Not our finest moment as a family..whats yours lol

Our first trip was last September. We did disney on the 4th of the vacation and there was a total of 7 people on this trip. When we went do MK, hubby was grumpy and decided he wanted to argue with anyone. My youngest sister was cranky and did not like my husband that day. We all took a break around 3 that day. We all went back to the room. My sister stayed at the hotel with her hubby and when we went back, everything seemed to cool off. Before the break, I was very uncomfortable with all of it...

"I don't want to go on it, I don't want to"

Well, maybe he was telling the truth, he didn't want to Go (wee) on the ride!

What a crazy, frustrating, and funny story! I can't imagine how gross it would have felt for your poor hubby to wear that wee-covered shirt all the way back to your hotel!

I'd have to say mine was the year I took my Niece age 4 or 5 to WDW for a week. WE had an ungodly early flight like 5:35a and of course K was excited to see Cindy and friends so trying to get her settled night prior was chore and than having to get up at like 2am. So we get to WDW and decide to go to AK. Things are going ok, seeing sites and all the sudden K starts asking when she can go swimming after 10th time of me telling her later, DH lost it right in middle of AK and starts SCREAMING I didn't spend 5000 for you to swim all the time!! So I start crying, DH is stil screaming and K is crying and scared because Uncle is carrying on. WE leave park to go back to resort with DH screaming entire way out about how everyone is gonna take a nap etc etc.
WE get back to resort, get to rm and K is crying to me she doesn't wanna take a nap, I'm about at wringing a neck stage so I tell her just sit on her bed watch TV, be quiet and don't bother me as I lock my self in Bathroom, and DH passes out on our bed.
After I calmed down I took her exploring around resort with her new camera and we took some cute pictures, while MR grumpy napped. Rest of trip went much better. I honestly think it was just pure Exhaustion, the Heat and a young child all wrapped into one.

K is now 12 and still talks about her trip to "have honey with Pooh" and eat in Cindy's castle.

Wow - Glad your husband is not my uncle....should have left him home...

i sincerely appreciate all your postings. I guess I was under the impression thatt we were the only ones who melted down

I was pretty young for most of my trips to Disney so I don't remember the meltdowns.... but for mine and DBF's first trip together, we did the premium package and I *thought* that it would be a good idea to do all the tours first thing in the morning, then eat like mad the rest of the day. We definitely had a blast with the parasailing, segwaying, and Signature dinners for the first part of the trip. Then, on our one day off, DBF tells me he's not up to getting up for the Wilderness Back Trail Adventure. I try to call to move it back or cancel, and the wonderful CM tells us no, and that if we skip it, we have to pay out of pocket for it. This gets me to about level 1 pissed. Then DBF drops the bomb, "I don't know why you have to plan every minute, we haven't relaxed since we got here"...This, after I asked him to go over our schedule about 100 times. I flip out, really FLIP OUT, and start sobbing, telling him i just wanted to get our money's worth and have fun and make memories together. I have a good cry, he agrees to do the Fort Wilderness Tour, and we end up having a great time.

Thank goodness this all happened in the room at the Poly. We'd listened to the screaming kids next door for 3 days, so I guess they got a little back during nap time that afternoon.

I think that the meltdown is just as memorable as the tours for us. This time I'm planning one meal a day, and a leaving a lot more time for snacks and cocktails.

For me is was 2009. We were there the week after Labor Day. It was my birthday and it was HOT. We had rented a car and parked in the lot at AK and had just missed the tram that takes you to the front gate. So we walked across that HUGE parking lot in the melting, boiling sun and my DH was just being AWFUL. I stopped, turned around with hands on hips and proclaimed in front of the entire family, "You had better stop RIGHT NOW or it's going to be a VERY long and unpleasant trip.....AND IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!"

That was the end of that. :surfweb:

We've only been to Disney World once before, our little guy had just turned
2. It was our second day there and first Magic Kingdom day. We are early birds so was up hours before the park opened, so we take a walk around the resort and go to the playground for him to play. He played for over an hour and then we decided to go catch a bus to MK to be there for opening. Well as soon as we get to MK he doesn't want to walk, this is a kid who walked nearly 3 miles at 13 months old without stopping to rest...yes, he loves walking. So DH was holding him for hours, and everytime we try to put him down to walk he would take a huge fit. Lunchtime comes around so we stop at Cosmic Rays. After we eat our little boy says he has to pee and wanted me to carry him to the bathroom. I was frustrated and told him that he had to walk, that we had carried him for hours and he was going to finish out the day walking. DH, who is the most mellow and easy going person ever kept saying he didn't mind carrying him, but no, I insisted that he should be walking. So he walked to the bathroom and went, then we left to go on more rides, he was walking and crying bloody murder for about 15 mins, finally he sits down and takes his shoes off...they were filled with little rocks from the playground. Man did I feel like the worst mother in the world at that moment.

I've always prided myself on being an easygoing mother. Growing up my own mom was a witch, it was hard to enjoy childhood since everything we did was wrong. My only happy times was when my dad was home from work (he was a traveling sale's man) and he would keep the peace between my mom and us, she wasn't abusive, just very unplesant to me and my brother. So at 2 years old I lost my temper with my son for the first time and treated my son the way my mom always treated me, and it turns out he wasn't taking a fit for the heck of it, but his little feet were hurting. Of course that made me break down crying, hugging him saying how sorry I was for making him walk. That was nearly two years ago and I still feel horrible about it. Our next Disney trip is coming up later this year and no matter what I will not lose my temper again. I don't ever want him to feel the way my mom made me feel growing up.

It's pretty funny.. I have four children ranging from 10 to 18 and the little ones are so easy going, just like me. Nothing phases us. The one that blew a gasket on our last trip, in September, was the 18 year old. He was so hot and sweaty and his feet hurt and he hates using public bathrooms for anything but pee, so well, he was uncomfortable. So, by the time we were ready to leave Epcot one evening, he just lost it and went off on me crying (yes, crying) and complaining and I was at a loss in front of all of the people pouring out of Epcot. I stayed calm and tried to talk him down, but he'd really had it. Once he finally blew off all of that steam, we made our way back to the hotel and he felt much better.

We took more breaks the following days and I tried to make sure no one got over heated, (and I promised all of them that we would never go in the summer again! LOL) but I just think it's funny that it was the OLDEST one that couldn't hang instead of the smaller ones! ;)

We've only been to Disney World once before, our little guy had just turned
2. It was our second day there and first Magic Kingdom day. We are early birds so was up hours before the park opened, so we take a walk around the resort and go to the playground for him to play. He played for over an hour and then we decided to go catch a bus to MK to be there for opening. Well as soon as we get to MK he doesn't want to walk, this is a kid who walked nearly 3 miles at 13 months old without stopping to rest...yes, he loves walking. So DH was holding him for hours, and everytime we try to put him down to walk he would take a huge fit. Lunchtime comes around so we stop at Cosmic Rays. After we eat our little boy says he has to pee and wanted me to carry him to the bathroom. I was frustrated and told him that he had to walk, that we had carried him for hours and he was going to finish out the day walking. DH, who is the most mellow and easy going person ever kept saying he didn't mind carrying him, but no, I insisted that he should be walking. So he walked to the bathroom and went, then we left to go on more rides, he was walking and crying bloody murder for about 15 mins, finally he sits down and takes his shoes off...they were filled with little rocks from the playground. Man did I feel like the worst mother in the world at that moment.

I've always prided myself on being an easygoing mother. Growing up my own mom was a witch, it was hard to enjoy childhood since everything we did was wrong. My only happy times was when my dad was home from work (he was a traveling sale's man) and he would keep the peace between my mom and us, she wasn't abusive, just very unplesant to me and my brother. So at 2 years old I lost my temper with my son for the first time and treated my son the way my mom always treated me, and it turns out he wasn't taking a fit for the heck of it, but his little feet were hurting. Of course that made me break down crying, hugging him saying how sorry I was for making him walk. That was nearly two years ago and I still feel horrible about it. Our next Disney trip is coming up later this year and no matter what I will not lose my temper again. I don't ever want him to feel the way my mom made me feel growing up.

I can't tell you how much I feel your pain on that! It's such an awful feeling, but you have to just forgive yourself and know that we ALL make mistakes... ;)

We've been so fortunate that the majority of our trips we seem to have kept our cool except for the minor inconveniences (hungry, sleepy, too hot, etc).

But the one moment that really stands out to me was when I saw how strong my almost 6 year old's backbone really was...

We had just walked into DS, rented a single stroller for the 3 year old and began touring. It was probably our 3rd day into our trip, so my kids now knew the drill. However, my 5 year old daughter had enough of all the walking while her younger sister got "chauffered" everywhere. We were right in front of the Farmer's Market fruit stand when the 5 year old started whining that she wanted a stroller too. I insisted that she was old enough to walk and that I was not going to go back to the stroller rental area and pay $14 for the double stroller, yada, yada, yada. She kept up the whining. By this time, it was a regular Mexican Standoff...my 3 year old and 8 year old were quietly watching us to see who would back down and my husband was videotaping us for posterity! I backed myself into a corner when I said in my best I'm-not-having-this-nonsense voice: "If you want to pay $14 to rent yourself a stroller, you can use your own money to do so". And without hesitation (like she already knew it was going to play out this way), she opened up her little 5 year old girlie purse and fished out her $20 Disney Dollar bill that we gave each of the kids at the beginning of our trip and proceeded to walk towards me with her money in hand. She didn't say a word more and she certainly shut me up.

But I had the last word - they didn't know it yet, though - but that was our last stroller trip. We didn't return back for another 3 years or so and even the baby was certainly old enough to walk!

We've been so fortunate that the majority of our trips we seem to have kept our cool except for the minor inconveniences (hungry, sleepy, too hot, etc).

But the one moment that really stands out to me was when I saw how strong my almost 6 year old's backbone really was...

We had just walked into DS, rented a single stroller for the 3 year old and began touring. It was probably our 3rd day into our trip, so my kids now knew the drill. However, my 5 year old daughter had enough of all the walking while her younger sister got "chauffered" everywhere. We were right in front of the Farmer's Market fruit stand when the 5 year old started whining that she wanted a stroller too. I insisted that she was old enough to walk and that I was not going to go back to the stroller rental area and pay $14 for the double stroller, yada, yada, yada. She kept up the whining. By this time, it was a regular Mexican Standoff...my 3 year old and 8 year old were quietly watching us to see who would back down and my husband was videotaping us for posterity! I backed myself into a corner when I said in my best I'm-not-having-this-nonsense voice: "If you want to pay $14 to rent yourself a stroller, you can use your own money to do so". And without hesitation (like she already knew it was going to play out this way), she opened up her little 5 year old girlie purse and fished out her $20 Disney Dollar bill that we gave each of the kids at the beginning of our trip and proceeded to walk towards me with her money in hand. She didn't say a word more and she certainly shut me up.

But I had the last word - they didn't know it yet, though - but that was our last stroller trip. We didn't return back for another 3 years or so and even the baby was certainly old enough to walk!

That was a funny story. Aren't kids so wicked-smart! You didn't say whether you got the double stroller. I presume you did.

I can't tell you how much I feel your pain on that! It's such an awful feeling, but you have to just forgive yourself and know that we ALL make mistakes... ;)

Aww thanks! If only our kids knew how many parenting mistakes we make and how imperfect we really are. They have no idea that we're learning as we go :lmao:

That was a funny story. Aren't kids so wicked-smart! You didn't say whether you got the double stroller. I presume you did.

Yeah..., but I made my husband (who thought the whole scene between strong-willed daughter and mother was hilarious) go with her all the way to the front of the park to get it.

To this day, my almost 16 year old will pull out her own money for the things she wants, but knows we aren't gonna pay for. She doesn't even try whining for it first:)

You all are making me laugh hard enough to cry. Glad to know I'm not the only one with these sorts of "memories!"

My worst was the trip my family took when I was 20. The main tension was that my mom wanted us to all be together and was still convinced I was 12 and would be graped and murdered if out of her sight. I, on the other hand, had just flown in from college and was reveling in the autonomy and freedom of life on my own. And, perhaps, a little too invested in my image of myself as a vagabond traveler ... Immovable rock, meet unstoppable force. It hit a boiling point on day 3, Discovery Island. After what, in my mind, was two days of being drug around like a toddler with all my wishes utterly ignored (I strongly suspect my mother has a different perspective) I announced out of the blue I was going to Disney Quest. And taking my younger sister with me. Mom freaks out because we're messing with The Plan (DQ was scheduled for 2 hours on day 5) and we were going off on our own without a responsible adult (which, in retrospect, was probably true) and she would NEVER SEE US AGAIN after we were abducted and, and, and...

I, on my side of the rink, was having a melt down worthy of a well-practiced toddler because OMG I'm 20 and living on my own and being chained to my terrible family (you know, the ones who paid for me to go to WDW and who I only saw on breaks) and, and, and ...

My little sister was, of all of us, the one adult. She walked over to a cart, bought two frozen bananas, unwrapped each, and calmly stuck one in my mouth and one in mom's. We both took a moment, walked to opposite sides of the street, and then came back and talked about it like reasonable human beings.

Unfortunately my mom got the last laugh. She let Sis and I go to DQ but we learned that day that there are NO busses from parks to DTD and we learned that quite emphatically. We never did get there ...

\But there is the whole dynamic of trying to "plan" the "perfect vacation." What is "perfect" for one person, is not necessarily "perfect" for other family members (including spouses). My guess is than there are a good number of folks who come on DisBoards and see all the great tips and ideas and all the planning and immerse themselves in coming up with a "battleplan" that would rival any military campaign. We even ask other like-minded Dis'er's to critique our plans. By the time we plan and plot and get our agendas down to the minute precision, we've invested a lot of time and energy - and let's face it - a lot of pride has gone into our efforts. Much of the fun of the whole trip has gone into planning it.

Now comes the execution day: Suddenly, other people - who have not invested the same time and energy and pride into our plans - have the uncanny knack of immediately exploiting the weaknesses in our best laid efforts. And if our plan has no weakness, we all have family members who just seem to create weaknesses for us. Sometimes the most simple obstacles can throw a plan off kilter. Add to it, the stress of wanting everything to be perfect, and you have the pot stewing for a blow-up.

You have just perfectly summarized almost every single meltdown my family has ever had! The one exception was my then-2yo DSis who just hit sensory overload and cried until it went away. Every other one involved the Planner vs. the masses (us) who, despite being consulted before hand, would suddenly decide that right then was the perfect time to hop to another park or not go to that show or whatever. Fortunately our resident planner (my mom) has hit the point where she'll just plan one TS meal a day and let the rest of us do as we will. Unfortunately, in absence of a plan (you know, the one I'd always deviate from), I've turned into quite the commando myself. Poor DH has just come to the conclusion that I'll crash hard on day 3 and melt down if not quarantined.

One of my not so great moments happened the first time we took our DS (9 at the time) to Disney. We were in line to go on Alien Encounter & he didn't want to go on it because he was scared. I told him, come on, it can't be bad, this is Magic Kingdom, & we went in. Well, if you remember what AE was like, it was scary (for little ones) and loud (which DS hates loud noises) and a horrible experience. He was crying & because they strap you down like you were on a roller coaster, we couldn't get out. I felt so bad. So needless to say when we departed into the gift shop, he was allowed to buy anything & as much as he wanted.:rotfl: I still feel bad about that.

It's always so nice to find out that there are other humans around. :)

We've been to Disneyland many times, have had two LONG trips to WDW, and 3 visits to Universal (where we don't actually melt down, or don't melt down as much, interestingly). We have had LOTS of practice in flipping out on each other in turns.

We've learned that most of the freakouts have to do with FOOD.

Wrong food. (we learned that DS and DH cannot have corn syrup, HFCS, or corn syrup solids, thanks to our various Disney trips and watching their reactions and finding out ingredients...hubby gets ANGRY then passes out...DS gets violent and runs in circles then falls asleep hard)

NO food. (they both get really wonky without food, and the worst is that if asked about hunger during that time they will say "NO WE ARE NOT HUNGRY" so I have started telling them to be quiet until they eat something and letting them be)

For me, I can't generally have a beer in the middle of the day. (I get cranky!) Or a mixed drink (had one at Tusker House and got super-cranky). I do just fine, however, at Epcot with my souvenir mug beers and my Grand Marnier slushies (different days, or hours later, not together)

WATER. (we must have access to water at all times)

Not enough sleep. (that gets all of us)

Plans changing. (that's a problem for me. I don't like surprises and I don't like plans changing unless I'm totally behind the change)

You can see that there are opportunities during which *sometimes* all of those things combine. Yikes.

Oh, and the noise! That gets to my son, revs him up so it's hard to be reasonable. And it starts to bore into my skull, making it hard for me to think properly. Realized this problem in Tomorrowland at Disneyland, and it went together with the sudden realization (while wondering why DS was flipping out over a souvenir and why DH was having a tantrum right back at him) that we hadn't eaten for almost 9 hours. Whoops.

Someday we'll get it right! Like I said, we seem to do well at Universal, but it's just so relaxed there when you're staying onsite, and we take at least 4 days to do it, and we have a few places for our fave food that we actually think about while we're there, AND we stay hydrated while there...so that's probably why.

Maybe you should market those shirts, I bet you could sell a ton! :rotfl:

I bet she could! If she doesn't want money, she could offer up the design on the DIS-igns board!!!

The person in our family that usually has a meltdown is me. :guilty: I have a thing about dirty faces.....Still gets my blood boiling just thinking about it. :mad:

Offer to lick his face clean. Hopefully it'll gross him out so much that he'll just clean it himself.

We had our family moment at Epcot. What is it about that park that brings out the best in families? :rotfl:

It's huge! It should be two separate, smaller, parks. Just when you think you're done, there's that whole OTHER section to do!

We usually try to get our 'blow up' moments out of the way while we are packing for the trip.

Probably a good idea. :)

....He's usually pretty laid back, but for some reason restaurant prices start making him psycho after a couple of days, and he will randomly blow right before we order. :sad2: Something about the combination of five hungry kids and one hungry husband just isn't good. ;) Add in Disney prices and things are likely to get ugly.

Gift cards instead of credit cards. Shows that the money is already totally budgeted, planned for, that you KNOW the prices, KNOW what your family wants to eat, and you've got this. Feed (and water) them early and often. Carry protein-filled snacks, and budget in for apples and pineapple and other tasty, fresh treats!

You've got the food thing down in all ways, and hopefully he'll stop thinking about it. Oh, and no matter how you pay, perhaps you should be the one to pay the check, every time!

Lesson learned though do my own research before we go on vacation because if I trust DH I'll spend all day surrounded by rides and never even know they are there. :rolleyes1

:rotfl:

We had a HUGE argument during our honeymoon, too. After that it was like "well, that's done with, let's move on", LOL.

Then, of course, I have to hear my husband's, "I told you so. You always plan too much. You always think we can do everything." Aye.

:hug:

I'm wondering why Disney doesn't film some of these moments for their commercials. Can you imagine? The OneRepublic song playing in the background, shot of the castle and princesses with children running, and then a couple screaming at each other, kids having tantrums, and the words: "For the TRUE Disney experience" float across the screen :lmao:. Doesn't really have the same punch as the current ads, I guess. :rotfl:

I think it would be awesome! See, I don't find it surprising that meltdowns happen, and I don't buy into the happiest place nonsense. Sure it's awesome, but put that much pressure on people, combined with heat and rain and humidity (and big temperature changes at Disneyland as soon as the sun goes down) and MONEY and all of that, and it's going to happen!

I think a few "real" ads would actually help. :)

Unlike many of you, we don't confine ourselves to just one meltdown during a trip. No, we have many of them, big and small.

:thumbsup2

....but really let her have it when we got home.....considered divorcing her but I am letting herself redeem herself with our upcoming trip in 6 days we are going for our anniversary and her birthday without the kids....our cell phones will be left in the hotel room...

I first thought "why don't you put MORE pressure on this trip?". Then I saw.

...my wife never took my subtle hints or the big ones.....i blow up at her after we got home even thought of dvorcing her over her rudeness and inconsiderateness (if thats a word)....In 6 days my wife and i are returning to Disney without kids for the first time for her birthday 6/13 and our 9 year wedding anniversary and 12 years together on 6/14...

And I realized that circumstances already HAVE put a HUGE amount of pressure on it!

I really hope that you're joking about divorce over this. Or if you're not, I hope that there's much more going on, and it's not about just this. Instead of hinting, just say something, BEFORE you bother to get angry with it.

(my husband-then-fiance pulled a secret-to-him "if things go better on THIS trip, then I'll stick around" thing on me, and he's *lucky* I stuck around while he got his head together and stopped overreacting to things he should have just talked to me about, so your posts have struck a serious nerve with me!)

By the way, I do get that playing a game on a phone can be annoying, when you're trying to have family bonding time. On the other hand, is it possible that *she* was annoyed at something, and was trying to be with the family but also be a little separate? If you've read through the posts, you'll see that a LOT of people need to separate for a bit, either by leaving, or sitting on a bench, etc, when annoyed. Get some space to get their heads together. Is it possible that something like that was going on?

Or maybe she's just addicted to that game like Alec Baldwin, LOL, and needs to work on that. :)

We decided to head to Toon town one mid-afternoon. It was very crowded and nothing much took our fancy but we decided to go to Mickey's house to meet him. The line did not look bad from the outside but after being in a while we realised we had made a big mistake! The line seemed to wind on forever......I'm sure it would have been fine if it had not been such a busy time but we won't be taking any chances!!

In case anyone ever convinces you to go back, might I suggest going at the beginning of the day? Or get a Disneyland *package* deal that includes ToonTown Morning Madness that gets you in an hour before TT opens to the public.

It's also good to realize that Mickey's house IS a line. It's a line with stuff in it, and that's hard to see when it's packed to the rafters, but there are things to look at and climb on and pose with, to make it seem not as much like a line, LOL. It's a line all leading to the meet/greet.

Just in case anyone ever convinces you to go again.

You know where this is headed... DD had a meltdown... screaming and crying from pure exhaustion... thank goodness we were the only ones on the bus that night because I ended up whipping out my breast and nursing right there.

Yay that she got her milky goodness right then and there. :love:

Having taken three toddlers, I've had my share of meltdowns. Our most recent stupid moment came, however, when we toured AK without a stroller or carrier for DS22 mos. He did a bit of walking, but of course he was carried 95% of the time. Talk about parental exhaustion!

OH goodness! Yes you must bring the Ergo, at the very least, with someone that age.

After he apologized for not listening to me in the first place and I stopped being a baby, we ended up having a great day in Orlando, getting boba tea, and looking around a comic book shop before heading home early and napping before he had to go to work. :)

Where did you get the boba tea in Orlando? Do tell!

....finally he sits down and takes his shoes off...they were filled with little rocks from the playground. Man did I feel like the worst mother in the world at that moment.

Our next Disney trip is coming up later this year and no matter what I will not lose my temper again. I don't ever want him to feel the way my mom made me feel growing up.

I doubt if there is one parent EVER who hasn't missed a big huge clue from our kids that they aren't *just* randomly whining, who hasn't later realized that they were, indeed, trying to tell us something important. Don't beat yourself up over it. And remember, DH missed it, too.

Hey...I think it's OK for kids to see us not be perfect. You had a mother who NEVER treated you with kindness, it seems. So you don't realize that all parents mess up, all parents lose it sometimes. It's a normal thing, something that helps children figure out what's right and what's not, to lose a temper every so often. And if you were wrong, you admit it. And that helps them, too.

Semi-related...from when I was 7ish to 17 my mom was dating/living with/married to this man. They didn't have the best relationship, but they hid their problems from us. I remember *one* fight they had, and it was had because, apparently, I'd walked in while he was making a present for me. (it was actually about much, much more, of course). He left for a year. Came back, they married. Then they were just having problems, but none they ever showed us. After my HS graduation, he filed for divorce and just left.

Turns out they were fighting ALL the time, for years. Never showed it. But I got to know the underlying tension, and thought that was NORMAL. So as I went into adulthood, for several years it was like I was trying to find that tension again. Dated totally inappropriate guys that I could fight with then make up with, and fight again, so that tension I'd grown up with and felt comfortable with was always there.

I finally had counseling and realized that it wasn't normal, and that my mom had done me NO favors by hiding it all, because I'd thought everything was fine, and that the household tension was normal and something I should find.

If you do get annoyed at DS, and I'm sure you will (we are all human, and so is he!), and HIDE that, he'll feel the feelings of the annoyance, but see your smiling face telling him it's all fine, and that won't be good for him, either. Maybe not as bad as your mom was, but still....showing appropriate emotions in appropriate ways is a really good life lesson to have under your belt. I encourage you to lighten up on yourself and just try to be as human as we all are. :hug:

My worst was the trip my family took when I was 20. The main tension was that my mom wanted us to all be together and was still convinced I was 12 and would be graped and murdered if out of her sight. I, on the other hand, had just flown in from college and was reveling in the autonomy and freedom of life on my own. And, perhaps, a little too invested in my image of myself as a vagabond traveler ... Immovable rock, meet unstoppable force. It hit a boiling point on day 3, Discovery Island. After what, in my mind, was two days of being drug around like a toddler with all my wishes utterly ignored (I strongly suspect my mother has a different perspective) I announced out of the blue I was going to Disney Quest. And taking my younger sister with me. Mom freaks out because we're messing with The Plan (DQ was scheduled for 2 hours on day 5) and we were going off on our own without a responsible adult (which, in retrospect, was probably true) and she would NEVER SEE US AGAIN after we were abducted and, and, and...

I, on my side of the rink, was having a melt down worthy of a well-practiced toddler because OMG I'm 20 and living on my own and being chained to my terrible family (you know, the ones who paid for me to go to WDW and who I only saw on breaks) and, and, and ...

My little sister was, of all of us, the one adult. She walked over to a cart, bought two frozen bananas, unwrapped each, and calmly stuck one in my mouth and one in mom's. We both took a moment, walked to opposite sides of the street, and then came back and talked about it like reasonable human beings.

Unfortunately my mom got the last laugh. She let Sis and I go to DQ but we learned that day that there are NO busses from parks to DTD and we learned that quite emphatically. We never did get there ...

Best story! Best way of telling the story, too! Awesome!

.....My little sister was, of all of us, the one adult. She walked over to a cart, bought two frozen bananas, unwrapped each, and calmly stuck one in my mouth and one in mom's.....

:rotfl: Oh this tickled me to read :lmao: It's like your sister bought you and your mom adult sized pacifiers :laughing: Glad they worked :upsidedow

That was nearly two years ago and I still feel horrible about it. Our next Disney trip is coming up later this year and no matter what I will not lose my temper again. I don't ever want him to feel the way my mom made me feel growing up.

:hug:

If your overall relationship is good, and especially since you apologized, likely there's no lasting harm. There's a big difference between a parent who makes the occasional mistake and the parent who regularly discounts the child's feelings and needs.

the worst is that if asked about hunger during that time they will say "NO WE ARE NOT HUNGRY" so I have started telling them to be quiet until they eat something and letting them be)

My middle daughter is like this. Once her dad and I figured out what was going on, she'd come home from ballet and be absolutely impossible (she's normally pretty easy going), and her dad would start shouting back at her, "Eat something! Will you shut up and eat something! Just eat something!" Then she'd shout back, "I am not hungry, I'm MAD!" and they'd overlap shout for a while. It was fun. :rolleyes: Once she got something in her, of course, she'd realize that whatever had set her off was not such a big deal, after all, and do this sheepish, "nevermind." :rolleyes1

Since it happened pretty regularly for a while, she has learned to, one, make sure she eats well when she's really active, and, two, to actually eat something before yelling back at her dad. :teeth:

Gift cards instead of credit cards. Shows that the money is already totally budgeted, planned for, that you KNOW the prices, KNOW what your family wants to eat, and you've got this.

Yah, this is the route I'm planning to go at Disney. Hadn't thought of doing it outside the parks, but, now you bring it up, it's totally doable. :thumbsup2

I'm loving all these stories! It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who's had a mini meltdown in the parks before. I can't remember what our fight was about last year, I just remember my boyfriend saying "Only YOU can get mad at Disney World." Can't wait to show him this thread. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter