• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Official 2023 Halloween Horror Nights 32 (Orlando)

Well, I think they completely underestimated how insane this years event is.
I don't buy it. Universal knows how many tickets are sold - how do you underestimate when you know exactly how many tickets you sold?
I realize that they don't know exactly how many people are going to show up each night with the multi-night tickets, but they have enough experience to make educated estimates. They know how many multi-night tickets were sold and they know how many days the average person with those ticket types visits.

I think they just didn't bother to properly accommodate the increased attendance, by adjusting the amount of food booths and/or staff at said food booths. No reason they can't double the cooking equipment & staff at the Chuckie booth. More sales, happier guests.

but it would be crazy to underestimate demand so badly that they ran out before October.
Insult to injury…

Has been widely pointed out that the vedra cans are the same ones (with a different sticker slapped on it) that they’ve used for other items in the past.

I’m with you, F&B dropped the ball

I don't buy it. Universal knows how many tickets are sold - how do you underestimate when you know exactly how many tickets you sold?
I realize that they don't know exactly how many people are going to show up each night with the multi-night tickets, but they have enough experience to make educated estimates. They know how many multi-night tickets were sold and they know how many days the average person with those ticket types visits.

I think they just didn't bother to properly accommodate the increased attendance, by adjusting the amount of food booths and/or staff at said food booths. No reason they can't double the cooking equipment & staff at the Chuckie booth. More sales, happier guests.
Right but then they need more equipment that they may not have and more people that they may not have - and that means more expenses - not sure they can even find the people to hire - they could offer overtime to folks Id assume.

There is probably some benefit to folks being tied up in those lines and not adding to the 300 minute wait for stranger things 4 though.

We will probably never know the real answer but I do agree that they really dropped the ball here - pretty much everyone is unhappy with so many things Regular line is too long. Express line is too long. Stay and scream lines are way too long. The line to get into Universal is too long. Food lines are too long - I don't think its just a chucky issue - that is just the worst example.

Then there are the costs - everything has gotten much more expensive - and then got more expensive as the season went on. Express is too expensive and you are not even sure you can do all 10 houses in one night after paying 350+ for express and a ticket.

And of course they have run out of things - I hope they have blinky cups left and a few t-shirts by the time I get there :(

In general this year is a totals mess - don't even get me started with all the issues with room refunds taking over 30 days and not even getting processed until I call in.

Insult to injury…

Has been widely pointed out that the vedra cans are the same ones (with a different sticker slapped on it) that they’ve used for other items in the past.
They look like the Whoo-Hash cans. How hard can they really be to source more and slap a label on? There are 5 weekends left - surely they can resupply at some point??

Right but then they need more equipment that they may not have and more people that they may not have - and that means more expenses - not sure they can even find the people to hire - they could offer overtime to folks Id assume.

There is probably some benefit to folks being tied up in those lines and not adding to the 300 minute wait for stranger things 4 though.

Then there are the costs - everything has gotten much more expensive - and then got more expensive as the season went on. Express is too expensive and you are not even sure you can do all 10 houses in one night after paying 350+ for express and a ticket.

And of course they have run out of things - I hope they have blinky cups left and a few t-shirts by the time I get there :(
I agree it’s hard to scale up for something so seasonal.

I know I said they need more people-eater things to keep people out of the house lines, but I guess long food lines will do in a pinch.

Are people really not able to get through the houses with express? When I was there the express lines were really cranking away, and many people have posted really low actual wait times going through with express. I know the opening weekend was disorganized with long express waits, but that seems to have been fixed. Are you hearing that it’s not?

Someone was complaining about not being able to find blinky cups, and saying they were sold out, but I haven’t been seeing this complaint lately, so I’m hoping it was just a temporary outage until they restocked.

We looked in every store for that white Last of Us shirt, and it was nowhere to be found, and disappeared from the website. Not saying sold out, just poofed like it never existed. My kid was bummed, but at least he has a FEDRA can.

The Minion Cafe also had the coldest water from the Freestyle machines and at the beginning of HHN, absolutely no line. I remember on one of the nights I went, around 10 pm the line for the Freestyle machines inside the cafe went out towards the entrance of Villain Con.

They look like the Whoo-Hash cans. How hard can they really be to source more and slap a label on? There are 5 weekends left - surely they can resupply at some point??

I agree it’s hard to scale up for something so seasonal.

I know I said they need more people-eater things to keep people out of the house lines, but I guess long food lines will do in a pinch.

Are people really not able to get through the houses with express? When I was there the express lines were really cranking away, and many people have posted really low actual wait times going through with express. I know the opening weekend was disorganized with long express waits, but that seems to have been fixed. Are you hearing that it’s not?

Someone was complaining about not being able to find blinky cups, and saying they were sold out, but I haven’t been seeing this complaint lately, so I’m hoping it was just a temporary outage until they restocked.

We looked in every store for that white Last of Us shirt, and it was nowhere to be found, and disappeared from the website. Not saying sold out, just poofed like it never existed. My kid was bummed, but at least he has a FEDRA can.
They didn’t do the water show this year, and they should have. Bring back Bill and Ted’s and that would be a massive people eater. Heck even giving the M3GANs a schedule for people to follow would have been something.

In watching several of the various streamers there are many complaints about the express taking far too long recently.
Off the top of my head one waited 40 minutes for Monsters for example - that was in the last week or so - and they were complaining about how much faster the non-express seemed to be going.

I'm not on the ground - but I watch far too many live streams and reports so I have a decent idea of what seems to be going on.

The general consensus seems to be that RIP is the only way to guarantee you do all 10 houses.
All that said - Id still rather have express than not - and the current price of RIP is ridiculous.

One big takeaway from this year is book all your RIP tours, Tickets etc.. day one - because who knows what will happen with prices and availability. You can always cancel or reschedule tours - but when you reschedule you pay the higher prices. That makes things tough as plans change as AP rates become available and of course flights.

I don't think HHN will ever be the same after this year - they need to rethink everything around tickets - that start date they added this year on multi-night tickets may become far more important in the future. My guess is we will see 10 days from your start date (or maybe first use) for the multi night tickets - but same price.

Yeah was thinking the same exactly the same thing - go to staples and buy some labels and print them. Its not hard - but you are talking a few thousand and its very tedious and who will do it.

They didn’t do the water show this year, and they should have. Bring back Bill and Ted’s and that would be a massive people eater. Heck even giving the M3GANs a schedule for people to follow would have been something.
Yup - they need a show other then the repetitive shlock they are doing now - I have zero interest in this show. the only time I saw it was when I did a RIP tour or when it was outside of Cafe Lambada and I was walking by.

Yeah the M3gan flash mob needs to be scheduled - but then I guess its not a flash mob. The one in Hollywood looks like it is better planned and in a theater.

I dont know of anyway who would not prefer them to bring back Bill & Ted other than maybe NBC executives who are uncomfortable with the content.

Yup - they need a show other then the repetitive shlock they are doing now - I have zero interest in this show. the only time I saw it was when I did a RIP tour or when it was outside of Cafe Lambada and I was walking by.

Yeah the M3gan flash mob needs to be scheduled - but then I guess its not a flash mob. The one in Hollywood looks like it is better planned and in a theater.

I dont know of anyway who would not prefer them to bring back Bill & Ted other than maybe NBC executives who are uncomfortable with the content.
I wouldn't be happy, for one. This year show is amazing. Unless you say in addition? Then ok, it might take people away from the things I like.

Doing Stay and Scream I've been able to do all houses every evening by 9:30 or earlier with Express. Not getting in line early, just joining the end of the Exorcist line when it started moving or shortly after. So it has not been too bad in September.

Since the passes are more expensive, it's possible they increased the stakes and people bought them only if they could attend many more nights than in the past. It's possible this year on average, passes have been used more often.
I used my Rush of Fear with Express 8 times, and only because the last week of September wasn't included as I hoped, otherwise it would have been more. I don't know what's the average.

Doing Stay and Scream I've been able to do all houses every evening by 9:30 or earlier with Express. Not getting in line early, just joining the end of the Exorcist line when it started moving or shortly after. So it has not been too bad in September.
I’m very interested in this strategy we are going 11/2 with express and stay and scream but I really don’t want to line up for a house at 3-4 pm. I was reading a blog post that recommended starting with TLOU and doing those 4 houses in the back then heading towards ST4. Thoughts? Did you always start with Exorcist ?

My family and I will be going to our 5th HHN next week. Since I will be in my mobility scooter, as I have been for a while, I have had to make many modifications/accommodations/additions to ensure I am able to enjoy HHN along with my family. We almost always go the 1st or 2nd week of October.

Now, keep in mind that I can’t take my ‘Scoot’ with me in in the line, so I either have to transfer to a wheelchair or I go through with my cane. I am able to go the ‘cane route’ for a bit, as long as I am not standing too long and get some good ‘sit and scoot’ recovery time in between.

In the past we have always gone 2 nights (man, I miss the buy one night, get a night free promotion), getting express passes for the first night, to get through all of the houses, and the 2nd night using my disability pass or regular lines, focusing on our favorite houses.

The first 2 years we went (pre-Covid) this worked fine. The lines weren’t bad and moved quickly.

Post Covid, things have gotten much worse, along with my ability to manage standing in lines.

In 2021 we went the ‘transfer to wheelchair’ method which made waiting in line great, but stunk for everything else. Because the houses are all so dimly lit my rotating ‘drivers’ had great difficulty navigating the paths without constantly bumping me into walls and scare actors. I spent more time apologizing for crushed toes and bruised knees, than enjoying the houses. (Once again, I am very sorry to any scare actor that had to receive medical assistance due to my wheelchair mishaps)

Last year was the 1st year I plunged and got the RIP tour for the 1st night and no more EP for the 2nd night. (I am not exactly rich on my disability payments, I budget like a mad-woman all year for this)

The RIP tour was a game changer for me and my ‘drivers’. I was able to scoot all of the way to the entrance, cane it through the houses, and my Scoot was waiting for me at the exit.

The 2nd night was rougher as we relied on my disability pass for return times so I could cane it through the EP lines. Some of the EP lines were 45 minutes to an hour and I was destroyed by the 3rd house. I basically scooted my way around the remainder of the park and hung out while my family enjoyed what houses they could get through in the regular lines.

So, this year we are doing the same plan as last year and I was determined to find a way to bring my walker with me, along with my Scoot. This will give me the ability the 2nd night to transfer to my walker, so I have more stability when I stand and opportunities to sit when the line isn’t moving. A walker attachment does not exist for my Travelscoot, so I spent months designing one and finding parts that would meet my needs for it. I put the final product together yesterday and am thrilled to say it works, so YAY!

Because of incidents in the past I have also added lights to my Scoot, because most people can’t see me at night. I have found a great deal of people will not care if they run out right in front of me, bump me, or shove me, because they are not paying attention. My reactions are slower, due to my condition, so I want to be safe and safe for those around me (and not running over anyone would be nice too).

From the posts I have read, the crowds are going to be even worse. (Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences this year). I am as prepared as I am going to be for this year’s event and will do whatever I can to ensure I can enjoy HHN for many years to come.

I wouldn't be happy, for one. This year show is amazing. Unless you say in addition? Then ok, it might take people away from the things I like.

Since the passes are more expensive, it's possible they increased the stakes and people bought them only if they could attend many more nights than in the past. It's possible this year on average, passes have been used more often.
I used my Rush of Fear with Express 8 times, and only because the last week of September wasn't included as I hoped, otherwise it would have been more. I don't know what's the average.
This year’s show is a recycled reconfiguration of at least the last 2 years. I wouldn’t have watched it except that my son in law suggested it so my daughter could rest her feet. I have seen that show 21,22 and now 23. I only saw it on purpose in 2021 after that it was someone else’s choice. It’s a decent show, I just didn’t need to see it 3 years in a row. We never watched it more than once a season. I certainly don’t plan on watching it next year if it’s still there.

heard both the 2nd & 3rd weekends, from both staff & fellow guests there.

I’m a stats sort of girl, find this fascinating, courtesy of Thrill Data for ST

View attachment 799851
Wow, so during my first time ever to the event I went on a night with the highest wait times. 9/16 was absolutely insane. Couldn't even see the ground with how many people were walking around the park at some points.

One big takeaway from this year is book all your RIP tours, Tickets etc.. day one - because who knows what will happen with prices and availability
‘I know’ next year, with the demand they saw for the tix, likely a sharp price increase much higher
The 2nd night was rougher as we relied on my disability pass for return times so I could cane it through the EP lines. Some of the EP lines were 45 minutes to an hour
They have additional levels of their accessibility accommodations. Perhaps speak to GS before next trip to discuss your specific needs
Wow, so during my first time ever to the event I went on a night with the highest wait times. 9/16 was absolutely any insane. Couldn't even see the ground with how many people were walking around the park at some points.
Same

Did parks only yesterday. They seemed holiday crowded to me

Did watch the wait times for HHN Last nights times about 1/3 less than that day.

Maybe we will get lucky tonight with our waits lol. It could happen

‘I know’ next year, with the demand they saw for the tix, likely a sharp price increase much higher
I suspect we will see very different ticket options next year so they can better control things.

Id be surprised if ROF came back next year - I know we wait every year to see if its going to be availably - which is even more annoying then waiting on the house lineups - next to impossible to plan your trip without that info.

Next year we may just the three frequent fear ones with maybe the first two weeks included for the ones that don't include Friday or Saturday - and a limited amount availably or with a set end date for sales and yes even more expensive than this year.

Possible they wont even do that - maybe just dated multi-night tickets good for 5-10 nights from your start date.

Worst case if they go with a reservation system for multi-night, but that seems like more trouble than its worth.

They need to do something to make it more pleasant for those that have spent the money on express.

That said and no matter how much I might complain about the price I cant see doing it without express anymore.
Did parks only yesterday. They seemed holiday crowded to me
It is a three day weekend in many places so its a holiday weekend I guess.

My understanding is that they absolutely will not sell non-alcoholic versions in the blinky cups. I also read on another page that you can get in trouble if someone who appears underage is seen drinking out of a blinky cup. Like don’t refill with soda and give it to your kid because blinky cup = alcohol at HHN and UO is actively on the lookout for underage drinking. I did not verify this with a TM when we were there, but to be on the safe side, my teen had to wait until we got home to commandeer the blinky cup for his non-alcoholic blended slushy drinks. Anyway, just be careful and check with a TM when you buy yours. They are really cool!
Thank you! I wondered if they just assumed a blinky cup was alcohol. We’ll play it safe and keep the extra in the bag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter