Official Breast Feeding Support Thread for WDW Parks

I have a DD who will be 15 months old when we go on our trip and still HEAVILY nurses. I went to DW when my son was three months old and nursed him everywhere and didn't get any stares. My daughter is a bit more distracted, but I'm hoping to find a couple quiet places to nurse. By the way, we are going in May too, the 20th-24th.

I have a DD who will be 15 months old when we go on our trip and still HEAVILY nurses. I went to DW when my son was three months old and nursed him everywhere and didn't get any stares. My daughter is a bit more distracted, but I'm hoping to find a couple quiet places to nurse. By the way, we are going in May too, the 20th-24th.

Another May DIS'er! 39 more days until we leave!! :woohoo: :banana:

Haha I'll also be there in May. My DS is 20 months and nurses 3x/day but I doubt we will be nursing I'm the parks since we are only doing half days.

I'm happy to find this thread! We'll be there in May too and ds will be 7 months and it still feels like he feeds all day and all night long!! Dd is almost six years old though so hopefully she'll be patient with him (not to mention the lines!!)

Hi moms! I see this thread hasn't had any life in it for a while! How were all of the May trips? Now that we have come back from ours, I've got new issues to figure out. We only wound up spending one day in the park for Star Wars weekends. Dd had a great time almost all day, laughing, playing with darth vader, and other guests in line. However, she was nursing somewhat irregularly. She would start and not finish, and sometimes she would "ask" to nurse and then refuse to. I believe she was just very distracted and overwhelmed with too much fun. By about 4:30 or 5, she was crying and I tried nursing her in the bcc, but she couldn't be consoled. Then we left, and she couldn't fall asleep back at the hotel. Lesson I learned is my child is no longer able to nurse and relax in noisy or high activity settings like she used to....we took quiet time breaks to rest and only did a couple rides, but I guess it was still too much. We're going back with my family the first week of August, and I know there is a world of difference between a 5 month old and and 7.5 month old, but I want to avoid this problem. Any of you ever have this happen? Suggestions?

ryansstitch said:
Hi moms! I see this thread hasn't had any life in it for a while! How were all of the May trips? Now that we have come back from ours, I've got new issues to figure out. We only wound up spending one day in the park for Star Wars weekends. Dd had a great time almost all day, laughing, playing with darth vader, and other guests in line. However, she was nursing somewhat irregularly. She would start and not finish, and sometimes she would "ask" to nurse and then refuse to. I believe she was just very distracted and overwhelmed with too much fun. By about 4:30 or 5, she was crying and I tried nursing her in the bcc, but she couldn't be consoled. Then we left, and she couldn't fall asleep back at the hotel. Lesson I learned is my child is no longer able to nurse and relax in noisy or high activity settings like she used to....we took quiet time breaks to rest and only did a couple rides, but I guess it was still too much. We're going back with my family the first week of August, and I know there is a world of difference between a 5 month old and and 7.5 month old, but I want to avoid this problem. Any of you ever have this happen? Suggestions?

What about a nursing cover?

You could also build in times to go to the baby care centers. I believe they all have private nursing rooms. More time to do that, obviously, but it removes the distraction aspect

What about a nursing cover? You could also build in times to go to the baby care centers. I believe they all have private nursing rooms. More time to do that, obviously, but it removes the distraction aspect

Thanks! I'll try getting to the bcc at regular intervals maybe if I get her there before she gets close to distressed, I can bypass the meltdown. That's a great suggestion! My little girl doesn't do covers, but sometimes she will let me use the tail of my ring sling to cover. I just wear drapey (not a real word?) shirts to cover up a bit. She throws covers off and it makes nursing way more stressful when I tried an actual cover.

The only other thing I can think of is would she take a bottle? Could you pump if she decides not to nurse and then give her the bottle? You could still make time for the bccs, but it could help you cut down on the number of times you go there.

Dd never latched,.so I EP'd for her. Pumping at Disney was actually not as difficult as I thought it would be.

The only other thing I can think of is would she take a bottle? Could you pump if she decides not to nurse and then give her the bottle? You could still make time for the bccs, but it could help you cut down on the number of times you go there. Dd never latched,.so I EP'd for her. Pumping at Disney was actually not as difficult as I thought it would be.

She will take a bottle from dh when I'm not present, but she won't drink much. She's a good nurser usually, she's really big for 6 months of ebf! As she's getting to be more social, I think she's just so interested in everything and everyone that she can't filter all that stimuli. I think/hope it improves as her ability to focus improves, even by baby standards.
I certainly don't want to be nosy or inappropriate, but I'm always interested when I learn of a baby that had trouble nursing. Did you ever find out what kept your little girl from latching?

ryansstitch said:
She will take a bottle from dh when I'm not present, but she won't drink much. She's a good nurser usually, she's really big for 6 months of ebf! As she's getting to be more social, I think she's just so interested in everything and everyone that she can't filter all that stimuli. I think/hope it improves as her ability to focus improves, even by baby standards.
I certainly don't want to be nosy or inappropriate, but I'm always interested when I learn of a baby that had trouble nursing. Did you ever find out what kept your little girl from latching?

She did not have a suck reflex at all when she was born. We had to syringe feed her my colostrum and formula while we taught her how to suck. I worked with an IBCLC for almost 4 months trying to transition her to the breast, taking DD in for weight checks frequently, doing nursing vacation weekends...she would latch, but her suck was always poor and she couldn't get milk from me. In 20-30 mins she would maybe get an ounce. Since she wasn't getting anything, I was full time pumping on top of trying to get her to nurse, and by month 4 I just couldn't do both any more. I switched to exclusively pumping and did that til she was about 13 months - we were both much happier, and she finally gained enough weight we didn't have to go in for weight.checks. she was never FTT, but it was a tough road for a long time.

She did not have a suck reflex at all when she was born. We had to syringe feed her my colostrum and formula while we taught her how to suck. I worked with an IBCLC for almost 4 months trying to transition her to the breast, taking DD in for weight checks frequently, doing nursing vacation weekends...she would latch, but her suck was always poor and she couldn't get milk from me. In 20-30 mins she would maybe get an ounce. Since she wasn't getting anything, I was full time pumping on top of trying to get her to nurse, and by month 4 I just couldn't do both any more. I switched to exclusively pumping and did that til she was about 13 months - we were both much happier, and she finally gained enough weight we didn't have to go in for weight.checks. she was never FTT, but it was a tough road for a long time.

Wow, I hadn't known anyone with that kind of challenge. You certainly worked hard at that! She's blessed to have such a determined mom!

I started this thread so many years ago while my youngest was still nursing. I am happy to see that it is still here and source of support!

Well, I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate, but there is no way I'm going to read 86 pages worth of posts about it. :) So here's my two cents, without having read many of the other comments.

We were at Disney World this past February, and my daughter was almost three at the time. Being off of our normal routine made nursing a little harder, as she mostly nurses at night and in the mornings. At night she'd be too tired to have a proper nursing session, falling asleep just seconds after latching on, if at all.

Then she would make up for it during the day when she was feeling sleepy or out of sorts. I nursed her in my kinderpack, as well as on various benches, in line for rides, etc. But my absolute favorite (and WHY OH WHY did I not have my husband take a picture???) was when we were waiting to be seated at Cinderella's Royal Table. We were in the downstairs part after getting her picture taken with Cinderella, and it was very late. She cozied right up in a little alcove and nursed until our name was called. Best. Nursing place. Ever.

As for advice? Just nurse! Don't worry about what other people think. Most likely no one will say anything, but if they do, don't take it to heart. You're doing the best possible thing for your baby/toddler/child, and there's no shame in that.

I love that article and it's so true!

DD is 13.5 months and we're still nursing. I had intended to wean when she turned a year, but she still very much needs it and is doing well, so why stop? We will continue in the parks if needed (she mainly nurses before nap time, bed time and sometimes in the morning).

Keep up the good work ladies! It's all worth it in the end! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter