November Check In 2010

5 new travelers added to the list. :woohoo: Bet there are a lot more by the time November rolls around!

How many out there have been to Disneyland in November before? We have tried just about all the fall months. November is our favorite! You get wonderful weather, the beautiful decorations for the holidays and, if you time it just right, the parades, Reindeer Roundup and other holiday season offerings WITHOUT the full December crowds. While I don't mind a December trip... because after all I would really go any chance I could.... I definitely prefer November so our vacation hustle and bustle does not fall so close to Christmas. We enjoy both occasions so much more if they are not crammed together and the entire month of December is not a total blurr!

We've never been in November, so I'm really excited! We went once in December and it was very busy, but beautiful! My mom hasn't been to Dland since I was a kid, and has never been during the holidays, so I can't wait for her to see everything. My DD is so excited too, so this should be an extra magical trip. :)

Is it silly that one of the things I'm really excited about is the holiday food/drinks? :santa:

StephNJer, glad you are going to get the chance to experience Disneyland in November. Sounds like a great trip coming up with lots of excitement building! Not silly at all to be looking forward to the holiday food and drinks... well, at least not in my book. I swear half the time it seems like I spend a good portion of my trip planning devoted to dining and looking forward to treats but in all actuality when we are finally there I couldn't possibly take in all the ideas I've got on my list! I think even if I did it would all get walked off in the park. My thought is that calories do not get to count while we are on vacation! :lmao: Be sure to grab a white hot chocolate. They are soooo good!

Will definitely have to grab one of those! I'm also looking forward to those Mickey gingerbread men I keep hearing about.

I am the same way though, I love planning and thinking about where we will eat. Thinking about doing a character meal at AG this time, we did the breakfast at Plaza last time and loved it. My DD is princess obsessed so I think she'll love it.

I've been during November when I was growing up (my parents spoiled me rotten - I believe I have been to DL every holiday :lovestruc.) We all have been to DL in both October and December, both are fabulous times!!!

This year between all the kids activites (cheer, color guard and basketball) and them not willing to miss school (my kids are craaaaaaaaazeeeeeeee :confused3), Thanksgiving seems to be the best choice! (Our family isn't close - so we are our own family!!!! :love:) And it will also be to celebrate DS's 12th bday (2 weeks prior)!!!!

My DH LOVES DL especially during the holiday season - October-December. I LOVE DL anytime, hence I have DECIDED I want APs....again...(had them 2005-2006). :banana: CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Will definitely have to grab one of those! I'm also looking forward to those Mickey gingerbread men I keep hearing about.

I am the same way though, I love planning and thinking about where we will eat. Thinking about doing a character meal at AG this time, we did the breakfast at Plaza last time and loved it. My DD is princess obsessed so I think she'll love it.
You really do have to try one of those gingerbread men.
gingerbread-man.png
I don't even like gingerbread but the ones they had at Disneyland were wonderful!
1sm216mmm.gif

So which dining establishments are on your must do list? We must do Blue Bayou since it has become tradition. And my men folk think they must do Plaza Inn. DD and I must do Rainforest Cafe. DH and I must have clam chowder in a bread bowl usually from Royal Street Veranda and a corn dog from the red wagon. DD must have chicken strips from Stage Door Café. And finally my DS must have at least one turkey leg. All of those solve quite a bit of my dining decisions!
Then.... for second choices we sometimes try to get in one meal at Bengal BBQ and Cafe Orleans. Oh and this time we are going to try something new, the Celebration Roundup & Barbecue. As you can see, I was not joking about my dedication to our dining plans!

My DD has also chosen the princess: Princess character meal so who knows..... maybe we will see you there since our dates look like they overlap.

I've been during November when I was growing up (my parents spoiled me rotten - I believe I have been to DL every holiday :lovestruc.) We all have been to DL in both October and December, both are fabulous times!!!

This year between all the kids activites (cheer, color guard and basketball) and them not willing to miss school (my kids are craaaaaaaaazeeeeeeee :confused3), Thanksgiving seems to be the best choice! (Our family isn't close - so we are our own family!!!! :love:) And it will also be to celebrate DS's 12th bday (2 weeks prior)!!!!

My DH LOVES DL especially during the holiday season - October-December. I LOVE DL anytime, hence I have DECIDED I want APs....again...(had them 2005-2006). :banana: CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! :banana:
If you had to be spoiled growing up I think Disneyland was a grand way to do it! I never made it as a child but I am doing all I can as an adult to make up for all I missed out on in my childhood :laughing: and making sure my kids never feel like they are missing out. :thumbsup2

I agree. October is also a good month but it has gotten very crowded with all the added activities that have been added. Since we are not big on Halloween celebrations it only makes sense to opt for one of the other months. Doing the park when it is decked out in it's holiday attire is an added bonus! You do sound pretty busy but I am glad you were able to squeeze in some time to make it to the park. Everyone can use a little of that quality family time! We don't have any other close family members either so I know what you mean about being your own family. I think we have a better time when it is just us anyway. I know it reduces my stress when it's just the four of us! Anyway, yay for your DS's birthday celebration in the park! :cake:

I say go for the AP! If you know you will be going back within the year it is certainly the best way to go! After having APs for numerous years my DH has become a snob. Last time I purchased multi day passes so I could get a couple early entry days. I later upgraded to APs. In the meantime my DH moaned and complained cause he hated the "stupid old paper tickets". He didn't like not having his picture on his ticket! :lmao: Needless to say we are getting our regular APs this year. I've never been any other time but in the fall but I bet I am like you and anytime would probably be just fine with me!

I started wondering if there was a month I haven't been to DL and I think I've hit them all at some time or another, I've had alot of years of practice. Our usual time seems to be Oct and Nov as we try to avoid the high crowd times (if that's even possible anymore). I love early Nov for the low crowds and mid Nov for the holiday decorations.

Oh a November thread!! Our dates are 11/28 - 12/3 at VGC. It's my birthday trip. :thumbsup2

I'll be there in November :cool1:

November 10-15 my first stay at the VGC

It will be me, my mom, and my 5 youngest siblings. Then we're bringing 4 more people who have never been before and my mom's putting them up at Best Western Raffles.

I'm too excited and can't wait :banana:

If you had to be spoiled growing up I think Disneyland was a grand way to do it! I never made it as a child but I am doing all I can as an adult to make up for all I missed out on in my childhood :laughing: and making sure my kids never feel like they are missing out. :thumbsup2

I agree. October is also a good month but it has gotten very crowded with all the added activities that have been added. Since we are not big on Halloween celebrations it only makes sense to opt for one of the other months. Doing the park when it is decked out in it's holiday attire is an added bonus! You do sound pretty busy but I am glad you were able to squeeze in some time to make it to the park. Everyone can use a little of that quality family time! We don't have any other close family members either so I know what you mean about being your own family. I think we have a better time when it is just us anyway. I know it reduces my stress when it's just the four of us! Anyway, yay for your DS's birthday celebration in the park! :cake:

I say go for the AP! If you know you will be going back within the year it is certainly the best way to go! After having APs for numerous years my DH has become a snob. Last time I purchased multi day passes so I could get a couple early entry days. I later upgraded to APs. In the meantime my DH moaned and complained cause he hated the "stupid old paper tickets". He didn't like not having his picture on his ticket! :lmao: Needless to say we are getting our regular APs this year. I've never been any other time but in the fall but I bet I am like you and anytime would probably be just fine with me!

Disneyland is an AWESOME way to spoil the kids, and we have been doing that for years with our kids...they have Disney in their blood~~~ :woohoo:

The kids LOVE the decorations in October, but alas their activities don't allow the time to go then - maybe next year - I am looking forward to the Christmas decorations - for our annual Family Christmas Card!!!

DS is SUPER EXCITED about celebrating HIS Bday at Disneyland as both DSs have spent their Bdays there - most recently for DD 14 we spent a week at DLH August 2009 for her 14th Bday!

I have talked to the kids :grouphug: and they AGREE APs this year are the way to go - we may not be able to do it next year....but oh look out 2010-2011!!!! I have already a list in my head of the next 4-5 trips we can make! :rolleyes1

Added a few more today! Another birthday celebration in the park too! I think that makes 5. Makes me want to go for mine. Oh, John, sweetheart, honey....... :rolleyes1

I started wondering if there was a month I haven't been to DL and I think I've hit them all at some time or another, I've had alot of years of practice. Our usual time seems to be Oct and Nov as we try to avoid the high crowd times (if that's even possible anymore). I love early Nov for the low crowds and mid Nov for the holiday decorations.
That's great that you have got to try out all the months! I am sure some are much better than others. For example, I would love to be there for my birthday month of July but think it would be too crowded and warmer than I would like. Still... I wouldn't turn down the opportunity if it was ever offered! Anyway, since we only have one vacation opportunity per year we so far have stuck with the fall months for the great weather, off season crowd level and less chance of ride refurbishments. I do agree that it is getting a lot harder to find any time that has less of a crowd. Guess that's a good thing though. That means our Disneyland won't be going anywhere anytime soon and they will keep making money to make continual improvements and expansions. :thumbsup2

On a side note, thanks for all the DVC info. I just realized that I didn't get back to you after the last pm. If it were all up to me I would get in on DVC in a heart beat! Guess I will just have to get more info and see what happens. Thanks again for all the info!
thanx.gif

Thought I would go back and read over the trips planned so far and add a few comments to spark some conversations and get the planning juices flowing....
DisneyMomma81, I hope your mom decides to go. No better place to spend time with the family. Thinking of traveling with moms brought a special park memory to mind.... Sadly, we have no living parents but I love watching other families enjoying each others company. :love: Maybe too much.... one year I had been watching a grandpa and his grandson having a great time. It brought me to tears thinking about how much I would love to have my mom with us. There I was at the happiest place on earth boo-hooing
sad-035.gif
in the middle of Critter Country. Happy, bittersweet tears though. Anyway, I approached the mom and told her what a wonderful sight it was to see and that she was very lucky to be able to share the park with her family. She probably thought I was insane... me standing there with tears in my eyes.... but hopefully it made her stop to think about cherishing the time she had with her parents.
Now everyone go hug your parents! Especially dad since it is his day today. Happy Father's Day to all our Disney dads! :hug:

ShellyMouse, your plans sound like fun! Will have to try the whale watching someday! Have you got your LGMH already? I've got one I had made several years ago. If it's not too beat up I may use it again.
For anyone who does not know... a LGMH is a lime green Mickey head. Disers sometimes wear them to the park so it is easy to spot each other in the crowd. Most people usually display their user name. Trying to spot other Disers is just a little something else fun to do while you are at the park. Here's a photo of the one I made several trips ago.
193747246875076950ba8.jpg

Oregonluvsdisney, wow! You are going to have quite a group there! I'll bet will be crazy with that many youngsters BUT oh so much fun!
We have been to DL with 2 other families but the most extras was only 4 at one time. On our last trip to WDW we were with a different family with an additional 6. A lot of fun but, boy, was I tired after that day! In our case going with just 4 of is was so much more relaxing.

ams1201, we've done the Hollywood tour on one of our trips. Interesting to do but once was enough for us. I would suggest if you take a tour find one that is only for small groups, or even, better totally private. We rode on a bus that was packed like sardines and so hot we ended up getting off and just taking a cab back to our hotel. :sad2:

Brady's Mom, congratulations on managing to get the whole family there at once. My oldest son is 19 now so getting closer to the day when he is off on his own and doing his own thing. I am not looking forward to that day. Here's hoping we can keep convincing him even then to take a DL vacation with us. Hope you whole family has a blast!

scrappychar, I'm still hoping for a good airfare sale to come along too. Not sure how long I can hold out cause I really like to have that part taken care of and out of the way. Just gotta decide how long to wait. Either way I am going to DL!

Todd Lee, oooh! I would love to have family to stay with close to DL. Of course, they would probably get tired of me showing up on their doorstep every chance I could. :laughing: Legoland is fun for the little ones too. Still... nothing quite beats Disneyland!

lampardcl, I am in awe! That's a long way to come and a lot of people! Has any of your bunch ever been to DL before?

Seaera, how many traveling in your group? I'd love to stay in the DLH someday!

Littleprincess2010, that is quite a drive! We have traveled to the park by just about every means possible. I wouldn't mind driving again some day if my DH were not such a grump when he's driving. He doesn't understand why all the rest of us would rather fly! :confused3 It's going to be a lot of fun for you sharing the park with your family for their first times!

letitsnow, 3 suites? How many will be traveling in your party? There are only 4 in my family but we always get the largest room at the Desert Inn, which is basically 2 rooms, so we have plenty of room to spread out, extra tvs and 2 bathrooms.

CruisinEars, a quick trip to DL is better than no stop at all! And a great place to be for a birthday!

DizDragonfly, don't forget to pick up your birthday button!

DisneyHeather, it is so much fun sharing the park with others who have never been. Very nice of your mom to take care of the accommodations!
yes-1.gif

Gidget, I'm right there with you. Raising my kids to love Disney! I keep thinking I will get our annual photo on Christmas cards but ALAS I'm not that organized and never seem to get around to it. I have had several calendars made up to give as gifts. Of course, you have to pass those on to just the right people or they won't appreciate the Disneyland photos.
That is great that your DS is looking forward to his birthday in the park. Are you making any special plans yet?
Lucky you! 4-5 trips? I am so jealous! You must be much closer than I am. I have to make do with once a year and squeeze everything in that I can to last me a whole year!

For those of you have been to the park on Thanksgiving day how is it? Right now my plan is to leave the day before but I'm considering staying through the holiday. How crowded? Any good traditional meals to recommend? Did it make your day extra special to be in the park? I would kinda like to stay but like Jrsy Boy I think we will most likely end up heading home to spend Thanksgiving day with the extended family.

Thinking of traveling with moms brought a special park memory to mind.... Sadly, we have no living parents but I love watching other families enjoying each others company. :love: Maybe too much.... one year I had been watching a grandpa and his grandson having a great time. It brought me to tears thinking about how much I would love to have my mom with us. There I was at the happiest place on earth boo-hooing
sad-035.gif
in the middle of Critter Country. Happy, bittersweet tears though. Anyway, I approached the mom and told her what a wonderful sight it was to see and that she was very lucky to be able to share the park with her family. She probably thought I was insane... me standing there with tears in my eyes.... but hopefully it made her stop to think about cherishing the time she had with her parents.
Now everyone go hug your parents! Especially dad since it is his day today. Happy Father's Day to all our Disney dads! :hug:

Here's a photo of the one I made several trips ago.
193747246875076950ba8.jpg

Very cool LGMH! :thumbsup2

I can totally relate to your story as my Mom passed away almost 12 years ago. I have wonderful memories of trips with my parents along with both sets of grandparents over the years. That's how I've managed to hit all the months of the year at DL. My Dad still travels with us on most Disney trips, even WDW. For DL's 50th we had 25 family members with us on our Nov 2005 trip. People would comment what a large group we were, but that was a drop in the bucket for our family. My mom was from a family of eight so we are large extended family when we get together. We all had a great time and spent quite a bit of time in evenings in the lobby visiting. DL is a magical place to share with friends and family.

We are planning a trip Nov. 2-7. We were at DLR the same time last year and LOVED it. Low, low crowds and short wait times. Halloween coming down and Holiday going up - it was fun to see what had changed every day when we walked into the parks!

Cast:
DH, Me, DS 8 and DS 6 are going Tues. night thru Sun. evening (that way DH only misses 3 days of work)
DS 22 and DS 14 are flying in on Fri. evening and flying home with us on Sun. They can't miss school since one is in college and the other high school.

Place:
HoJo Kid's Suite

First Family Vacation with ALL of us in 2.5+ years. :banana: We've been to DLR plenty of times without our oldest DS - but he is coming with us this time.

Does that mean lots of rides will be down? Am looking at going Nov 10-19
and Fantastic and WOC will be weekends only?

Disneyland is an AWESOME way to spoil the kids, and we have been doing that for years with our kids...they have Disney in their blood~~~ :woohoo:

The kids LOVE the decorations in October, but alas their activities don't allow the time to go then - maybe next year - I am looking forward to the Christmas decorations - for our annual Family Christmas Card!!!

DS is SUPER EXCITED about celebrating HIS Bday at Disneyland as both DSs have spent their Bdays there - most recently for DD 14 we spent a week at DLH August 2009 for her 14th Bday!

I have talked to the kids :grouphug: and they AGREE APs this year are the way to go - we may not be able to do it next year....but oh look out 2010-2011!!!! I have already a list in my head of the next 4-5 trips we can make! :rolleyes1

We will be getting AP's too. :banana:
We want to go next year in October for the Halloween festivities. Never been during that time, and October is our favorite time of year. AP's seem to be the way to go , since DL is only about a 3 hour drive for us, we figure we may as well go as often as possible while our kids are young and will enjoy it so much. We were joking the other day that for the next few years we will always have at least one future Disney trip planned!

You really do have to try one of those gingerbread men.
gingerbread-man.png
I don't even like gingerbread but the ones they had at Disneyland were wonderful!
1sm216mmm.gif

So which dining establishments are on your must do list? We must do Blue Bayou since it has become tradition. And my men folk think they must do Plaza Inn. DD and I must do Rainforest Cafe. DH and I must have clam chowder in a bread bowl usually from Royal Street Veranda and a corn dog from the red wagon. DD must have chicken strips from Stage Door Café. And finally my DS must have at least one turkey leg. All of those solve quite a bit of my dining decisions!
Then.... for second choices we sometimes try to get in one meal at Bengal BBQ and Cafe Orleans. Oh and this time we are going to try something new, the Celebration Roundup & Barbecue. As you can see, I was not joking about my dedication to our dining plans!

My DD has also chosen the princess: Princess character meal so who knows..... maybe we will see you there since our dates look like they overlap.

Oh, Blue Bayou is a must for us too! So many great memories assosciated with that restaurant. We loved our character breakfast so much last year at Plaza that we will for sure do that again. We also love Rainforest Cafe. This year we're doing something a little different. DH's work actually sells Disney gift cards to employees and you can have the cost deducted over a few paychecks, so we've been doing that for a few months now. I've actually budgeted out a number for just food so we'll use our gift cards for that. It also means we'll be eating exclusively in the parks for the most part, but it's such a fun way to save up. No cash to worry about and we still can save up!

I can totally relate to your story as my Mom passed away almost 12 years ago. I have wonderful memories of trips with my parents along with both sets of grandparents over the years. That's how I've managed to hit all the months of the year at DL. My Dad still travels with us on most Disney trips, even WDW. For DL's 50th we had 25 family members with us on our Nov 2005 trip. People would comment what a large group we were, but that was a drop in the bucket for our family. My mom was from a family of eight so we are large extended family when we get together. We all had a great time and spent quite a bit of time in evenings in the lobby visiting. DL is a magical place to share with friends and family.

I can relate too. My dad passed away three years ago, and I keep thinking about how much he would love to be here to go with us and see the joy on his grandkid's faces. My dad was a big kid himself and it's tough when I think about how much fun he would have with us at DL. He will be with us in spirit though.

Relate, yes, but have you actually broken down in tears inside the park? Silly me. :sad2: That must have been so awesome to get to go to DL so often while you were growing up. How cool to go with such a large family!

When I was growing up my parents just didn't spend money on things that we did not need. My how different my outlook is! :laughing: IMHO, family vacations are absolutely something we need and what better place to do it than DL?

Does that mean lots of rides will be down? Am looking at going Nov 10-19
and Fantastic and WOC will be weekends only?
No, not usually. Sometimes they will take one ride down in the fall but I have not seen anything listed yet. As for the shows, yes, they are usually on weekends. Not sure about WOC yet. I am sure it depends on the demand between now and then. Will just have to wait until the calendar comes out closer to November. Let me know when you confirm your trip plans and I will ad you to the list!

We will be getting AP's too. :banana:
We want to go next year in October for the Halloween festivities. Never been during that time, and October is our favorite time of year. AP's seem to be the way to go , since DL is only about a 3 hour drive for us, we figure we may as well go as often as possible while our kids are young and will enjoy it so much. We were joking the other day that for the next few years we will always have at least one future Disney trip planned!
Yay for APs! They are a great deal for those of us who manage to squeeze in two 2 week trips annually. They are an even better bargain when you live closer to the park than we do. :thumbsup2

Oh, Blue Bayou is a must for us too! So many great memories assosciated with that restaurant. We loved our character breakfast so much last year at Plaza that we will for sure do that again. We also love Rainforest Cafe. This year we're doing something a little different. DH's work actually sells Disney gift cards to employees and you can have the cost deducted over a few paychecks, so we've been doing that for a few months now. I've actually budgeted out a number for just food so we'll use our gift cards for that. It also means we'll be eating exclusively in the parks for the most part, but it's such a fun way to save up. No cash to worry about and we still can save up!
I see that we like many of the same places! I would like to do the Plaza Inn character meal again but most of my party is not big on breakfast.... plus they gotta do lunch so they can have themselves some fried chicken. However, DD did say she would like to go... so you just never know! :rolleyes1
How cool to have such easy access to those Disney gift cards! I've also been making sure to give myself a vacation allowance each month with which I have been purchasing Disney gift cards. Started back in February and I am up to $850! I know I won't save any other way so this is really working out great for me too. I figure I'll just keep going and have enough for food, tickets and souvenirs and not have a balance waiting on the credit cards this time when we get back!

I can relate too. My dad passed away three years ago, and I keep thinking about how much he would love to be here to go with us and see the joy on his grandkid's faces. My dad was a big kid himself and it's tough when I think about how much fun he would have with us at DL. He will be with us in spirit though.
That's so sweet! At least you knew that he would like the park. I'm not really sure what my mom would have thought but I know I would have loved to have had her there with us. And, when I thought of my MIL I know for sure she would have never gone with us. Not sure she ever stepped foot out of the tiny town she lived in BUT I think, in my case, it was just more the idea that there was no way she could ever be there with us. :sad1: Lord help us if we run into each other and ACDSNY at DL and start talking about moms and dads! :hug:

Yay for APs! They are a great deal for those of us who manage to squeeze in two 2 week trips annually. They are an even better bargain when you live closer to the park than we do. :thumbsup2

I see that we like many of the same places! I would like to do the Plaza Inn character meal again but most of my party is not big on breakfast.... plus they gotta do lunch so they can have themselves some fried chicken. However, DD did say she would like to go... so you just never know! :rolleyes1
How cool to have such easy access to those Disney gift cards! I've also been making sure to give myself a vacation allowance each month with which I have been purchasing Disney gift cards. Started back in February and I am up to $850! I know I won't save any other way so this is really working out great for me too. I figure I'll just keep going and have enough for food, tickets and souvenirs and not have a balance waiting on the credit cards this time when we get back!

That's so sweet! At least you knew that he would like the park. I'm not really sure what my mom would have thought but I know I would have loved to have had her there with us. And, when I thought of my MIL I know for sure she would have never gone with us. Not sure she ever stepped foot out of the tiny town she lived in BUT I think, in my case, it was just more the idea that there was no way she could ever be there with us. :sad1: Lord help us if we run into each other and ACDSNY at DL and start talking about moms and dads! :hug:

Haha, yeah, that would be quite the scene for people walking past, three crying adults in the Happiest Place on Earth.

I love having the gift cards, much easier that way, and we figure if we have anything left over on them (yeah right!) we'll just use it to go towards our next trip. I also was lucky enough to win two one day park hoppers a few months ago, which I'm letting my mom take, so what she had saved to go towards a ticket can now go to food and souveniers.

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's favorite ride is (I know, hard to pick just one!) or what ride you are looking forward to going on the most. Maybe some of us will see each other in line.:yay:

My favorite ride is Pirates, without a doubt. I'm also looking forward to going on Haunted Mansion all decked out in holiday overlay. I think I'm most excited about going on some of the "bigger" rides though, since last year when we went I was pregnant with DS, and skipped out on going on lot of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter