News Round Up 2017

I would think for a lot of planners they would be checking calendars and would know to plan for a different park that day (or if they have park hoppers - know to "hop" to another park) ... but for the less informed guests I could see being pretty unhappy if you show up and find out the park closes at 6

Oh man, I can only imagine those people who show up at 11 am and buy a 1 day ticket to MK on those days. I'm not victim blaming but definitely a situation of buyer beware! That said, I do like to go to MK in the mornings on these party days. I rarely spend one full day in one park as it is anymore. So that's a nice way to have a chill morning, hit the pool in the afternoon, try to grab additional FP in the evening somewhere else. Total downside for folks without hoppers or AP though.

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere but saw a story the DIS posted about the Universal patent for the augmented/virtual reality glasses
http://universal.wdwinfo.com/news/universals-newest-patent-is-for-augmentedvirtual-reality-goggles/

Definitely could see this used in Mario Kart (and so if you can see a physical track but then "augments" other characters racing or the weapons used, it could be cool)

Interesting that the patent includes a sketch of the Hulk - obviously if they are planning new things with Marvel character, seems to me Disney isn't close to getting the full control. Also, could be a cool concept if you ride the Hulk coaster and see mostly the physical world but then some augmented reality characters on/around the track

I definitely like the idea of augment reality more than the full virtual reality glasses on rides

There will have to be a tipping point. I know if I were a day guest and had the choice to pay ~$100 for 8 hours on a party day or the same price for 12 or more on a non-party day, it's a no-brainer. We are passholders so it doesn't matter to us, but I have to think this will drive some (more) day traffic away from MK on those days.

Because on those early close dates, you lose night time entertainment, and pay no less for your ticket.

There's no escaping it, however.

Unless of course you buy the day twice!

There will have to be a tipping point. I know if I were a day guest and had the choice to pay ~$100 for 8 hours on a party day or the same price for 12 or more on a non-party day, it's a no-brainer. We are passholders so it doesn't matter to us, but I have to think this will drive some (more) day traffic away from MK on those days.

We find that to be the case already. We feel like we get more done on the party days by 5PM than we would on a non party day staying till midnight because of the crowd levels. We are generally at WDW for a week, so we spend 2 or 3 days at MK, which makes it easier. But if I only had 1 day to go to MK and that happened to be a party day, I would be upset.

Because on those early close dates, you lose night time entertainment, and pay no less for your ticket.

There's no escaping it, however.

Unless of course you buy the day twice!
I'm confused by your statement. In order to not lose any nighttime entertainment there would have to be no parties whatsoever. So are you suggesting that Disney eliminate all parties throughout the year?

News

Siemens have chosen not to renew their contract with Disney leaving the future of Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations in potential jeopardy... Spaceship Earth has never been without a sponsor, so with the Epcot overhaul about to begin, what will the future hold?

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/06/break...s-spaceship-earth-illuminations-future-doubt/

wow, that is a big development ... I had read/heard some things lately that made it seems like people were assuming it WOULD be renewed - so wonder if this changes things

I plead ignorance! I never read the gondola thread because I found the idea unbelievable.

Help!
Please inform me WHY Disney wants to build the gondola system.

The linked article mentioned Pop getting use of the system;

wouldn't Disney have to raise the rates of Pop like $100 per night?!
Because the new DVC @ CBR would be less desirable if a value//Pop//
ALSO had the gondola amenity?!?!

I plead ignorance! I never read the gondola thread because I found the idea unbelievable.

Help!

I suggest reading through that thread those questions are answered there, plus witty banter and dvc theories included at no extra charge.

wow, that is a big development ... I had read/heard some things lately that made it seems like people were assuming it WOULD be renewed - so wonder if this changes things
Yes, this is huge news, and not something I was expecting to hear. I have been reading that too, this is bound to change some details - Siemens were sponsors for Spaceship Earth, IllumiNations and also Small World out at Disneyland. They also have a big role in Cars Land at DCA. Definitely need to watch this space for what effect this has on Epcot's changes.

Help!

Obviously multiple reasons but the big things are that it provides another form of transportation - and another link to DHS which they are expecting crowds to increase with Star Wars Land at DHS and they are (likely) going to have DVC at Caribbean Beach.

And yes, this does make AoA and Pop more valuable and likely to have prices go up - seems to fit with thought that Disney will do away with the strict tiering of resorts ... so Pop won't be a "Value" it will be a "gondola resort" or whatever

Help!

On some of your points:

There has been talk that Disney is looking to remove the whole Value, Moderate, Deluxe aspect and instead go to more area-specific categories.

There has been talk of what the gondola and the room refurbs will do to the price of POP. I think most people think something will adjust in the pricing component but at what rate is anyone's guess. It would be especially different if they did get rid of the value, mod, deluxe aspect because that could mean an adjustment of pricing structure to many different resorts as part of a restructuring.

But I do agree with Roxyfire that reading the thread will give you more of a background. I would though suggest reading the POP refurb one as well as there is talk about pricing.

~Gondola thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/skyway-on-steroids-gondolas-confirmed.3578988/ (keep in mind part of this thread did have speculation talk on it since there was conflict with posters on if this would truly happen or not)

~POP refurb thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/pop-century-room-renovations.3573071/ (keep in mind this thread has some length to it but does include plenty of pictures and whatnot)

I'm confused by your statement. In order to not lose any nighttime entertainment there would have to be no parties whatsoever. So are you suggesting that Disney eliminate all parties throughout the year?

Yes.

Or at least scale them back.

But let's be real, they aren't going backwards. Just getting more expensive and expansive.

I would think for a lot of planners they would be checking calendars and would know to plan for a different park that day (or if they have park hoppers - know to "hop" to another park) ... but for the less informed guests I could see being pretty unhappy if you show up and find out the park closes at 6

AND the Party guests get 8 hours of park time
(IF they are still allowed to arrive @ 4)
AND the Party is like 25% cheaper than a one day ticket, or even

Yes, this is huge news, and not something I was expecting to hear. I have been reading that too, this is bound to change some details - Siemens were sponsors for Spaceship Earth, IllumiNations and also Small World out at Disneyland. They also have a big role in Cars Land at DCA. Definitely need to watch this space for what effect this has on Epcot's changes.
Well considering Illuminations is on the table to go that part isn't surprising but wow SSE not having a sponsor is big. That ride most definitely will need a refurb to remove references to Siemens.

Yes.

Or at least scale them back.

But let's be real, they aren't going backwards. Just getting more expensive and expansive.
Ok that's what I was thinking you were meaning based on your earlier comment on the subject.

Yeah the overall trend is adding more dates to parties or events if you include Flower and Garden and Food and Wine;I believe Universal added days to their HHN.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter