New Restrictions to GAC - Our Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't been to Disney is a few years and never actually got a GAC since my DD uses a wheelchair. The CM would come up to us. If I remember correctly, some of the rides that offered FP still pulled out wheelchair guests and had us go into a different line. Have they changed things?

I don't really know if things have changed. But, I do know that there are a few attractions at the MK where we got pulled out of the Fastpass line and sent another route. This used to frustrate me because then we'd get to the front and the next cm didn't know that we'd gotten fastpasses so they'd make us wait as if we'd been in the regular line. Now, we just make a point of only going on them when the standby line is short. Attractions that come to mind are BTMRR and Winnie the Pooh. TT at Epcot is difficult too. They wouldn't let us take the w/c into the regular lines. But they did give us two passes for expedited access on another day since the fastpasses were all gone. (Although, when I rode it myself in the single rider line I saw other people with a w/c in the line. So, maybe it was something about the day.)

Okay, I think I will get flamed here, but to me the focus, even with the law, is on "equal". Too many times people see the the GAC as unlimited access. I have read that with fast passes, "we can only get one at a time". Well, that is equal to what everyone else gets.

Last trip, we saw a family, "lap" us four times on RnR in MGM. That is while we waited in line, we saw the same family go on with a GAC 4 times. The last time, a group of teens, very obviously not with them, followed them on, told the CM "we are with them" and went on. We were next in the regular line, so we followed the teens. At no time, did they talk or communicate with the family that was using the GAC. Without getting into specifics, it was very visable they were not with the family. I don't think the family even knew the teens used them to get through the fast pass line (something to look out for when using a GAC). So, abuse is evident.

I don't know why Disney can't do something like a golden fast pass, where a GAC allows access to a ride once, and then if you want to go on again, get normal fast passes. Right now, the current set-up just asks to be abused. Or use a bar code system (supposedly Disney got a patent on a system that can do just this last year) to allow certain access. On our last trip, I saw people handing off GAC's to strangers when they were leaving the park. What made me sick was we would be standing in line with very, very disabled children in wheelchairs in the regular line, and I wanted to explain to their parents that their were other alternatives, but regretfully, minded my own business.

Before you flame me, I have a child with disabilities although we don't look at it that way. We deal with epilepsy among other things, and the effects of the drugs to try to control seizures, so I know what a lot, although not all, of what everyone on here goes through. But more than anything, I want my child to be treated like normal...by her peers, at school....and at Disney. For us, that means getting a fast pass like everyone else. While her neurologist gave normal warnings about our trip this summer (stay hydrated, out of the sun, lots of rest, medication, not over doing it, not quite sure about the strobe lights yet but last EEG show that strobes are probably not a trigger of spikes and waves for her) we don't plan on getting a GAC (now if my daughter went into full gran-mal seizure mode that would possible change, but I am not anticipating that). If we don't get everything in during this trip due to fatigue, so be it. On past trips, before her diagnosis, we never got everything in as well. It is a natural part of a Disney vacation. Normal families sometimes only get in a few rides in a day, without disabilities. Regardless for us, it will still be the vacation that we are all dreaming about.

I cringe when I read about people wanting GACS for migraines, etc (my DH gets a migraine every day, does that mean we should skip lines?) If the access gets too broad in base, then ultimately I think it will eventually limit the people who need it the most. I always think about all our trips to Children's Hospital in Pitt. While I would be upset due to my daughter's condition, we would always see so many children that had it so, so much harder that she, on feeding tubes or ventilators, and severely disabled, and it would make me ashamed for feeling sorry for ourselves for the little strife that we had to put up with due to epilepsy. And to me, these are the children that need and deserve to be given unlimited access, whether Make-a-Wish or not. Whether or not everyone wants to admit it, there is a difference.

As far as others "piggybacking". I've had people try but it's not easy for them to do it to me. The CM's are supposed to look at the number of people on the GAC. They are also human and they get busy so I ALWAYS look them in the eye--even if they have already waved me in, I wait to get their attention (please excuse me for holding up the line until I am sure I have their attention) and repeat the number of people in my party (usually 2). I say something like "There are only the two of us today".

If I see someone with a very obvious disability ,and I can do it without having a hundred people within earshot, I will explain that GR has an assistance card and briefly explain they can go to GR and explain their needs. I NEVER indicate what types there are or give them any verbiage to use. I think GR will be able to assist them by having both the visual of the person and their explanation. I believe that is part of the magic of Disney--helping everyone have a wonderful experience.

I have heard people on here talk about using their GAC to go in the fast pass line. I didn't think this was supposed to be done. My husband is confined to a wheelchair and the one year we did bother to get a GAC, it certainly never got us to the ride/attraction any faster. We always waited in either the regular line or the wheelchair line, where we had to wait sometimes longer for an accessible vehicle. I never once thought we could use the GAC to go in the fastpass line. Is this allowed?

I have heard people on here talk about using their GAC to go in the fast pass line. I didn't think this was supposed to be done. My husband is confined to a wheelchair and the one year we did bother to get a GAC, it certainly never got us to the ride/attraction any faster. We always waited in either the regular line or the wheelchair line, where we had to wait sometimes longer for an accessible vehicle. I never once thought we could use the GAC to go in the fastpass line. Is this allowed?

From my understanding it depends on your needs and what your GAC has stamped on it. Since wheelchairs are allowed into regular lines, there are usually no other accomodations made. I THINK that going through the fastpass line is for guests who have stamina or sensory issues, or are otherwise unable to wait in the regular lineups. Although, of course if you have a fastpass for the ride you would be allowed into the fastpass line. Basically, I think it's on a case by case basis determined by the person's needs.

From my understanding it depends on your needs and what your GAC has stamped on it. Since wheelchairs are allowed into regular lines, there are usually no other accomodations made. I THINK that going through the fastpass line is for guests who have stamina or sensory issues, or are otherwise unable to wait in the regular lineups. Although, of course if you have a fastpass for the ride you would be allowed into the fastpass line. Basically, I think it's on a case by case basis determined by the person's needs.
::yes::
That is correct.

I am going to close this thread for the weekend. I might re-open it on Sunday or Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter