*****OFFICIAL July 2012 Thread! Feelin' HOT HOT HOT!

bangzoom6877

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! Anyone else out there as crazy as I am, and always go to WDW in the SUMMER?! When you have to chug your dole whip so it doesn't melt and drip all over you? :lmao:

I LOVE it!! :love:

In 9 days from now, we will be booking our trip for July 23, 2012-August 2, 2012 at our DVC home resort, Boardwalk Villas. I am eagerly awaiting that 11-month mark so this trip can be officially booked! Oh and by the way, we're just crazy enough to drive down from NYC! :rotfl2:

We've got a big road trip planned...staying over one night in South Carolina, then heading to Tampa for 3 nights, and going to Busch Gardens and Legoland from there, then heading to WDW for 10 nights. My parents, sister and nieces are joining us the last 4 nights, but staying at the Dolphin, a short walk from BWV. Then on the drive back up, we are stopping for 2 nights in Williamsburg, VA to go to Busch Gardens there. Looking forward to it already!

So...all you other July 2012 **hot hot hot** people...come and join in the fun! They say that getting there is half the fun, and planning is included in the journey! Are ya with me, people?! :goodvibes

I'm with ya! :cool1: We always go in July. And yes it is hot, hot, hot. And we are crazy enough to drive from Denver! :rotfl2: We made the trip from NYC to Tampa a few years back...in one day. You guys sound like you're doing it a lot like we did a few years ago. We drove from Denver to NYC in 2 days and stayed there for 6 days. Then we drove down to Tampa in one day and stayed for 2 nights to go to Busch Gardens. And then we went to Disney for 10 days! Woooo! Sounds like you're trip is gonna be a ton of fun!

Next year, we're going down for 13 days. We'll drive again. First we're staying at our timeshare at Sheraton Vistana for 7 days at the end of June. Then for the first 6 days in July, we'll be at BCV!!! :goodvibes This will be my first time at an official Disney resort that I can remember (stayed at the Swan a few years ago, but it's not exactly totally Disney and then the Disney Institute when I was 3). But I'm just glad to find out I'm not the only crazy one, going in July, which I would say is the hottest month of the year possibly. Yay for us who like it hot, hot, hot!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

I'm with ya! :cool1: We always go in July. And yes it is hot, hot, hot. And we are crazy enough to drive from Denver! :rotfl2: We made the trip from NYC to Tampa a few years back...in one day. You guys sound like you're doing it a lot like we did a few years ago. We drove from Denver to NYC in 2 days and stayed there for 6 days. Then we drove down to Tampa in one day and stayed for 2 nights to go to Busch Gardens. And then we went to Disney for 10 days! Woooo! Sounds like you're trip is gonna be a ton of fun!

Next year, we're going down for 13 days. We'll drive again. First we're staying at our timeshare at Sheraton Vistana for 7 days at the end of June. Then for the first 6 days in July, we'll be at BCV!!! :goodvibes This will be my first time at an official Disney resort that I can remember (stayed at the Swan a few years ago, but it's not exactly totally Disney and then the Disney Institute when I was 3). But I'm just glad to find out I'm not the only crazy one, going in July, which I would say is the hottest month of the year possibly. Yay for us who like it hot, hot, hot!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

DH and I are both teachers, so in order to do such a long vacation (total of 17 nights!), we have to go in the summer. Lucky for us we are off at the same time as the kids!

I have also been to WDW in mid-August, years ago, and I think it is even hotter than in July! We always go to the parks very early (get there before rope drop) and we leave early afternoon...it is usually in the mid-70s in the morning but VERY humid. But manageable...and by the time it gets SUPER hot and crowded, we are heading back to the resort to relax.

You will LOVE staying at a Disney resort! Our home is Boardwalk Villas, across the lake from BCV. Both are beautiful resorts! We also think this is the best area on property...for convenience. Walk to Epcot, take the boat to DHS (or a longer walk to DHS), and it is pretty centrally located on property overall. MK is a short bus ride away! :thumbsup2 Plus a lot of great restaurants in the area that you can walk to...but like you, we have a car with us so getting to other resort restaurants is never a problem!

How did you like Busch Gardens in Tampa when you went there? I have only been to the one in Williamsburg, when I was a kid, and I loved it there (and I don't do thrill rides!). Also, none of us have ever been to Tampa so we figured it would be nice to check it out.

YAY for us summer people! :goodvibes

Been waiting for a July 2012 thread to open. We will be going July 11 - July 22, 2012. Just love going in July since it is the only time our entire family can go. I'm not booking it until after the 1st of the year to see if my daughters get free dining again. Seems they get the code every summer, hope that holds true next year also.

I am glad to see we are not the only ones who like July for visiting WDW.

Joining in! Do not have specific dates yet but our APs expire July 12, so we know we will be there early July.

We have gone in July every year since 2008 - this summer we stayed at the BWI - but we are considering doing two rooms at a value resort for next summer because it will be more cost effective with DD turning 18.......plus more space to spread out.

So excited to start planning!!

Been waiting for a July 2012 thread to open. We will be going July 11 - July 22, 2012. Just love going in July since it is the only time our entire family can go. I'm not booking it until after the 1st of the year to see if my daughters get free dining again. Seems they get the code every summer, hope that holds true next year also.

I am glad to see we are not the only ones who like July for visiting WDW.

YAY! You guys are doing a nice long trip too! I love being there for 10 nights...I feel so relaxed, not rushed in the parks, and it's just an awesome escape from reality.

A lot of people like going in July...just look at the crowds there! :rotfl2:

Joining in! Do not have specific dates yet but our APs expire July 12, so we know we will be there early July.

We have gone in July every year since 2008 - this summer we stayed at the BWI - but we are considering doing two rooms at a value resort for next summer because it will be more cost effective with DD turning 18.......plus more space to spread out.

So excited to start planning!!

We were there July 2008 and July 2010. We go every other year, and in the years in between we do something else. In 2009 we went to Lancaster and Hershey, PA. Last week, we came home from a week-long cruise to the Bahamas and Florida.

That's great that you will be able to use your APs again! We all get the 6-day ticket from Undercover Tourist, then I upgrade mine to an AP (DVC members get a $100 discount), and we buy the Tables in Wonderland card to save 20% off of dining. On a 10-night stay last year, this was the most cost effective for us. At first we were going to get one of the dining plans, but then when I made our ADRs, none of them fit into our plans. Either we had too few TS meals credits, or way too many. I added up all the money spent between the upgrade to the AP, the cost of the TiW card, and the cost of all the food, and it still came out less than the deluxe dining plan, by more than $200. An added bonus...the 20% off was for alcoholic beverages too, and we like to get a drink with dinner sometimes so this was a plus.

Our plans are well underway! I pretty much already know which restaurants we will be going to! :lmao:

Alright, :thumbsup2 I have been waiting for this day :yay: - thanks for posting the July 2012 thread. We are in.........:banana:

Caribbean Beach Resort July 14th - 22nd

We were there July 2008 and July 2010. We go every other year, and in the years in between we do something else. In 2009 we went to Lancaster and Hershey, PA. Last week, we came home from a week-long cruise to the Bahamas and Florida.

That's great that you will be able to use your APs again! We all get the 6-day ticket from Undercover Tourist, then I upgrade mine to an AP (DVC members get a $100 discount), and we buy the Tables in Wonderland card to save 20% off of dining. On a 10-night stay last year, this was the most cost effective for us. At first we were going to get one of the dining plans, but then when I made our ADRs, none of them fit into our plans. Either we had too few TS meals credits, or way too many. I added up all the money spent between the upgrade to the AP, the cost of the TiW card, and the cost of all the food, and it still came out less than the deluxe dining plan, by more than $200. An added bonus...the 20% off was for alcoholic beverages too, and we like to get a drink with dinner sometimes so this was a plus.

Our plans are well underway! I pretty much already know which restaurants we will be going to! :lmao:

I think I remember you from the July Board last year.....we did 14 days this year and I was lucky enough to get free dining, so we had a great time trying a lot of new places. We did also buy the TIW card, so we have that for next trip. We will probably do a slightly shorter vacation next July. We are hoping to go down for spring break too.....plans are still up in the air at this point.

Alright, :thumbsup2 I have been waiting for this day :yay: - thanks for posting the July 2012 thread. We are in.........:banana:

Ok, that makes the three of us from the July 11 Board!!!

YAY! I looked to see if anyone had started a July 2012 thread, and there weren't any, so I figured I would be the one to start one this time. Doesn't it make the trip that much closer to have this thread?! ;)

I think I remember you from the July Board last year.....we did 14 days this year and I was lucky enough to get free dining, so we had a great time trying a lot of new places. We did also buy the TIW card, so we have that for next trip. We will probably do a slightly shorter vacation next July. We are hoping to go down for spring break too.....plans are still up in the air at this point.

Yes, I was on the July 2010 thread last year! We loved the TiW card and my parents and sister were happy that they also were able to get the discount when we dined together (good for up to a party of 10). It was awesome having that, and the 10% off in the shops for AP holders definitely helped too! :goodvibes

I did some of the math, and as of now it looks like the upgrade to an AP plus the TiW card will be our best bet for dining. The dining plans are going up so much, and we are not eligible for free dining since we stay on our DVC points.

So far we all have different resorts planned too...it will be nice to hear about all of them!

YAY! I looked to see if anyone had started a July 2012 thread, and there weren't any, so I figured I would be the one to start one this time. Doesn't it make the trip that much closer to have this thread?! ;)

Yes, I was on the July 2010 thread last year! We loved the TiW card and my parents and sister were happy that they also were able to get the discount when we dined together (good for up to a party of 10). It was awesome having that, and the 10% off in the shops for AP holders definitely helped too! :goodvibes

I did some of the math, and as of now it looks like the upgrade to an AP plus the TiW card will be our best bet for dining. The dining plans are going up so much, and we are not eligible for free dining since we stay on our DVC points.

So far we all have different resorts planned too...it will be nice to hear about all of them!

I am really glad you started this thread! Free dining worked out for us because I had not yet purchased the AP, so we just upgraded the tickets on the package. That will not be an option next year even if it happened. I love the TIW card - really helps! DS is not a big eater, so the dining plan is too expensive for someone who only gets mac/cheese or chicken nuggets.

I will keep you updated as our plans work out. DD is graduating from high school in June and we have to juggle graduation parties and college plans once we know them.

I am really glad you started this thread! Free dining worked out for us because I had not yet purchased the AP, so we just upgraded the tickets on the package. That will not be an option next year even if it happened. I love the TIW card - really helps! DS is not a big eater, so the dining plan is too expensive for someone who only gets mac/cheese or chicken nuggets.

I will keep you updated as our plans work out. DD is graduating from high school in June and we have to juggle graduation parties and college plans once we know them.

You will probably do much better with the TiW card than if you hadn't gotten it and paid rack rate for your room and tickets again...you get another use our of the TiW card and your AP this way, and all your food and alcohol at TS places will be 20% off! I also like it that they add in the gratuity so we don't have to figure it out or do it ourselves...just an added convenience. Since we normally tip 20%, the 18% gratuity is actually less than we normally give...but we know we can give a little extra for superb service.

It's so exciting that your DD is graduating from HS! Soon all the college applications will begin. Best of luck to her! The years must have flown by for you. My sons are going into 1st grade and pre-k and I can't even believe how quickly these years have passed...before I turn around, 10 more years will pass!

I have been working on our trip budget this morning. Looks like we will do best by upgrading our usual Sesame Place season passes to the super grover version (includes Busch Gardens and SeaWorld). This will cost us $370 more than the usual passes we get, but the tickets to BG Tampa, SeaWorld, and BG Williamsburg altogether would cost hundreds more. Plus, sometimes Sesame Place has a deal in the Fall where you buy the season pass for the following season, and buy 3 get 1 free...works great for us since we are 4 people. I booked our hotels already for the drive down, Tampa, the drive back, and Williamsburg, so I have the cost of those. Every hotel I booked includes breakfast, making it easier to budget.

Once the school year starts in 3 weeks and I am back at work, I will not have as much time to do all this planning, so I traditionally start doing it before heading back to work. Then, when I have time in the Fall, I will be obsessing over my restaurant ADRs until I can book them in January! ;)

Wow! Bangzoom 6877 you are very organized this early on. We have the dates we want to go but that is as far as I've gotten. Not sure yet who is flying and who is driving so can't make motel plans yet. Not even sure yet how many for sure are going - right now there are 8 of us. We usually travel wtih between 8 and 20.

I have a ? What is the TIW and how do you get it? Do you have to be a season pass holder? If one of the girls don't get a free dining pin we may need to look at some other option. The dining plan is great when it isfree but way to expensive for my blood when paying out of pocket. Don't eat the desserts anyway and carry my own bottled water so don't need a drink. Of course I take them if they are free and the grandkids will usually eat it later in the day, but they don't need all that sugar either.

Can't wait to go. So glad to see a few familiar diser's on this thread from the July 2011 thread. Hoping to make a dis meet in 2012!:dance3:

bangzoom6877 said:
I looked to see if anyone had started a July 2012 thread, and there weren't any, so I figured I would be the one to start one this time. Doesn't it make the trip that much closer to have this thread?! ;)

Yes, you are right :thumbsup2 - it does make it feel like your vacation is right around the corner. :yay: My DD :music: starts school this morning and usually once she starts school, all of the annual Holiday's start flying by pixiedust:. Before you know it it's Spring Break :beach: and then the count down really starts. :badpc:

Wow! Bangzoom 6877 you are very organized this early on. We have the dates we want to go but that is as far as I've gotten. Not sure yet who is flying and who is driving so can't make motel plans yet. Not even sure yet how many for sure are going - right now there are 8 of us. We usually travel wtih between 8 and 20.

I have a ? What is the TIW and how do you get it? Do you have to be a season pass holder? If one of the girls don't get a free dining pin we may need to look at some other option. The dining plan is great when it isfree but way to expensive for my blood when paying out of pocket. Don't eat the desserts anyway and carry my own bottled water so don't need a drink. Of course I take them if they are free and the grandkids will usually eat it later in the day, but they don't need all that sugar either.

Can't wait to go. So glad to see a few familiar diser's on this thread from the July 2011 thread. Hoping to make a dis meet in 2012!:dance3:

The TIW is the Tables in Wonderland card....and yes, you need to be a passholder or a Florida resident. It gives 20% off of food and beverages (including alcohol) at primarily table service restaurants. There are a few counter service restaurants that also honor it (the value resort food courts and a few in AK).

I agree, the dining plan is way too expensive for us. We have done the math inside and out and can always eat cheaper without it. Unless I have a free dining PIN, we do not get it.

bangzoom6877 said:
I looked to see if anyone had started a July 2012 thread, and there weren't any, so I figured I would be the one to start one this time. Doesn't it make the trip that much closer to have this thread?! ;)

Yes, you are right :thumbsup2 - it does make it feel like your vacation is right around the corner. :yay: My DD :music: starts school this morning and usually once she starts school, all of the annual Holiday's start flying by pixiedust:. Before you know it it's Spring Break :beach: and then the count down really starts. :badpc:

Yes, with school starting time is going to fly by. We are hoping to go down for spring break so that will be my appetizer for summer if it works out!

You need to be either an AP holder or a FL resident to get the TiW card. If you are an AP holder, currently the price of the TiW card is $75. Only one person needs to be an AP holder and get the TiW card, and as long as that person is present for the meals at qualifying restaurants, your entire party (up to 10 people) gets 20% off of food and beverages, including alcohol. To save money, we buy our tickets at Undercover Tourist. All their prices are complete, including tax, and shipping is free. Then, on the day we check in, I walk from BWV to Epcot, enter the park and exit, and then upgrade my ticket to the AP and purchase the TiW card, all at the same time. Entering a theme park helps, because since we pay less for tickets at UT, if I then enter a park before upgrading, their computer will only charge me the difference between Disney's current ticket price and the price of the AP. So it save a few more dollars doing it this way. Of course, the DVC member discount of $100 off an AP helps us out a lot too.

The TS restaurants (including Bistro de Paris, Victoria & Albert's regular tables, DTD and Swan/Dolphin, places that don't take the DDP) give 20% off all food and beverages. They add an automatic 18% gratuity. CS places at AK and the value resorts also accept the card.

Wow, you travel with a nice group! I love traveling with a lot of people...it's lots of fun! :goodvibes

bangzoom6877 said:

True, true...I go back to work the day after Labor Day, and the kids go back to school 2 days after that. Once that all begins, and with all the Fall holidays, time sure will fly! Then, once we get through that "depressing dead of winter" part of the year, the trip will seem much closer! ;)

I have been looking at different info online for the MK Fantasyland expansion. I did spot a few construction photos, and it looks like Beast's Castle is WELL underway! I am sooooo hoping that the Be Our Guest restaurant will be up and running by the time we go. All it says as far as attractions and areas opening, is that it will begin late in 2012. I am hoping that means that by summer, some things will be open.

I have my own theory too...even though they don't specify what will open first, I have a feeling that the Be Our Guest restaurant will be the first, since it seats 550 people and will make a TON of money for them, compared to rides which are included in the ticket price already. Just a theory, and wishful thinking on my part too! ;)

When we were there last month we spoke with a CM who thought that some things may even open as early as November because of the 40th anniversary, and then other things would be opened gradually. The Beast castle did look like it was well underway - I cannot wait to see the new expansion too.

When we were there last month we spoke with a CM who thought that some things may even open as early as November because of the 40th anniversary, and then other things would be opened gradually. The Beast castle did look like it was well underway - I cannot wait to see the new expansion too.

That's great to hear! I'm telling you...the more I think about it, the more I think Beast's Castle will be one of the first...and I think about it a lot, believe me! :lmao:

It sure will be interesting to see what Fantasyland looks like in 11 months from now! :goodvibes

Hey, do any of you guys use Tour Guide Mike, Ride Max, Touring Plans, or any other planning tools? I have used Tour Guide Mike for our last 2 trips, and everything he said worked like a charm! Our park strategy is to arrive before rope drop, leave early afternoon, and then maybe come back early evening if we have a dinner ADR and there is something else we want to do. We haven't done any of the nighttime entertainment at the parks with the kids yet. Last year, we had a standard view 1-bedroom at BWV, and we were able to see some of the Epcot fireworks from our villa, so we watched this every night! :thumbsup2

We do not use TGM, tried it once and it did not work for us, but I have teenagers who like to sleep in a bit. We usually are out later and sleep in. The past few years we have done 12-14 days, so in that time frame we can be more flexible. We did make it to rope drop a few times this summer though......

We do not use TGM, tried it once and it did not work for us, but I have teenagers who like to sleep in a bit. We usually are out later and sleep in. The past few years we have done 12-14 days, so in that time frame we can be more flexible. We did make it to rope drop a few times this summer though......

Oh yes, TGM does always recommend going to the parks early and taking an afternoon break. So for us, his strategy works, for now. But my kids are young (only 6 and 4 right now), so they go to bed early and get up early...so it works for us. In years to come though, as the boys get older...we will probably end up doing things more like you do. One other thing I do, against TGM's advice...is go to the parks on EMH mornings. He says to do this only if necessary, if there is no other day you can go to that park. But we make sure to get there well before rope drop, and we do leave after lunch. I find that with a specific enough plan, we get a lot more accomplished earlier, and we don't notice the crowds.

By the way, I do remember you from the July 2010 thread! All of a sudden, the name "tinkerbell60" rang a bell! :goodvibes

Only 4 more days to go until we book! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter