News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
New activity at the Kidcot stations starting July 15th:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...p-experience-coming-to-epcots-world-showcase/

I had seen before that the Duffy on a stick was going away but looks like new activity isn’t just a different thing to color but now a suitcase shaped ziploc baggie that kids will use to collect traveler cards and stickers from the different locations
My 7 yo is really excited about this. We did the Duffy thing twice, the passport thing once, and now we will do this this week. Hoping for the same great interactions with the CMs. She loves, as do her dad and I, talking with the CMs in each country.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...p-experience-coming-to-epcots-world-showcase/

I had seen before that the Duffy on a stick was going away but looks like new activity isn’t just a different thing to color but now a suitcase shaped ziploc baggie that kids will use to collect traveler cards and stickers from the different locations

This looks like a nice improvement. The coloring always sort of drove me nuts. I freely admit to being a parent who didn't want to pay for park tickets and watch my kid color all day at epcot.

I am getting Wilderness Explorers vibe from this, which is a good thing as that is a great free activity to do that involves exploring the different areas of the park :)

Wonder if this means no more coloring stations. It was a great distraction for the kids that parents could split up to explore the country. (One stay with the child and one walk around the country.) The kids would sit and color forever if you let them. Not sure just getting a sticker would be as good. Will be intersting to see what it actually ends up being.

There's also the pressed pennies a parent with child can collect while the other parent meanders EPCOT. Some of these are exclusive to the park and limited to an event.

Showed my wife and she loved it! Then we saw the price tag...

$100?!

I would spend that in a heartbeat for this. Totally worth it!

I am hoping the Friends and Family 25% can be applied. If not, 20% AP is better than nothing! I should probably hold-off though, I did recently drop a decent chunk of change in DHS on TSL merchandise.

“our company has created 18,000 in the U.S. in the last five years. How many jobs have you created? What have you contributed to the U.S. economy?”
Because I'm a numbers geek and my job often has me in meetings questioning senior leaders metrics, I had to do some simple math on Bernie's and Iger's claims.

Iger claimed Disney created 18,000 jobs over 5 years. That sounds great, and I'm sure it is for many of those people. The Bernie article says Iger can earn up to $423 million in the next 4 years. Seems reasonable for the scope of responsibility he has running TDC.

Let's see how much Iger earned for each job created. I'm going to round the $423 million in 4 years up to $500 million in 5 years to make the math comparison easier. $500 million/18,000 = $27,777 per hire. Impressive, especially when you consider many of those hires might make $10/hour, or just under $21,000/year if they work full time.

No political judgement here. Just the numbers.

j

Wonder if this means no more coloring stations. It was a great distraction for the kids that parents could split up to explore the country. (One stay with the child and one walk around the country.) The kids would sit and color forever if you let them. Not sure just getting a sticker would be as good. Will be intersting to see what it actually ends up being.

I was just saying this same thing to my DH. Our DD hated WS and this was a huge help. She loved coloring so she would stop at each place and color some of her Duffy. DS just loved talked to the CM and learning about their culture. If it wasn't for the coloring DD would have made our time their miserable.

Sanders’ earlier attack got under Iger’s skin. In a Facebook post, he fired back:

“To Bernie Sanders: We created 11,000 new jobs at Disneyland in the past decade and our company has created 18,000 in the U.S. in the last five years. How many jobs have you created? What have you contributed to the U.S. economy?” “

Dang

Because I'm a numbers geek and my job often has me in meetings questioning senior leaders metrics, I had to do some simple math on Bernie's and Iger's claims.

Iger claimed Disney created 18,000 jobs over 5 years. That sounds great, and I'm sure it is for many of those people. The Bernie article says Iger can earn up to $423 million in the next 4 years. Seems reasonable for the scope of responsibility he has running TDC.

Let's see how much Iger earned for each job created. I'm going to round the $423 million in 4 years up to $500 million in 5 years to make the math comparison easier. $500 million/18,000 = $27,777 per hire. Impressive, especially when you consider many of those hires might make $10/hour, or just under $21,000/year if they work full time.

No political judgement here. Just the numbers.

j

Oh no! This place is my one respite from the real world. Let's not give people a chance to show their true colors, okay?

Or just discuss. I can choose to not read. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter