Official: Marvel Land to come to DLR

I agree, I fully expect the theater to go. Bugs Land is so small. If you look at it on google maps, GotG alone is almost as big as all of Bugs Land. If they plan on having any popular rides in the new space they're going to need room for bigger queues. Unless they plan on taking over the backstage area behind Bugs Land, I can't imagine they can spare the theater.
They are likely going to also take over the parking lot directly behind bugs land.

I'm excited for the change. We've been going to DCA since it opened, and we remember the rush to bring in Disney characters (such as Amelia Earhart Minnie) and to put in "a bug's land", but we weren't unhappy with the lack of those things, even though our children were just about 2 and 3 when DCA opened. When the land did open, we took the toddlers over there a couple of times, including during the soft opening, but the rides were so generic. My kids truly grown up going to DL and DCA, and I don't think they have been on a ride in BL since the first couple of months it opened. The land is themed, but the rides are barely themed, and more like what they see at the county fair.

So, we spent our children's childhoods going to DCA without needing BL. At the time, CarsLand and TSMM didn't exist either, nor did the Monsters Inc. ride (and Superstar Limo was a once and never again). But they loved the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail area; when they were little we spent at least an hour there every time we went. I still think DCA is worth the park hopper price for a 3YO. DCA 2.0 really improved the park and there is so much for everyone.

My kids love Marvel; even the kid who somewhat still mourns the loss of ToT enjoys GotG, even if he wishes it hadn't been changed to begin with. (Same kid is ticked off about the whole Pixar Pier retheme.) They see BL as an area that is specifically and only for little kids, versus being for the whole family. A Marvel land is likely to have attractions that appeal to varying ages versus being aimed at toddlers only.

This is disappointing to me. Marvel just doesn't do a thing for me. My girls and I LOVED Bugs Land. And Star Wars, in my opinion, just doesn't belong at DL. Such a shame Disney is making constant big changes to my favorite place. Can't they just leave everything alone without big changes for at least a little?! Sorry I had to vent! ;)

Closing ITTBAB with no notice is kind of an awful move. No chance to say goodbye to folks who can't make it out to Florida.

Closing ITTBAB with no notice is kind of an awful move. No chance to say goodbye to folks who can't make it out to Florida.
It hasn’t drawn crowds in years and more often that not it was a movie preview over the past 3 years.

I'm looking forward to having some more Marvel rides. I bet Disney will do them well.

BUT....I hate that we're losing Bug's Land. Honestly, when we came to DCA for the first time in 2006, it was the only part of the park I liked. It was the only part of the park that was Disney!

I've said it before and i'll say it again. With SWL and now Marvel Land, Disney should've built a third gate. Instead, now two parks will be shoulder to shoulder all the time. It'll suck the joy right out of these parks.

RIP Heimlich's Chew-Chew Train. You were the best.

I agree. In fact it was one of my first thoughts. We were there in January, and my husband and younger two did watch the film while the older one and I did something else, but if we had known it was our last chance we would have watched it again. It's a very cute show. Fortunately we did see it at least once in the last year. We also saw the Cars 3 trailer, which my oldest loved because of the special effects in the theater.

Oh man...
we are visiting DLR for the first time this year.

Too early for Pixar Pier, Star Wars Land, and Marvel section.

We’re going to need another trip.

I do get it doesn’t fit with the words “California Adventure.” But MAN I love Marvel.

The more Disney phases out things for the little ones, the fewer folks will go with strollers, and I believe this is what Disney wants.

This is disappointing to me. Marvel just doesn't do a thing for me. My girls and I LOVED Bugs Land. And Star Wars, in my opinion, just doesn't belong at DL. Such a shame Disney is making constant big changes to my favorite place. Can't they just leave everything alone without big changes for at least a little?! Sorry I had to vent! ;)

I agree - I realize Marvel and SW are owned by Disney but they just don't feel Disney at all. I mean, my 55 year old dad will be excited by SWL but for my husband and I and our little kids? No thanks.

Also, like someone commented above - it's starting to feel like they're trying to be Universal which is less magical IMO. And the magic is what sets them apart and why people spend 4-5 days at the parks.

Last edited:
Fly. I'm talking about the general theme of Disney. Most of the rides are kiddy rides. Time for some adult fun.

Its a Bugs life is fun the first time but pretty junky after that.

Well.... it is Disney, not Universal or Six Flags. Adult rides are their specialty. Sorry but Disney was built as a place for all to enjoy, and there are lots of other rides that are more thrilling outside of the “toddler/grandma boats”. Star Wars land is being built and is not for little ones at all. Disneyland is a family place. Closing the only small area of this park dedicated to small children stinks for those of us with little ones. If you don’t have toddlers then it’s not important to you, but that doesn’t make it less important to the toddlers!

And Bug’s Life isn’t junky if you’re 2 years old, it has thrill rides when you’re only 30” tall. :-) Its all about perspective. You’re not the target audience, just like my 2 year old isn’t the target audience for Star Wars land

Glad they finally made the announcement. I know a lot of people will miss Bug's Land, but it really is the better way to go in terms of where to build since building into Hollywood Land would have had a lot more logistical problems. I can't wait to see what they come up with for this Marvel Land.

Well.... it is Disney, not Universal or Six Flags. Adult rides are their specialty. Sorry but Disney was built as a place for all to enjoy, and there are lots of other rides that are more thrilling outside of the “toddler/grandma boats”. Star Wars land is being built and is not for little ones at all. Disneyland is a family place. Closing the only small area of this park dedicated to small children stinks for those of us with little ones. If you don’t have toddlers then it’s not important to you, but that doesn’t make it less important to the toddlers!

And Bug’s Life isn’t junky if you’re 2 years old, it has thrill rides when you’re only 30” tall. :-) Its all about perspective. You’re not the target audience, just like my 2 year old isn’t the target audience for Star Wars land

So don't go to California Adventure which is geared toward the older crowd. Spend your time in Disneyland.

I fully believe that WDW is no longer all that interested in repeat visitors. They are catering to the one-and-done-blow-gobs-and-check-it-off travelers, IMO (and others').

I do wonder what these changes mean to a park that is referred to as a "Local's park."

I have a big family, and I understand the need for rides for all ages. I also understand sitting on an IP like Marvel and trying to cash in on it. They sat on Star Wars forEVER before doing much. Maybe they don't want to make the same mistake twice?

Last edited:
Interesting. I thought the "Marvels Summer of Heroes" was awesome in the space they used - primarily around Monsters, which DL had announced a year or so ago (can't remember where?) would close to make way for the new Marvel Land. I love Monsters and so do my kids. But as an "area" it is definitely lacking IMO. The Marvels Summer certainly livened up the area! Even into the night with an awesome dance party that both my kids loved! I will be so sorry to see Bug's Land go. I agree with so many posts.:(
Heimlich's ENORMOUS Belch was a fam fave....:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter