*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

I am feeling much better about the heat now. I was getting really concerned about it. But, now I have my frogg toggs, my misting fans, some Hanes breathable mesh underwear and some moisture wicking bras.....now i just need some kind of shorts and some hats. ANyone recommendations??
I like the running shorts from Old Navy. They go on sale often enough to be cheap and breathe well

I like the running shorts from Old Navy. They go on sale often enough to be cheap and breathe well

i just noticed your siggie.....i am also doing a mother/daughter only trip for dd's 10th birthday. I know not to expect anything, but Im hoping some of the CMs will make a big deal out of it for DD, she would absolutely love that. we've never been before near the kids birthdays so this will be new for her. she's had a tough year with her father and I separating/divorcing, so i want it to be extra special for her

i just noticed your siggie.....i am also doing a mother/daughter only trip for dd's 10th birthday. I know not to expect anything, but Im hoping some of the CMs will make a big deal out of it for DD, she would absolutely love that. we've never been before near the kids birthdays so this will be new for her. she's had a tough year with her father and I separating/divorcing, so i want it to be extra special for her
There is a cake thread where we talk about ordering a special cakes at WDW. Some at reasonable price and can get it made for two. You can have it delivered to your resort (if your staying on site) or at most restaurants.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-v.3558085/page-34#post-57829376

There is a cake thread where we talk about ordering a special cakes at WDW. Some at reasonable price and can get it made for two. You can have it delivered to your resort (if your staying on site) or at most restaurants.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-v.3558085/page-34#post-57829376

i thought about that....but then I booked the fireworks dessert party to do on her actual bday....so probably don't need a separate cake as we will have our fill of desserts, lol. We have CRT for our lunch ressie, I may ask if they'll stick a candle in whatever dessert she gets for lunch.

All 3 of our trips have been birthday trips for DS. He always wears his birthday button and has a tee shirt that has Mickey ears and says "I'm the birthday boy" that he wears one day. He's gotten varying levels of attention. Our first trip he got a lot more attention than our 2nd and I chalk that up to us having TS meals on that one, where as we only did QS on our 2nd trip. He ended up with birthday cards and an extra dessert at nearly every ts adr. Snow White even sang Happy Birthday to him at our Akershus dinner. Last year was much more low key, lots of birthday wishes, Photopass photographers taking a little extra time with him including 1 doing a little mini session inside a gift shop when she saw his button, he was given a free mickey straw with his drink at one point and a free dessert. Do you have it noted in your reservation that you are celebrating a birthday? If not, you should call and add that note or stop by the frint desk and have it noted. You will get a phone call/voicemail on your room phone from Mickey wishing a happy birthday. I think one of Ethan's favorite things has been receiving a phone call from Goofy. This happened once on each trip while we were at a gift shop. The phone rang while he was paying for his purchase and the CM answered and gave him the phone saying it was him. It was Goofy wishing him a happy birthday. His eyes lit up and sparkled. It was really special to watch. Oh and when y'all meet Tinkerbell she might talk about it being your DD's "arrival day". That's what fairies call birthdays :)

All 3 of our trips have been birthday trips for DS. He always wears his birthday button and has a tee shirt that has Mickey ears and says "I'm the birthday boy" that he wears one day. He's gotten varying levels of attention. Our first trip he got a lot more attention than our 2nd and I chalk that up to us having TS meals on that one, where as we only did QS on our 2nd trip. He ended up with birthday cards and an extra dessert at nearly every ts adr. Snow White even sang Happy Birthday to him at our Akershus dinner. Last year was much more low key, lots of birthday wishes, Photopass photographers taking a little extra time with him including 1 doing a little mini session inside a gift shop when she saw his button, he was given a free mickey straw with his drink at one point and a free dessert. Do you have it noted in your reservation that you are celebrating a birthday? If not, you should call and add that note or stop by the frint desk and have it noted. You will get a phone call/voicemail on your room phone from Mickey wishing a happy birthday. I think one of Ethan's favorite things has been receiving a phone call from Goofy. This happened once on each trip while we were at a gift shop. The phone rang while he was paying for his purchase and the CM answered and gave him the phone saying it was him. It was Goofy wishing him a happy birthday. His eyes lit up and sparkled. It was really special to watch. Oh and when y'all meet Tinkerbell she might talk about it being your DD's "arrival day". That's what fairies call birthdays :)

I'm so excited about it, probably more than she is, lol. I did note it on all reservations, I'm going to call and double check though. She has an outfit that says "Birthday Princess" for her actual bday and will be going to BBB that day as well. THen we have lunch at CRT. Then that evening the Fireworks Dessert party. Im sure between those 3, she will get some extra attention at some point.
We do have a TS meal every day, and she will probably wear her birthday button all week, but I'm hoping for extra pixie dust ON her actual bday.

I cannot wait!! 5 weeks from tomorrow!! :yay:

Great Movie Ride closing 8/13!!! jeez, my HS day got even shorter....now I might as well just show up at 5:00 pm, eat at H&V, ride Toy Story, and hit Fantasmic.

Great Movie Ride closing 8/13!!! jeez, my HS day got even shorter....now I might as well just show up at 5:00 pm, eat at H&V, ride Toy Story, and hit Fantasmic.

What?! I've seen GMR for the last time?! Ugh. Was so hoping to see it one more time - guess we're about a week too late.

What?! I've seen GMR for the last time?! Ugh. Was so hoping to see it one more time - guess we're about a week too late.

I'm in the same boat! I'd heard rumors about it being replaced, but I figured I'd get one more ride in this summer. Lousy. I'm not against a new Mickey ride or anything (though I'm surprised they're going with the new animation style rather than "classic" Mickey...) but I will really miss GMR without the closure of saying goodbye. :(

Also adding on to this ^ I'm sure I'm the only one, but I'm disappointed that Universe of Energy is also closing Aug. 13!! (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ing-to-epcot/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4D23DPBSupport8B) I had never forced the fiance to sit through it and was looking forward to making him do so on this trip, as well as the 40-minute respite from the afternoon heat... :( :( But I'm sure the new rides will be cool when they're done.

Phew! Checking in on Aug. 11th and heading to Epcot. We'll do Ellen and then our next day is HS. We'll do the GMR one last time. :)

Just read about GMR closing on August 13. First Mission Space and now Great Movie Ride. I spent this morning changing around our Epcot day to adjust times, and now I guess I will spend some time tonight adjusting our HS plan. We are arriving a week too late to get in our last rides on these two. At least we will be there before Splash closes for it's refurbishment. 35 more days, woohoo!

We arrive 8/24, so we will miss TGMR. My kids are so disappointed. They love that ride. Mission space closed too. Hall of presidents also closed. That is one attraction we have never seen. I was actually hoping to take a break in the afternoon heat and actually see the Hall of presidents. However, I am so glad splash mountain will be open. That is my favorite ride of all

In exactly two weeks, we will be leaving for our drive to Florida. Bought some things we needed today. I had to get some new toiletries and bought the kids so,e things for our car ride to keep them entertained.

Really glad we will not miss riding GMR for the last time, but excited for the changes. My son is super excited for the Tron ride, but he's also glad they are keeping the speedway. I am just glad People Mover is not being touched. I was worried that might go.

I am SO glad we'll get to ride GMR again. I love it (although I liked it more before the TCM voice over) and my DS11 also loves it, strangely enough. I knew its end was coming but totally didn't expect it to be so soon :( We never use our tier 1 FP on it as we save that for TSMM and RnRC and I don't want to change them, but I'm guessing GMR will have much longer lines between now and 8/13................

Also adding on to this ^ I'm sure I'm the only one, but I'm disappointed that Universe of Energy is also closing Aug. 13!! (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ing-to-epcot/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4D23DPBSupport8B) I had never forced the fiance to sit through it and was looking forward to making him do so on this trip, as well as the 40-minute respite from the afternoon heat... :( :( But I'm sure the new rides will be cool when they're done.

No, you aren't the only one. I will miss Universe of Energy, or at least some of it. I'm not a big Ellen fan. Bill Nye I could do with or without. I will miss the concept of Energy being shown by Disney, the message of conservation, and using diverse sources for our energy, and I will hugely miss the dinosaur scene. I absolutely love that part of the ride.

Phew! Checking in on Aug. 11th and heading to Epcot. We'll do Ellen and then our next day is HS. We'll do the GMR one last time. :)

We also will be in Epcot on the 11th. It is our first park day as well. Universe of Energy is certainly going to be on our list that day, maybe more than once!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter