News Round Up 2020

I thought I read (somewhere) NBA rumored to be lodged at Coronado Springs.... Also that there would be no park visits by teams, family, and coaching/managing staff. No idea now where I read that..... anyone else have a better memory?

Well Gran Destino is very much “deluxe”. MLS is there for a shorter period of time too I believe.

Yeah the MLS Tournament is supposed to have a small group stage and then single elimination tournament. Think kind of like World Cup groupings but it's going to be off a bit, since you can't split the league's teams evenly into groups (some groups will have an extra team in them).

Just watching the universal stuff it doesn’t seem that way. It seems to be a very similar experience just with a mask. You can’t hug a character but many are still available at a distance. Some shows aren’t happening either but that’s expected. I think many may miss more things at Disney because there is a bigger emphasis on shows, and characters at Disney than at Universal. Just looking at universal though I would go for the current experience.

To me it’s all about the rides. So I wasn’t really going to miss the shows or characters anyway. I will say it was a great atmosphere. But I’d still consider it a worse experience simply because of the VQ on the few rides that had it. It makes it impossible to ride Mummy or Hagrids unless you are there at rope drop. I think as empty as the parks were they could do away with the VQ and just cut off the line and tell people to come back in 30 minutes. Even though we were all the way back to the entrance of Hagrids on the preview day, it was still only a 30 minute wait, which I think is the least we’ve ever waited for it.

Has there been any chatter about extending APs for the length of the reservation system/suspension of park hopping? That is a huge value blow as a local who goes almost every day. Especially since they even say themselves we may have a difficult time reserving a park.

Yet you wouldn’t know it. I haven’t seen or heard a single thing about it being the anniversary. I think theres some tshirts somewhere, I’ve seen photos. Quite the opposite of how Disney celebrates milestone anniversaries. Though I am tired of the endless parade of special cupcakes for special occasions. Seems like a cupcake and tshirt is now the standard WDW response to everything.

I enjoyed the last remaining orig attraction this morning. :)

They had an awesome retro cup for sale. Probably no way it’s still there when we return in 2 weeks.

30 isn’t generally one of the big anniversaries places celebrate. Disneyland I think does it up a bit more but WDW really hasn’t done a big anniversary celebration since the 25th that I can recall. I remember they did have merch for the 45th which I thought was interesting.

Last edited:
Our Cedar Fair Entertainment owned amusement park is opening June 22nd with the water park reopening date not listed:

Before you come you also have to complete a questionnaire:
"On the day of your visit, open the mobile app and complete the Health Assessment Questionnaire. Only one questionnaire is required per group. If you make multiple visits during the summer, you’ll need to complete a questionnaire each time you visit to the park. If your group does not pass the health assessment, we will ask you to reschedule your visit to a different date and time."

Regarding how to pay for parking at the park itself (bolding is mine):
"parking toll booth, we will ask you for proof of parking payment. If you do not have a parking voucher, you may pay with a cashless payment method such as a credit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay. We will also confirm that your group has a reservation for the day."

Entry into park:
"At our touchless turnstiles, scan your Season Pass or Daily Ticket inside the mobile app and let the fun begin!"

I found this next part really interesting regarding things they recommend you do during your visit:
"Wash your hands every 20 minutes. We have many hand sanitizer stations all through the park."

With respects to rides:
"Some areas, rides and attractions are not conducive for social distancing and are closed for now. Wait lines for open rides and attractions will be marked for social distancing. Some seats and rows will be unavailable to accommodate social distancing. Seats, restraints, headrests and armrests will be sanitized frequently"

Food (bolding mine):
Some tables have been removed for social distancing. Distancing is marked on the floor for wait lines. All disposable products, including pre-wrapped utensils. Plastic barriers between guests and ambassadors. Contactless payments, including credit card, Apple Pay and Android Pay are encouraged."

Games area and Shops:
"Social distancing must be maintained at all of our retail and game locations. It’s very important to continue wearing your mask in these locations. Contactless payment is encouraged where possible."

They do have basically the same legal disclosure as other parks: "BY VISITING THE PARK, YOU VOLUNTARILY ASSUME ALL RISKS RELATED TO EXPOSURE TO COVID-19"

ETA: I do wonder how they will handle tickets. Several years ago they merged the water and amusement parks together raising the overall price. I wonder if they will price it lower for the time that the water park isn't open.

Last edited:
So now the question becomes, will they be treated as though "on property" and therefore allowed access to the park reservation system just like people staying at one of the open DVC locations?

I've seen that Disney isn't guaranteeing entry for hotel, or "on property" guests. Have you seen otherwise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter