News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw on twitter but it’s true. We are losing more and more important people from Disney. Ron Miller and now Dave Smith. If you have the chance go see or listen to these important Disney people before it’s too late.

Someone protect Bob Gurr please. :)

There should be a complete download of all his ideas/concept, now, while we believe he is fully coherent. Gurr probably has not only his Imagineering ideas, but perhaps others in the lineage.

I'm not really sure that many people will have that big of an issue with it. It's something you see from time to time out and about in everyday life. I can't really see the diehard fans suddenly up and deciding "nope not going to get anymore".

Loss prevention-wise though it's not solving all of the issues but probably provides some sort of a deterrent and I'm guessing that's more of what they are going for. Perhaps they will be watching those for a while more closely too.
Strikes me as hugely inconvenient. We often grab a couple as impulse purchases on our way to pay. We’ll definitely buy less this way. Particularly when it’s crowded. Can you imagine how long it will take to get someone there to unlock all of these for everyone all day long??
14DF6A82-7189-4877-8EDC-BD2CECD09596.jpeg

Feels like it might cost them more in man hours! Lol!

I suspect they’ll undo.

Last edited:
Strikes me as hugely inconvenient. We often grab a couple as impulse purchases on our way to pay. We’ll defined buy less this way. Particularly when it’s crowded. Can you imagine how long it will take to get someone there to unlock all of these for everyone all day long??
View attachment 382709

I suspect they’ll undo.
That's not the case I'm even trying to make. Life has all sorts of inconveniences due to other people's poor decisions. Like I said it must be bad enough for them to do something like this. If they find it isn't working out they will switch to something else. I see this as no different than ink tags or sensor tags. It's inconvenient to make sure they get removed (and we all know sometimes they don't get removed and then we have to go back to the store, etc) but they were on there for a reason. It's a pretty overt loss-prevention technique I'm going to assume they've thought of other things first and determined for now to try this out. It's not the end of the world to say the least to ask a CM to get it out for you :) and most people I'm sure have run up against something like this elsewhere.

I'm not really sure that many people will have that big of an issue with it. It's something you see from time to time out and about in everyday life. I can't really see the diehard fans suddenly up and deciding "nope not going to get anymore".

Loss prevention-wise though it's not solving all of the issues but probably provides some sort of a deterrent and I'm guessing that's more of what they are going for. Perhaps they will be watching those for a while more closely too.
This seems like a hassle for the CMs more than anything.

Absolutely. I can imagine what this will look like in practice. I could be wrong, but I’m picturing a real mess at peak times. And at least some lost sales from people who won’t bother to wait.

Though there obviously must be a loss issue if they’re trying this, this is one I’d be willing to bet will be undone.

No doubt. But again not the point I'm trying to make. Many things I did as a cashier back in the day were quite the hassle. That wasn't a reason for me to not do preventative and active loss-prevention. In this case Disney has decided, for now, to try this out; if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out and something else will be looked at. Honestly I think pricing of some of the pins is probably more of a deterrent in buying them (half-way joking).

No doubt. But again not the point I'm trying to make. Many things I did as a cashier back in the day were quite the hassle. That wasn't a reason for me to not do preventative and active loss-prevention. In this case Disney has decided, for now, to try this out; if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out and something else will be looked at. Honestly I think pricing of some of the pins is probably more of a deterrent in buying them (half-way joking).
Oh I know. Just pointing out that I think this will be an issue for them as more tedious than anything. They should just Station a CM at the pins at all times.

Oh I know. Just pointing out that I think this will be an issue for them as more tedious than anything. They should just Station a CM at the pins at all times.
I'm thinking they probably don't want to pay a CM to do that lol but I totally get what you're saying. Putting a CM within reach to unlock it quickly or doing away with the lock entirely and just have a CM keep a closer eye on the pins is certaintly another way(s).

Yeah, this seems like it will be a pain. I wonder if it will be all merchandise locations throughout WDW or just like the Emporium, Mouse Gear, etc where there is really high traffic and lots of people cutting through with multiple entrances and exits. I wouldn’t think Boutiki for example would be as bad.

Also, aren’t the cards behind the pins made of paper? Couldn’t someone just rip the card off the peg/hook?!? :confused3

News

Apparently now pins will be locked items at merchandise locations

https://twitter.com/thedclblog/status/1096597568396644352?s=21

Yeah, this seems like it will be a pain. I wonder if it will be all merchandise locations throughout WDW or just like the Emporium, Mouse Gear, etc where there is really high traffic and lots of people cutting through with multiple entrances and exits. I wouldn’t think Boutiki for example would be as bad.

Also, aren’t the cards behind the pins made of paper? Couldn’t someone just rip the card off the peg/hook?!? :confused3
And what's preventing somebody from just removing the back...sliding the pin off and leaving the paper hanging? People that want to steal will steal, this will simply cause a nuisance to the honest and seems to serve as no deterrent whatsoever.

Strikes me as hugely inconvenient. We often grab a couple as impulse purchases on our way to pay. We’ll definitely buy less this way. Particularly when it’s crowded. Can you imagine how long it will take to get someone there to unlock all of these for everyone all day long??

I suspect they’ll undo.

Mabe they'll hire more people.......:sunny:

I wonder if they would ever create a pin vending machine? Integrate it with a MB/RFID/CC Chip reader and you could easily make pin buys without a CM involved.

That would be cool - then they could have them just out at disney Springs or even at the airport for last minute souvenirs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter