News Round Up 2020

I just don’t get who wants to go right now... besides Vloggers or Media. It seems like you’re getting the worst guest experience ever even with reduced crowds.
Just watching the universal stuff it doesn’t seem that way. It seems to be a very similar experience just with a mask. You can’t hug a character but many are still available at a distance. Some shows aren’t happening either but that’s expected. I think many may miss more things at Disney because there is a bigger emphasis on shows, and characters at Disney than at Universal. Just looking at universal though I would go for the current experience.

I just don’t get who wants to go right now... besides Vloggers or Media. It seems like you’re getting the worst guest experience ever even with reduced crowds.

Friday was supposedly better than the previous days. Waits for food and attractions weren't nearly as bad. It's not always about attractions and dining. Sometimes it's about looking at details in the parks and just being in the parks, away from home. We will most likely be going July 8-21 to UO and WDW. We also have a non-refundable DVC rental at WDW, so that factors in some. We have also been a ton of times and will be back to UO in October and both in November. It's sort of each to his own. I know that it will be a unique visit that will probably never happen again. If you are local and have an AP, I can really see it too.

Just watching the universal stuff it doesn’t seem that way. It seems to be a very similar experience just with a mask. You can’t hug a character but many are still available at a distance. Some shows aren’t happening either but that’s expected. I think many may miss more things at Disney because there is a bigger emphasis on shows, and characters at Disney than at Universal. Just looking at universal though I would go for the current experience.

Yeah, based on some reviews from Friday, including the video Craig put up, it almost seems like better than normal at Universal: minimal waits, more use of virtual queues, TMs trying extra hard to be welcoming, etc

If I was there I would definitely go to Universal. I agree that Disney might feel like more of a "haircut" to the full experiencd

This doesnt suprise me that when it was AP specific that it was crazy now that anyone can get in people are staying away. I have been a AP member as well and I can see why some cast members have a specific nickname for Passholders that might be a bit to much. The Ebay Sellers and those specific Passholders that earn that nickname seem to care verry little about the people around them, almost like they feel privileged. It falls in line with stories I have heard about on average Passholders who eat at restaurants that may or may not have the Tables of Wonderland card as well tend to be worse tippers then the average theme park goer. I can understand how the theme parks can be crazy expensive and the benifits of finding discounts when you can but still the average cast member doesnt care you come 5 times year or once a week if your local or what not, they just want to give you a magical moment and get compensated in like for the good service.
Just to clarify one point. Tables in Wonderland calculates an 18% tip and adds it to your bill, so even if someone wanted to be a "bad" tipper they couldn't.

Yeah, based on some reviews from Friday, including the video Craig put up, it almost seems like better than normal at Universal: minimal waits, more use of virtual queues, TMs trying extra hard to be welcoming, etc

If I was there I would definitely go to Universal. I agree that Disney might feel like more of a "haircut" to the full experiencd

Oh, good. I should feel right at home then at WDW :rotfl2: I just got my hair cut from almost shoulder length to above my ears. I didn't want to be touching my face to push it out of the way right now when exercising or at the parks.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I watched several of the universal videos like those put out by Craig and PrinceCharmingDev. I can't justify the cost of travel, hotel and food for that experience. Based on those videos, I think we're in the majority.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I watched several of the universal videos like those put out by Craig and PrinceCharmingDev. I can't justify the cost of travel, hotel and food for that experience. Based on those videos, I think we're in the majority.

For someone who has to pay for traveling (especially if it involves multiple plane tickets) and only goes once a year or less I totally agree

But if you are someone who goes mutilple times a year, etc, it might be kinda fun to experience the parks "differently"

I mean, that video Craig put out for his visit to UO on the 5th (so not the preview day, but the regular day) made it seem pretty darn enjoyable

I’m here at Uni now. Some changes, like the lack of the preshows at Gringotts, I dislike. The masks and rules do prevent one from being totally absorbed in the story/land. But it’s bot crowded. For those who frequently go to Uni, it’s worth it if you’re family is not high risk. Local passholders like me may as well go; the time has started on our passes again.

Either I have bad luck or the rides are breaking down more frequently. Got stuck on MIB for ten minutes (which was fun, got to read all the signs); now I’m in line for Mummy and it’s broken. Normally I’d leave but I can’t leave and maintain social distancing...

edit: they turned the lights on, said it would be 20+ mn, and showed us where to exit if we wanted.

I’m here at Uni now. Some changes, like the lack of the preshows at Gringotts, I dislike. The masks and rules do prevent one from being totally absorbed in the story/land. But it’s bot crowded. For those who frequently go to Uni, it’s worth it if you’re family is not high risk. Local passholders like me may as well go; the time has started on our passes again.

Either I have bad luck or the rides are breaking down more frequently. Got stuck on MIB for ten minutes (which was fun, got to read all the signs); now I’m in line for Mummy and it’s broken. Normally I’d leave but I can’t leave and maintain social distancing...

edit: they turned the lights on, said it would be 20+ mn, and showed us where to exit if we wanted.

Interesting angle of how do you bail on a line while maintaining social distancing? Just picturing bring in a queue and one of my kids is desperate to go to the bathroom - can't just backtrack like in the past

I assume be able to find a TM/CM to help but just another thing to think about

It is pretty amazing how small the crowds are at Universal. I have thought for a while that people have been really overestimating how crowded WDW will be after the first week or so, but I thought UO would be a little more crowded than it is now with WDW and Sea World closed.

It is pretty amazing how small the crowds are at Universal. I have thought for a while that people have been really overestimating how crowded WDW will be after the first week or so, but I thought UO would be a little more crowded than it is now with WDW and Sea World closed.

I agree - though I do wonder just how many people who aren't local would plan for (and pay for travel) to go for just Universal when not knowing exactly how things would be the first few days. (And not saying that to out Universal down but just one place isn't the same as multiple options)

Now that people can see I wonder if more might be willing to travel especially as getting to end of school year some places

We are weird and love when rides break down. I think after you have gone a lot, something different is always welcome. Some of our fondest memories are of when rides have broken down. I wouldn't go if we were first time or non-frequent visitors though.

Today is the 30th anniversary of Universal Studios Florida now Orlando.

No not Disney but still related. The construction of this park pushed Disney and CEO Michael Eisner to create Disney’s MGM Studios. Right now both companies keep pushing each other further and it’s good for us as consumers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter