect the queue can handle 2 hours .... and based on descriptions I heard from media hat got that tour, the queue is sort of part of the ride with the views it gives you and some storyline elements told you

I do think that there are many people who will only ride if they have a FP, so removing FP will result in less riders and therefore less total waiting.

Hard to say in balance, because I agree some people would only do the ride with FP so now won’t ride at all ... but I suspect also people that wouldn’t wait 5+ hours but would be willing to wait 2 hours ... or maybe would be willing to wait 5+ hours once but not for repeat rides but would be willing to wait 2 hours a few times to ride multiple times

So give a little , take a little

In my opinion, the perception of "fairness" will only get worse with the VIP tour, Paid FP, or special party if those are all allowed for SW:GE. Because while you no longer need to stay onsite (which I still fully expect some advantage given to onsite guests, which they sort of have for VIP tours) to get those advantages you do have to be significantly more wealthy to consistently do those things so the have vs. have not in terms of access to SW:GE with minimal wait times will only be exacerbated.

Plus paid FP in general will make the "fairness" issue worth if they do this to other headliners or even all rides (perhaps not all capacity but even some capacity will be an issue).

Guess that is a broader discussion of fairness

But one could also argue it is more fair that those that spend more are entitled to more vs those that were lucky/fortunate to get a FP among those who pay to stay onsite to get the same access to FP

I've probably just missed it, but do we have a hourly capacity number for Smugglers run? How will it compare to Flight of Passage as a people eater?

I also thinks FP just doesn’t work as well when there is just 1 ride that everyone wants. Can see that with FoP in AK now vs MK where while Mine Train still gets long waits there are a number of other accepticle uses for FP

With only one ride in GE to start everyone would want a FP for that and just doesn’t work well/too many people wouldn’t get them even if staying onsite
I've probably just missed it, but do we have a hourly capacity number for Smugglers run? How will it compare to Flight of Passage as a people eater?
I’ve heard 1800. Not sure, but FOP around 1400?

I’ve heard 1800. Not sure, but FOP around 1400?

Don’t think we have anything official but my understanding is 7 cockpits per turntable and 4 turntables - so at any one time you can have 6 x 7 x 4 = 168 people riding

If it is an 8 minute experience including loading/unloading that means 1,260 people per hour. If that is only 6 mins then would be 1,680. So i would think somewhere in that range which I think puts it around the same as FoP

With only one ride in GE to start everyone would want a FP for that and just doesn’t work well/too many people wouldn’t get them even if staying onsite and checking at 60 days out
While that is true this has to do more with the perception of fairness (which I agree with it helps this regard) than the point I was making. My point is that FastPass doesn’t inherently make the standby line longer. Under the assumption that every individual that rides the ride still will ride the ride the standby line is the exact same wait.

For the 30%-50% reduction most people seem to be are expecting will only happen if we assume 40%-60% of the people that would ride through FastPass won’t.

Though I fully expect them to control flow to the land based on the standby line to keep it manageable and within the queue which in my opinion is the efficiency gained. No FastPass easier control of access to the land.

Guess that is a broader discussion of fairness

But one could also argue it is more fair that those that spend more are entitled to more vs those that were lucky/fortunate to get a FP among those who pay to stay onsite to get the same access to FP
As for this I see little difference because it is still classism. Those that can afford long holidays and spend money to stay in club levels or onsite just had a high chance at accessing it. The view I’ve gotten on here is people were upset that onsite guests got 60 days for length of their stay vs those who could only afford offsite. So some monetary cost was spent to get “lucky” to snag a FastPass prior to arrival. So both cases are helped by being wealthier or willing to spend money. In general a pure pay model is just worse because people who could afford values or even deluxe hotels might not be able to drop the 1-2k+ for a VIP tour or the 125+ per person for DAH but might have been lucky at the 60 day window. Now those people will be upset so you have a larger group of people upset at an even smaller group of people. Plus I fully expect a paid experience Disney is likely to give some benefit to those staying onsite.

Last edited:
While that is true this has to do more with the perception of fairness (which I agree with it helps this regard) than the point I was making. My point is that FastPass doesn’t inherently make the standby line longer. Under the assumption that every individual that rides the ride still will ride the ride the standby line is the exact same wait.

For the 30%-50% reduction most people seem to be are expecting will only happen if we assume 40%-60% of the people that would ride through FastPass won’t.

Though I fully expect them to control flow to the land based on the standby line to keep it manageable and within the queue which in my opinion is the efficiency gained. No FastPass easier control of access to the land.

As for this I see little difference because it is still classism. Those that can afford long holidays and spend money to stay in club levels or onsite just had a high chance at accessing it. The view I’ve gotten on here is people were upset that onsite guests got 60 days for length of their stay vs those who could only afford offsite. So some monetary cost was spent to get “lucky” to snag a FastPass prior to arrival. So both cases are helped by being wealthier or willing to spend money. In general a pure pay model is just worse because people who could afford values or even deluxe hotels might not be able to drop the 1-2k+ for a VIP tour or the 125+ per person for DAH but might have been lucky at the 60 day window. Now those people will be upset so you have a larger group of people upset at an even smaller group of people. Plus I fully expect a paid experience Disney is likely to give some benefit to those staying onsite.
I definitely think folks staying on site should get the FP+, why isn't it fair, it's part of the incentive to stay on site. It's the same as those paying more to stay at a moderate or a deluxe. Should we mandate business owners to make sure everything is fair?

Well, “classism” and “fairness” are two totally different things - and debating them probably belongs in a different thread

I definitely think folks staying on site should get the FP+, why isn't it fair, it's part of the incentive to stay on site. It's the same as those paying more to stay at a moderate or a deluxe. Should we mandate business owners to make sure everything is fair?
I didn’t say it wasn’t fair but a perception of fairness, so I’m inclined to agree with you. Just as it’s fair to those that can pay for VIP tours.

My comment was more to say I could see some people perceiving the system more fair, though in reality if paid experiences come out for GE it’s similar to now. Pay money for easier access.

Last edited:
Well, “classism” and “fairness” are two totally different things - and debating them probably belongs in a different thread
They do perhaps belong in its own thread but it was used as an argument for why FastPass had to go in GE so I was replying to that. But to say they are mutually exclusive in the comment being made ignores why people felt the FastPass line was unfair (or at least as expressed on here).

People felt it was unfair because major headliners required onsite stays (at least that’s the general consensus I’ve seen on here) for any shot, which was too expensive for some people to afford. This is grouping people into classes, those onsite and those offsite (which mapped to those who could and couldn’t afford something). Classism can create a sense of unfairness in the class of have nots.

Last edited:
They do perhaps belong in its own thread but it was used as an argument for why FastPass had to go in GE so I was replying to that. But to say they are mutually exclusive in the comment being made ignores why people felt the FastPass line was unfair (or at least as expressed on here).

People felt it was unfair because major headliners required onsite stays (at least that’s the general consensus I’ve seen on here), which was too expensive for some people to afford. This is grouping people into classes, those onsite and those offsite (which mapped to those who could and couldn’t afford something). Classism can create a sense of unfairness in the class of have nots.

Maybe just perception as I would say I see it much, much, much more often that of course people stay onsite should have better access to FP - that is one of the perks of staying on site

And, at least personally, we typically stay offsite fully knowing that has a negative impact on our ability to get headliner FP and understand that and have no issue with it

Guess I didn’t realize it was something some people have an issue with :confused3 I mean, if you spend more you should get more, why is that an issue?

I didn’t say it wasn’t fair but a perception of fairness, so I’m inclined to agree with you. Just as it’s fair to those that can pay for VIP tours.

My comment was more to say I could see some people perceiving the system more fair, though in reality if paid experiences come out for GE it’s similar to now. Pay money for easier access.
I just don't see "the perception of fairness" being a motive whatsoever, for Disney's reasoning. If you feel the "perception of fairness" is a side effect of their decision, I can definitely see that.

People felt it was unfair because major headliners required onsite stays (at least that’s the general consensus I’ve seen on here) for any shot, which was too expensive for some people to afford. This is grouping people into classes, those onsite and those offsite (which mapped to those who could and couldn’t afford something). Classism can create a sense of unfairness in the class of have nots.
I definitely think all points of view are what makes these threads so popular, otherwise, they would be boring. SWGE is larger than life for many people, a huge event...especially for all us Disney goers. However they design opening day and the days to follow will be whatever they decide. We can feel one way or another way about it, but it doesn't change the fact that Disney is going to do whatever they do, whether the majority of people like it or not. We live in a country where those with more, get more. Sometimes, those with less, manage to get more than they've earned, but don't get me started on that...LOL! Anyway, love all the debates, it keeps me excited about going.

I just don't see "the perception of fairness" being a motive whatsoever, for Disney's reasoning. If you feel the "perception of fairness" is a side effect of their decision, I can definitely see that.
Correct I see it as a side effect. My original post that got replied down (and lost in translation) was a reply to those who felt Disney it to would increase fairness of access to the ride. My point here was, as you said, that as a side effect and Disney likely has only made the change to control access to the land (and possible sell FastPass better to never offer it free then). The main point though, this fairness was a side point, was that in theory FastPass only significantly increases wait times if you assume a majority of those in the FastPass line wouldn’t ride.
Maybe just perception as I would say I see it much, much, much more often that of course people stay onsite should have better access to FP - that is one of the perks of staying on site

And, at least personally, we typically stay offsite fully knowing that has a negative impact on our ability to get headliner FP and understand that and have no issue with it

Guess I didn’t realize it was something some people have an issue with :confused3 I mean, if you spend more you should get more, why is that an issue?
Sorry I think my main point got watered down and lost (like a game of telephone) and I’m in agreement with this statement.
I definitely think all points of view are what makes these threads so popular, otherwise, they would be boring. SWGE is larger than life for many people, a huge event...especially for all us Disney goers. However they design opening day and the days to follow will be whatever they decide. We can feel one way or another way about it, but it doesn't change the fact that Disney is going to do whatever they do, whether the majority of people like it or not. We live in a country where those with more, get more. Sometimes, those with less, manage to get more than they've earned, but don't get me started on that...LOL! Anyway, love all the debates, it keeps me excited about going.
This absolutely true and a whole other debate if one even wants to open that can of worms, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter