News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are at Sci Fi now. When we got here you could tell that the air was not working. After we were seated someone was passing out little packaged wet towels. The air is back on now here but the attractions are not back online yet. We did get an apology notification on the MDE app from Disney. I wish I had taken a picture of it but I closed it after I read it.
It should've been this:

Attachments

• IMG_6319.jpg
    IMG_6319.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 140

Todays outage was due to a small fire in the cooling systems backstage. This caused a wide spread outage to most attractions and A/C.

I find it curious that a small fire backstage can cause a wide spread outage. Perhaps this was a legacy electrical system where they were all interconnected? The solar field might be able to add grid stability at WDW in the event of localized outage(s).

Regarding the shows in the Asian parks, I wish that Disney could create a way - maybe through the app or a limited acces link - that will translate the basic dialogue, either written or via audio. When we went to the Jack sparrow show in Shanghai, our brains were *so tired* afterward. Asian languages are SO different from our own, and our brains were working really hard - subconsciously - to try to translate and understand the dialogue. It could work both ways - provide the dialogue for US shows in a few other languages.

considering the solar parks on Disney property are still not technically owned by Disney 100 percent and they end up buying that electricity the solar grid isnt really going to stop these type of issues from happening, As the park ages the infrastructure that is in place also ages and will eventually also need to be replaced. Where the electricity comes from to the parks will not have a impact on these type of system failures. What caused this is more than likely a cooling system that prob has been there since opening and was in need of replacing of some integral part but instead of replacing Disney was prob band aiding it until it failed, I suspect the cooling systems at WDW will prob get some much needed preventive maintenance now

The idea of the expanded solar field could be to supplement DC power/energy as WDW sees fit. It's not a matter of being able to stop these events, but to mitigate the risk with fast, reactionary capabilities. This goes back to how WDW/Ready Creek is going to interconnect the new 50MW farm coming online. I think yesterday's events should inspire the energy consultants to take a hard look at how to utilize the solar farm best whether directly tied, partitioned as separate microgrids, or a combination with fast response energy storage.

If this was an older system failure, this makes me think that the electrical infrastructure needs a massive review.

I find it curious that a small fire backstage can cause a wide spread outage. Perhaps this was a legacy electrical system where they were all interconnected? The solar field might be able to add grid stability at WDW in the event of localized outage(s).
Many of Disney’s systems are connected.

Disney has 2 power plants on site already there electrical grid is already intertwined, more than like the fire caused disney to cut the power to DHS. Heating and cooling on the scale of Disney usually means they are requiring alot of electricity. The power outage was more than likely caused by the fact that disney had to to cut power to that part of there grid so they could address the fire and fix the issue. Much like when there is a house fire on your street that could be close to a power line. The power company might kill the electricity to that part of the grid to mitigate the safety issues that electricity could cause to those fighting a fire. What you are suggesting would make since if the issue was because of a transformer or some sub station was on fire. In this case it would seem that Disney itself more than likely cut the power because of the fire. The fire may have been caused by some short circuit in the Heating and cooling system or it could have been caused by some other means. But hvac systems of that magnitude tend to not be able to be unplugged like a house hold appliance and tend to have to deal with some sort of condensation and water, both of that would make it prudent regardless of cause of fire to cut power to the section of the park. The reasons we saw issues outside of the HVAC system is more to do with the fact that Disney obviously didnt have it on a separate part of its grid from the rides that saw outages.

Cooling systems on large campuses (colleges, businesses, theme parks, etc.) work far differently than what homes and buildings use. They rely on cooling or chilling facilities that are entire buildings dedicated to cooling water or air as efficiently as possible and then distributing it across the campus. I assume that it was I such a building the problem arose.

This would not be a legacy system, but most likely a state of the art facility that functions far more effectively than what we use at home.

It would also have nothing to do with the power grid aside from using energy from it.

Cooling systems on large campuses (colleges, businesses, theme parks, etc.) work far differently than what homes and buildings use. They rely on cooling or chilling facilities that are entire buildings dedicated to cooling water or air as efficiently as possible and then distributing it across the campus. I assume that it was I such a building the problem arose.

This would not be a legacy system, but most likely a state of the art facility that functions far more effectively than what we use at home.

It would also have nothing to do with the power grid aside from using energy from it.
Yes this is exactly what Disney does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter