• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No kids why do you stay with Disney?

My “kids” are adults 20 & 22 yrs old now. That said, I’ve sailed without them probably more than with. :D Why? Nostalgia. I’ll just be honest. It took Disney to even get me to try a cruise. I’ve sailed 22 cruises across 3 cruise lines in the past 6.5 years, 16 of those with Disney. I enjoy them all, I’m not one of those who will only do Disney or only like Disney. I won’t sit here and sing about how Disney is so much better than other lines. Others are different but, in my experience, not necessarily better. We come back to Disney and do Disney regardless of our kid-status because of nostalgia plain & simple. I was raised a Disney kid. My kids are Disney kids. I converted my husband to a Disney-phile. We come back because it’s emotionally comfortable and nostalgic. That’s it. When I sail Disney it’s for the ship more than it is the destination. For port-heavy itineraries I don’t think I’d spend the Disney premium. But if I’m going to be on the ship a lot like Panama Canal, yeah, Disney for that emotional comfort-level.

The only thing in my experiences that I’ll sit here and tell you without a shadow of a doubt, if you’re making choices with the private island destinations being a heavy weight in the decision....Disney. DISNEY. I’ve been to 2 other private island destinations. Both I found myself looking around thinking, “Now I know what’s that Disney premium really gets me.” :magnify:

The only thing in my experiences that I’ll sit here and tell you without a shadow of a doubt, if you’re making choices with the private island destinations being a heavy weight in the decision....Disney. DISNEY. I’ve been to 2 other private island destinations. Both I found myself looking around thinking, “Now I know what’s that Disney premium really gets me.” :magnify:

Just out of curiosity, what specifically were the differences? I think Castaway Cay is a true paradise and can't imagine another cruise line topping it. I am curious as to how the whole "you get what you pay for" adage rings true for this example specifically.

Thanks. O/T, but adoption isn't an option for us in Australia because there are only around 5 local, unknown adoptions in our State each year and none of the countries which Australia has entered into an intercountry adoption program with permit same-sex couples to adopt.
So sorry for the discrimination against same sex couples. It did not even cross my mind that that would be an issue! We have an open adoption and the state of Oregon has very good laws to protect the rights of ALL adopting families. We were second runner up to a birth mom who chose a same sex couple a few months before we got our daughter. I hope laws can change for you.

Just out of curiosity, what specifically were the differences? I think Castaway Cay is a true paradise and can't imagine another cruise line topping it. I am curious as to how the whole "you get what you pay for" adage rings true for this example specifically.
It’s really hard to put to words without it sounding kinda harsh. I swear I’m not a snooty human. I swear! Like the beach chairs are pvc and they don’t have all the umbrellas. Some beaches are really rocky and pebble-y so you literally have to have water shoes. I’m no tender-foot and I could not. They don’t always have paved pathways. Sodas at the food/drink places (if you have a package or pay) are poured from 2-liters. Kinda flat. The food is okay. Plastic cutlery. The structures are more primitive. Not much is decorative, certainly not themed. The “trams” are a tractor that pulls a couple cars behind. Everything is just way more.....basic (for lack of a better word). And I know that sounds so bad. It’s just all the little differences that add up. I don’t see the margin of overall difference on the other lines’ ships I’ve been on to be so pronounced overall. But the private islands, yes, I do. I’m probably more critical on the beaches/islands because typically I’m not really a beach person. For Castaway, I AM a beach person. Does that make sense? I do hate trying to verbalize it because I feel it comes off pretentious. I don’t go on other line s looking to make comparisons, etc. I’ve really, really enjoyed RCI’s Allure, Anthem, & Harmony of the Seas. Loved NCL’s Getaway & Escape. But Coco Cay & Labadee would definitely be improvised “sea days” for me in the future. I wouldn’t not take a cruise because of them. If you’ve never been I think you should venture out just so you know from your experience what the differences are. But if I was looking for a cruise to take me to an amazing private island getaway...Castaway is where it’s at.

It’s really hard to put to words without it sounding kinda harsh. I swear I’m not a snooty human. I swear! Like the beach chairs are pvc and they don’t have all the umbrellas. Some beaches are really rocky and pebble-y so you literally have to have water shoes. I’m no tender-foot and I could not. They don’t always have paved pathways. Sodas at the food/drink places (if you have a package or pay) are poured from 2-liters. Kinda flat. The food is okay. Plastic cutlery. The structures are more primitive. Not much is decorative, certainly not themed. The “trams” are a tractor that pulls a couple cars behind. Everything is just way more.....basic (for lack of a better word). And I know that sounds so bad. It’s just all the little differences that add up. I don’t see the margin of overall difference on the other lines’ ships I’ve been on to be so pronounced overall. But the private islands, yes, I do. I’m probably more critical on the beaches/islands because typically I’m not really a beach person. For Castaway, I AM a beach person. Does that make sense? I do hate trying to verbalize it because I feel it comes off pretentious. I don’t go on other line s looking to make comparisons, etc. I’ve really, really enjoyed RCI’s Allure, Anthem, & Harmony of the Seas. Loved NCL’s Getaway & Escape. But Coco Cay & Labadee would definitely be improvised “sea days” for me in the future. I wouldn’t not take a cruise because of them. If you’ve never been I think you should venture out just so you know from your experience what the differences are. But if I was looking for a cruise to take me to an amazing private island getaway...Castaway is where it’s at.

I haven't been to any other private islands, but I did go to Amber Cove - near Puerta Plata in the DR, the area developed by Carnival Corp for their ships (including all under their umbrella)- last year, and I literally laughed out loud at their "cabanas" which, while yes they have some over the water, some at the pool, and some on the hillside, had what appeared to be LAWN FURNITURE (as in the aluminum frame and woven cheap material backing and seat - so not even PVC) in them. Not the nice teak things at the Castaway Cabanas. Amber Cove has no beach - just a pool, so if you're like me and not into pools, you're stuck doing an excursion to a beach club. All the food there was for sale. Ditto all the drinks. I was definitely glad our itinerary on fathom got changed so we only had one overnight there - and that I decided not to waste my money on a "cabana" which I was going to do if we had been on the original all DR itinerary rather than the hybrid Cuba/DR.

I completely understand! There was a thread on here a while back asking if people if they didn't cruise with DCL, what other lines would they cruise with. I ended up being "yelled" at because I said that I feel that no other cruise lines compare to DCL and some folks on there harshly disagreed. One even said that Carnival was better?!?!? That has to be an out and out lie! Carnival is the last cruise line that should/could be compared or perceived better than Disney. I have not been to any other private island, but I can imagine and based upon yours and others stories of them, that they pale in comparison to Castaway. I, like you, am not a snobby person by any means, but I know quality when I see it and IMHO, DCL gives me and my family a true experience that is well worth the money. Yes, we have to save and can't cruise as often as we would like, but I would rather cruise ever 2 years and have an amazing trip/experience/adventure than cruise more often with just the basic experiences, just for the sake of being on a ship.

I completely understand! There was a thread on here a while back asking if people if they didn't cruise with DCL, what other lines would they cruise with. I ended up being "yelled" at because I said that I feel that no other cruise lines compare to DCL and some folks on there harshly disagreed. One even said that Carnival was better?!?!? That has to be an out and out lie! Carnival is the last cruise line that should/could be compared or perceived better than Disney. I have not been to any other private island, but I can imagine and based upon yours and others stories of them, that they pale in comparison to Castaway. I, like you, am not a snobby person by any means, but I know quality when I see it and IMHO, DCL gives me and my family a true experience that is well worth the money. Yes, we have to save and can't cruise as often as we would like, but I would rather cruise ever 2 years and have an amazing trip/experience/adventure than cruise more often with just the basic experiences, just for the sake of being on a ship.
Don’t get me wrong. I’ve sailed newer ships with RCI & NCL, all of which I’d put on par or better than Disney’s. Service. Food. Variety. Even entertainment. On par or better. Worst service on any cruise I’ve had....was a Disney Cruise. Disney does some things better but not all things. There’s some things others do better. Disney, to me, for the most part you’re buy8ng the branding, theming, and “Disney” experiences. Food Disney is not my favorite by far. I’m not a rotational dining fan so much either. Service is all about the same to me with few major differences. Some of my most favorite shows I’ve seen on a ship...not Disney. It’s crazy, I know. I’d actually love to try the newest offerings from Carnival because they’re coming out with very interesting things. But, yeah, it’s hard to compare Disney to other lines because so much of a Disney Cruise is their own thing. The private islands are the only aspect that I’d say hands-down is a landslide win for the mouse. Sooooo much has been put into developing Castaway. So very much even for how simple it kinda appears. Other than that, other lines do have a lot to offer. I try to stick with newer vessel so because that seems to be where other lines put their best foot forward.

I haven't been to any other private islands, but I did go to Amber Cove - near Puerta Plata in the DR, the area developed by Carnival Corp for their ships (including all under their umbrella)- last year, and I literally laughed out loud at their "cabanas" which, while yes they have some over the water, some at the pool, and some on the hillside, had what appeared to be LAWN FURNITURE (as in the aluminum frame and woven cheap material backing and seat - so not even PVC) in them. Not the nice teak things at the Castaway Cabanas. Amber Cove has no beach - just a pool, so if you're like me and not into pools, you're stuck doing an excursion to a beach club. All the food there was for sale. Ditto all the drinks. I was definitely glad our itinerary on fathom got changed so we only had one overnight there - and that I decided not to waste my money on a "cabana" which I was going to do if we had been on the original all DR itinerary rather than the hybrid Cuba/DR.
I hear ya. I do love to sail with other lines. I try to stick with newer ships. Dang, that VOOM Internet on Royal has me straight up RUINED when I go back to Disney. Ugh! Just like the private island comparison. Disney has me completely RUINED going to others. Yeah, I try not to snicker too much at the cabanas and such. I look at the prices and think “Disney isn’t so bad after all” on those cabanas. LOL!

I hear ya. I do love to sail with other lines. I try to stick with newer ships. Dang, that VOOM Internet on Royal has me straight up RUINED when I go back to Disney. Ugh! Just like the private island comparison. Disney has me completely RUINED going to others. Yeah, I try not to snicker too much at the cabanas and such. I look at the prices and think “Disney isn’t so bad after all” on those cabanas. LOL!

Yep. I mean, the ones at Amber Cove were not *quite* as expensive as Disney...but they were not even close to worth the money once I saw the "furniture" in them.

(...) One even said that Carnival was better?!?!? That has to be an out and out lie! (...) Carnival is the last cruise line that should/could be compared or perceived better than Disney. I have not been to any other private island, but I can imagine and based upon yours and others stories of them, that they pale in comparison to Castaway.

Hi! :wave2:

My husband actually thinks Carnival is much better than DCL. I don't necessarily disagree with him as I enjoy both of them equally for different reasons. I honestly think the Vista & Horizon are serious contenders as we have had an experience on the Vista that was just as good as on any Disney ship.

I don't think it's fair to call us liars. Maybe we like different things. Maybe our experience was really just as good or better than our experience on DCL.

Oh, and I will finally get to try Half Moon Cay in October. I will definitely do a comparison between Castaway Cay (which I love) and Half Moon Cay when I come back.

Last edited:

Disney has it's own class of how they do things, including their shows (which no other cruise line has topped for me) and their island (which can't be beat). They also have an incredible design style that we have only seen (in comparison) on Princess. It's a comforting design and all the wood and brass. Other lines can have harsh lighting and overwhelming design and colors. And many other lines have no personality in the outside design of their ships and they tend to all blend in at ports, while Disney's always stands out as more regal.

On that note, I can only say that every other cruise line we have been on has beaten Disney in one thing -- pricing. And while I admire and respect those who are devoted to Disney and can afford to sail on them year after year, we have reached our limit with being able to afford those prices.

I miss their themed restaurants, split bathrooms and the wonderful ambiance of the atrium and the characters, and truly hope to get on at least one more sailing. But Carnival and HAL and Princess and NCL have all given us incredible deals, excellent food and specialty restaurants, and great itineraries and we have saved thousands (allowing us more vacations in one year). So I think for many, especially after the release of pricing yesterday, the bottom line is they can't afford Disney. I wish they could reign in this outrageous pricing so more of us can get back onboard, but as long as they sell out sailings they won't. And we'll just keep waiting to see pricing and whether we can afford it. :confused3

Perception is a funny thing. While you feel "yelled" at without reason, others find it annoying when posters that have never sailed on anything but Disney and have made it clear that they never will feel the need to interject themselves into innocent conversations that have nothing whatsoever to do with them. People come to this board for information. Usually it's a quest for Disney information, but it also can be about researching other cruise lines. When the latter is the case, I don't think it's a stretch that posters would much rather hear from someone who has actually experienced other lines.

Here's the thing - Anyone who's been on here for awhile, pretty much has figured out who the hard line Disney cheer leaders are. I get it. You love Disney and think it's the "Best Thing Ever!!!". But not everyone agrees with you. I certainly don't. I love Disney, I really do, and they do a fabulous job at keeping their target market happy. But not everyone is their target market. Some people could less about Mickey Mouse and Co because their kids have outgrown it. Some people think their itineraries are repetitive, their food kind of boring and the shows geared towards children and they are looking for something else (that would be our family :-)).

I try my best not to post in absolutes here. I probably don't always achieve that, especially when I get annoyed. But (and I offer this with the best of intentions), I think you will find that you'll get "yelled" at a lot less if you can at least try to understand that not everyone thinks the same things you so, likes the things you do or thinks Disney is the best cruise line in the world. You may not realize how condescending you come off when you're singing Disney's praises. Calling someone who simply has a differing opinion from you a liar is pretty telling if you ask me. That's a great way to have people just ignore whatever you say after that, which I'm guessing wasn't your intention. You know what's funny to me about some of the Disney cheerleaders? They mostly assume that people that look elsewhere do it because they can't afford Disney. The reality is that a lot of people, ourselves included, CAN actually afford Disney, but either just don't think the value is there (rather sail in a suite for two weeks vs a balcony for one week on DCL) or actually prefer another line for various reasons (also our family!!).

For the life of me I will never understand why people that have no interest in moving on from Disney even bother to read, more less comment on the threads discussing it. I read maybe 10 -15 % of the posts on here, because frankly I think a lot of the things people obsess over are kind of nutty. So I skip those and get on with my life. :flower1:

Edited to add - As I just read this back I wanted to add one thing in regards to my last paragraph. While I realize that this thread is about what keeps you with Disney vs other lines, what prompted me to add this novel was the poster claiming she was "yelled" at for posting on one of the other threads about sailing other lines.

Last edited:
Perception is a funny thing. While you feel "yelled" at without reason, others find it annoying when posters that have never sailed on anything but Disney and have made it clear that they never will feel the need to interject themselves into innocent conversations that have nothing whatsoever to do with them. People come to this board for information. Usually it's a quest for Disney information, but it also can be about researching other cruise lines. When the latter is the case, I don't think it's a stretch that posters would much rather hear from someone who has actually experienced other lines.

Here's the thing - Anyone who's been on here for awhile, pretty much has figured out who the hard line Disney cheer leaders are. I get it. You love Disney and think it's the "Best Thing Ever!!!". But not everyone agrees with you. I certainly don't. I love Disney, I really do, and they do a fabulous job at keeping their target market happy. But not everyone is their target market. Some people could less about Mickey Mouse and Co because their kids have outgrown it. Some people think their itineraries are repetitive, their food kind of boring and the shows geared towards children and they are looking for something else (that would be our family :-)).

I try my best not to post in absolutes here. I probably don't always achieve that, especially when I get annoyed. But (and I offer this with the best of intentions), I think you will find that you'll get "yelled" at a lot less if you can at least try to understand that not everyone thinks the same things you so, likes the things you do or thinks Disney is the best cruise line in the world. You may not realize how condescending you come off when you're singing Disney's praises. Calling someone who simply has a differing opinion from you a liar is pretty telling if you ask me. That's a great way to have people just ignore whatever you say after that, which I'm guessing wasn't your intention. You know what's funny to me about some of the Disney cheerleaders? They mostly assume that people that look elsewhere do it because they can't afford Disney. The reality is that a lot of people, ourselves included, CAN actually afford Disney, but either just don't think the value is there (rather sail in a suite for two weeks vs a balcony for one week on DCL) or actually prefer another line for various reasons (also our family!!).

For the life of me I will never understand why people that have no interest in moving on from Disney even bother to read, more less comment on the threads discussing it. I read maybe 10 -15 % of the posts on here, because frankly I think a lot of the things people obsess over are kind of nutty. So I skip those and get on with my life. :flower1:

Edited to add - As I just read this back I wanted to add one thing in regards to my last paragraph. While I realize that this thread is about what keeps you with Disney vs other lines, what prompted me to add this novel was the poster claiming she was "yelled" at for posting on one of the other threads about sailing other lines.

First, you assume that I have only sailed Disney and you are wrong. Second, I won't argue opinions or perceptions with you as everyone is entitled to their own, even me. Finally, you were not present in the thread I was referring to when I said I was "yelled" at, so please stop insinuating you know the details.

Disney has it's own class of how they do things, including their shows (which no other cruise line has topped for me) and their island (which can't be beat). They also have an incredible design style that we have only seen (in comparison) on Princess. It's a comforting design and all the wood and brass. Other lines can have harsh lighting and overwhelming design and colors. And many other lines have no personality in the outside design of their ships and they tend to all blend in at ports, while Disney's always stands out as more regal.

On that note, I can only say that every other cruise line we have been on has beaten Disney in one thing -- pricing. And while I admire and respect those who are devoted to Disney and can afford to sail on them year after year, we have reached our limit with being able to afford those prices.

I miss their themed restaurants, split bathrooms and the wonderful ambiance of the atrium and the characters, and truly hope to get on at least one more sailing. But Carnival and HAL and Princess and NCL have all given us incredible deals, excellent food and specialty restaurants, and great itineraries and we have saved thousands (allowing us more vacations in one year). So I think for many, especially after the release of pricing yesterday, the bottom line is they can't afford Disney. I wish they could reign in this outrageous pricing so more of us can get back onboard, but as long as they sell out sailings they won't. And we'll just keep waiting to see pricing and whether we can afford it. :confused3

I understand and hope you get one more sailing in.
:sad1:

Hi! :wave2:

My husband actually thinks Carnival is much better than DCL. I don't necessarily disagree with him as I enjoy both of them equally for different reasons. I honestly think the Vista & Horizon are serious contenders as we have had an experience on the Vista that was just as good as on any Disney ship.

I don't think it's fair to call us liars. Maybe we like different things. Maybe our experience was really just as good or better than our experience on DCL.

Oh, and I will finally get to try Half Moon Cay in October. I will definitely do a comparison between Castaway Cay (which I love) and Half Moon Cay when I come back.

There was definite sarcasm when I said it was an out and out lie. I am fully aware that some folks think carnival is better than Disney.
;)

Yep. I mean, the ones at Amber Cove were not *quite* as expensive as Disney...but they were not even close to worth the money once I saw the "furniture" in them.
I so agree! Big time.

On the same note, I go back to Disney ships and their internet is...heartbreaking......and for the $$ they ask. UGH! They should be ashamed! I know connectivity isn’t a big thing for everyone but especially when I’m traveling sans family it’s a priority to me. Last Sept we had an emergency at home while I was at sea on the Dream. My husband desperately tried using the emergency contact number....spent $120 trying to get word to me over about 6 hours time. He could NOT get a message to me in any way. My stateroom phone never rang once let alone recorded a message. And I had shut completely off the internet package because no matter what settings the connect guy at the desk changed, each time I logged on my Gs vanished rapidly. Finally a crew member came to my dinner table to get me. We were both beyond livid. That paired with how upset I was over the emergency itself, it was a bad, bad night. Soooooo much better when I can have continual unlimited WiFi that’s close to land speeds at a flat rate. Plus, posting to social media live while tagging the ship & locations, it’s FREE hype for the cruise line. Total win/win. I really do hope Disney can get out of the Stone Age with their WiFi!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter