Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen them make a Mickey head-shaped cake that's covered in fondant. Usually it's chocolate ganache. Perhaps she means the Mickey's Delight decor style like they do for weddings? You can see what that looks like in@Trimothy's post, above (but yours would be sans white chocolate Mickey unless you paid to add him).

So the lady from POR sent me an image of the "Mickey head shaped cake." Here it is:

CIMG8081_zpsz9iiks6f.jpg

She did not give me the cost for this. However for an 8" fondant covered mickey themed cake with vanilla cake and strawberry moose we were quoted $80. The cost for a 10" cake would be $96. We thought these prices were reasonable so I will be placing the order tomorrow. We don't travel till the end of August so we wont know how it comes out for a while :). The process felt fairly simple as long as you know what you want.

Yeah, that's covered in chocolate ganache, not fondant. But I can see how she might've thought it was fondant cuz it's so smooth.

How long does it usually take for the cake line to return a call? I called yesterday and left a message and have not heard back yet ... Not trying to be obnoxious, as I know they probably have a lot of people ordering, just wondering how long to give it before I call again. :)

It depends on the location you're calling. It can be several days. I usually call back if it's been a week and then just keep calling til I get someone.

I left a msg with Pat on Monday at the GF and she returned my call today. I am having a mini cake delivered to our studio at the Polynesian as a welcome cake. I am having chocolate cake with chocolate moose filling (No luck on getting the peanut butter cup filling I wanted) we are doing yellow buttercream frosting on the top and red butter cream on the bottom with two white buttons and Mickey ears on top. I was quoted and charged $45. I wished I would have priced a 8in or 10in cake when I had pat on the phone because I think it might have been the same price. I will post a picture after my trip. Anybody had the chocolate moose filling instead of chocolate buttercream filling? I am hoping the mini cake will be enough for 2 adults and one 4 yr old.

OK I think I'm dense - you can customize the mickey heads with a mousse or fruit filling? I didn't know that!

When I first placed the call and mentioned that I wanted a "Mickey Themed" cake I was told that they also had the mickey head cake. I didn't get to the point where I would have been able to customize it so maybe its possible. But from the sounds of it they might have these ready to serve. This would mean that you wouldn't be able to customize it.

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I also called Pat at GF on Monday and received a return call today. I ordered a 6 inch chocolate cake with strawberry filling with Mickey and Minnie Mouse figures on top for a surprise anniversary cake for my daughter and her husband for dinner at Nacoossee's and an 8 inch chocolate cake with with a white chocolate mousse filling with the TinkerBell figure on top to be delivered to the Poly for my granddaughter's birthday. Our trip is in two weeks so I will post pictures then.

How long does it usually take for the cake line to return a call? I called yesterday and left a message and have not heard back yet ... Not trying to be obnoxious, as I know they probably have a lot of people ordering, just wondering how long to give it before I call again. :)
I left 2 messages at CR before I just stated calling pretty much hourly, and just kept hanging up if I didn't get a person!

I meant to post this a while ago, its been several years since I had a cake done, but this one was done by the Grand Floridian Bakery and it was delivered to the Grand Floridian Cafe. Pat was a great help with this. It was HUGE! I think we gave half of it to the kitchen staff because we just couldnt take it all. They all came out to the table to thank us. It was very nice. We even got to meet Pat, she came down when we were having dinner to see how the cake turned out.

pumpkin small.jpg

@ValerieK That is an awesome cake! Do you remember what size you ordered and how much you paid? Any other details you can give us would be super-helpful too, like the flavors!

Last year for DH's birthday, I got him a cake at Yachtsman. 6 inch Indiana Jones theme, chocolate cake, peanut butter filling, chocolate ganache.

This year, we will be at Yachtsman again, only we will be leaving the next day, so leftovers seem silly (especially after 9 nights of eating at Disney!). Kids will probably want Mickey puzzle dessert.
Anyhow, I don't mind if the design is plain (like just some Mickey ears), but is it possible to get that flavor combination in a mini cake? I know you can get the chocolate, but the peanut butter filling? And can you get ganache on a mini cake?

When we stayed at Boardwalk I got two mini cakes with non-standard flavors, one was red velvet and buttercream and the other was almond with amaretto mousse. Wasn't a problem at all and they were very accommodating.

@ValerieK That is an awesome cake! Do you remember what size you ordered and how much you paid? Any other details you can give us would be super-helpful too, like the flavors!

I couldnt find the emails I exchanged with Pat, I probably deleted them in a purge when my emails got to crazy. I want to say it cost about $160, but I think I might have blocked out the cost!

It was a yellow cake and buttercream icing. It was delicious.

This trip I think I will go with something a little smaller and not as fancy.

We are back from our 10 day trip - and like the crazy person I am - have already started the planning for next year lol! Here are the 2 cakes we had for DD's 6th birthday.

The first was for our Dinner at 1900 Park Fare on her actual birthday. I think it was 6" - but maybe it was an 8"??!! The ears and bow were chocolate. The cake was just vanilla with vanilla buttercream. I wanted a classic Minnie Mouse cake, but I did not want it flat so I asked for dimensional - but they could do however they liked. I said balloons or something...so my only complaint (which is really more of a nitpick than actual complaint) are the balloons...lol Clearly they were not needed. My DD was super excited! We had 6 adults and 1 child and had about 1/4 of the cake for leftovers. Quoted price was $135.cake 1.jpg

The 2nd cake was ordered from It's Tasty Too. It was delivered to our resort and we had around 30 people - mix of children and adults. We had minimal leftovers here as well. One layer was funfetti cake with cookies and cream frosting, the other layer was funfetti with strawberries and vanilla buttercream, DELISH!!! Cost including delivery was $120!cake 2.jpg

And of course now I want cake for breakfast! :-)

Patricia Anderson made my daughter a beautiful custom cake for her birthday dinner at the Grand Floridian's 1900 Park Fare in April 2016. Whipped topping, strawberry mousse filing, chocolate and sugar decorations. Beautiful cake and super yummy, as well.

I believe this was a 6" and the total was $53.

IMG_9479.JPG IMG_9487.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter