OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

My wife and I are going to Disneyland for Christmas this year, December 12-17. We're staying at a Marriott property about twenty minutes north of Disneyland. It will be our first time at DL for Christmas and we're REALLY excited. I feel like I've got most everything planned out, but I have a couple questions. I know that Disney usually does the Hyperspace Mountain overlay during this time of year, but it's Space Mountain's 40th anniversary, any scuttlebutt on whether they are going to forgo that overlay this year and have classic Space Mountain after halloween is over? Also, anything Christmas related at the Hotels that I should definitely see? We're probably not booking any more special dinners or anything, but if there are some decorations that are can't miss type stuff, I'd love to know about it. Thanks!

I don't know about space mountain but as far as the disneyland hotels you should check out the christmas trees and Sanata at each hotel. Each is unique. Also the GCH will have carolers at certain points of the day (evening). Its always worth at least a walk through to check it out when you have time.

I don't know about space mountain but as far as the disneyland hotels you should check out the christmas trees and Sanata at each hotel. Each is unique. Also the GCH will have carolers at certain points of the day (evening). Its always worth at least a walk through to check it out when you have time.

Do you know if the carolers are like every hour? I really want to see them and the pianist but don’t want to spend an hour or 2 hanging around GCH a few times on the hope they may come out at some point. Thanks!

Neat! Thanks for the info, do you know if there is a time at night where they stop letting non-guests into the resort properties?

My wife and I are going to Disneyland for Christmas this year, December 12-17. We're staying at a Marriott property about twenty minutes north of Disneyland. It will be our first time at DL for Christmas and we're REALLY excited. I feel like I've got most everything planned out, but I have a couple questions. I know that Disney usually does the Hyperspace Mountain overlay during this time of year, but it's Space Mountain's 40th anniversary, any scuttlebutt on whether they are going to forgo that overlay this year and have classic Space Mountain after halloween is over? Also, anything Christmas related at the Hotels that I should definitely see? We're probably not booking any more special dinners or anything, but if there are some decorations that are can't miss type stuff, I'd love to know about it. Thanks!

There's usually a Halloween Space Mountain Overlay (Ghost Galaxy), but it's gone before the Christmas season starts. I don't believe there's a Christmas space mountain overlay. Not that I've seen anyway.

HyperSpace Mountain wasn't part of a Christmas celebration, it was part of the extended "Season of the Force" (aka: Star Wars takes over Tomorrowland). HyperSpace Mountain ended this summer when "Season of the Force" concluded. I don't expect to see it return after the Ghost Galaxy overlay is taken down.

Do you know if the carolers are like every hour? I really want to see them and the pianist but don’t want to spend an hour or 2 hanging around GCH a few times on the hope they may come out at some point. Thanks!

No idea at the moment. Sometimes closer to the day you can find out. You could probably ask at the hotel and they wuould be able to tell you on the day.

They are on a schedule for sure, you should just call the hotel the day you want to see them and they will tell you. It is so worth it! This will be our 5th Christmas trip staying at the GCH and the carolers are our favorite thing every year!!!!

No idea at the moment. Sometimes closer to the day you can find out. You could probably ask at the hotel and they wuould be able to tell you on the day.

Thanks, good idea. I didn't even think of calling them and I do get free calls in the US with my monthly cell phone UK package here.

They are on a schedule for sure, you should just call the hotel the day you want to see them and they will tell you. It is so worth it! This will be our 5th Christmas trip staying at the GCH and the carolers are our favorite thing every year!!!!

Will definitely make sure to fit them in then! :)

All the good reviews have me thinking of switching my WOC dining package to the dessert party. A couple of questions - we have 5 kids going with us, ages 10,7,5,3,1. Do they have a high chair for the baby? Do I need to worry about the 3 year old and 5 year old falling out of the chairs? Is a high table better than a low table? What time would we expect to line up to get a good table? Normally we stake out a seat at the very front railing for WOC. Will we be disappointed in the view from the tables?
PS I’m excited to see season of light since many of you said it was good.

Last edited:
We are hoping to squeeze in one last Disney trip in December before our APs expire (we won’t be renewing next year, since we live out of state and are planning on visiting WDW next year). We visited last year at Christmastime, and promptly decided Christmas is our favorite time to visit the parks.

Other than the Parks Blog post that was posted on the first page of this thread, have there been any other announcements or blog posts about Christmastime this year? I’m so excited they will be doing Festival Foods Marketplace again. Fingers crossed we will be able to make a December trip work!

Last edited:
We are hoping to squeeze in one last Disney trip in December before our APs expire (we won’t be renewing next year, since we live out of state and are planing on visiting WDW next year). We visited last year at Christmastime, and promptly decided Christmas is our favorite time to visit the parks.

Other than the Parks Blog post that was posted on the first page of this thread, have there been any other announcements or blog posts about Christmastime this year? I’m so excited they will be doing Festival Foods Marketplace again. Fingers crossed we will be able to make a December trip work!

When are you going? We are doing Christmas time for the first time this year and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t slightly worried about crowds. We’re going Dec 16 thru the 19th. It’s not yet Christmas break for our kids but all APs except Sig and Sig + are blocked so I’m hoping it’s not too bad. I’m happy to hear you loved it last year!

We are hoping to squeeze in one last Disney trip in December before our APs expire (we won’t be renewing next year, since we live out of state and are planing on visiting WDW next year). We visited last year at Christmastime, and promptly decided Christmas is our favorite time to visit the parks.

I haven't found any new info and I will add anything that is posted in the thread to the first page. It makes it easier than reading the whole thread lol

When are you going? We are doing Christmas time for the first time this year and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t slightly worried about crowds. We’re going Dec 16 thru the 19th. It’s not yet Christmas break for our kids but all APs except Sig and Sig + are blocked so I’m hoping it’s not too bad. I’m happy to hear you loved it last year!
Last year, we visited the first week of December, and the crowds were actually fairly light. I know that as the month progresses, the crowds do increase a lot, but it’s 100% worth it to see Disneyland at Christmastime. I don’t normally cry during Disney entertainment, but I totally teared up during the fireworks AND WoC last year. They are just so lovely.

Last year, we visited the first week of December, and the crowds were actually fairly light. I know that as the month progresses, the crowds do increase a lot, but it’s 100% worth it to see Disneyland at Christmastime. I don’t normally cry during Disney entertainment, but I totally teared up during the fireworks AND WoC last year. They are just so lovely.

I should clarify that I did go with my dad last year without my kids but it was at the very beginning of the holiday season. Do I did get to enjoy the shows. They were amazing, but it wasn’t full blown Christmas time yet, and I didn’t have my whole family. So I’m tweaking my expectations a bit. We are doing a tour on Saturday, which I hope will help ease the feeling of heavy crowds. Either way, I’m sure it’ll be awesome. I’m dying to have my kids see Disneyland in all it’s Christmas glory!!

All the good reviews have me thinking of switching my WOC dining package to the dessert party. A couple of questions - we have 5 kids going with us, ages 10,7,5,3,1. Do they have a high chair for the baby? Do I need to worry about the 3 year old and 5 year old falling out of the chairs? Is a high table better than a low table? What time would we expect to line up to get a good table? Normally we stake out a seat at the very front railing for WOC. Will we be disappointed in the view from the tables?
PS I’m excited to see season of light since many of you said it was good.

I'll try to answer what I can. I have never seen a highchair for a baby there, I think for the youngest kids there they were sitting in their parents lap during the show. You may want to call Disneyland Dining and see what they say. I think having a high table would make it a bit easier for the kids to see the show a bit better, but like you mentioned there is the worry of having the little ones fall off the tall chair (My 28 year old brother in law was trying to move his chair a bit and started to fall but caught himself on the table, shaking all of our drinks and desserts... He was fine, but a little embarrassed. Ha ha) Since you have a larger group going if you have everyone sit so the 5 year old's chair is between the 10 and 7, and the 3 year old's is next to an adult... or something like that they should be fine, you many just have to remind them not to try and climb down.

I think they tell you to be there an hour before show time, but if you arrive then you will be near the end of the line and getting one of the last tables. Having someone show up at least 30 minutes before is a good idea, and being in the area maybe an hour before that just to see if any line is starting to form... Because once one person gets in everyone else starts to follow.

And sitting in the chairs a little further back is different then being on the very front row seeing the fountains way up close, but at the same time I think it gives you a better view of the show as a whole. Plus you won't get wet, and get to eat great desserts and have some hot chocolate as you enjoy the show!

Hello, there! :wave2: I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but DH and I will be at the HoJo, December 19-23. This will be our fifth holiday Disney trip, but the first at DLR in several years. I can't wait to see what's new and to enjoy the classic holiday touches.:santa:

I'll try to answer what I can. I have never seen a highchair for a baby there, I think for the youngest kids there they were sitting in their parents lap during the show. You may want to call Disneyland Dining and see what they say. I think having a high table would make it a bit easier for the kids to see the show a bit better, but like you mentioned there is the worry of having the little ones fall off the tall chair (My 28 year old brother in law was trying to move his chair a bit and started to fall but caught himself on the table, shaking all of our drinks and desserts... He was fine, but a little embarrassed. Ha ha) Since you have a larger group going if you have everyone sit so the 5 year old's chair is between the 10 and 7, and the 3 year old's is next to an adult... or something like that they should be fine, you many just have to remind them not to try and climb down.

I think they tell you to be there an hour before show time, but if you arrive then you will be near the end of the line and getting one of the last tables. Having someone show up at least 30 minutes before is a good idea, and being in the area maybe an hour before that just to see if any line is starting to form... Because once one person gets in everyone else starts to follow.

And sitting in the chairs a little further back is different then being on the very front row seeing the fountains way up close, but at the same time I think it gives you a better view of the show as a whole. Plus you won't get wet, and get to eat great desserts and have some hot chocolate as you enjoy the show!
Thanks so much for the reply.

I've been trying to find find the answer to this question but haven't been able to. I am about to make my F! BB dining reservation and want to base it on the Fantasmic show time. We will be going on December 8 so I know that is considered the off season and F! will probably only show once a night. Does anyone have an estimate on when the show will start?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter