Official 2023 Halloween Horror Nights 32 (Orlando)

Might it be time for an actual age restriction on the event?

The recommendation is there, it’s just ignored by many

There are indeed enforced rules in place designed to protect property, employees and, yes, guests from themselves.

What really creeps me out are the multiple posts I’ve read this year, usually from the grandmas, complaining about “the rule” wherein you are forbidden from carrying a child through the houses

then, go on to detail that they can’t wait till their grand babies are old enough to walk thru the houses with them.

There are some people you just can’t reach:confused3

The recommendation is there, it’s just ignored by many

There are indeed enforced rules in place designed to protect property, employees and, yes, guests from themselves.

What really creeps me out are the multiple posts I’ve read this year, usually from the grandmas, complaining about “the rule” wherein you are forbidden from carrying a child through the houses

then, go on to detail that they can’t wait till their grand babies are old enough to walk thru the houses with them.

There are some people you just can’t reach:confused3
Yup - unfortunately people are inconsiderate for the most part.

Ill never forget waiting in line behind a couple with a baby that was screaming and crying - what kind of person brings a six month old to HHN?? My kid got scared on the Winnie the Pooh ride at six months old - and that was long before the Blood and Honey movie.

Total nightmare - at least that was back when wait times were much more reasonable - I cant imagine 300 minutes in line dealing with that - although there is nothing I would wait 300 minutes for in a theme park.

I know it may be a hot take (or maybe not?) but every year I see more and more posts on FB from parents who take their 7-8–9 year old children and rave about how everyone was so NICE and how the scareactors were so FRIENDLY and took pictures with their children, etc…

I find this really frustrating, but also, Universal is ALLOWING them to do this. Might it be time for an actual age restriction on the event?
Or conversely - and this makes me sad - maybe we all need to be realists. Perhaps UO is sending all of us a clear message: this event will continue to become more kid-friendly. Deal with it or don't go.

SAs aren't doing this on their own: they're getting specific direction from higher ups to break character, play nice with the littles, be friendlier, make them smile, make parents happy.

UO leadership continues to spend big $$$ on IP that attracts younger audiences.

And the event continues to draw more kids and teens every year - with zero interest on UO's part to even do the minimal - require a parent/guardian to accompany anyone under 18 (which would fix a LOT of problems with aggressive groups of teens on weekend nights.)

If anything, UO is playing down the "13 and over" recommendations they used to emphasize in years past.

That saying may apply here: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them."

And the event continues to draw more kids and teens every year - with zero interest on UO's part to even do the minimal - require a parent/guardian to accompany anyone under 18 (which would fix a LOT of problems with aggressive groups of teens on weekend nights.)
Not a lawyer, nor would I ever try to interpret the laws of Florida as to what is included under the term “public establishment”, specifically a theme park

However, there are rules in place for both state, county & Universal private property when it comes to unaccompanied minors.

Toss a dart:rolleyes1, would think there’s something in there wherein U could legally, if they chose.

Universal:

After trouble in citiwalk parking garage, U’s response was to enact a weekend curfew, of sorts. Whether they generally enforce it or it was designed as a deterrent, can’t say. In part it states:

Children on weekends, under 18, without a parent or guardian, must leave CityWalk at 9 p.m.

Other exceptions include:
  • If those under 18 are staying at a Universal hotel/resort
  • If those under 18 are planning to see a movie at Universal Cinemark

State of Florida:

general, minor curfew laws, including

: “ Minors ages 16 and 17 cannot stay out in a public place or establishment past the hours of 11 pm to 5 am on weekdays (Sunday thru Thursday). and 12:01 am to 6:00 am on weekends (Friday and Saturday).”

and “a 15-year-old can not be outside from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. on any day of the week without a parent or guardian.”

Local:

Orange Co, operates under enhanced protocols:

minors are prohibited in public places and establishments during certain hours. The curfew hours for minors state may not be out after 10:00 pm on weeknights. If a minor violates this curfew law will receive a written warning and a $50.00 fine thereafter.

Or conversely - and this makes me sad - maybe we all need to be realists. Perhaps UO is sending all of us a clear message: this event will continue to become more kid-friendly. Deal with it or don't go.

SAs aren't doing this on their own: they're getting specific direction from higher ups to break character, play nice with the littles, be friendlier, make them smile, make parents happy.

UO leadership continues to spend big $$$ on IP that attracts younger audiences.

If anything, UO is playing down the "13 and over" recommendations they used to emphasize in years past.

That saying may apply here: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them."
Agree 100%+ They have had huge attendance and I assume nice profits from HHN - so why would they change it - plus they get to sell all these kids ticket's at full price

That said they are probably making many folks angry with the overselling of ticket's and express passes - on top of that the large price increases in said tickets - and I am sure I am not the only person unhappy that I cant buy multi-night tickets for my upcoming trip - all that is a blip on the radar - but over time it does fester.

It does give Sea World the opportunity to do better - much like Universal did against Disney - it seems unlikely but before HP and Nintendo it seemed unlikely that Universal would ever challenge Disney

Just for Fun, What Changes Would You Make to HHN?

Might be be interesting to see other people’s thots on what needs addressed going forward into next year. I’ll go first.

1. crowds appear near/over capacity,

(EP appears to have been wildly oversold, as well as RIP tours. crowd control also needs work, both in scare zone lines & overall)

2. They really need another production show to spread out the crowd, perhaps in the BMG theater?

2. food is horrifying, not in a good way.
I agree!!

1-Over selling Express passes and RIP tours.
2-Crowd levels were higher than I have ever seen for Sept. We went Sept 13-19th. Sat the 16th was the most crowded, I have never seen HHN so packed. I was very claustrophobic and left, never had to do that before.
3-Food. Totally agree, the food was so awful this year. I appreciate the effort, but really awful.

3-Food. Totally agree, the food was so awful this year. I appreciate the effort, but really awful.
Also the drink's from what I hear - too much syrup and too many bitters - especially for a drink that comes out of a vat

Then there is the waiting for food - that seems to be totally out of hand as well - the line for the Chucky hot Chicken always looks ridiculous - far worse than anything I have ever seen at Epcot food and wine

3-Food. Totally agree, the food was so awful this year. I appreciate the effort, but really awful
Good to know. Haven't been yet but since nothing sounded particularly appealing we won't waste our time. Maybe we will give Minions Cafe a try since that may be our only opportunity this trip.
Wouldn't mind trying one of the specialty beers or cider but if the lines are too long will skip that too.

Does anyone have a list of the places I can get a blinky cup? I tried looking on the app but I must be totally overlooking it. Do they sell non-alcoholic drinks in blinky cups too? Thanks!

Good to know. Haven't been yet but since nothing sounded particularly appealing we won't waste our time. Maybe we will give Minions Cafe a try since that may be our only opportunity this trip.
Wouldn't mind trying one of the specialty beers or cider but if the lines are too long will skip that too.
There are a couple of things that are worth checking out - the Duck is meant to be very good - I am looking forward to trying that.
Also the Nashville hot chicken - but the line is ridiculous.

The Ravioli - just for the can - if you are a fan of Last of Us.

BTW - not sure if Minions will be open - but in general all the food is crazy busy

Does anyone have a list of the places I can get a blinky cup? I tried looking on the app but I must be totally overlooking it. Do they sell non-alcoholic drinks in blinky cups too? Thanks!
hmm - so its not clear - the souvenir cup with drink is 16.50 and the non alcoholic drink is listed as $8 - it could be that you can buy the non alcoholic version for 16.50 with cup.

The alcohol drinks are all over the place so you wont have an issue finding them - the non-alcohol drinks are at Stellar bar and Surfer Boy pizza. IF you google HHN 32 food there are links to all the menu and some with the actual poster boards

Sat the 16th was the most crowded, I have never seen HHN so packed. I was very claustrophobic and left, never had to do that before.
It was bad, although I think the prior Saturday was worse for us
Also the drink's from what I hear - too much syrup and too many bitters - especially for a drink that comes out of a vat
Won’t touch them lol. I figure this year they had the bright idea to go with extra bitters, attempting to tamp down the sickening sweet taste
the line for the Chucky hot Chicken always looks ridiculous
Yes, the vedra area rivaled it. Wondering if them running out of the “collectible” serving containers will reduce the demand

hmm - so its not clear - the souvenir cup with drink is 16.50 and the non alcoholic drink is listed as $8 - it could be that you can buy the non alcoholic version for 16.50 with cup.

The alcohol drinks are all over the place so you wont have an issue finding them - the non-alcohol drinks are at Stellar bar and Surfer Boy pizza. IF you google HHN 32 food there are links to all the menu and some with the actual poster boards
Thank you! I'm going with my step-daughter who is underage and I don't want more than one drink...but we both want a blinky cup to take home haha. The whole list of foods on the OI website was super helpful and much easier to look at than the app!

There are a couple of things that are worth checking out - the Duck is meant to be very good - I am looking forward to trying that.

BTW - not sure if Minions will be open - but in general all the food is crazy busy
Funny you mention the duck it's the only thing my husband seemed interested in.
I'll honestly get whatever doesn't have ridiculously long lines. We plan to eat a big late lunch to hold us for a while.
Will pass on the chicken -we get Nashville Hot when we visit my son in NC😋

FWIW I thought that the Surfer Boy Hawaiian pizza was really good, so much so that I went back for another piece later in the evening. It’s on French bread that was light and perfect. I also tried the Yuri’s favorite dessert and it was pretty good. It’s peanut butter mousse just like the inside of the pet rock from Minion Cafe minus the jelly. Instead the peanut butter mousse is paired with Reese’s pieces. The line moves quickly.

anyone like the walking taco? I keep reading good things on FB about that

anyone like the walking taco? I keep reading good things on FB about that
Good Q. People seemed to be enjoying it. I just laugh as accustomed to paying $4 for them locally

Didn’t realize the surfer boy pizza on French bread. The frozen version Walmart sold was basic frozen pizza

OT if anyone looking for another non U branded shirt, picked up a nice looking Hellfire shirt there for under $9 for one of my adult DSs

Thank you! I'm going with my step-daughter who is underage and I don't want more than one drink...but we both want a blinky cup to take home haha. The whole list of foods on the OI website was super helpful and much easier to look at than the app!
My understanding is that they absolutely will not sell non-alcoholic versions in the blinky cups. I also read on another page that you can get in trouble if someone who appears underage is seen drinking out of a blinky cup. Like don’t refill with soda and give it to your kid because blinky cup = alcohol at HHN and UO is actively on the lookout for underage drinking. I did not verify this with a TM when we were there, but to be on the safe side, my teen had to wait until we got home to commandeer the blinky cup for his non-alcoholic blended slushy drinks. Anyway, just be careful and check with a TM when you buy yours. They are really cool!

There are a couple of things that are worth checking out -

Is the Nashville hot chicken at the Chucky’s booth? The line was always really long, and I think it was often bloated by people who wanted to buy the Chucky popcorn buckets. The actual flavored popcorn there is fantastic, by the way. Once we were waiting for a refill, and a TM was telling people they were out of the Chucky buckets, and several people left the line.

The FEDRA cans are rumored to be finished for the season. People were posing on Facebook pictures of the new menu, with the ravioli now $1 less to compensate for not having the cans anymore. I don’t know if that’s a temporary change until they restock, but it would be crazy to underestimate demand so badly that they ran out before October.

Is the Nashville hot chicken at the Chucky’s booth? The line was always really long, and I think it was often bloated by people who wanted to buy the Chucky popcorn buckets. The actual flavored popcorn there is fantastic, by the way. Once we were waiting for a refill, and a TM was telling people they were out of the Chucky buckets, and several people left the line.

The FEDRA cans are rumored to be finished for the season. People were posing on Facebook pictures of the new menu, with the ravioli now $1 less to compensate for not having the cans anymore. I don’t know if that’s a temporary change until they restock, but it would be crazy to underestimate demand so badly that they ran out before October.
Well, I think they completely underestimated how insane this years event is.
I've been talking to several folks in guest services as I try to get a Frequent Fear Pass Pass and it sounds like they are pretty overwhelmed with this years event and it shows no sign of slowing down.

Personally I don't understand why it's so busy other than Universal itself has become so busy and its spilled over. The IPs are not all that exciting IMO but its been crazy busy since day 1 and it shows no signs of slowing down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter