November Trip Reports

Readout for today. Turned out to be beautiful.

The horses were getting some practice trips in pulling the Christmas sleighs. There were two horses and sleighs akshulee.

And later both horses were in my loop at the same time.

Watched games and did some golf cart driving.

All the rain the Fort has received in the last few weeks combined with the high visitation rate has taken a toll on the landscape. The rain has certainly contributed to the mosquitoes this late in the season. Specifically, there are ruts and worn places around due to heavy golf carts and vehicles and service carts.

First, the big field up by the hitch/unhitch slips has been taped off to prevent people from getting on it while it's still soft.

It has numerous ruts in places.

Up by the Outpost Bus Depot, the golf cart parking lot is not big enough to handle demand so folk park on the shoulder along the road just outside it or across the sidewalk. Getting out for some has created a bad rut situation over there.

This pic was back to Outpost bus looking towards big field and the cabin loop road intersection.

Down by the tennis courts and the service road leading to the Meadow Pool, a piece along the canal has been rutted pretty bad (I guess by service carts? mowers?).

DW has slept a lot today. DS did laundry. I cooked and watched games.

Tomorrow we have a breakfast ADR at Grand Floridian Cafe. DW may pass but we will see how she feels. But they have a mix of breakfast and lunch entrees at both breakfast and lunch times (wanted lunch but not available so took the breakfast).

Gonna start taking down one of the canvas tents tomorrow. First official concession that we are going home soon.

Bama Ed

Today's activities were minimal and restful.

DW was still a little under the weather so DS and I went to the Grand Floridian for breakfast and the resort was decorated very nicely.

Folks were lined up to have their photos taken in front of the lobby Christmas tree.

As well as the gingerbread house (which we saw starting to be assembled during our Halloween visit).

Didn't buy a piece of gingerbread to taste but it smelled great.

As I mentioned, the breakfast menu at the Grand Floridian Cafe is a mix of breakfast and lunch entrees. I got a Reuben Sandwich with fries which I devoured and DS got the Grand Breakfast with 2 eggs easy over, sausage, bacon, and cheesy potato casserole.

He licked his plate clean too.

On the way out we checked out the view outside toward the pool. It was getting warm and blue sky was peeking out.

Headed for the parking lot, I got a pic of more trees in the upper floors of the lobby.

This afternoon we took down one tent and started going through stuff with the NFL on the tv. One souvenir I got was a copy of the old retro MK map I had found at Disney Springs. So I went ahead and got the puzzle of the same design I had seen. May try to work on it over the holidays.

Taking DS to MCO in the morning which will leave us about 24 hours remaining in our vacation.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

I've been enjoying your trip reports greatly! Thank you for the update on grounds and mosquitoes. We'll be arriving a week from today and need to be sure to plan accordingly. We spend a LOT of time outdoors there.

Well the temps while you are here look a little cooler 70s/50s and only one day has significant rain chances (but hey, this is Florida, it WILL change). But you have to figure at some point things will correct into their seasonal position. I wish I had brought a thin, light layer (long sleeve and long pant) that would not have been hot/cotton.

Regardless, your weather should be better than mine. I hope you enjoy the HECK out of it and yes, spend that time outside.

Bama Ed

Well the temps while you are here look a little cooler 70s/50s and only one day has significant rain chances (but hey, this is Florida, it WILL change). But you have to figure at some point things will correct into their seasonal position. I wish I had brought a thin, light layer (long sleeve and long pant) that would not have been hot/cotton.

Regardless, your weather should be better than mine. I hope you enjoy the HECK out of it and yes, spend that time outside.

Bama Ed
I can deal with 50/70 days. I always wear light hiking pants/long sleeve shirts. Will bring my layers with me (what can I say, I'm a native Floridian).

Thanks again!!

Sure, packing up is sad. But I'm ready to go home after being here for 2 weeks +. I know some folks come for longer periods but I don't think I want to. This vacation has taught me that our sweet spot is about a week at the Fort with maybe one Magic Kingdom day (in off season).

Today being the last full day, after packing I made some rounds to the Meadow area and then later we rode the boat and monorail to MK, Poly, and finally Contemporary then back home. I took lots of pix in a final flurry of photo taking so here they are with minimal commentary. Oh and it was another beautiful day.

Next post coming up. Same rules apply.

Bama Ed

The Poly is the one deluxe resort at WDW that I would stay at if I could afford it.

Got the Hot Turkey Sandwich with fries at the Contempo Cafe. Neither the fries nor the sandwich were even lukewarm. Oh well, I took one for the team so now you know to avoid it.

The Contemporary Resort Gingerbread House.

Almost ready to head back to the Fort in the next pics.

Bama Ed

I did play some pinball (first time in about 10 yrs) in the Contemporary Game Room before we left.

Rode the short monorail hop to the TTC and took the ferry to MK.

And back home to the Fort and the Trails End Porch and Crockett's Tavern window.

But we loved having the kids here with us again at the Fort. First time in over 10 years we were all here together at the same time. So that made it special. It probably won't happen again for a long time.

One picture left to share. I've started another tradition. In the next post.

Bama Ed

Before I turn in, I have to share my new Fort tradition.

See, I have a few personal Fort traditions.

One is to visit the Fort railroad tracks sleeping in the wilderness (not the ties but the remaining rails).

Another is to visit my name in the pavement somewhere in the Fort.

But you may have heard of those people who were lucky enough to not only win one lottery drawing - but they also won a second lottery drawing. And so it is with me. I've been lucky twice.

There is a new tradition from the November 2022 visit that I will add to the list of the others.

Bama Ed

Before I turn in, I have to share my new Fort tradition.

See, I have a few personal Fort traditions.

One is to visit the Fort railroad tracks sleeping in the wilderness (not the ties but the remaining rails).

Another is to visit my name in the pavement somewhere in the Fort.

But you may have heard of those people who were lucky enough to not only win one lottery drawing - but they also won a second lottery drawing. And so it is with me. I've been lucky twice.

There is a new tradition from the November 2022 visit that I will add to the list of the others.

Bama Ed
Well, looking for new concrete pours should help at least… awesome!!

Loved those last pics of the trip.

We also have special Fort traditions, but I like to keep them secret. I don't think I could do the wet cement autograph. You're a brave man.

We plan to do a kicking it pic (our first time) and will post when I can. Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation.

I really enjoyed your trip report ED. Lots of stuff to like and bring up good memories. Let me know if you want to hook up on a future trip. I know that time is tight when you're on vacation and there's no obligation, just give me a shout and if it works out, it works out. I can bring lunch, maybe some Pub Subs? :thumbsup2

Bama-ed, Your trip brought back so many wonderful memories Grumpy Aggie & myself had. Thank your for a wonderful trip report! Yours are always great! This time in 2018 we were at "The Fort" for about 3 wks. Had to stay longer because today, in 2018 is when I broke my right hip at our camp site. We had to stay until the week before Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter