*****OFFICIAL July 2012 Thread! Feelin' HOT HOT HOT!

:wave2: Here's another July,2011 visitor.

Bangzoom I actually started the 2011 thread last year and had a blast planning along with everyone.:goodvibes

We just booked for next year from 6/21 - 7/5 at AKL.

I saw all the discussion on the TIW card and I think we are doing that this trip. The price of the DDP will be going up by $15 per adult. Since we are getting another AP it will be perfect timing to use.

Bangzoom I actually started the 2011 thread last year and had a blast planning along with everyone.:goodvibes

I saw all the discussion on the TIW card and I think we are doing that this trip. The price of the DDP will be going up by $15 per adult. Since we are getting another AP it will be perfect timing to use.

Hi there, and welcome to the July 2012 Thread! :goodvibes

You are going to love the TiW card! I know what you mean about the price of the DDP...insane! And the deluxe plan...more insane! I guess though, for the regular DDP, they finally added the refillable mug, so that's why the price went up so much?? :confused3

We did enjoy having the TiW card last year and not having to worry about dining or snack credits. DDP was too few TS credits for our ADRs, deluxe was way too many, plus way too many snacks...10 nights multiplied by 4 people would be a total of 80 snacks on the deluxe plan! :scared1: It was over a year ago, and I know that had we gone that route, I would STILL be eating Minnie's Bake Shop Cookies! :rotfl2:

Anyway, it's great to have another fellow summer vacationer here with us! And might I add........your 10-month mark is coming up in a couple of days! :banana: ;)

Hello Everyone - Just an FYI about the Australia Study Program Midori received. Midori started school on Wedesnday and came home so excited :banana: she could not tell me what had happen with all the screaming :jumping1: and jumping :yay: up and down.

2 of her 6th grade classmates :hyper::hyper::hyper: received the same invitation to study in Australia. We are all going to the same meeting on September 10th at UTA.

Wish us luck :thumbsup2

You are going to love the TiW card! I know what you mean about the price of the DDP...insane! And the deluxe plan...more insane! I guess though, for the regular DDP, they finally added the refillable mug, so that's why the price went up so much?? :confused3

We did enjoy having the TiW card last year and not having to worry about dining or snack credits. DDP was too few TS credits for our ADRs, deluxe was way too many, plus way too many snacks...10 nights multiplied by 4 people would be a total of 80 snacks on the deluxe plan! :scared1: It was over a year ago, and I know that had we gone that route, I would STILL be eating Minnie's Bake Shop Cookies! :rotfl2:

Anyway, it's great to have another fellow summer vacationer here with us! And might I add........your 10-month mark is coming up in a couple of days! :banana: ;)

:lmao: On our trip that just passed we had 52 snack creditspopcorn:: But we ate alot of icecream so they went fast.:rolleyes1

Hello Everyone - Just an FYI about the Australia Study Program Midori received. Midori started school on Wedesnday and came home so excited :banana: she could not tell me what had happen with all the screaming :jumping1: and jumping :yay: up and down.

2 of her 6th grade classmates :hyper::hyper::hyper: received the same invitation to study in Australia. We are all going to the same meeting on September 10th at UTA.

How fun would that be to go to Australia with your friends. Keep up posted.

Welcome!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see you here. :banana:

Glad to see you here too!!! We have always bought the TIW card and it pays for itself really quickly, especially with multiple trips in a year.

We lucked out and had a PIN for free dining last month. It worked out fine, and we got to try a lot of new restaurants - but TIW is so much easier to use.......

Good luck! Sounds like an amazing opportunity!

Sounds like some Pixie Dust was sent your way! :wizard: Best of luck to you...and please, keep us posted! ;)

We lucked out and had a PIN for free dining last month. It worked out fine, and we got to try a lot of new restaurants - but TIW is so much easier to use.......

Wow, that is very lucky! Free dining is something I will never get to take advantage of as a DVC member who always stays on points. But that was a choice that DH and I made when we decided to buy a DVC membership...the
1-bedroom villa with the kids was way more important to us.

When we went on our first WDW trip as a family, in 2008, it was before we were DVC. We stayed at POP, and we got the basic DDP because it was very easy...we only stayed 5 nights, and every TS dinner was all-you-can-eat. So I knew the exact prices before booking...and we had planned to just eat a CS lunch each day. My younger son was 14 months old, so he was free, and since we had AYCE dinners, it was very easy...kids under 3 eat free at those places. At CS, my older one (then 3) and I would share our meals with the little one, and it was more than enough food. We had a couple of snack credits left on the last morning, so I got some grapes and a rice krispie treat for the road. We paid OOP for 2 character breakfasts, and it was very easy to budget for the trip...it felt effortless. DH and I thought for sure we would always go with the dining plan, and we were happy that they allow DVC members staying on points to purchase it.

Then, I discovered the TiW card by reading about it here on the DIS and I agree with you...it is so much easier. At some meals (especially TS lunches), I would order an appetizer as my entree, and there was no worry if a dining plan credit would cover it...20% off of everything, no matter what we order. The alcohol drink discount is an added bonus of course! ;) The added benefit of the AP being $100 off for DVC members, and only one person per party needing to be a TiW Cardholder, was a no-brainer for me. Now we prefer TS meals over CS meals, and we saw last summer how we are really ready to relax and be served in an air-conditioned restaurant rather than wait in line, carry everything to the table, find a table and finally eat. TS lunches seemed to take the same amount of time as CS lunches, for us...and not much cost difference, especially when you factor in that discount! :thumbsup2

YAY...only a couple of more days and then we book! :banana:

How did you like Busch Gardens in Tampa when you went there? I have only been to the one in Williamsburg, when I was a kid, and I loved it there (and I don't do thrill rides!). Also, none of us have ever been to Tampa so we figured it would be nice to check it out.

YAY for us summer people! :goodvibes

My family loved Busch Gardens. It's a lot different than Disney. When we went in early July, it was almost empty, which was a little odd to me. But it was awesome because we walked on all the thrill rides and had the chance to spend lots of time talking to the people who do some of the animal demonstrations. We spent about an hour talking to a wonderful lady who was feeding the lemurs that are part of their ambassador program. I found it to be a wonderful place. And it was a lovely break between New York and Disney. It was almost like the calm before the storm. I don't know if it will be as relaxed when you go or if we just went on a freak day, but either way, I think you'll love it!

My family loved Busch Gardens. It's a lot different than Disney. When we went in early July, it was almost empty, which was a little odd to me. But it was awesome because we walked on all the thrill rides and had the chance to spend lots of time talking to the people who do some of the animal demonstrations. We spent about an hour talking to a wonderful lady who was feeding the lemurs that are part of their ambassador program. I found it to be a wonderful place. And it was a lovely break between New York and Disney. It was almost like the calm before the storm. I don't know if it will be as relaxed when you go or if we just went on a freak day, but either way, I think you'll love it!

Wow, BG sounds like a lot of fun, both for us and the kids! What day of the week were you there? We are checking into our hotel in Tampa on a Friday, and checking out on a Monday morning to head to WDW. We're planning to go to Legoland (brand new this October!) that Saturday, and head to BG that Sunday. Originally, we were going to go to Legoland from WDW one day, but the drive to get there is the same distance from Tampa, so we decided to just go from there instead and have more time at Disney. We are going to SeaWorld one day though, from WDW (much closer, in Orlando!). We are also heading to BG Virginia on the way home, staying in Williamsburg for 2 nights. So, instead of our regular annual purchase of the Sesame Place season pass, we will be buying the Super Grover pass for next summer...this includes admission to both BGs, and to SeaWorld...a lot less than we would pay for separate tickets for these parks. Just makes sense for us to do it this way.

SO, we will be leaving the house on Thurs., 7/19/12 and driving down to Florence, SC for the night. Then we are driving to Tampa the following day. Then, staying there for 3 nights, checking into BWV at WDW on 7/23/12 and staying for 10 nights. Then, planning to drive to Lumberton, NC and stay over one night, then to Williamsburg for 2 nights, then drive home from there. At least so far, these are our plans! Seems like they will stay this way, at least for now!

Next will be figuring out restaurant ADRs...I always have a lot of fun with this, and DH pretty much leaves it all up to me since I am the vacation planner in the family. I have a general idea of restaurants we will be going to though...still, it is fun to play around with the idea of different ones! :goodvibes

I just booked our trip through DVC Member Services! :woohoo:

Now it really feels official. I booked the first 7 nights, checking in July 23, 2012 (you could book up to 7 nights, 11 months out). I will be calling back the next 3 mornings to add the last 3 nights of the trip, totaling 10 nights. Very excited! :):yay:

Wow, BG sounds like a lot of fun, both for us and the kids! What day of the week were you there? We are checking into our hotel in Tampa on a Friday, and checking out on a Monday morning to head to WDW.

We were at BG on a Saturday. We drove down from NYC on Friday, checked into our hotel, went to BG on Saturday, and then drove up to Orlando and went to the parks on Sunday.
We're thinking of also going to SeaWorld this year. I really want to ride Manta. I just don't want to take a day away from Disney! So maybe we'll go to SeaWorld and then later that evening go over to MK or something. We will be in Orlando for 12 days, so we have plenty of time. I just hate going outside the World. I know we're not going to to Universal or IOA. We did the HP thing last summer and don't need to go again. However, I am considering driving down to Tampa early one morning, going to BG, and driving back to Orlando later that evening. I really want to see their new Cheetah exhibit and coaster. And I know that my mom wants to drive down to Clearwater beach one day. So we're going to have to find a balance between having plenty of time at Disney and doing stuff outside of Disney that we haven't done in a long time. Either way I'm sure it will be great! I've already decided where we're going to eat, and now I'm just not-so-patiently waiting for the 6 month mark. We found out that Disney is going to upgrade our passes from this year to APs even though we passed the 2 week upgrading deadline, so I'm hoping my dad will let us get the TIW card! Then maybe we can eat at more TS restaurants ;).
And your trip just sounds absolutely amazing! I've never met anyone before who drives and does something else besides Disney either on the way there or the way back. We always do that. This year it was Key West, last was DC, and the year before was NYC. Next year will be the first trip in a long time we're only in Orlando. I just love hearing that someone vacations like us and we're not totally weird! I hope you have a totally amazing time in Williamsburg! I love it there! And you'll have to report back on how Legoland is. I totally didn't know there was going to be one in Florida until you said that!
Anyway, as of today, I have 10 months to go until my trip, and you have 11 months until you arrive at Disney! How cool that they are exactly a month apart! Actually, that doesn't really sound that cool, but to me it is! I love how my ticker says 10 months instead of like 10 months and 2 days or something! You should have seen me at our 11 month mark for DVC. I made my dad call the owners of the points right when the DVC offices opened so we could make sure we got what we wanted. I was a bundle of nerves leading up to that point. I have no idea why. Planning stresses me out :upsidedow. But once you have the major details planned like hotels and stuff, it's all so much fun!

We were at BG on a Saturday. We drove down from NYC on Friday, checked into our hotel, went to BG on Saturday, and then drove up to Orlando and went to the parks on Sunday.
We're thinking of also going to SeaWorld this year. I really want to ride Manta. I just don't want to take a day away from Disney! So maybe we'll go to SeaWorld and then later that evening go over to MK or something. We will be in Orlando for 12 days, so we have plenty of time. I just hate going outside the World. I know we're not going to to Universal or IOA. We did the HP thing last summer and don't need to go again. However, I am considering driving down to Tampa early one morning, going to BG, and driving back to Orlando later that evening. I really want to see their new Cheetah exhibit and coaster. And I know that my mom wants to drive down to Clearwater beach one day. So we're going to have to find a balance between having plenty of time at Disney and doing stuff outside of Disney that we haven't done in a long time. Either way I'm sure it will be great! I've already decided where we're going to eat, and now I'm just not-so-patiently waiting for the 6 month mark. We found out that Disney is going to upgrade our passes from this year to APs even though we passed the 2 week upgrading deadline, so I'm hoping my dad will let us get the TIW card! Then maybe we can eat at more TS restaurants ;).
And your trip just sounds absolutely amazing! I've never met anyone before who drives and does something else besides Disney either on the way there or the way back. We always do that. This year it was Key West, last was DC, and the year before was NYC. Next year will be the first trip in a long time we're only in Orlando. I just love hearing that someone vacations like us and we're not totally weird! I hope you have a totally amazing time in Williamsburg! I love it there! And you'll have to report back on how Legoland is. I totally didn't know there was going to be one in Florida until you said that!
Anyway, as of today, I have 10 months to go until my trip, and you have 11 months until you arrive at Disney! How cool that they are exactly a month apart! Actually, that doesn't really sound that cool, but to me it is! I love how my ticker says 10 months instead of like 10 months and 2 days or something! You should have seen me at our 11 month mark for DVC. I made my dad call the owners of the points right when the DVC offices opened so we could make sure we got what we wanted. I was a bundle of nerves leading up to that point. I have no idea why. Planning stresses me out :upsidedow. But once you have the major details planned like hotels and stuff, it's all so much fun!

Wow, are we related?! :lmao:

Seriously, I totally agree with everything you said! This will be our third time driving down to Disney. In July 2008, we drove down to Boca Raton first, about 3 hours south of Disney. We stayed in Lumberton, NC the first night, then we drove just a few hours more to go to Savannah, GA. We spent the day on River Street, which was beautiful, and we ate at a great local restaurant...I had to try shrimp & grits for the first time when I was actually down south! And of course, I had to have some authentic pecan pie! ;) We stayed that night at a hotel right off of I95 so we had easy access in the morning. Then we drove to Boca Raton and stayed there for 4 nights. We visited my uncle (my grandfather's brother) and some friends. We took the boys to Butterfly World and a children's museum that I went to with my parents and grandparents when I was a kid. Then we went to WDW for 5 nights. We then headed back to Lumberton, NC overnight, and then we drove to the DC area to visit my old college friends (I went to University of Maryland and some of my friends are from MD and still live down there). We stayed for the weekend, then drove home. It was a great trip!

Last summer, we did a very similar trip, except we stayed 3 nights in Boca Raton, where my parents, sister and nieces joined us. They had taken the auto train on Amtrak from Virginia but we drove. We stayed overnight in Lumberton, NC an then in Palm Coast, FL. My mom hadn't seen her uncle since 2000 when he moved to Florida. You see, my grandparents (mom's parents) were killed in a terrible car accident in Tamarac (the town my uncle lives in) almost 25 years ago, and it is VERY hard for my mom to be down there. It's even hard for me, so I can't even imagine how it makes her feel. I didn't even want to go back last summer, but since she was coming I felt that I should, and I certainly don't regret it. After that, we spent 10 nights at WDW (my parents and sister stayed 4 nights). That was our first trip home as DVC members, and our first stay at BWV. It was amazing...DH and I said to each other that buying the DVC membership was the best thing. We said that the best part about it is, that even though we have to leave after 10 nights, we know we get to go back every 2 years and stay at BWV! We feel very lucky for that! When we left WDW, we drove to Lumberton, NC and stayed overnight, then we went again for the weekend to visit my college friends in the DC area. One of my friends had just graduated (change in career), and his graduation party was the night we arrived in DC! So that was great timing!

So, this year's trip is going to be different. No visits to DC this time...we said we could just drive down there for an overnight or a weekend one time in the Spring, or the summer, separately from the Disney trip. It's only about 4 hours from here, so overnight is just fine if we leave in the morning.

The last time I was in Williamsburg was in 1988 when I was 11 years old! And that was also the only time I went to BG...never been to Tampa, and always wanted to go. So this time, since we're not going to southern FL, I asked DH what he thought of going to Tampa, and he was all for it.

So, yes, I agree with you...I am waiting IMpatiently for the 6-month mark too! I am already looking at all the menus online obsessively, and trying to figure out where to eat...especially tossing different ideas around for Epcot! We are definitely going to San Angel for lunch and Biergarten for dinner one day. And we are definitely returning to Chefs de France, but not sure yet if it will be for lunch or dinner. So, I am tossing around Via Napoli for lunch and Chefs de France for dinner...and also Chefs de France for lunch and Rose & Crown for dinner. Never been to Via Napoli or Rose & Crown. Thought about Garden Grill, but we will already be going to Chef Mickey's, and my kids are not into Chip & Dale. And the food looks just fine, but with all the great countries in Epcot I would rather eat at one of those.

I have also been obsessing over where to eat when we first arrive. I've tossed around late breakfast at Boma (since we will be taking only a short drive from Tampa to get there), late breakfast at Kona, lunch at Sanaa, lunch somewhere at DTD, or lunch at a different resort restaurant. We will probably go with one of the lunch options, since we are staying at Embassy Suites in Tampa which includes free hot breakfast...and breakfast at Embassy Suites is very good and filling...no sense going for the same thing twice. But I definitely want to go to both Kona and Boma for breakfast on this trip...I can't pass them up this time!

OK, enough rambling for me now...I'm probably giving you a headache with all I am typing! :rotfl2:

Congrats on booking your trip!!!

I do not know when we will get to actually book ours. We are going to have a lot to juggle and we know we need to be leaving WDW no later than July 12th because that is when our APs expire..........

Still hoping to sneak a spring break trip in this year too! That, I might be able to book........

I am going to go join your trip report too!!

Congrats on booking your trip!!!

I do not know when we will get to actually book ours. We are going to have a lot to juggle and we know we need to be leaving WDW no later than July 12th because that is when our APs expire..........

Still hoping to sneak a spring break trip in this year too! That, I might be able to book........

I am going to go join your trip report too!!

Yay, I will see you over at my trip report! :goodvibes

Hmm...how many nights did you say you wanted to spend at WDW? Maybe you could make it a 4th of July trip? That way, you would be able to take a nice long trip if you want, and use your AP before it expires. A spring break trip sounds wonderful too! It is so much closer than July, and then you would get to go back about 3 months later! :thumbsup2

Keep us all posted...especially about the spring break trip, so we can live vicariously through your trip! :rotfl2:

Yay, I will see you over at my trip report! :goodvibes

Hmm...how many nights did you say you wanted to spend at WDW? Maybe you could make it a 4th of July trip? That way, you would be able to take a nice long trip if you want, and use your AP before it expires. A spring break trip sounds wonderful too! It is so much closer than July, and then you would get to go back about 3 months later! :thumbsup2

Keep us all posted...especially about the spring break trip, so we can live vicariously through your trip! :rotfl2:

This will be a July 4th trip - just not sure when we will arrive and depart yet. DD will be graduating high school and she does not want to miss too many grad parties - so she does not want to go too early in June, but we still have to be out of Disney by July 12th and we have another potential conflict that would require us to be home by July 7-8th.........the last few years we have stayed 2 weeks. Not sure if that will be an option this time. I hope we can do at least 10 days though. If we are lucky enough to get good air fare, that makes things easier too. Otherwise if we drive, it adds on time......

Do I sound confused? I am!!!! Not enough info to make all the decisions yet!

This will be a July 4th trip - just not sure when we will arrive and depart yet. DD will be graduating high school and she does not want to miss too many grad parties - so she does not want to go too early in June, but we still have to be out of Disney by July 12th and we have another potential conflict that would require us to be home by July 7-8th.........the last few years we have stayed 2 weeks. Not sure if that will be an option this time. I hope we can do at least 10 days though. If we are lucky enough to get good air fare, that makes things easier too. Otherwise if we drive, it adds on time......

Do I sound confused? I am!!!! Not enough info to make all the decisions yet!

I completely understand...driving adds at least an extra day onto the trip, each way...plus having to be back by July 7 or 8th...but I can tell you one thing. Staying 10 nights is wonderful. We felt like it was just the right amount of time to be there. We got to do so much, relax a couple of days and enjoy the resort and the pool, and we spent 2 days each at MK and DHS, and 3 days at Epcot (1 day was WS only). This felt a lot less rushed than in 2008 when we stayed 5 nights and went to MK twice, DHS, AK, and Epcot once each. We were at a park every day, beginning with a half day at MK on arrival day. So, no down time. Didn't go to the pool, the only thing we did at the hotel was sleep. So, don't be too disappointed if you can only go for 10 nights. By the time the 10 nights were through, we felt like we had been there for a really long time, but we also felt relaxed and we were OK with going home! Definitely much better than after the 5-night trip when it felt too short! :thumbsup2

Soon enough though, you will know what your plans will be! ;)

Wow, are we related?! :lmao:

Seriously, I totally agree with everything you said! This will be our third time driving down to Disney. In July 2008, we drove down to Boca Raton first, about 3 hours south of Disney. We stayed in Lumberton, NC the first night, then we drove just a few hours more to go to Savannah, GA. We spent the day on River Street, which was beautiful, and we ate at a great local restaurant...I had to try shrimp & grits for the first time when I was actually down south! And of course, I had to have some authentic pecan pie! ;) We stayed that night at a hotel right off of I95 so we had easy access in the morning. Then we drove to Boca Raton and stayed there for 4 nights. We visited my uncle (my grandfather's brother) and some friends. We took the boys to Butterfly World and a children's museum that I went to with my parents and grandparents when I was a kid. Then we went to WDW for 5 nights. We then headed back to Lumberton, NC overnight, and then we drove to the DC area to visit my old college friends (I went to University of Maryland and some of my friends are from MD and still live down there). We stayed for the weekend, then drove home. It was a great trip!

Last summer, we did a very similar trip, except we stayed 3 nights in Boca Raton, where my parents, sister and nieces joined us. They had taken the auto train on Amtrak from Virginia but we drove. We stayed overnight in Lumberton, NC an then in Palm Coast, FL. My mom hadn't seen her uncle since 2000 when he moved to Florida. You see, my grandparents (mom's parents) were killed in a terrible car accident in Tamarac (the town my uncle lives in) almost 25 years ago, and it is VERY hard for my mom to be down there. It's even hard for me, so I can't even imagine how it makes her feel. I didn't even want to go back last summer, but since she was coming I felt that I should, and I certainly don't regret it. After that, we spent 10 nights at WDW (my parents and sister stayed 4 nights). That was our first trip home as DVC members, and our first stay at BWV. It was amazing...DH and I said to each other that buying the DVC membership was the best thing. We said that the best part about it is, that even though we have to leave after 10 nights, we know we get to go back every 2 years and stay at BWV! We feel very lucky for that! When we left WDW, we drove to Lumberton, NC and stayed overnight, then we went again for the weekend to visit my college friends in the DC area. One of my friends had just graduated (change in career), and his graduation party was the night we arrived in DC! So that was great timing!

So, this year's trip is going to be different. No visits to DC this time...we said we could just drive down there for an overnight or a weekend one time in the Spring, or the summer, separately from the Disney trip. It's only about 4 hours from here, so overnight is just fine if we leave in the morning.

The last time I was in Williamsburg was in 1988 when I was 11 years old! And that was also the only time I went to BG...never been to Tampa, and always wanted to go. So this time, since we're not going to southern FL, I asked DH what he thought of going to Tampa, and he was all for it.

So, yes, I agree with you...I am waiting IMpatiently for the 6-month mark too! I am already looking at all the menus online obsessively, and trying to figure out where to eat...especially tossing different ideas around for Epcot! We are definitely going to San Angel for lunch and Biergarten for dinner one day. And we are definitely returning to Chefs de France, but not sure yet if it will be for lunch or dinner. So, I am tossing around Via Napoli for lunch and Chefs de France for dinner...and also Chefs de France for lunch and Rose & Crown for dinner. Never been to Via Napoli or Rose & Crown. Thought about Garden Grill, but we will already be going to Chef Mickey's, and my kids are not into Chip & Dale. And the food looks just fine, but with all the great countries in Epcot I would rather eat at one of those.

I have also been obsessing over where to eat when we first arrive. I've tossed around late breakfast at Boma (since we will be taking only a short drive from Tampa to get there), late breakfast at Kona, lunch at Sanaa, lunch somewhere at DTD, or lunch at a different resort restaurant. We will probably go with one of the lunch options, since we are staying at Embassy Suites in Tampa which includes free hot breakfast...and breakfast at Embassy Suites is very good and filling...no sense going for the same thing twice. But I definitely want to go to both Kona and Boma for breakfast on this trip...I can't pass them up this time!

OK, enough rambling for me now...I'm probably giving you a headache with all I am typing! :rotfl2:

You're definitely not giving me a headache! I'm just glad I've met someone on here I can relate to! :woohoo:
And I'm very sorry about your grandparents. :hug: But I'm sure it was liberating in a sense to go back.
Dang you guys go to a lot of places! I've wanted to go to Boca Raton for a while now. Did you like it?
And all of your dining ideas sound great! I don't eat at a lot of TS restaurants, but I want to change that. We eat at maybe 1 or 2 each trip and usually it's the same ones over and over (Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Le Cellier, Boma). So this time I want to branch out and definitely eat in some of the countries! I also want to try Via Napoli. I have been to the Rose and Crown (it was a very long time ago), but I remember all of us really liking it. They used to do an afternoon tea that was amazing, but they stopped. My mom took me when I was 3 and it's one of my fondest Disney memories.

I'm definitely thinking of lunch at Sanaa. Maybe the one with the animal specialist from AK? We love Boma so I thought we might like to try that. I've only ever been to Boma for dinner, but I've heard their breakfast is amazing! And I've also wanted to try Biergarten. My dad is from Germany, so I'd like him to eat there and maybe it'll bring out the German in him :rotfl: I'm also considering Citricos. I've heard some great things about that. And also Ohana. I started a thread over in the restaurants section asking where we should go to eat to celebrate my graduation and the winner by far was Ohana.

I'm also trying to figure out what tours and experiences I want to do at Disney and other parks. This July we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and we loved it, so I know I want to do more. I know for sure I want to do the beluga whale thing at SeaWorld. My friend is pushing the Discovery Cove dolphin encounter, but I've already swam with dolphins twice and I'd like to do something different. I'm toying with the idea of the Wild Africa Trek (is that what it's called?) at AK, but it's just so expensive. And I'd also like to dive in the Seas tank, since I'll probably get certified before we go to Hawaii in March. And of course I'd love to have lunch with the animal specialist at Sanaa. We did Dining With an Imagineer a few years ago and it was a truly amazing experience, so I'd like to do something like it. There's just so many options, but so little money! ;)

You're definitely not giving me a headache! I'm just glad I've met someone on here I can relate to! :woohoo:
And I'm very sorry about your grandparents. :hug: But I'm sure it was liberating in a sense to go back.
Dang you guys go to a lot of places! I've wanted to go to Boca Raton for a while now. Did you like it?
And all of your dining ideas sound great! I don't eat at a lot of TS restaurants, but I want to change that. We eat at maybe 1 or 2 each trip and usually it's the same ones over and over (Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Le Cellier, Boma). So this time I want to branch out and definitely eat in some of the countries! I also want to try Via Napoli. I have been to the Rose and Crown (it was a very long time ago), but I remember all of us really liking it. They used to do an afternoon tea that was amazing, but they stopped. My mom took me when I was 3 and it's one of my fondest Disney memories.

I'm definitely thinking of lunch at Sanaa. Maybe the one with the animal specialist from AK? We love Boma so I thought we might like to try that. I've only ever been to Boma for dinner, but I've heard their breakfast is amazing! And I've also wanted to try Biergarten. My dad is from Germany, so I'd like him to eat there and maybe it'll bring out the German in him :rotfl: I'm also considering Citricos. I've heard some great things about that. And also Ohana. I started a thread over in the restaurants section asking where we should go to eat to celebrate my graduation and the winner by far was Ohana.

I'm also trying to figure out what tours and experiences I want to do at Disney and other parks. This July we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and we loved it, so I know I want to do more. I know for sure I want to do the beluga whale thing at SeaWorld. My friend is pushing the Discovery Cove dolphin encounter, but I've already swam with dolphins twice and I'd like to do something different. I'm toying with the idea of the Wild Africa Trek (is that what it's called?) at AK, but it's just so expensive. And I'd also like to dive in the Seas tank, since I'll probably get certified before we go to Hawaii in March. And of course I'd love to have lunch with the animal specialist at Sanaa. We did Dining With an Imagineer a few years ago and it was a truly amazing experience, so I'd like to do something like it. There's just so many options, but so little money! ;)

You are definitely right about going back to the site of my grandparents' accident...it did feel somewhat liberating just to be there. It was a terrible accident (not there is such a thing as a good one)...they were coming home from a friend's house on a Friday night, and they were turning into the development where they lived (they had a gorgeous 4-bedroom house). As my grandfather made the turn, the car went right into a canal. The road was pitch black, no street lights whatsoever, and absolutely no guard rails around the canal. Someone inside a house right outside there witnessed the car go in and called 911, and told them that they needed the divers, as a car went into the water. They sent fire engines, police cars, you name it...but no divers. It took them about half an hour to send over the divers. My grandfather died that night, and my grandmother was on life support for 4 days but she was declared braindead. It was her wish NOT to ever be on life support, but according to FL state law (at least back then), a person had to have 3 flat EEGs in a row in order to be declared braindead and pull the plug. So my mom had to wait a few days. I was 9 years old at the time and my mom was 36. Everyone thought that my grandfather had suffered a heart attack and then lost control of the car...but the autopsy revealed that he hadn't had a heart attack. It is still a mystery as to the cause of this accident. We do know that there was a woman standing in the street barefoot when the cops came. They tried to talk to her, but she said she was going home to get some shoes first. They let her go, she promised to return right away, but they never saw her again. I have always believed that she was either on drugs, or something like that, and that my grandfather was attempting not to hit her with his car. But we will never truly know.

Shortly after the accident, they put up guard rails and made sure that road was well lit. I saw the guard rails when Iwent to the site in 2008...a car could still, very easily, get into that canal if they lose control while turning either into or out of the development.

OK, sorry to burden you with all that...but now I'll continue with other things...

As far as Boca Raton, it is beautiful! I know a lot of people who love going on vacation down there. We were mainly visiting relatives, but it is a very pretty area. However, I can't help but notice every single canal when I am down there, and the fact that 99% of them have no guard rails around them. The average person wouldn't notice this, but I do...every time.

OK...happier things now!

I definitely recommend Biergarten! My grandfather's mother was from Germany, and he was very picky about his German food. There was only one German restaurant where he would eat, here in NY...they closed a few years ago. :sad2: But...the food at Biergarten is equallyas authentic as it was at my grandfather's favorite restaurant. And I know he would love it and approve of it...so your dad would probably love it too! The atmosphere is amazing too...you feel like you are outside, but you are in comfortable air-conditioning! And the entertainment is also very nice, we enjoy it very much there. It's our favorite WDW restaurant!

Sanaa is also excellent. We also liked Boma when we went there for dinner in 2008, but DH and I had terrible heartburn that night (from all the spices, overeating, and all the desserts with alohol in them!), so we didn't go back in 2010. We're considering returning for dinner again next year to give it another try, but I definitely want to fit a breakfast in over there!

In Epcot, we also enjoyed the food at Chefs de France (went for lunch) and San Angel Inn (also went for lunch). The princess lunch in Norway also had great food, but the boys specified "no princesses" on next summer's trip, so we're not planning to go back there. I'm glad we tried it last year since it was so good. They also included a photo with Belle!

In the resorts, we particularly enjoyed Kona Cafe and Kouzzina. We like different types of cuisines, so it was nice to have all of this variety last year. Now, we prefer TS meals, even for lunch at the parks. It's a nice break, without having to wait in line to get your food and search for a table.

At DHS, 50s Prime Time and Sci-Fi were both very good, and had unique atmospheres.

So far, these are the restaurants I want to go to (but this could change 1,000 times before the 180-day window!):

Breakfasts: 1900 park Fare, Crystal Palace, Boma, Kona Cafe
Lunches or dinners: Kona Cafe, Kouzzina, Grand Floridian Cafe, Boma or Sanaa (or both), Biergarten, San Angel Inn, Chefs de France, Rose & Crown, Chef Mickey's, 50s Prime Time, Sci-Fi, Plaza or LTT (lunch only)

You are definitely right about going back to the site of my grandparents' accident...it did feel somewhat liberating just to be there. It was a terrible accident (not there is such a thing as a good one)...they were coming home from a friend's house on a Friday night, and they were turning into the development where they lived (they had a gorgeous 4-bedroom house). As my grandfather made the turn, the car went right into a canal. The road was pitch black, no street lights whatsoever, and absolutely no guard rails around the canal. Someone inside a house right outside there witnessed the car go in and called 911, and told them that they needed the divers, as a car went into the water. They sent fire engines, police cars, you name it...but no divers. It took them about half an hour to send over the divers. My grandfather died that night, and my grandmother was on life support for 4 days but she was declared braindead. It was her wish NOT to ever be on life support, but according to FL state law (at least back then), a person had to have 3 flat EEGs in a row in order to be declared braindead and pull the plug. So my mom had to wait a few days. I was 9 years old at the time and my mom was 36. Everyone thought that my grandfather had suffered a heart attack and then lost control of the car...but the autopsy revealed that he hadn't had a heart attack. It is still a mystery as to the cause of this accident. We do know that there was a woman standing in the street barefoot when the cops came. They tried to talk to her, but she said she was going home to get some shoes first. They let her go, she promised to return right away, but they never saw her again. I have always believed that she was either on drugs, or something like that, and that my grandfather was attempting not to hit her with his car. But we will never truly know.

Shortly after the accident, they put up guard rails and made sure that road was well lit. I saw the guard rails when Iwent to the site in 2008...a car could still, very easily, get into that canal if they lose control while turning either into or out of the development.

OK, sorry to burden you with all that...but now I'll continue with other things...

As far as Boca Raton, it is beautiful! I know a lot of people who love going on vacation down there. We were mainly visiting relatives, but it is a very pretty area. However, I can't help but notice every single canal when I am down there, and the fact that 99% of them have no guard rails around them. The average person wouldn't notice this, but I do...every time.

OK...happier things now!

I definitely recommend Biergarten! My grandfather's mother was from Germany, and he was very picky about his German food. There was only one German restaurant where he would eat, here in NY...they closed a few years ago. :sad2: But...the food at Biergarten is equallyas authentic as it was at my grandfather's favorite restaurant. And I know he would love it and approve of it...so your dad would probably love it too! The atmosphere is amazing too...you feel like you are outside, but you are in comfortable air-conditioning! And the entertainment is also very nice, we enjoy it very much there. It's our favorite WDW restaurant!

Sanaa is also excellent. We also liked Boma when we went there for dinner in 2008, but DH and I had terrible heartburn that night (from all the spices, overeating, and all the desserts with alohol in them!), so we didn't go back in 2010. We're considering returning for dinner again next year to give it another try, but I definitely want to fit a breakfast in over there!

In Epcot, we also enjoyed the food at Chefs de France (went for lunch) and San Angel Inn (also went for lunch). The princess lunch in Norway also had great food, but the boys specified "no princesses" on next summer's trip, so we're not planning to go back there. I'm glad we tried it last year since it was so good. They also included a photo with Belle!

In the resorts, we particularly enjoyed Kona Cafe and Kouzzina. We like different types of cuisines, so it was nice to have all of this variety last year. Now, we prefer TS meals, even for lunch at the parks. It's a nice break, without having to wait in line to get your food and search for a table.

At DHS, 50s Prime Time and Sci-Fi were both very good, and had unique atmospheres.

So far, these are the restaurants I want to go to (but this could change 1,000 times before the 180-day window!):

Breakfasts: 1900 park Fare, Crystal Palace, Boma, Kona Cafe
Lunches or dinners: Kona Cafe, Kouzzina, Grand Floridian Cafe, Boma or Sanaa (or both), Biergarten, San Angel Inn, Chefs de France, Rose & Crown, Chef Mickey's, 50s Prime Time, Sci-Fi, Plaza or LTT (lunch only)

That accident sounds horrible. I'm truly sorry. But it's a good thing that they put up guard rails and lights after it happened, so it wouldn't happen again. I live in Colorado and when we go up in the mountains, I cringe when the cliff side of the highway has no guard rails, especially since we get white out snow up there all the time and you can't see anything while driving.

I'll have to mention Biergarten to my dad. Sounds like he'd love it! Then again, we're talking about the person who doesn't want to do any TS meals at all :sad2:. And I will definitely try to get him to take us to Sanaa, also.

The 'no princesses' thing from the guys is like the complete opposite of my brother. He doesn't mind all the girly stuff like that at all. In fact, when we were talking about the Grand Floridian tea, we were assuming he and my dad wouldn't want to go. But he came along and was like, "Yea I want to go have afternoon tea with you!" I was hoping for a nice brother-free afternoon. :headache:

I'm not very educated about the resort restaurants. The most I know is what I read in the Unofficial Guide or what I hear on here. But Kona Cafe sounds wonderful. And I totally forgot that I've eaten at Sci-Fi before! It was my brother, my dad, and me and we walked up and got in with no reservation. I was around 8 years old and the movies they showed scared me. :rotfl: But they did give us awesome light-up ice cubes that we still have!

I'm trying to find a breakfast place to eat that's not a buffet. The only Disney breakfasts we have ever done were Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's. In Disneyland we ate at a lovely little cafe in New Orleans Square that had an awesome breakfast, so I'm trying to find something like that in Disney World. I'm big on pancakes and potatoes and the traditional stuff like that, so I'm going to have to do some research and see what I decide. Usually we make breakfast in our hotel because we stay in condos with kitchens.

But I've never even heard of the Grand Floridian Cafe. Have you eaten there before?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter