Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered this mini cake through the EPCOT Food and Beverage Department for lunch at Coral Reef. They offered a couple different choices for design but I stopped them at Minnie Mouse, because I wanted a Minnie Mini Cake :) but sounds like they have a few set designs that they are offering. This cake was absolutely perfect!

Price $35 - I think but we were dining with the candlelight processional package which included desert, but we ordered an extra appetizer for 2 instead and they adjusted the price on the cake to $25 to accommodate us. I didn't realize it was set courses with the candlelight processional, but all worked out fine. (also we got a table by the tank, ordering a cake might of helped us get that :goodvibes)

It was chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream on the inside and just plain buttercream on the outside. It fed three people perfectly - although we had a big meal with a shared appetizer, soup and entrée, so we were busting at the seams as it was.

These guys kept eyeing my cake...

I am planning a trip over the next week with my group of 12 family/friends and was considering ordering mini cakes for the various couples as they go to their 'personal' meals... It would be at Coral Reef, Kona, and Narcoosee's (different days for different people)

My crew is getting ready to move overseas and I thought it would be nice to do something to commemorate the birthdays/anniversaries/holidays we will miss. Is it worth trying now that we're so close to the time (the first cake would be on the 23rd)? I would try to do something when we dine as a whole group, but that would be Christmas Dinner at Raglan Rd and I'm not sure if it's doable.

TIA!

I am planning a trip over the next week with my group of 12 family/friends and was considering ordering mini cakes for the various couples as they go to their 'personal' meals... It would be at Coral Reef, Kona, and Narcoosee's (different days for different people)

My crew is getting ready to move overseas and I thought it would be nice to do something to commemorate the birthdays/anniversaries/holidays we will miss. Is it worth trying now that we're so close to the time (the first cake would be on the 23rd)? I would try to do something when we dine as a whole group, but that would be Christmas Dinner at Raglan Rd and I'm not sure if it's doable.

TIA!
Such a sweet idea!!!!
I believe they say they only need 3 days notice for a cake - however most people give more time for more complicated orders and to hash out details and price - so I think it's doable, especially if you stick to something simple (that way you can ensure you get exactly what you want).
I would call today, Coral Reef would be Epcot's Food and Beverage and for the above post (Minnie mini cake) they seem to be doing set designs for mini cakes.
Narcoossee & Kona are both served by the Grand Floridian bakery, so contact Pat there. She's a little tricky to get ahold of so keep that in mind! Also, if you go ahead with these plans, stress that you want to pay for these in advance/don't just want them added to the restaurant bill (in assuming YOURE wanting to pay for them as they are a surprise for others). Many times, even when asked, Disney adds them to the general tab so keep that in mind (I still can't figure out a way around this)!
Let us know if/when you get photos!

I placed our order for a Christmas themed cake for Next week. We got a 6" vanilla with peanut butter cup filling and a 2d Santa Mickey. The price quoted was $53.

Hi everyone! We went to Jiko at AKL to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday back in October, and here, finally, is her cake! Sorry I am so late posting this info- I really don't know what I am doing when it comes to taking and posting pictures, but I'll give it a shot!

Details: I worked with Amanda at AKL. I ordered a 6" cake, red velvet, white chocolate mousse filling with fresh raspberries, white buttercream, decorated with mickey heads on the sides and flowers on top. Price: $45 ($30 plus $15 for the flowers). They said it couldn't be done, no custom 6", etc., but I finally got them to do it. It was a LOT of cake for the 3 of us- but it was tasty and fresh. We had slices after dinner at Jiko and then enjoyed it in our room during the rest of the trip. Hopefully, the pictures will post!

URL=http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/leebick/media/0-1_zpsde347612.jpeg.html

URL=http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/leebick/media/0_zps86710648.jpeg.html

OK, so apparently I am doing something wrong, but if you click on the links, it'll go to the pictures in photobucket… or it should. I wish I could figure out how to post these so they are bigger; this was a generous cake and more than we could eat (even after taking it back to the room!).

It depends on where you're dining and how fancy a cake you want. Having it delivered to your table is cheaper because there are none of Private Dining's delivery and service fees. But then you have to schelp it around. Also, certain resorts have more capability for fancy cakes. Animal Kingdom Lodge has been turning out good ones lately, but they can't do mini cakes, which a lot of people want. If you told me you wanted a fancy minicake, I'd say to order the cake for a meal at the Grand Floridian or the Contemporary.

Thanks so much for the advice! We are a party of 8, from what I've read the minicakes are pretty small so may not be suitable? Might book all our ADRs and then decide what seems most suitable and see what's best! Think eating somewhere like the GF or Contemporary might be nice for her birthday though!

Thank you to "ratlenhum" for postng the picture of the Splash Mountain cake!

This cake gave me inspiration for my husbands birthday celebration on 1/2. I originally ordered a Haunted Mansion cake from the Boardwalk but after seeing this Splash design I knew I need to change! I talked with Larry who asked to see the picture and he said they can take the idea and make it into a one tier cake for the same price as the Haunted Mansion one - $85. We are having it delivered to Trattoria Al Forno. I'll post pictures after we return on Jan 5. I am so grateful for the posting of this picture!!!!
Debbie

I would like a cake for my hubby for his badly. We will be eating at the new resturant at the boardwalk. Where would I need to order it from?

I ordered this mini cake through the EPCOT Food and Beverage Department for lunch at Coral Reef. They offered a couple different choices for design but I stopped them at Minnie Mouse, because I wanted a Minnie Mini Cake :) but sounds like they have a few set designs that they are offering. This cake was absolutely perfect!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

I placed our order for a Christmas themed cake for Next week. We got a 6" vanilla with peanut butter cup filling and a 2d Santa Mickey. The price quoted was $53.

Can't wait to see it! popcorn::

Hi everyone! We went to Jiko at AKL to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday back in October, and here, finally, is her cake! Sorry I am so late posting this info- I really don't know what I am doing when it comes to taking and posting pictures, but I'll give it a shot!

Thank you for sharing all this detailed information. To post a photo, simply copy the IMG code provided by Photobucket and paste it into your post. like this:

Thanks so much for the advice! We are a party of 8, from what I've read the minicakes are pretty small so may not be suitable?

Yeah, with 8 people they will suggest an 8-inch or 10-inch cake, though you could get away with a 6-inch if it's a fancy cake, not the ones they give you when you ask at the podium.

Is it normal that my quote didn't include the cost of the special filings? In my initial request i mentioned what I wanted and then when I confirmed the design I was told that special fillings would be 12$ on top of that price.... I feel like this just keeps going up & up ... Can anyone recommend ( from experience with Disney's cakes please) some flavor combinations in the buttercream or mouse fillings?

Hey guys. Looking to order a Western Theme cake (not toy story, maybe mickey or fab 5, chip & dale...) for my son's 1st birthday party at Whispering Canyon. Looking for inspiration. I'm only to page 35 on this thread, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has pics of a similar cake. Definitely planning to go fondant, etc & the cake would be for 12-18 people so pretty big. Maybe I'll do a separate small "smash cake" for him.

Thanks!

Has anyone gotten a Baymax/Big Hero 6 cake?

We just revealed our trip to my son on Christmas day. We will be there for his birthday Feb. 1st and having his birthday dinner at Chef Mickey's. I thought we would just do a cupcake or regular dessert but he just said Mom I want a big Baymax cake for my birthday can you ask Mickey for it?

Help!

Has anyone gotten a Baymax/Big Hero 6 cake?

We just revealed our trip to my son on Christmas day. We will be there for his birthday Feb. 1st and having his birthday dinner at Chef Mickey's. I thought we would just do a cupcake or regular dessert but he just said Mom I want a big Baymax cake for my birthday can you ask Mickey for it?

Help!

We have a Chef Mickey's birthday celebration coming up in less than two weeks, and our birthday boy initially requested either 7D or Big Hero 6. Brian at the Contemporary looked into it for us, and they don't yet have permission to use those designs yet. So we went with a 6" fondant covered cake (vanilla with vanilla frosting) with Mickey head balloons around the sides and a hand-painted white chocolate Goofy on top. I was happy with the Goofy theme, as it's a nice fit at Chef Mickey's!

Is it possible to order a cake from the Boardwalk Bakery and pick it up during the day? I wanted to order a cake and pick it up after going to one of the parks for a little while, so late afternoon, early evening.
If it's possible, would they give me a specific time to pick it up, or would it be a little more relaxed and just be asked to pick it up before a certain time?
It's going to be one of the small mini cakes that most people get for two people......so I just wanted it to be a nice surprise while taking a break before looking around the resort.
Any info is appreciated!
Thanks.

We have a Chef Mickey's birthday celebration coming up in less than two weeks, and our birthday boy initially requested either 7D or Big Hero 6. Brian at the Contemporary looked into it for us, and they don't yet have permission to use those designs yet. So we went with a 6" fondant covered cake (vanilla with vanilla frosting) with Mickey head balloons around the sides and a hand-painted white chocolate Goofy on top. I was happy with the Goofy theme, as it's a nice fit at Chef Mickey's!

Hmmm. That's not good. Thanks for letting me know though!

Hmmm. That's not good. Thanks for letting me know though!

Sure! I received this response 12 days ago, and specifically, he said that it was not approved by their art department. So I'm not sure whether that's something that can change, or if it means it won't be available.

Other information that might be helpful from our correspondence:

I asked if they could provide a plastic or ceramic figure for the top of the cake instead of white chocolate, and they advised that it's either the white chocolate figure, hand-painted white chocolate figure, the 2D image or the screen print image on the cake.

I asked if they could make a fondant cake with a fondant goofy face, and they advised that they cannot sculpt characters from fondant "due to copyright restrictions on sculpting characters."

Hope that helps!

You can always supply your own cake toppers as well - either mail them to the resort ahead of time or bring them with you. I'm sure you could find some Big Hero 6 figurines before your trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter