Not our finest moment as a family..whats yours lol

The situation: early February 2010. We are about 2/3 of the way into a ten day trip, and are at Animal Kingdom. Our family - myself, DW, DD14, DS12, DS2, DS 4 months - board the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch.

DD has been truly trying all trip long - sullen, bad attitude, snappy, etc. We are tired.

As you may know, the train boarding/deboarding for Rafiki's can be pretty stressful. CMs here seem to hurry you quite a bit, etc.

We get off the train at RPW and realize that our DSLR camera ($1500 worth of equipment, PLUS all of our vacation photos) is missing. DD was in charge of the camera bag. She is sullen, unhelpful. CM are unhelpful, will not allow us to check our train car for the camera bag (and are rather rude about it).

We try to figure out what to do, DD drags her feet, continues to be unhelpful, and I. lose. it. Tear into her, give her the royal chewing out for the attitude, the lack of responsibility, and am quite ugly about it. I board the train back while the rest of the family stays at RPW.

No camera on either train. No love at lost and found. I am sick about it, decide to retrace our steps just in case.

I walk back to Island Mercantile... and the camera is there. Yay for lost camera... but worse is the fact that the lost camera is MY FAULT. I now remember taking the camera from DD to take a photo of the baby in a hat, and not giving the camera back.

Did she need an attitude adjustment? Sure, but I went way overboard AND blamed her for something that was not her fault.

So, did you ever "fess up"? ;)

This thread is great, I feel that I'm among friends. Yeas I'm the drama queen of the family and usually have some kind of meltdown at some stage due to the stress of making the vacation happen. Probably my worst moment was me and DH having words in one do the stores in main street at MK just before wishes. He likes fireworks, Im not so keen. He stormed off to watch the fireworks, I didn't know if he was coming back. There I was alone with DD sleeping in a stroller with huge tears rolling down my face in the only person in the middle of an empty store apart from CMs. One poor CM approached me to try to help I think, I couldn't really see through the tears at that point. she took one look at my blotchy, snotty, distraught face, the look of shock on that CMs face will stay with me forever, bless her she didnt know what to do. I was in the happiest place on earth. That poor CM, she had a raving looney guest distraught in front of her. she valiently asked if i was ok, I squeaked yes and ran away quickly, not my greatest hour. It all ended happily though, DH found me and we made up and left MK happily!!!!

We skipped a break one day, DH sent me to get a table inside Caseys b/c it was so hot while they met up with me. I patiently waited for about 20 min to get the table while they were shopping or riding something I can't recall exactly. Then I had to fight out the other voltures for another 10 mintues while they waited in line and got our food came to sit down then one of the kids thru a fit about wanting to watch tv on the bleachers, we said no get over it. And quit throwing a fit, fits don't get you anywhere, etc (parents out there you know the spill). At the time DS was 4 and spilled everything. One of the reasons no was I didn't want scalding cheese sauce and ketchup dumped on one of us. While I was gone to get straws DH picked up all our stuff and moved. I was beyond livid. I fumed throughout the meal and when DS inevitably spilled ketchup on the seat (at least not on him but really really close to the lady next to us) and his drink in the floor I got up glared at DH picked up my food and walked outside.

When they finished and joined me we headed to Adventureland and one of the kids whined about wanting to go back and watch more TV and he said something about having to clean up the mess by himself and that it was a was stupid to sit on those benches and watch TV and I lost it on him. We screamed at each other right in front of the ramp to Jungle Cruise. I'm sure it was site to behold. :headache: We rarely fight and have maybe only had one or two crazy loud yelling fights since we got married. It was not a good moment for either of us. I'm sure we embarrassed the heck out of the kids but I didn't care at the moment.

We have never not taken a break mid day again with the kids. We almost didn't this last week, we ironically were in Adventureland waiting on the PL parade when DH said we could just stay blah blah. I said remember the Caseys Adventureland Incident? and he quickly nixed his plan to push on thru. We took a late break that day but some break is better than none.

You know its hot, we were tired, it was summer, and we knew skipping break was a bad idea, the kids were whiny and our patience was gone, but blow ups or bad attitude moments can happen under the best of circusmstances add all those factors in and the most calm natured person can lose it. The important thing is we forgive each other and learn from our mistakes. It's just part of WDW after all. :hug:

Here is our story. I firmly believe the meltdown would have happened had we been home, at WDW or anywhere due to the circumstances.

It was our first family trip to WDW (we had been to Dland 1 1/2 years before). It was August, 2009. My DS had just turned 5 and we had been planning this trip for months. 3 weeks before we leave, I realized I never got my period. Uh-oh. Turned out I was pregnant. As I had some serious complications with my first pregnancy as well as having some health issues myself, I immediately went to my doctor. We knew this was probably not going to "stick" due to the two ultrasounds I had before we left. My doctor said to go to WDW, do whatever I wanted because at this stage, it wouldn't affect the pregnancy, and I'd have another ultrasound when I got home. So my hormones were completely out of whack between being pregnant and not knowing if I would miscarry or if the baby would be healthy. My husband was stressed because while this was not planned, we were both excited about another child, then we didn't know how it would come out.

We had a HUGE blowup in the MK, both of us were hotter than we'd ever been, breathing the 90% humidity air and our son was picking up on our tense emotions. I don't remember what it was about any more. We just were both glaring the stare of death at each other and calling the other names under our breath. We decided to go back to the hotel at that point. That afternoon I started to miscarry the baby. Once that happened, and my husband & I talked on our balcony after our son went to sleep, the rest of the trip was much better, even though I wasn't feeling great and miscarried the baby there.

We've had lots of little arguments on all our WDW trips. I think that is normal, but this was one of the worst fights my DH & I ever had in our entire marriage.

The first day of all our trips is usually a fiasco due to early flights, lack of sleep, etc. So bad that this year we are talking about making t-shirts for myself and DDs that say "It's not vacation til somebody's crying" and one for DH that says "It's not vacation til I make somebody cry". Last trip DD got a henna tattoo at Morocco the first day (8:30am flight was changed to 6:00am so we ended up having to get up at 3:30am) and bumped and smudged it 3minutes after leaving the stand. Which turned into a DH tirade about no respect and not taking care of anything blah blah blah until tears were flowing in the world showcase. This year we are taking an 11:45am flight and just going to DTD the first day. Hopefully that will work out better!

I wish I had seen this sooner. I am one of the dorks who makes everyone wear matching vacation shirts the first day and we were trying to come up with a slogan and this would have been perfect!

Here is what I have learned from this thread....

...if ANY child says "I'm gonna puke" or "I don't feel so good" or anything along those lines, I am believing the warning!!! And then give you a nice wide berth. ;)

So true! :thumbsup2

That was our last family vacay with our mom, and oddly enough that memory makes me smile every time. I guess WDW really is magical:love:

:love:

So many of the stories here are also tales of people facing adversity as a family -- generally more everyday stuff, like heat and dehydration; in some cases more serious situations, like this one or the boy with appendicitis :scared1: -- and someone losing it a bit, yet they are nearly all happy, if sometimes bittersweet, memories. At the very least, everyone who has posted is willing to laugh about it. I think that's awesome. :goodvibes

That poor CM, she had a raving looney guest distraught in front of her. she valiently asked if i was ok, I squeaked yes and ran away quickly, not my greatest hour.

So many CMs are relatively young, it's amazing they generally cope with these situations as well as they do, I think. I imagine myself when college aged trying to cope with some of this stuff -- it would not have been pretty. :p

Here is our story. I firmly believe the meltdown would have happened had we been home, at WDW or anywhere due to the circumstances.

It was our first family trip to WDW (we had been to Dland 1 1/2 years before). It was August, 2009. My DS had just turned 5 and we had been planning this trip for months. 3 weeks before we leave, I realized I never got my period. Uh-oh. Turned out I was pregnant. As I had some serious complications with my first pregnancy as well as having some health issues myself, I immediately went to my doctor. We knew this was probably not going to "stick" due to the two ultrasounds I had before we left. My doctor said to go to WDW, do whatever I wanted because at this stage, it wouldn't affect the pregnancy, and I'd have another ultrasound when I got home. So my hormones were completely out of whack between being pregnant and not knowing if I would miscarry or if the baby would be healthy. My husband was stressed because while this was not planned, we were both excited about another child, then we didn't know how it would come out.

We had a HUGE blowup in the MK, both of us were hotter than we'd ever been, breathing the 90% humidity air and our son was picking up on our tense emotions. I don't remember what it was about any more. We just were both glaring the stare of death at each other and calling the other names under our breath. We decided to go back to the hotel at that point. That afternoon I started to miscarry the baby. Once that happened, and my husband & I talked on our balcony after our son went to sleep, the rest of the trip was much better, even though I wasn't feeling great and miscarried the baby there.

We've had lots of little arguments on all our WDW trips. I think that is normal, but this was one of the worst fights my DH & I ever had in our entire marriage.

(((((Bearybear))))):love:

My meltdown happened, shockingly enough, at Epcot. We went on a big family trip with my parents, DH, me, my sis, BIL, niece, and MIL. I was in charge of planning everything and in the months leading up to the trip people kept changing everything on me. There was also a death in my DH's family right before we left that led to more last minute changes. I was already stressed by the time DH, MIL, and I arrived two days after my family.

For five days I played tour guide to this group, kept track of everything, diffused fights, encouraged breaks, and kept everything going smoothly. Finally my family all heads home on Saturday morning and DH, MIL, and I go to Epcot. For whatever reason, my MIL decides to start teasing me mercilessly, basically telling me how stupid and fake everything in World Showcase is. I know she doesn't mean it, she loves Disney, and has had a blast on all our trips together. But sometimes she just gets in a mood and wants to tease. We were standing outside of China when I lost it and started crying. All the stress had finally broken me, I stood there and sobbed for five minutes. Her and DH both started hugging me and telling me they loved me and appreciated everything I'd done.

Not my best moment, but the picture DH inadvertently snapped about a minute before I started crying is hysterical. Talk about the happiest place on earth. :lmao:

Our family has had quite a few meltdowns...I have to admit, I've had more than anyone :mad: Most of the time, it is due to being hot and tired. Also, I always have that mental picture of the perfect vacation. There is always something that goes awry and I feel let down. At any rate, the not so finest moment that I'm sharing is when DS was totally mad at us as we went to It's Tough to be a bug. He hated the show the first time we saw it and sobbed afterwards. We skipped it the following year but then wanted to see it again. DS was hesitant but he was 2 yrs older so thought it would be fine. The more he sat through the show, the madder he got. We were walking out depositing the 3D glasses when he took his glasses and broke them. I lost it and he actually looked at me and said they came that way. :confused: :mad: We were furious and it took us awhile to regroup.

That's just awful. I am sorry that happened to you at the "happiest place on earth"!
:hug:

Our worst moment had to be our last trip in 2010 when we went to both the luau and the pirates and pals cruise in the same night.

During the pre-trip planning, I asked DH and DS their opinion on doing 2 super cool new things back to back, they thought that sounded okay, I should realize they don't really listen to all my obsessive WDW planning :goodvibes anyway, the special night arrives.

First the 5pm luau, it was nice but gosh it was soooo hot that August afternoon. By the time it's finished my DH announces he's done for the day, he's hot and thinks he'll go back to the resort to relax.

:rolleyes1 um, dear, we have the pirates and pals cruise, remember? Here comes the first, "You plan too much stuff for one day" remark.

We take the monorail from Poly to CR to find where to check in for the P&P cruise. Once we find it, I suggest we explore the CR. Nope, neither wants to move, they're content to sit in the airconditioning.

Okay, how about we "move over there" and sit by the windows for a lovely view? Nope, they are content to sit in their windowless area, near the bathrooms, like 2 bats in a cave.

People start showing up & DH (I'm laughing now as I think about this) gets this facial expression, "Um, hun, isn't this for little kids?" now he's whispering "our son is FOURTEEN, don't you think he's a little too old for this?"

I'm getting aggitated now, and snort back something about this is disney and everyone here is a child.

Now DS is griping can't we get over to MK to ride some rides? DH pipes in something about your mom always has to overplan everything...BLAH BLAH BLAH, like the 2 old men in the box seats at the muppets theatre.

That's when I had my melt down and starting saying some rather unDISNEY like things to them with lots of ungrateful and unappreciative adjectives thrown in. Then I walk away to sulk and feel sorry for myself :sad2:

While I'm waiting, more happy family arrive and I start thinking about how pathetic we are acting and I get a big lump in my throat ready to cry. Shortly afterwards, they open up the guest area, Captain Hook & Mr. Snee arrive and we all silently merge and walk in together. But once we got our pictures taken and enjoyed a few snacks, they got into the theme of it a little and I settled down and we ended up having a really great time :cloud9:

ANd the best part was seeing their faces while watching Wishes from the boat - it was magicial :wizard: and made it all worth it :love:

Next trip, only one special thing at a time :lmao:

On our first trip to Disney, we made the rookie mistake of not giving the kids enough of a break. Well somewhere around Morocco and way past lunchtime, pretty much everyone had a meltdown. Kids fighting and crying, dad saying "is this what I spent 5 thousand dollars on":laughing: and me saying "omg what did we do" :rotfl: Luckily, we came upon the Tangier Cafe where we sat down, had lunch and regrouped. From that point on we learned to pace ourselves. We still refer to it as not our finest moment as a family :rotfl: We can laugh about it now lol What was your moment?

as in most of these stories at the time this was NOT funny:sad2: but I was traveling with my sister and her husband who have been happily married for over 30 years at the time:goodvibes and we were to have lunch at Hollywood and Vine with Goofy and Minnie so has been several years back...well for whatever reason:confused3 who knows they got into argument and neither was going to go in and eat IF the other one did:confused: so I am like OK but I am hungry and have reservations so I am going in so they sat outside and argued I guess as I went in and Goofy seen I was by myself and sat with me :banana:the whole meal was so funny and he even signed a cloth napkin that I have to this day:cool1: they never argue so this whole thing was out of character for them :rotfl2: we will celebrate 40 years anniversary with them this fall:cheer2:

mine was this past January, my second trip with my wife and 16 yera old daughter but it was my 6 year old son and 3.5 yr old daughter's first trip, i noticed early on in our arrival my oldest duaghter and wife were constantly on their cells one texting and the other playing words with friends, i on the other hand was pointing all the wonders and magic of disney and just watching my 2 little ones enjoying disney for the first time they both loved it and can't wait to go back, my wife never took my subtle hints or the big ones.....i blow up at her after we got home even thought of dvorcing her over her rudeness and inconsiderateness (if thats a word)....In 6 days my wife and i are returning to Disney without kids for the first time for her birthday 6/13 and our 9 year wedding anniversary and 12 years together on 6/14, she promises to leave her cell phone in the hotel where mine was on our last trip, we will see how this goes......i may soon be single and looking for a new disney mate lol.....and am planning on a huge family gathering in may 2013 i think there will be 14 of us going then...

Wow, good for you for being honest about your shortcommings. When I think of my (bad moment) in Disney, I want to cry because it was really bad.

I just turned 40 and was planning my first 11 day Disney trip to mark the special occassion and 5 days before the trip I get a call from my doctor and he wanted me to cancel the trip and get surgery done. Long-story short, I had mealanoma an aggresive form of skin cancer. This was the dermatologist that wanted me to cancel the trip and get it done ASAP. When I spoke to the surgeon, he said go and I'll have you all set up the day you come back and we can do it then, 11 days will not make a difference.

Well needless to say this was all I kept thinking on my trip and thought it would probably be my last. My daughter who was 9 at the time said she was all excited to go on Splash Mountain (and so was I) then she changed her mind. I had a complete melt down because I really wanted to ride it as a family and yelled at her in the middle of the park. She was crying and everything. When I think about this 8 years later, I want to cry myself. I wish I could take it back, but I can't.

Thank God I'm still 8 years later and my daughter is paying me back because she is 17. LOL.

this past trip (Jan 2012) first trip to Disney for my 2 youngest kids 6 and 3 and I was helping them take in all the sights and wonders my wife and 16 year old spent most of their time on their cell phones one texting her friends( the 16 year old which I could understand abit) but my wife playing words with friends her new addiction was a bit much and over the top....I gave her the silent treatment most of the trip.....but really let her have it when we got home.....considered divorcing her but I am letting herself redeem herself with our upcoming trip in 6 days we are going for our anniversary and her birthday without the kids....our cell phones will be left in the hotel room

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

mine was this past January, my second trip with my wife and 16 yera old daughter but it was my 6 year old son and 3.5 yr old daughter's first trip, i noticed early on in our arrival my oldest duaghter and wife were constantly on their cells one texting and the other playing words with friends, i on the other hand was pointing all the wonders and magic of disney and just watching my 2 little ones enjoying disney for the first time they both loved it and can't wait to go back, my wife never took my subtle hints or the big ones.....i blow up at her after we got home even thought of dvorcing her over her rudeness and inconsiderateness (if thats a word)....In 6 days my wife and i are returning to Disney without kids for the first time for her birthday 6/13 and our 9 year wedding anniversary and 12 years together on 6/14, she promises to leave her cell phone in the hotel where mine was on our last trip, we will see how this goes......i may soon be single and looking for a new disney mate lol.....and am planning on a huge family gathering in may 2013 i think there will be 14 of us going then...

Saw you posted it twice and had to comment :thumbsup2

I remembered because I felt so bad for you while reading it. Cell phones can be so annoying when people just sit on them all the time instead of doing stuff with people.

I'm glad you were able to talk to her about it and hopefully fix things. Communication is key!

WeNow DS is griping can't we get over to MK to ride some rides? DH pipes in something about your mom always has to overplan everything...BLAH BLAH BLAH, like the 2 old men in the box seats at the muppets theatre.

:lmao: :rotfl2: That totally made my day! I am sure at the time you had steam coming out your ears, but that is a hilarious comparision.

The fascinating part of this whole thread is the human psychology of what tends to set us off at a place where stress "ought" to disappear.

Obviously, the heat, the relative lack of sleep, and dehydration are major factors. But there is the whole dynamic of trying to "plan" the "perfect vacation." What is "perfect" for one person, is not necessarily "perfect" for other family members (including spouses). My guess is than there are a good number of folks who come on DisBoards and see all the great tips and ideas and all the planning and immerse themselves in coming up with a "battleplan" that would rival any military campaign. We even ask other like-minded Dis'er's to critique our plans. By the time we plan and plot and get our agendas down to the minute precision, we've invested a lot of time and energy - and let's face it - a lot of pride has gone into our efforts. Much of the fun of the whole trip has gone into planning it.

Now comes the execution day: Suddenly, other people - who have not invested the same time and energy and pride into our plans - have the uncanny knack of immediately exploiting the weaknesses in our best laid efforts. And if our plan has no weakness, we all have family members who just seem to create weaknesses for us. Sometimes the most simple obstacles can throw a plan off kilter. Add to it, the stress of wanting everything to be perfect, and you have the pot stewing for a blow-up.

And then there are kids. The younger ones, with their diaper bags and strollers and other needs create one set of obstacles. Teenagers, with their sullen attitudes, bored yawns, and cell phone texting create a whole other set of challenges.

Yep, I think I see why the "happiest place on earth" can light it up, occasionally. As my Mom used to tell me, "I'm down to my last nerve, and you're standing on it!"

I remember reading in the UG (probably 12+ years ago) it was important to take afternoon breaks. We didn't plan to do that during our first trip. We learned very quickly, this was a MUST. My kids are 16 and 12 and we still take a break every day. It is as much for the adults as well as the kids. We all turn into crazy people when we are hot and tired. I am sure we have still had our moments, but hopefully not as many as we would have!

Strollers also helped us have less meltdowns. We used up until DS was 7. It was a lifesaver!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter