Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
here you go

4441876195_d7698a7862.jpg

I want to order a cake for my DH's 43rd birthday. Should I order it for an in-room celebration from the COntemporary Resort or for after dinner at Jiko's? Who makes the better cake?

Also, any recommendations? I love the 40th birthday Mad Hatter cake above. I wan't something a little more on the sophisticated front. I am not opposed to Mickey being in the cake. DH's real passion is trading stocks! :rotfl:

does ayone know if i order the mini wedding cake if it can be another colour besides white?

I'm a cake-ordering newbie:cool1:--we'll be staying at WL, don't know if that makes a difference. I want to order a really nice cake for my mom's birthday. I've heard Boardwalk and GF are both great--any preferences/advice? How do I arrange it and have it delivered?

Thanks so much in advance!:goodvibes

If you check out the cake chatter thread, it seems like the nicest cakes these days are coming from the Contemporary pastry gurus ... and they are the ones making custom cakes for WL too. Call the Contemporary's private dining (number should be on the first page of the cake chatter thread), tell them you want a custom cake and would like the pastry chef's email to discuss. (I think that is the proper approach - someone else will certainly correct me, if I am wrong!)

95% of the time, the GF and BW bakeries will not deliver to another resort ... it has occasionally happened but it involved some pixie dust and cannot be counted on. If you really want a cake from one of them, the easiest bet is to eat at one of their restaurants.

GL!

Sorry that I suck at this but I'm trying to post this before I go to work. Click on the link and you will see the haunted mansion cake that I ordered for my husband for our upcoming trip in May. It will be for our 22nd anniversary. I ordered it for the California Grill and the cost is $65. Hope this helps!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48486361@N04/

here you go

4441876195_d7698a7862.jpg

Thanks for the info!! I was going to order a Mickey Head or something with villains for my brother's birthday, but this might be much better!!! We're not getting any younger you know!! :lmao:

oh i should have said it's Anna's pic - she posted the link - i just posted the photo for her

Just wondering if the BW bakery will deliver a cake to a room at the BW villas?

Also, any idea of the types of cakes they will make?

Can I get an 8 inch yellow or marble cake with raspberry mousse filling and buttercream icing with a colored fondant fully decorated cake?

I'm considering this for my DDs 21st birthday celebration.

TIA

TY Kurby. Someday when I am older I'll take the time to actually learn how to do it ;)

Hey cake experts! I'm new here so I just wanted a few bits of advice about ordering a cake. My dad told me to do some researching for a birthday cake and it's only four more days until the trip so I need to decide ASAP!

First, I'm not quite sure what the difference is between a 'normal' cake and a 'fancy' cake. Is a normal cake just a premade cake with limited decorative choices? And a fancy cake a cake with fondant, characters, etc.? My family and I will be celebrating my 21st birthday and I would like a Toy Story themed cake.

Second, I've noticed that the only locations which 'fancy' cakes are available are resorts. We will be having eight dinners, only two of which are located in a resort - Cape May and Ohana. I haven't heard of many good things about the cakes that come out of the Polynesian bakery so I think my only choice would be Cape May. Am I right or wrong? And if I am right, has anyone ordered from the Beach Club bakery and what were the results?

Third, if I decide to order a cake from BW and utilize the pick-up option, can I bring it to the restaurant of my choice early in the day and request it to be presented at the table after dinner?

Thank you so much for any help!

First, I'm not quite sure what the difference is between a 'normal' cake and a 'fancy' cake. Is a normal cake just a premade cake with limited decorative choices? And a fancy cake a cake with fondant, characters, etc.?

Exactly. Sounds like you're gonna need a fancy cake.

Second, I've noticed that the only locations which 'fancy' cakes are available are resorts. We will be having eight dinners, only two of which are located in a resort - Cape May and Ohana. I haven't heard of many good things about the cakes that come out of the Polynesian bakery so I think my only choice would be Cape May. Am I right or wrong? And if I am right, has anyone ordered from the Beach Club bakery and what were the results?

You're right! Lots of good-looking fancy cakes made by the Yacht & Beach Club bakery have been posted in the three incarnations of this thread. :thumbsup2

Third, if I decide to order a cake from BW and utilize the pick-up option, can I bring it to the restaurant of my choice early in the day and request it to be presented at the table after dinner?

For a long time, Disney's policy has been that health codes prevent restaurants from storing cakes not made by that restaurant. However, there has been anecdotal evidence on this thread that they will do it for you. Then again, you don't want to wait til the day of and find out you can't do it. I say just get the YC&BC Bakery to make the cake for your Cape May meal. :thumbsup2

For a long time, Disney's policy has been that health codes prevent restaurants from storing cakes not made by that restaurant. However, there has been anecdotal evidence on this thread that they will do it for you. Then again, you don't want to wait til the day of and find out you can't do it. I say just get the YC&BC Bakery to make the cake for your Cape May meal. :thumbsup2

There was just a thread in regards to this topic. A DISer had picked-up a cake at the BW bakery and the restaurant manager at CM could not let her keep it in their kitchen to be brought out and served to her at the conclusion of her meal due to health code violations.

Since Disney is not the one that makes up the health code rules – but must abide by them – I wouldn’t expect any restaurant manager to allow a cake to be brought in and kept in the kitchen. However, it sounds as if the managers will allow you to bring the cake in to keep with you at your table. It just can’t go back to the kitchen.

The Beach/Yacht club has done some beautiful cakes. I do recommend ordering through them. This way the cake can be delivered to their kitchen and served to you and will be less hassle for you.

I just read through this thread and there are some terrific stories and cakes on here!:)

My questions are:

1) The Cinderella slippers...where can I get them? We'll be staying at BLT but do have one dinner at Narcoossee's.

2) White chocolate is yucky:sick:...how do you get them in real chocolate?

3) Those cute little treasure chests; how would I order one of those for my son? I am not so sure he'd be happy with a slipper.:rolleyes1

Thanks everyone!

I just read through this thread and there are some terrific stories and cakes on here!:)

My questions are:

1) The Cinderella slippers...where can I get them? We'll be staying at BLT but do have one dinner at Narcoossee's.

3) Those cute little treasure chests; how would I order one of those for my son? I am not so sure he'd be happy with a slipper.:rolleyes1

Thanks everyone!

1. Only at CRT and at the GF restaurants.

2. Only comes in White choc and a select few were surprised with a Dark choc one but they will not let you order it. It's always been a surprise with no rhym or reason.

3. You just call the cake hotline.

I posted answers below. Hope that helps!:goodvibes

My questions are:

You can get them at CRT or the GF restaurants by ordering in advance through the cake hotline.
I believe the GF version is always white chocolate and CRT usually serves dark chocolate (but sometimes it's white). My understanding from when we ordered one last year is that you can't pick - you get what you get;).

You can call the regular dining reservation line and have it noted on your reservation -- they'll be able to tell you if it's available at the restaurant you're dining at.

Thanks everyone!

Exactly. Sounds like you're gonna need a fancy cake.

You're right! Lots of good-looking fancy cakes made by the Yacht & Beach Club bakery have been posted in the three incarnations of this thread. :thumbsup2

Thank you! Since you seem to be the expert here (I've seen your posts everywhere haha), I would like to ask you a question, if you wouldn't mind. I saw a picture of an edible image princess cake that a lady said she ordered from the Epcot cake hotline to be delivered at a restaurant there. Can this be done for any restaurant in Epcot? I'm thinking of just going with a Toy Story edible image cake with blue and green icing accents. Would something like this be possible to be delivered to, say, Le Cellier?

This cake is gorgeous! Happy belated 40th!
I'm thinking of the same cake in light blue, white and yellow with pink roses for my DD's and her BFF's 21st birthday in June.
Can you tell me how many this feed?
Thanks!

Thanks DeeCee - there were only four of us and we barely made a dent in the cake. I'm guessing 10-12 people with no problem. Although it may depend on how big the slices are and how much you like cake.;)

I want to order a cake for our trip. I plan to call Monday...it's for May 21st, is that too early?

Also and heres hte real question...how do I get a custom cake? Last year I called to have a cake brought to chef mickeys, we were told they don;t do custom cakes other then writing on it. So I ordered it and was left dissappointed.
This year we are having our childs birthday dinner at 1900 Park Fare and I KNOW they do custom cakes. but, of course I'm scared they'll just blow me off.
The first time I called the cake hotline....is there a better place to call?

My questions are:

Thanks everyone!

From what I was told last year, white chocolate ons are almost always going to GF restuarnatns and dark chocolate ones to CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter