• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Official" 2018 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - Holiday Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear what you're saying about the photo being unlike a ride because in theory, it would not take more time, but let's be 100% honest, it will. It's always longer with more people because of the setup time, and the individual shots, etc. It may be only 15 seconds or so, but let's come back to that.

Anyway, what about the other side of the equation? If a single member of a family holds a line for 1.5 hours, the multiple rides the other members of the family were doing in that 1.5 hours were causing impact. Every ride they did was taking "a car" away from each of those rides because honestly, they should have been waiting in the meet and greet line like everyone else. Why is it ok to reserve a place in line just because you happen to have an idle warm body handy? I'd love to stick a mannequin in a bunch of lines and then join up when it reaches the front.

It's all about the scaling. One person or family adding 15 seconds to a queue is meaningless, but what if everyone did it? Spread that 15 seconds across 500 families, and that's about 2 hours.

I'll stop now, because I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I just didn't want anyone to read that "technique" and think it's ok without thinking that maybe it's not ok, and that maybe the people behind you actually disliked it quite a bit more than you think they did.

I hear what you're saying about the photo being unlike a ride because in theory, it would not take more time, but let's be 100% honest, it will. It's always longer with more people because of the setup time, and the individual shots, etc. It may be only 15 seconds or so, but let's come back to that.

Anyway, what about the other side of the equation? If a single member of a family holds a line for 1.5 hours, the multiple rides the other members of the family were doing in that 1.5 hours were causing impact. Every ride they did was taking "a car" away from each of those rides because honestly, they should have been waiting in the meet and greet line like everyone else. Why is it ok to reserve a place in line just because you happen to have an idle warm body handy? I'd love to stick a mannequin in a bunch of lines and then join up when it reaches the front.

It's all about the scaling. One person or family adding 15 seconds to a queue is meaningless, but what if everyone did it? Spread that 15 seconds across 500 families, and that's about 2 hours.

I'll stop now, because I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I just didn't want anyone to read that "technique" and think it's ok without thinking that maybe it's not ok, and that maybe the people behind you actually disliked it quite a bit more than you think they did.

I totally agree with this. I only stand in line to meet goofy but I have seen larger groups/families take up much longer than say a single person as it does take time to pose/ interact/ rearrange the group and it is the cumulative effect if multiple people in line do it.
Although no one in the line voiced an objection you can bet your bottom dollar there were plenty of ‘under the breath’ comments made( That’s what I would have done, I certainly wouldn’t have made a scene at a Christmas Party)

I just wouldn’t do it to my fellow party goers as I wouldn’t like it done to me.

So does anyone want to switch topics - like to politics or sports teams? Or people putting their kids on their shoulders while holding up an iPad during the fireworks? You know, something a little less tense? lol

Oh look - I see a shiny red Mickey Mouse ornament over there! Let’s talk about that.

I agree with @lchuck they are two different things. I wouldn't mind it at a character meet and greet because whether it is one person or six people they are all taking the picture together. It doesn't really affect the line. I did have this happen to me in both a ride line and a character meet and greet. With the character it had no affect on the amount of time I spent in line. On the ride it did affect how long it took me to get on the ride especially since it was 14 cheerleaders who cut the line and Disney does not do anything about line cutters. I got a big free FP to use in the park which did nothing for me. Their policy is not to make people get out of line. So you can complain but it won't change people's behavior. That is why I will never go during Pop Warner week or any other week cheerleaders are in the park. It was their coach saving the space. Nice lesson she was teaching the girls.:cheer2:
What and when is Pop Warner week?

If I have park tickets for the day and buy the party ticket do I have to physically leave and get the party ticket activated?
I always hate it when people miss having questions answered because a thread goes askew, sorry about that! If you are in the park for the day and also the party at night, they have designated stations where you can go and get your party wristband and map without having to leave the park. 2017 checkpoints were at Tortuga Tavern, Mickey's Philharmagic, and Buzz Lightyear and if there are changes, then our fine OP will list those in the 1st post. Thanks!

So does anyone want to switch topics - like to politics or sports teams? Or people putting their kids on their shoulders while holding up an iPad during the fireworks? You know, something a little less tense? lol

Oh look - I see a shiny red Mickey Mouse ornament over there! Let’s talk about that.
Wait, is the kid holding the iPad or the adult? If it's the kid, then I want to see a picture of that! :P

Quick question--DH has an AP, I do not. Can he buy a ticket for me at the slightly discounted price? Sorry if this has already been addressed! Thanks!

What and when is Pop Warner week?
It is the Pop Warner football and cheerleading championships held at ESPN. It is held every year the first week in Dec. Last year it was Dec 1st to 8th. This year it will be Dec 2 - 7. The groups get park tickets as part of their package. They usually take over the value resorts and some of the moderate resorts. I am sure there are threads on the Dis about it. Some people say they don't affect the parks but that was not my experience.

I totally agree with this. I only stand in line to meet goofy but I have seen larger groups/families take up much longer than say a single person as it does take time to pose/ interact/ rearrange the group and it is the cumulative effect if multiple people in line do it.
Although no one in the line voiced an objection you can bet your bottom dollar there were plenty of ‘under the breath’ comments made( That’s what I would have done, I certainly wouldn’t have made a scene at a Christmas Party)

I just wouldn’t do it to my fellow party goers as I wouldn’t like it done to me.
I think meeting the interactive characters like goofy are totally different than the 7 dwarfs. The dwarfs don't sign autographs or interact with the guests. You take a picture or two and you are out. I would be angry in the situation you describe. I personally think that Disney should not allow the characters to sign autographs during the Christmas party. It takes too much time so the lines move slowly and you can't see all of the main characters you want to see and get a photo with. Last year my DD and her friend gave up on Scrooge McDuck and Donald because even though the line seemed low it was taking forever because of all the autographs with the children and BTW there were no line cutters . It took them half an hour to go through a few groups. At 7 dwarfs they would have been through half the line even with lchucks family joining in. The Christmas parties are now so crowded that allowing the characters to do meet and greets is unfair to other guests who also want to see them. That is why Jack Skellington and The 7 dwarfs don't sign autographs and just take pictures because they are the most popular and their lines would take all night if they actually did what Santa Goofy and the other characters do. I know Disney won't change their policy because of me just like I know they don't enforce their line cutting policy either. So you can go ahead and be mad because Disney doesn't care.

It is the Pop Warner football and cheerleading championships held at ESPN. It is held every year the first week in Dec. Last year it was Dec 1st to 8th. This year it will be Dec 2 - 7. The groups get park tickets as part of their package. They usually take over the value resorts and some of the moderate resorts. I am sure there are threads on the Dis about it. Some people say they don't affect the parks but that was not my experience.
Oh bummer. I will be there 11/29-12-4

Oh bummer. I will be there 11/29-12-4
You should be fine. They don't impact the parks until Wed and later because Sun, Mon and Tues is the beginning of the competition so everyone hasn't been eliminated yet. It was Wed when we started seeing all of the cheerleaders. We are going in that same time frame. Where are you staying? Maybe we will see you there.

You should be fine. They don't impact the parks until Wed and later because Sun, Mon and Tues is the beginning of the competition so everyone hasn't been eliminated yet. It was Wed when we started seeing all of the cheerleaders. We are going in that same time frame. Where are you staying? Maybe we will see you there.
I am staying in a LM room at AoA. I really want to be at that resort so decided to try it once.

I did see today on KTP site that 11/29 (last year), the day I arrive, he has MK closing at 4:30 for a CM party. My plan was to go there and then to Narcoossee's for dinner and watch fireworks but they wont have them that nite. So I may go over to EPCOT after dinner if they do that again this year

I am staying in a LM room at AoA. I really want to be at that resort so decided to try it once.

I did see today on KTP site that 11/29 (last year), the day I arrive, he has MK closing at 4:30 for a CM party. My plan was to go there and then to Narcoossee's for dinner and watch fireworks but they wont have them that nite. So I may go over to EPCOT after dinner if they do that again this year
We are staying at the Poly 11/25- Dec 5th. I always wanted to stay there.

What is the process like if you pick up your wrist band from inside park? I’m thinking of going to the fantasyland one.

Is it a long line - spend more than 10 - 15 minutes waiting? Does it start right at 4pm or a little earlier?

I just got tickets for December 11th, and they were $105, but I only know the adult price since my kids are teenagers :)
We are planning on going the same day. We haven’t bought tickets yet because I don’t fell like paying for them yet. Haha.

Okay party dates during my stay are the December 11TH (T) , 13TH (TH) , 14TH (F), 16TH (Sun) and 18TH (T). First will Friday still be AM EMH and if it is, does that make that a less desirable day to go to MK during the day or does the theory of a party day being less crowded due to shortened hours still apply? Second which day would you pick to go to the party? The 11TH is not super convenient due to it being our arrival day.

The party night will actually be our only Disney time during this upcoming trip (Universal and Sea World and MVMCP) and none of them really require much planning so today I actually found myself wondering what FPs I would get for pre-party time. I'm thinking sort of iconic stuff rather than anything hard to get--maybe POC, IaSW and HM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter