New poly tower, restrictions or no?

@dvcdudes

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

Reading lots on here about the new DVC poly tower and I'm intrigued over what everyone's thoughts are on whether it will have restrictions or not?

1) Appreciate RIV has restrictions as a new resort.
2) Cabins at fort wilderness have restrictions as an addition to an existing resort.
3) VGF don't have restrictions at an existing resort.

I feel like it could go either way?

Nobody knows the answer to this except for apparently some executives at Disney who don't yet deem us deserving of the answer. We should wait like good boys and girls until they're good and ready to tell us.

hmm what makes you think that? I feel like it makes sense. Not sure why they would put the cabins down as restricted though
Poly tower is an add-on to an existing condo association, whereas the cabins are a new resort (or trust, or whatever it is). With the Polynesian tower being part of the original Polynesian DVC resort, I think it makes sense for simplicity reasons to not distinguish between owners, especially since many existing poly owners will likely add-on to their existing ownership.

They have said that the current plan was to add to PVB, but did use the words as of right now.

If they follow through with that, and add it to the existing condo association under the same vacation plan with all the same rules, it won’t have them.

But, now that the cabins are being sold differently via trust use plan…which could be just for them…I think their are potential options we don’t expect.

So, until we see the officials filings, I’d say it’s leaning no.

I would hope that Disney will remove all restrictions if they do add the Tower like they did with BRK. I see BPK as a negative for original VGF owners and the Tower a positive for Original PVB owners. It will be a no go for me if it is the same association.

Last edited:
Best response is none of us truly have any idea.

In 2019 Disney said they'd changed the product and members required points purchased from Disney to stay in future DVC developments.

Then covid.

Following Covid, their next resort Reflections (which would have been restricted) was cancelled and Disney quickly flipped Big Pine Key at Grand Floridian, placing into the existing unrestricted trust. They were upfront about this on day one that it wouldn't be restricted.

We are now in a situation where Disney have sold two further restricted properties and all we can do is speculate on Disney's business plan. I speculate they don't have a solid business plan and are reactive.

What does this mean for Poly 2 restrictions? If they include Polynesian tower in the original association the bulk of the membership will be elated. Those of us that have bought Riviera, Villas at Disneyland Hotel and Cabins may perceive Disney to have been underhanded or misleading as Disney stated members needed developer points to stay at future developments.

Personally, I believe Disney need to pick a lane as they are becoming convoluted and confusing the heck out of consumers. Either make everything restricted or remove them.

Last edited:

In 2019 Disney said they'd changed the product and members required points purchased from Disney to stay in future DVC developments.

Then covid.

Following Covid, their next resort Reflections (which would have been restricted) was cancelled and Disney quickly flipped Big Pine Key at Grand Floridian, placing into the existing unrestricted trust. They were upfront about this on day one that it wouldn't be restricted.

We are now in a situation where Disney have sold two further restricted properties and all we can do is speculate on Disney's business plan. I speculate they don't have a solid business plan and are reactive.

What does this mean for Poly 2 restrictions? If they include Polynesian tower in the original association the bulk of the membership will be elated. Those of us that have bought Riviera, Villas at Disneyland Hotel and Cabins may perceive Disney to have been underhanded or misleading as Disney stated members needed developer points to stay at future developments.

Personally, I believe Disney need to pick a lane as they are becoming convoluted and confusing the heck out of consumers. Either make everything restricted or remove them.
I totally agree about Disney needing to pick a lane as it does all feel very reactive...

I am dubious that the tower will open this side of new year. I think we will receive information on association/price/dues in the winter - maybe in line with year end...

Most people can probably grasp "brand new resorts like RIV and CFW will be restricted, but add-on points at existing resorts, like VGF2 and PVB2, will be treated identically to the existing points at those resorts".

Most people can probably grasp "brand new resorts like RIV and CFW will be restricted, but add-on points at existing resorts, like VGF2 and PVB2, will be treated identically to the existing points at those resorts".

Except it was not promoted as “brand new resorts”…it was all future ones

We can continue to discuss the semantics of Poly tower but the fact remains they kept it as a secret for 21 months as to what way it was leaning.

So, DVD purposefully did not want people to now it would be an “add on” vs fall under the umbrella as new.

Had they done it from the beginning like VGfF, then maybe but it’s a flip flop strategy because when restrictions happened, there was no plan or inkling we’d see “add ons” vs new as Reflections was on the books.

Except it was not promoted as “brand new resorts”…it was all future ones

We can continue to discuss the semantics of Poly tower but the fact remains they kept it as a secret for 21 months as to what way it was leaning.

So, DVD purposefully did not want people to now it would be an “add on” vs fall under the umbrella as new.

Had they done it from the beginning like VGfF, then maybe but it’s a flip flop strategy because when restrictions happened, there was no plan or inkling we’d see “add ons” vs new as Reflections was on the books.
Well, no offense @Sandisw , but can you really take the guides at their word?

I mean when we bought our first contract back in 2007, the guide played up the fact that if we ever needed to sell our contract, we could sell it and whoever bought it would have full access to the program, just like we did, so the value of our contract would hold up well. Was the guide lying then?

I think that you have changes over time, and they just go by what they have before them at the time.

Then covid.

I purchased my VGF during the summer sale because I perceived that I was going to need developer points to stay in new construction. I certainly didn’t do it for the Epcot lounge. Did I misunderstand the restriction? Probably … but that’s on me I guess. I got a great price, we have a stay booked next month at Riviera, I used the 11 month privilege to score a great holiday reservation at VGF to enjoy with my family, so I have absolutely no regrets about the purchase. However, that’s only because the summer sale price was so low, I think it was less than my poly resale price. Now it’s just a waiting game to see which points will work when in the Tower, and how access to the amenities will work. If I can stay in a longhouse and still have access to the new themed splash area … I may not even bother buying new points.

There's a certain sect that this really really really matters to and I don't get it.

You bought direct, you have no issues with ANY resort now or going forward.

Just because they are choosing to add on to existing resorts and allowing post 2019 resale the ability to book there shouldn't make you feel bad about your purchase. Or think that DVC got one on you.

Whatever the next new additional and not tied to an existing DVC resort is, it will be restricted and lowly resale post 2019 folks wont have access. It'll probably be Reflections 2.0 a Lakeside Lodge and Cabins if I had to bet.

There's a certain sect that this really really really matters to and I don't get it.

You bought direct, you have no issues with ANY resort now or going forward.

Just because they are choosing to add on to existing resorts and allowing post 2019 resale the ability to book there shouldn't make you feel bad about your purchase. Or think that DVC got one on you.

Whatever the next new additional and not tied to an existing DVC resort is, it will be restricted and lowly resale post 2019 folks wont have access. It'll probably be Reflections 2.0 a Lakeside Lodge and Cabins if I had to bet.
I think you already know the answer as you said it yourself - some will want to feel better about their restricted direct purchase. Others will want to know how/if their existing poly points are affected if it’s part of the same association, etc etc.

For me, I’m more along the lines of what Royal Consort said. I’d like Disney to pick a lane and have some consistency.

I’d like Disney to pick a lane and have some consistency.
Does anyone really believe this will happen regardless of the trust, Poly, Reflections 2.0, etc?

Roughly 2019, Riviera started resale restrictions.
In 2024, a trust was introduced with lots of unknowns.
What happens when Iger is officially retired and the next CEO comes in?
What happens if Peltz is successful in splitting Disney into 3 companies?

Roughly a decade before Riviera, valet parking was taken away.
Somewhere between valet parking being taken away, Disney introduced blue cards where many of us were grandfathered in, but new buyers had to purchase ___ points direct.

That's 15 years of Disney changes to the system.

Well, no offense @Sandisw , but can you really take the guides at their word?

I mean when we bought our first contract back in 2007, the guide played up the fact that if we ever needed to sell our contract, we could sell it and whoever bought it would have full access to the program, just like we did, so the value of our contract would hold up well. Was the guide lying then?

I think that you have changes over time, and they just go by what they have before them at the time.

I am not talking guides. I am talking the message from DVD and the way the POS was written. It uses the word future.

DVD was free to do what they want but no matter what they have decided to flip flop the decisons.

I think with BPK, you could semi excuse it because of what it is…

This was different and they let people believe it was potentially going to be restricted as that is the message shared

I just don’t agree that it’s been a consistent message. It has not been.

But, as I told the guides today at RIV…who would not confirm the decision is final…thst is just means I am not buying it. Lol

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter