New Restrictions to GAC - Our Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEM

DIS Veteran
We were at WDW from May 6-11. DS12 is on the autism spectrum and since 2001 we have requested a GAC for him. We also save each GAC from the previous year to show the CM at Guest Relations.

This year, we went to Guest Relations at Epcot, showed the CM our GAC, and he told us "this card is not to be used in the FastPass line". He then circled on the back where it said, card holder must OBTAIN a FastPass at attractions that use the FP system. This did put a damper on our touring style and I wonder if the recent abuses of the GAC, including ebay sales, have led to this change.

The CM was from France but it seemed he understood exactly what we were asking and what we needed.

I'm really sorry to hear this, MEM. We were in Disneyland two weeks ago, and the CMs were more accommodating than ever for us, so I'm hoping your experience was a fluke, not a new Disney-wide policy which hadn't caught up to DL. I guess I'll contact WDW to see if we should expect different treatment when we take the kids this fall.

That happened to us back in October. When we first arrived we got a GAC and the cm didn't do that but on the third day I had forgotten the GAC in the room and needed a replacement. The CM at MGM did the same, circled the back that said use fastpass when available.

I do not think it is a new rule, I think it is just the CM's interpretation of the rules.

When we got a GAC for DD in early April, the CM highlighted certain parts (including, where it says "This card is not meant to provide immediate access.")
We do get Fastpasses whenever possible (DH went ahead of the rest of us and got them, rather than have everyone go).

We have'nt been to disney since 2005 but I pulled out DS's gac from 2 trips that year and they both said the same thing .....(moderator removed wording)....... and on the back it says to obtain a fastpass for rides where available. We have at times used a fastpass and other times the cm's let us in with the GAC on the fast pass line. Maybe things are changing since then. But maybe if it's not too busy or it may depend on the CM working the ride if they will allow you to use the fast pass line. Did you try to use the fast pass line at any time with the pass? One of the reasons we won't go back to six flags is because of their disability pass is similar to the fast pass system and ds was getting confused and upset thinking we were going on a ride but then leaving and coming back in an hour or so. That just does'nt work with an autistic child.

If they are going to change things, then they need to also change the system to allow for more than one fastpass at a time.

If they are going to change things, then they need to also change the system to allow for more than one fastpass at a time.

Why would you need more than one fastpass at a time? Just a question because I'm really not sure how this would make a difference...

I have a feeling that CM's highlighting certain portions of the GAC were due to people either abusing or misinterpreting what the card is for and expecting to walk on all the attractions without a wait. I have trouble with using fastpass also as I don't have the stamina or battery power on all my equipment to get the fastpass, go to another area, then come back later, usually having to traverse too much distance. While sometimes there's a CM to help people at the fastpass kiosk, sometimes it's hard to find someone so another issue is the physical ability to use the kiosk. I would think this issue would be much more difficult for someone with an invisible disability as usually when CM's can visualize my level of impairment they are very accomodating. There are so few attractions that are accessible to me that it's not an issue ( when I had a certain GAC to allow quicker access, I never, ever used it) but for others it could be a significant challenge. ---Kathy

Why would you need more than one fastpass at a time? Just a question because I'm really not sure how this would make a difference...

Let's say I have a 12pm fp for Space Mountain, but it's only 11am. Isn't it true that I can't get another fp until after 12pm? If I'm wrong, someone correct me because there are times we go without a fp because the return times are a couple of hours away and I thought we couldn't get another fp until then.

Let's say I have a 12pm fp for Space Mountain, but it's only 11am. Isn't it true that I can't get another fp until after 12pm? If I'm wrong, someone correct me because there are times we go without a fp because the return times are a couple of hours away and I thought we couldn't get another fp until then.
It may or may not be true.
When you get your Fastpass, there will be a time listed on it when you can get another Fastpass. That is sometimes not until after you use the first Fastpass. Sometimes it's earlier. So, if you got your Fastpass for Space Mountain at 9 am, you might be able to get another Fastpass at 11am.

That's for the most part correct, but there are other non-fastpass rides that you could do in the meantime.. I'm just not seeing how having 3-4 fastpasses for different rides at once would help.

It would be nice if you could use the GAC like a fastpass though if that's what you need it for.

It just becomes so difficult zig zagging through the park to get to non-fast pass rides with small lines or lines not deemed as threatening to my autistic children. There are a lot of rides that they won't go on, depending on the type of line.

This is why we get to the park before it opens. This way we can get on all of the rides and are out of there within 4 hours. Believe me, it is so hard to get to the parks that early though, because we are from the West Coast and that time change is brutal at first.;)

It would be nice if we could get a couple of fast passes on our way back to the hotel so we can return later in the day.

Sorry to hear of GAC changes for your trip. We didn't have any problem at all during our 4/15 - 4/22 trip. The CMs recognized our card and we were accomomdated....As someone posted earlier, some of our kids just don't get it - to go to a ride for a fast pass doesn't work for my DS - he wants to go on the ride! :)

I have had mixed experiences with this very issue.
When we feel we need to use our GAC I approach the CM working at the entrance and politely ask where we are supposed to go; on some occasions I have been told to get a FP, and I have also been told to go in the FP line entrance, and I have also been told to use the wheelchair entrance. I think it depends on the CM - but I will say that I have always found most every CM (so far) to be helpful and accommodating. We don't always use the GAC but when it is needed it is a godsend for our little one (and all others who are around us too ;))

I actually got a GAC today at Epcot. I have to say the CM issuing it did not know what she was doing. She asked me "what was wrong with me" before she would issue anything. I found the whole thing embarassing. She had me spell my name three times and asked so many (personal)questions, I almost expected her to stamp my forehead instead of the card! She did not circle anything or explain anything. I was so upset after getting the card, we left the park.

I have had mixed experiences with this very issue.
When we feel we need to use our GAC I approach the CM working at the entrance and politely ask where we are supposed to go; on some occasions I have been told to get a FP, and I have also been told to go in the FP line entrance, and I have also been told to use the wheelchair entrance. I think it depends on the CM - but I will say that I have always found most every CM (so far) to be helpful and accommodating. We don't always use the GAC but when it is needed it is a godsend for our little one (and all others who are around us too ;))
Some of that probably also has to do with what I called "attraction considerations" on the disABILITIES FAQs information about GACs.

For livndisney, sorry about your experience.

Additional note; it is not clear from the OP in this thread whether or not the child with the foot injury had any other situations that were reflected in the need for a GAC (for example, a need to have the foot elevated, which would make the wheelchair harder to get around the regular line). From what the OP (who was the child's parent) wrote, it appeared to be just a child with an injury, using a wheelchair.

I actually got a GAC today at Epcot. I have to say the CM issuing it did not know what she was doing. She asked me "what was wrong with me" before she would issue anything. I found the whole thing embarassing. She had me spell my name three times and asked so many (personal)questions, I almost expected her to stamp my forehead instead of the card! She did not circle anything or explain anything. I was so upset after getting the card, we left the park.

Hi, I am the OP on this thread and the CM at Epcot asked DH "why" DS needed the GAC. DH tried to explain about autism and waiting in long lines and melt-downs and the CM basically said DS needs to learn to wait "like everyone else". Clueless. Next time DH wants to get our GAC at MK because the CMs there seem to understand better.

BTW, using the FastPass system worked fairly well for us, especially since DH and I sat out on a lot of rides so DS and DD could use our FPs and ride them twice without much wait. However, rides without FP, like PotC, had lines of 25 minutes or longer and when we went to the alternate entrance, we were told "only for guests in wheelchairs". DS nearly melted down in that queue, complaining, there are "101 people here today".

DH did try to use the GAC in the FP line at Soarin' - he said the CMs studied both sides of the GAC VERY carefully and finally said "okay".

I just wanted to warn folks that there may be changes coming - this is the first time in six years of using the GAC that we had any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter