New search test feedback thread

I'm not sure what is working these days with the Search or what isn't...apparently the DIS/BoardTracker still in Beta/testing mode, so features come...features go. All that aside, are you using the California Gold 'skin'?
Go down to the bottom left corner of this page.
Your 'skin' menu will probably say 'Default'.
Click on the drop-down, choose 'California Gold'.
You will now be able to access the available Search features.

Other than using BoardTracker, many have reported success using Yahoo or Google to do a domain-name/user-name search.

hth,
agnes!

OMG Agnes! :rockband: YOU ROCK!
rock.gif

I only read this last page and tried your suggestion! Why does the search feature ONLY work with the Gold skin!!?? And it is quite a pur-ty color if I say so myself!:yay:

I always said the search feature on the DIS is worth next to nothing! Wondered why they even had a search feature when it would turn up NOTHING!

YAY!! I can search, I can search!:dance3:

I must spread the word to my wench friends!

I am off!:moped: ...ooops wrong way......:car:

For the past couple days, I can't get the search by username function to work at all. The little dog sits there and fills up over and over. That's it. No results. What changed?

For the past couple days, I can't get the search by username function to work at all. The little dog sits there and fills up over and over. That's it. No results. What changed?

they've stopped feeding the koalas.

Oh, I know what's involved. I know that something that seems like 'one easy page' never really is. But for as long as Boardtracker has been working on this, and the number of boards they do index, this would really be something that *could* have been written. Flexible enough to deal with different board configurations. And yes, I know board owners are not developers. That would be why Boardtracker develops something and offers it to the board owners as a plug in or value added service.

I agree that people would most likely like to have searches that show up new information imeediately. But given the choice between NOT having a decent working search for over a year and having delayed searching, I know what I would choose.

Of course I'm on the outside looking in so I don't know everything that is involved.

Whatever. It's not worth it.

My thoughts exactly Jeff - If my performance was like this at work....Id be out of a job. :scared1:

When is "Find all posts by..." going to work with the normal skin? That is the main thing I search for. I just tried out the California Gold skin and went AHHH!!! That hurts my eyes!" The colors used on that skin are frankly painful! I like using the default skin and shouldn't have to change it to do something simple like look for posts by somebody.

It would be nice if instead of getting "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." when searching for a user's posts the message would actually be useful and tell me WHY none were found. I had to dig through multiple pages on one thread and follow a link to this one to figure out the problem.

From what I've read this has been an ongoing problem for over a year. I understand it takes time to work out bugs but over a year and still no fix for a problem to a popular feature is ridiculus!

EDIT:

That is because the implementation of the search (beta) here on DisBoards is temporary. When the final search is released, both the interface (and terminology) as well as the color scheme ;) will be proper.

I wouldn't call 3 months (actually a lot longer I know but 3 months since that post) temporary. After reading through this and another thread on this board I'm starting to wonder if these problems will ever be fixed. Specific problems have been mentioned numerous times and many months later the problems are still there.

If there is no longer a problem with searching for usernames please make that feature available on the other skins. Makes sense to me, fix a feature and you make it available to everybody, not leave it on a skin that hurts my eyes just thinking about it (and I was using it for less than 2 minutes).

Last I read, Shorty, was that the BT folk and their koalas were working on it. Does seem like a very long time, yes, but I keep hearing they are working on it. :confused3

Last I read, Shorty, was that the BT folk and their koalas were working on it. Does seem like a very long time, yes, but I keep hearing they are working on it. :confused3

They keep saying they are working on it but we see no fixes nor are we told of any progress (AFAIK). It appears to me that the search system is exactly the same from when I joined four months ago. In other words, doesn't work worth anything. Had to dig and dig to find out the problem and the "solution" (wouldn't call having to use an ugly color scheme a solution). They could at least do a better job of keeping us updated and it would be nice if they would make the search features that are fixed available to everybody.

If at my job I just kept saying "I'm working on it" every time I was asked how something was coming I'd be out of a job. We're the end users of the search system and we have a right to know what is going on with it but we're not being kept up to date real well.

We're the end users of the search system and we have a right to know what is going on with it but we're not being kept up to date real well.

Well, we really don't have any rights. We can ask. They might tell. They might not.

I think search is a low priority for some reason.

Since I've seen some recent Search posts on Page 1, thought the most recent WebmasterAlex-Search thread could do with a bump :goodvibes .

agnes!

Bumping back up.

Today the search function doesn't work at all again when searching by user name. It only says "Sorry, no matches..." no matter which user name I try.

Could we please get an update from BoardTracker? Thanks!

We are indexing now the latest data, which is the final step before reintroducing the new version of the beta. hopefully in 3-4 days the rest of the backlog data would be fully indexed and we can test-run the new search.

We are indexing now the latest data, which is the final step before reintroducing the new version of the beta. hopefully in 3-4 days the rest of the backlog data would be fully indexed and we can test-run the new search.
Glad to hear we're close to a test run with full data. Thanks for the update.

Thank you for finally letting us know what is going on! I asked nearly 20 days ago in this thread but never got a response.

Don't get too excited...been there done that!

At least we have been told something. From all we've been told lately it appeared nothing has been going on with the search engine. I know it isn't possible to tell us every little detail of the work but at least keep us updated every once in a while without being asked. If asked give us something, not apparently ignore the questions. It is annoying that I asked nearly 20 days ago for some information but never got a response from Board Tracker or anybody in charge here.

I think what dpuck1998 was referring to is that there have been close-in dates provided before, but those later ended up being for some intermediate milestone in this effort, as once the service was in general use, it became evident that some more work was needed. Don't be disappointed if the feature doesn't provide all you could hope for, later this week.

...Don't be disappointed if the feature doesn't provide all you could hope for, later this week.

What is, *is*. I'm not disappointed now, I don't plan on being disappointed in the future. But that's kind of because I haven't used the site Search lately, anymore I usually go with Google or Yahoo site-searches. I'll take another stab at it when the most recent indexing is integrated into the latest beta-version of DIS' BoardTracker (and that looks like it might be around/after Wednesday of this coming week).

Thanks to BoardTracker for posting the most recent update.
agnes!

Just an update for the interested parties..

We are in the process of releasing the new Beta now.
On the site itself (under v2.boardtracker.com) you can already see the new search. Here on the board it will be reenabled soon.
We estimate that new data will start showing in the next 48 hours.

(Search will be extremely slow at first, but speed will be worked on right after new data starts appearing)

Another update, the search feature on the board works now.
New(er) data will start appearing in the next 36 hours.
(We will also be working on the performance of search in the coming weeks).

Another update, the search feature on the board works now.
New(er) data will start appearing in the next 36 hours.
(We will also be working on the performance of search in the coming weeks).
Should ANY results show yet? I put my name in, got this........

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter