New Restrictions to GAC - Our Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can assure you that "French CM" is one of the best CM's on property.
If you had an issue with an individual, you can always ask to speak to the manager. EVERYONE except for Bob Iger has a manager.

I use a cane to walk and have for about 20 years now. I'm only in my 40's but have a debilitating arthritis. We went to DLR in 1998. After being there for a day or so, a CM walked up to me and explained to me that since I use a cane, I qualify to go in the alternate entrance for most rides, etc. I know things have changed at the DLR over the years, but have only had trouble once or twice obtaining a GAC. The first time we went back to WDW after 5 years of DLR trips I went to the AK. The CM there was the rudest I have ever encountered. I brought my GAC from the DLR to show her, but she couldn't have cared less. I waited until I got to the MK to get mine. We leave on Friday to go to WDW and my stomach is in knots over this. I am recovering from my 2nd knee surgery since January and I am not walking well at all. Just put down the crutches Saturday and am back to my cane but it's not enough. The only way I can do this trip per my doctor and physical therapist is to use a chair. I think we've decided not to go to the MK until Monday, but I don't know what to do. I just don't want a hassle about this. We always FP everything we can and if the wait isn't too long, we wait. I'm just getting anxious about this.

If you are using a chair you don't need a GAC the lines are wheelchair accessible for the most part and those that aren't the CM will tell you where to go.

I can assure you that "French CM" is one of the best CM's on property.
If you had an issue with an individual, you can always ask to speak to the manager. EVERYONE except for Bob Iger has a manager.

I believe you...DD thought he was darned cute, too.
Since he is one of the best CMs on property does that in fact mean he was only enforcing a new or revised policy regarding the GAC? My family and I are just trying to understand what appears to be a change in what we have experienced in 6 years of trips to WDW.

Thanks for the insight.

Yes, the fist is tightening ever since they started poping up on E-bay and since guests reportedly have gone into Guest Relations locations and tried to acquire GAC cards when the person it's supposedly for is no where to be found. I can attest that there's a lot of mini-revisions that are going on and the system is under CONSTANT scrutiny. I truly feel bad for both the CM's who have so much personal judgement placed into them as well as the LEGITIMATE parents and people who have to go through politics to service their needs. The system is so abusable so please forgive the CM's who simply want to ensure what they are doing is right and are only doing what they are trained to do.

On a semi-related note: I think some folks are misreading into this request to see the disabled individual. It's not neccessarily that the CM wants to see the disability, it's just that they want to see the person it's going to.

If you are using a chair you don't need a GAC the lines are wheelchair accessible for the most part and those that aren't the CM will tell you where to go.

This post is correct. You will just use the standard wheelchair entance (sometimes it's an alternate entrance a la Spaceship Earth and other times it's the standard queue a la Soarin').

I truly feel bad for both the CM's who have so much personal judgement placed into them as well as the LEGITIMATE parents and people who have to go through politics to service their needs. The system is so abusable so please forgive the CM's who simply want to ensure what they are doing is right and are only doing what they are trained to do.

On a semi-related note: I think some folks are misreading into this request to see the disabled individual. It's not neccessarily that the CM wants to see the disability, it's just that they want to see the person it's going to.[/QUOTE]

Please forgive the guests who need the GAC and get upset when they are harassed tried to get one.The situation I had (and many others I have read about here) had nothing to do with CM's doing "what they are trained to do". But rather some CM's taking their "power" into their own hands. I understand people abuse the system, but that does not give Disney or anyone the right to "abuse" people with needs. With so many disabilities that can't been "seen" how exactly is "seeing" the person that needs the GAC going to help? I had a GR CM ask me "what was wrong with me?". I am sure that is not what she was trained to do.

With so many disabilities that can't been "seen" how exactly is "seeing" the person that needs the GAC going to help?
The GAC is actually issued to the person with a disability, not to someone else in their party, so I can see why the CMs want to see the person. They can't 'see' most of the disabilities, but at least they can see that the person the GAC is being asked for actually exists (not exaggeration).

I am taking DD age 4 w/ autism on 6/9 to WDW. I got a GAC last December when we were there w/o a doctor's note...I feel like I should have one, but if the law says I don't have to, I'm not sure what I should do. If I have any trouble getting the GAC, will a note help? Or would it be better to just ask to speak to a manager at that point? DD cannot wait in lines longer than 15-20 minutes, lines that don't move (like for a show) or really hot/crowded rat-maze type lines. When she melts down we can expect screaming, kicking, hitting whatever is nearby (including people she doens't know)...how do I explain this to the CM? I am happy to use fastpasses, but if they run out or the time is too late for our schedule (she'll wear out after a few hours in the parks) what then? Help!

I cannot believe about the Epcot cast member who said the autistic child should "learn to wait"...ahh...if only autism were so easily fixed...that CM should be glad it wasn't me she/he was talking to...

The GAC is actually issued to the person with a disability, not to someone else in their party, so I can see why the CMs want to see the person. They can't 'see' most of the disabilities, but at least they can see that the person the GAC is being asked for actually exists (not exaggeration).

This is the reason. It's not the disability they need to see, it's just that they would like to see the person they are issuing the GAC to. It is nothing more than that and it's not a "power trip."

I cannot believe about the Epcot cast member who said the autistic child should "learn to wait"...ahh...if only autism were so easily fixed...that CM should be glad it wasn't me she/he was talking to...

yep, they better be glad that they weren't talking me either!! That is a horrible thing to say.

I am taking DD age 4 w/ autism on 6/9 to WDW. I got a GAC last December when we were there w/o a doctor's note...I feel like I should have one, but if the law says I don't have to, I'm not sure what I should do. If I have any trouble getting the GAC, will a note help? Or would it be better to just ask to speak to a manager at that point? DD cannot wait in lines longer than 15-20 minutes, lines that don't move (like for a show) or really hot/crowded rat-maze type lines. When she melts down we can expect screaming, kicking, hitting whatever is nearby (including people she doens't know)...how do I explain this to the CM? I am happy to use fastpasses, but if they run out or the time is too late for our schedule (she'll wear out after a few hours in the parks) what then? Help!

You should not have a problem at any Guest Relations, including Epcot. Just explain what you said above.

I know it was almost a year ago but we got DD's GAC in Epcot with no problems at all. The CM, a sweet young lady from Germany, was trained very well and we had no problems receiving the appropriate GAC stamps based on our DD's needs. DD did come with us to Guest Relations when it was issued, the line there was long and she did have a meltdown (sensory related) which may have helped???

I know it was almost a year ago but we got DD's GAC in Epcot with no problems at all. The CM, a sweet young lady from Germany, was trained very well and we had no problems receiving the appropriate GAC stamps based on our DD's needs. DD did come with us to Guest Relations when it was issued, the line there was long and she did have a meltdown (sensory related) which may have helped???

Proof that describing the needs accurately and having the person who's name will be on the GAC present offers no problems at all. :thumbsup2

Proof that describing the needs accurately and having the person who's name will be on the GAC present offers no problems at all. :thumbsup2

It sounds like it was the visual that helped in that person's case.

It sounds like it was the visual that helped in that person's case.

Partly but she was also 3 at that time and meltdowns at that age are common anyway. As her parents we were the only ones entirely aware the meltdown was related to her sensory issues due to the long line and lots of people waiting in a small room.

You really don't need to worry...a doctor's note is NOT needed...my son is severely autistic, and I brought him with me to Guest Relations....we did not have any problem(Epcot)....we received the appropriate GAC without any hassle & the CM didn't ask any questions. We used my DS' stroller as a wheelchair & received a sticker indicating that as well.

good luck & please let us know how your trip goes...:goodvibes

We were there in late April for the first time with DS5 (PDD-NOS-like, diagnosis right now it's just "anxiety"). We brought a doctor's note and the CM looked carefully at it.

However, when we walked through the turnstiles entering the park, there was a CM throwing sparkly mickey confetti. Of course, DS walked about 5 yards before he was in full magpie mode, collecting the confetti. DD needed to go to the bathroom, so my spouse stayed with DS and we agreed to meet at town hall to get the GAC. Sorry, I'm rambling, but my point is that I walked in and said "does my son need to be here for me to get the GAC? Because he's picking up confetti and it could be a while, though they will be here eventually." The CM gave me the GAC, though dear spouse and dear son appeared by the end of the process, so I'm not sure if he would have asked us to wait. I was surprised he didn't ask me to wait until DS arrived. I wouldn't want to do it without him being there at all, though DS's disability is often hard to perceive.

About the FP line, I read the back of the card and interpreted that as follows: at every ride we looked for a CM, and asked which entrance we should use. Unless the only CM was at the FP line (often the case), we would ask the CM at the regular line or at the FP machines. I felt like we should never expect to use the FP line, and actually went down there expecting to have a quiet waiting space to use (which actually would have been nice a few times when we were in overstimulation mode). In the end, the only hard part about the trip was LEAVING the park. Man, it's a tough series of transitions for a kid who doesn't like transitions (and wants to spend the rest of his life riding splash mountain).

Anyway, I'm deeply grateful for the GAC. I am very happy to provide whatever documentation they request, and while I understand the privacy issues, I hope they do whatever is needed to preserve this system that helped us have our best vacation ever after the hardest year so far in DS's life. :wizard:

Cate

As bad as this sounds, I am almost glad I physically look different physically where as my son is bi-polar which severe anxiety issues especially in areas with a lot of people who are shoulder to shoulder and he has severe

My mom took her kids and grandkids on a 'trip of a lifetime'. It was important he go (important to my mom). He probably would have stayed home otherwise.closterphobic issues when around people. Even a mall is sheer hell for him. Which stinks. And heaven forbid we want to drive to LA from AZ. He can not stand being in a small car for long periods of time.

We had no problems in DL a little over a year ago. He wasn't even with me when I went in. They some how put FP on his GAC (it was over Christmas/New Years time) which made it so much easier for him. I want to say some how the GAC worked for the parades/fireworks but I can't remember now. We will most likely never go back :( not with him which makes me sad. Just because of his anxiety issues.

I live locally and am frequently at WDW. I get an updated GAC every 3 months (or so, depending on how long the last CM wrote the last one for). The GAC is for myself, and before we moved here, everytime I had to get a new GAC (we usually visited twice each year), I'd work myself up into such a frenzy of the dread of explaining my needs that I was usually a visually mental wreck. I was unsure of what I needed to prove my needs that I went overboard with doc letters, veteran's disability cards, and a large ziplock bag full of meds were usually dumped out on the counter in front of the CM. Fortunately, I've learned a good routine and no longer carry letters and I do not dump my meds out on the counter. All I do is present my old card and ask for a replacement. I tell them I need it for as long as they can write it for so I don't have to keep bugging them because I'm a "local" and I visit on occassional weekends. It's now a stress-free process, however - I must admit that my favorite place to get my renewals is inside the MK.

For those of you who only make occassional visits, save your GAC for your next trip. It will likely make the process much easier the next time around.

As far as using alternate entrances, I used to ask "where do I go" at the ride entrances and that used to frustrate?? some CM's. I don't like explaining personal issues about what I need to a CM with a gazillion people around so now I just approach the CM at the fastpass line and I never have any problems. I carry my GAC in a ziplock bag to protect it from rain/dirt/water and rarely does a CM actually take the GAC from me and read it. The stamp is very clear and I guess I must just have a pleading look on my face to allow me to continue moving. There are "bumps in the road" on some days and usually they have to do with the rides without fastpass lines.

Why would you need more than one fastpass at a time? Just a question because I'm really not sure how this would make a difference...

For me, in crowded times, it is because we don't have enough hours in the park for all the FP times to come up. Our park days are usually limited to about 6 hours at most, and we never get an early start.

So say we arrive in Epcot at 11:00 am, and immediately get a FP to TT that is good starting at 1:00 to 2:00. I have to wait until 1:00 to get a FP for Soarin', and say that is good from 3:15 to 4:15. I can't get another FP for MS until 3:15 and say that isn't good until 5:00. We're now at 6 hours and probably ready to head out of the park for the day - possibly before that last FP time opened up. If there was a fourth ride we wanted to do, we wouldn't be able to wait. And the above scenario is probably unlikely (FP times being less than 2 hours after obtaining the FP) if it's very busy at all.

That said, we did do quite well without a GAC at all in Feb. this year. I try to go only during the least busy times, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter