No more lotion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said, I'm not upset about it and I do bring my own in addition to the ones provided but I travel frequently and there is no other hotel for hundreds of dollars a night that does not provide lotion. I think we're just surprised and discussing it. That is very different than being upset. I can discuss things that I think should be done differently without being "so upset".

Disney missed big on their Q3 earnings https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rofit-estimates-as-parks-slump-fox-film-flops note that although domestic park attendance was down 3%, per capita guest spending was up 10% - I expect having to buy your own toiletries at WDW will add to the other increases in guest costs we have seen and will see, ticket prices, food and beverage (along with a decline in quality,) extra room charges - parking fees currently but can ‘resort fees’ be far behind, up-charge cupcake parties, etc.. They’ll do whatever it takes to reduce costs (removing toiletries, cheaper products, lower staffing, etc.) and increase guest spending to make Q4 earnings look better than the Q3 debacle.

It all makes sense.

Let's do Disney cheapskate math:

Big old box of salty 1oz lotion tubes (200 tubes) = $120
WDW has about 30,000 rooms, so housekeeping uses 150 boxes of lotion a day
Keeping WDW moisturized costs $18,000/day
$6.6 MIL a year

Parks is definitely taking away our lotion to fix their earnings problem.

Looky, looky - H2O+ stuff on clearance - https://www.americanhotel.com/ameni...nce:manufacturerName:H2O%2B&text=&pageSize=24

And the H2O+ main website is missing some product lines and package discounts - https://www.h2oplus.com/

Perhaps there's trouble in personal care land.....

This makes me so sad. Yes, I'm one of those people who takes all the sample size toiletries home with me. But you know why? I volunteer for the Ronald McDonald House, for the parents of children in the hospital, and when we have parents come in to take a shower (3-4 a day) and I give them sample size Disney lotion, shampoo, etc. they often smile for the first time in a while. Who knows, maybe that free advertising of Disney encourages them to take the family to WDW when all is well again. It saddens me that I can no longer bring that Disney smile to their faces and WDW has lost that advertising.

Has anyone asked for lotion at the front desk? Industry standard is to offer complimentary items if a guest forgets to pack, runs out or has an issue with missing luggage. Items customarily available include toothbrush, toothpaste, razor and shaving cream. Additional items can include a comb and sometimes even contact lens solution. I had forgotten to replace a discarded toothbrush in my travel kit. Aventura hotel at Universal was happy to give me a complimentary toothbrush. They also had the other items I mentioned. Just had to ask. Items were also available for purchase in the gift shop. Even hotels like Four Points offer complimentary items, just have to ask.

I have no problem if lotion is put in that category, not placed in the rooms but available on request.

Industry standard is to get rid of the tiny, environmental unfriendly, bottle of shampoo in favor of bulk dispensors.

Has anyone asked for lotion at the front desk? Industry standard is to offer complimentary items if a guest forgets to pack, runs out or has an issue with missing luggage. Items customarily available include toothbrush, toothpaste, razor and shaving cream. Additional items can include a comb and sometimes even contact lens solution. I had forgotten to replace a discarded toothbrush in my travel kit. Aventura hotel at Universal was happy to give me a complimentary toothbrush. They also had the other items I mentioned. Just had to ask. Items were also available for purchase in the gift shop. Even hotels like Four Points offer complimentary items, just have to ask.

I have no problem if lotion is put in that category, not placed in the rooms but available on request.

Industry standard is to get rid of the tiny, environmental unfriendly, bottle of shampoo in favor of bulk dispensors.

I would have no issue lotion were available upon request, or put in bulk dispensers. That doesn't seem like what is happening here though since several people have said that they contacted housekeeping and were not successful, but you could be right. My husband once forgot his deodorant on a Disneyland trip staying at the Howard Johnson, we were talking about it and asked the front desk if they had a shop that stocked it, he said they did but took us in the back luggage storage area and opened up a brand new package of small travel sized old spice deodorants and gave us one, we were so appreciative!

I would have no issue lotion were available upon request, or put in bulk dispensers. That doesn't seem like what is happening here though since several people have said that they contacted housekeeping and were not successful, but you could be right. My husband once forgot his deodorant on a Disneyland trip staying at the Howard Johnson, we were talking about it and asked the front desk if they had a shop that stocked it, he said they did but took us in the back luggage storage area and opened up a brand new package of small travel sized old spice deodorants and gave us one, we were so appreciative!
Housekeeping doesn't typically offer the extra complimentary, upon request toiletries. The front desk generally takes care of it. I'll try to remember to ask what complimentary items, if any, are available. Industry standard is to offer many such items.

No idea why the change. As I said I'm just surprised that so many people relied on those teeny bottles being provided.

Well, they do keep bringing more if you use them up! I like not having to pack my big bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

(I won't actually miss the lotion, though, as I do bring a travel size of my own favorite.)

I loved the little bottles of lotion and shampoo with the Mickey Ears they used to have years ago!

I did too! If we had an extra, I used to bring it home to use some random day and remind me of vacation.

I don't like the Sea themed ones much at all.

I don't believe it has as much to do with the lotion, but just that's it's one more thing that disney has decided the guest no longer needs.

I still want lids on my soda, if I knew the exact size of disney cups, I would bring my own.

We took these ones. And they did fit.

This makes me so sad. Yes, I'm one of those people who takes all the sample size toiletries home with me. But you know why? I volunteer for the Ronald McDonald House, for the parents of children in the hospital, and when we have parents come in to take a shower (3-4 a day) and I give them sample size Disney lotion, shampoo, etc. they often smile for the first time in a while. Who knows, maybe that free advertising of Disney encourages them to take the family to WDW when all is well again. It saddens me that I can no longer bring that Disney smile to their faces and WDW has lost that advertising.

I admit I'm already in a mushy mood today, but this made me tear right up. Bless you for doing that!

I hope someone at Disney World (other than an accountant) thought through the elimination of this small item.

Admittedly it's been some time since I've seen them, but the bathroom requirements to be a AAA Four-Diamond hotel is a five-piece amenity package of above-average quality. Five pieces means shampoo, conditioner, shower bodywash/soap, bar soap for sink, and hand/body lotion.

Not having a required item doesn't mean you instantly lose the Four-Diamond rating. It's a points-based system. Not having lotion means you'd need to make up those points in other areas.

-----

Perhaps more important than AAA ratings is the thoughts of professional meeting planners. As someone who spent decades working in hotels, I can say that it's a fact that lotion is an industry standard. It's a basic amenity.

Since it's so basic, a meeting planner will expect Disney to provide it. A business traveler attending a convention or event at a Disney Resort will expect it.

Again, eliminating a small amenity like lotion won't make a meeting planner choose to host their event at Walt Disney World Dolphin over Disney's Yacht Club Resort (just examples). But, once you start adding up all the little things, they start to make a difference.

For those unfamiliar, the meeting/convention market in Orlando is massive. A the budget for a large four-day convention group can easily approach six figures. Risking that sort of revenue seems penny wise and pound foolish to me.

Disney isn't that stupid. I'll conclude lotion is no longer a required amenity. The assumed requirement is one reason why I thought lotion would be required on request.

I run a business, and if you do not cut cost where it can be cut the business will not be yours very long.

I used to work at Disney World. Based on some of the things I saw, I am confident in saying that leadership there does make stupid decisions on occasion.

To bad your not running the place so there would be no stupid decisions made anymore.

Thank you.

I can't see to find any doing a amazon search. Solo is a more popular brand. I'll hunt some more.

If you’re looking on Amazon, look up “Sweetheart 16oz.” The title of the first thing that comes up says Solo, but if you look at the actual picture of the lid it says Sweetheart. It’s around $50 for a case of 2000. I split a case with a couple of friends not too long ago when we heard they were getting rid of lids, and we all knew we had upcoming trips with little kids. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter