New pamphlet handed out yesterday...3/3/2012

I am hoping that we can all agree that this would be a good thing.

While it appears that everyone on this site is cautious and mindful of others there are people that need this reminder.

If Disney wants to take the time to hand these flyers out to all guests so that the ones that need it get it without feeling discriminated against, I would LOVE to be handed a flyer that doesn't pertain to me.

Cathy

It is a good idea to hand out fliers to everyone but you will get that one guest who will follow an ECV user to catch them making a mistake and point to the pamphlet And make it worse. Because some guest have nothing better to do then make other guest have a bad day instead of the dirty looks they will now have a piece of paper to refer to.just think how many guest will go to guest services and say I saw this many guest in ECV today breaking the rules in e pamphlet and no one did anything now give me a fast pass. I do agree if they give it to one guest in a ECV/ wheelchair then they need to give them all one not saying they need to but at least it will be fair and not like they are singling anyone out. It not like a cm saw the op do something wrong and this is Disney way of giving a waring she was entering the park and giving one. They should just put them at guest services and so if a guest wants one it their choice to go and get one.

It is a good idea to hand out fliers to everyone but you will get that one guest who will follow an ECV user to catch them making a mistake and point to the pamphlet And make it worse. Because some guest have nothing better to do then make other guest have a bad day instead of the dirty looks they will now have a piece of paper to refer to.just think how many guest will go to guest services and say I saw this many guest in ECV today breaking the rules in e pamphlet and no one did anything now give me a fast pass. I do agree if they give it to one guest in a ECV/ wheelchair then they need to give them all one not saying they need to but at least it will be fair and not like they are singling anyone out. It not like a cm saw the op do something wrong and this is Disney way of giving a waring she was entering the park and giving one. They should just put them at guest services and so if a guest wants one it their choice to go and get one.

And as a guest of the Parks, I don't want to pay more for my pass each year because people feel that it would be more fair to give the ECV directed pamphlet to everyone or no one. But given the choice, I would rather have the people that need to read it have it. So, I will accept the costs involved to give one to each and every person to avoid the cry of profiling.

And where did I say that I would use my pamphlet to procure a free FastPass? That goes to your mindset, not mine.

Cathy

And as a guest of the Parks, I don't want to pay more for my pass each year because people feel that it would be more fair to give the ECV directed pamphlet to everyone or no one. But given the choice, I would rather have the people that need to read it have it. So, I will accept the costs involved to give one to each and every person to avoid the cry of profiling.

And where did I say that I would use my pamphlet to procure a free FastPass? That goes to your mindset, not mine.

Cathy

no i was not talking about you at all i was saying their are guest out their that would do that i know your not one. your right they should give it to everyone to make it fair i was just pointing out that their are some guest that would turn this around and give guest in ecv a harder time.

I don't deny or have problems with saying that there are safety issues, just with the way that the pamphlet was handed out. It is 'window dressing' to be able to say 'see, we are doing something', but it's really doing absolutely nothing.

I think a pamphlet like that SHOULD be handed out when people rent a park rental ECV, along with some diagrams that show helpful things like how to adjust the speed, how to turn the seat, how to put it in and out of freewheel for pushing. As I mentioned before, DH and I have shown many people over the years how to adjust from Rabbit to Turtle.

Handing a pamphlet out to only ECV/wheelchair users as they come in is only addressing a tiny part of the problem, and not addressing it in an effective way.
There needs to be a general manners/behavior pamphlet for all guests, not just a tiny subset that people are mad about.
Many of the safety issues are caused by people OTHER than the user of the wheelchair or ECV. Those people need instructions on how to behave around ECVs and wheelchairs to avoid putting themselves or the users in danger.
People using strollers don't usually hurt others badly, but I have had my heels skinned badly more than once by someone who hit me repeatedly with their stroller. But, there would be a general outcry if they handed out a similar pamphlet, aimed only at stroller users.

I know each time there is a thread about ECVs on the Theme Parks Board, MANY people have misconceptions about how ECVs work and DO need some instruction.
They think someone using one can step on the brakes to make it stop; they don't understand about following distance and don't understand that a device like that needs space in front of them to make a turn (actually a 5 foot diameter circle!). People see a space in line in front of a wheelchair or ECV and fill it in, not realizing that they have gotten into the 'safety zone'.

I also think many of the off-site companies are negligent in the way they rent out ECVs (YES, I am using that word). You call and arrange for one, it is delivered to Bell Services before you arrive, you get it from Bell Services.
No instructions, no making sure the person knows how to use it safely if they have never used one before.
No making sure that the person actually read the rental agreement where it says the renter will not allow children to drive it and no passengers - only one person (the driver) on the ECV. There was even one company that In the past encouraged people renting their ECVs to let their children/grandchildren hop on to ride.

I've also seen people driving who should not be - if Grandma is blind or has Alzheimer's and she's not trusted to drive a car, she should not be driving an ECV. Same, someone who is on pain medication that is making them 'loopy' - if you would not drive a car that way, you should not be driving an ECV either.

Disney does have policies to deal with these things, but if no one enforces them, a policy is only worth the paper it is written on.
I've seen WDW staff stop people many times and tell them to stop what they are doing:
- someone speeding
- someone holding a child on their lap who almost ran into something
- someone who was actually letting their child sit on their lap and drive the ECV
- and a man (Grandpa type) who was actually driving with a child on his lap and purposely running into a woman (? Grandma) repeatedly from the back for the child's amusement

All those people were:
- behaving in dangerous ways that are covered/prohibited by Disney policy
- warned by a CM
- stopped doing what they were warned about, but then went back to doing it once the CM was out of view

Those are the types of people causing most of the problems (those who don't feel the rules apply to them). A pamphlet is not going to help (heck, even a personal interaction telling exactly what they need to stop doing didn't stop them). What they need is some kind of a 'ticket' system where those guests get a warning and the next person who stops them has access to that information, so they can do something more about it.

:thumbsup2

All this fuss seems this is a bit over the top.(and please dont tell me I dont understand becuase I helped my Mom for years with her wheelchair and then EVC, cuase she would say anything that makes things safer is fine by her!) All that has been done here is offering a pamphlet to people operating a *motorized vehicle* in a crowded public place.

This is becuase SOME of the people operating the *motorized vehicles* are not trained or expreinced in used the *motorized vehicles*.

No one is saying you cannot use the EVC or restricting where you can use it as most of the folks using them need them, and have every right to use them.

Where is it well known that the ECV accidents are caused by both walking people and the operators of the EVCs. Since some are not exprienced or trained, I don't see the issue with simply handling out a hamphlet...if you already know the safe and correct way to operate the EVC...then throw the thing away,end of story. But a little education on the behalf of the people operating a motorized velicle may prevent accidents.

We could just open a really big can of worms and reqiure a license to operate a EVC!, not what I would think is a good alturnative.

JMHO

AKK

Ok....I get what you're saying here, but if I would have actually TAKEN the advice on the pamphlet, I wouldn't have gotten too far in the park. It was totally rediculous to hand them out to people in chairs. The rental ones, yea I can understand, most of those people don't use their chair in every day living. you can usually tell which ones are rented, and which ones aren't. The rental ones usually have the name of the rental place on it somewhere. LOOK at the scooter or chair. Mine you can tell it's mine. It's painted.

scooters are not the only ones with the issues. My son has had his ankle sprained by a stroller. I've almost been knocked down by strollers when I was walking in the parks. Where is their pamphlet? That's my point. I did not like being singled out because I was in a chair. Disney is usually the best in the business in dealing with disabilities, but this one has big ol fat FAIL on it.

Let me preface this by saying that ECVs make the whole world more accessible to everyone. I've seen people who never could have done WDW before enjoying themselves, alone, or with their families and, as the mom of a child who uses a lot of other technology to make his life better, I think that it's wonderful that lots of people benefit so greatly to so many amazing devices we have at our disposal. This is not a bashing of ECV users.

But a small 2 cents from someone who HAS been bumped from behind while at a quick service line by an ECV with a driver who admitted to me that she had never driven one before that very day:

I would say that if you're already operating the ECV carefully then you should actually be thanking Disney for doing something about all the people who don't. THEY are the ones who are tainting the perception of ECV users. Just a quick read on the theme park boards and you all know what that perception is. It's not pretty. I don't have to tell you all that.

The folks here, reading this board, are NOT the people who need the pamphlet. We all could talk about the fairness of this till we're blue in the face (and it's probably not fair, at all) but the people who need to see those pamphlets are not here. And there are lots of people who need to see those pamphlets (walkers as well...for sure, stroller pushers too) But because of the very nature of the ease of rental and the fact that ECVs have opened the world to so many people, there are people who really really NEED to see those warnings.

I don't get offended when I walk into a restroom and see signs that say "dispose of sharps properly". I know that I do it already, but I do know that there are PLENTY of people who do not. PLENTY. Does it bother me that there is a big honking sign telling me what to do about my child's disease? not really. I don't take it as an automatic assumption that "I" will be doing something wrong. I do know that if people start dumping their test strips and syringes all over the park that it will look bad for all of us so I'm happy that places have these gentle reminders for the ignorant.

That said..a normal walking speed in Disney is probably only 2.5-3 mph, maybe 4 if you're trying to get somewhere quickly? ECVs can go WAY faster than that. Perhaps there should be a limit on speed?

I wouldn't mind if they had these rules written on the rental scooters. That's fine. But to single me out just because I'm in a chair? Not fine.
My chair has a max speed of 4mph. I do not do that speed because my guys don't walk that fast. I keep up with them. Signs in public places are for EVERYONE.....not just one group of people. Everyone can see it, and it's not picking one group of people over another. That's where the issue is.

I agree with your post. It seems to be just a general reminder of proper etiquette of using an ECV while on Disney property. If you know how to properly handle yourself and the equipment then it shouldn't be a problem or cause you concern. Just take it and go on with your day. However, if you do not frequently use an ECV, hopefully, it will at least temporarily make you think about how to properly use it and might make you think a little more.

On my last trip, we had just sat down on the bus when an ECV user came up to the bus stop. The driver got out and put down the ramp for her. He was trying to give her instructions on how to get up the ramp and onto the bus safely. I was sitting near the door and could hear everything that he was saying. Unfortunately, this person was not listening. She "hit the gas" and her ECV literally jumped up the ramp onto the bus and proceeded to go across the aisle, hit the side of the bus and almost knocked herself off. The poor bus driver, who was holding onto the ECV at the time fell. He got back up and grabbed the ECV again and asked her if she could move to a seat while he positioned the ECV. Again, she didn't listen, and put the ECV in reverse. Almost knocking the driver over again. She kept pulling forward and reversing about 5 or 6 times hitting the side of the bus or another seat each time, all the while the driver was trying to get her to stop so that he could help her. It was a nightmare. She was lucky she didn't hurt herself or the bus driver. I have to commend the bus driver because he was very calm the whole time. He never once got upset. Once they finally got it straight, she and her family just laughed it off the rest of the drive about how she didn't know what she was doing "with that thing". They didn't even thank the driver for his assistance.

Sadly, its people like this person who give good, responsible ECV users a bad name. People don't remember the good drivers. Why? Because you don't notice them. They blend in with everyone else. People remember the bad ones because they cause the scene on the bus or run into you.

And yes, I do recognize that there are just as many rude walking guests as well. The ones that cut you off and look at you like you've done something wrong. Or the ones who use their strollers as weapons to clear a path for their family. The list can go on and on.

Unfortunately, society as a whole just seems to be getting more and more selfish. If more people would simply take a little time to show respect and good manners, it would be so much nicer. If you accidentally run into someone (walking, stroller, ecv, I don't care), just say I'm sorry and make sure they are okay. If you cut someone off, say excuse me.

I really don't see where I'm selfish because I'm offended by a stupid pamphlet. everyone has a story about bad ECV drivers, shoot, we do ourselves. We have stories about strollers, and cheerleaders, and brazilian tour groups, where's their pamphlets?? Shoot when I was a walker, I was almost knocked to the ground by a guy who shoulder swiped me trying to get out of MK before everyone else. Where's HIS pamphlet? The lady that walked into my chair when I was not moving and the chair was off....where's her pamphlet? IF they do this for one group, then do it for everyone. EVERYONE needs reminders of how to act from time to time. It shouldn't just be the scooter group. Where are the people that say "excuse me" when they cut ME off in my chair? That's where I'm coming from. If you're gonna do reminders like that, remind EVERYONE!!!!

I have, fortunately, never hit anyone with my ECV (and I use it daily at home.) I have had people at Disney & in the grocery store run into the side of it while I was stopped. While in a fast food line and one of them shouted to "just get the H*** out of the way." Uhh, I am in line, too...just like you want to be.

Because of all the people who mistakenly think using a mobility device is an automatic front of the line pass, people resent those needing one. The actuality is that I would give anything NOT to need it!

I have, fortunately, never hit anyone with my ECV (and I use it daily at home.) I have had people at Disney & in the grocery store run into the side of it while I was stopped. While in a fast food line and one of them shouted to "just get the H*** out of the way." Uhh, I am in line, too...just like you want to be.

Because of all the people who mistakenly think using a mobility device is an automatic front of the line pass, people resent those needing one. The actuality is that I would give anything NOT to need it!

:thumbsup2 I would love not to need one either!! I would also not like the stares, the comments, looking at people's butts. That's not fun either. I do like to tour WDW without worry that I'm gonna get hurt, or worse. I want to do my thing with whoever is with me, and have everyone else mind their own vacation. don't worry about me, that's the problem. Everyone is looking at everyone else thinking that they're getting somewhere before they are. That's society. It sucks, but that's how it is. I have educated a bunch of my friends on the whole scooter thing. They didn't realize what a pain it was until they toured with me. It's not a front of the line pass, it's not get there first and ahead of everyone else. It's not!! It's not a fun item either. But, it is a NEED. I'm not gonna let my disability keep me from doing the things I love. Period. The rules that were on that little piece of paper...wouldn't let us enjoy the parks. It would have us looking out for everyone else. I'm not gonna do that. I'm gonna look out for myself, and my friends around me. I'm not gonna hit anyone on purpose. If you're near me, I will see you. But I'm not gonna drive the other way because a walking person is coming right at me. Not gonna happen. I weave thru the crowds very well I think, and I'm not gonna stop my chair because someone is within 3 feet of me.

I really don't see where I'm selfish because I'm offended by a stupid pamphlet. everyone has a story about bad ECV drivers, shoot, we do ourselves. We have stories about strollers, and cheerleaders, and brazilian tour groups, where's their pamphlets?? Shoot when I was a walker, I was almost knocked to the ground by a guy who shoulder swiped me trying to get out of MK before everyone else. Where's HIS pamphlet? The lady that walked into my chair when I was not moving and the chair was off....where's her pamphlet? IF they do this for one group, then do it for everyone. EVERYONE needs reminders of how to act from time to time. It shouldn't just be the scooter group. Where are the people that say "excuse me" when they cut ME off in my chair? That's where I'm coming from. If you're gonna do reminders like that, remind EVERYONE!!!!

I apologize if my post was misleading. I wasn't calling you selfish because you were offended by the pamphlet. I was trying to infer that as a whole society has gotten a whole "look out for number one" attitude. We would all be better off if people would start being more courteous of each other. Trust me, I think that many, many people could be well served by reading a pamphlet on how to behave properly in public (and not just at Disney World). But really, isn't this something that you should already know? Disney shouldn't have to give people on how to behave like decent human beings.

I was just trying to say that if you are a responsible person and know how to properly use the equipment then you shouldn't be worried about the pamphlet. Its not intended for you. I really think that you are taking it much more personal than you should. If Disney were to give out pamphlets on how to "walk properly" or how to "properly operate a stroller" do you think I would be offended? No, because I know how to act and behave in public. If I accidentally run into someone, I apologize to them and don't blame them for my mistake. A non-disney example. My work (a professional office environment) recently had to create a dress code that included wonderful lines such "must wear undergarments underneath clothing", "must wear proper undergarments" and " can not wear clothing with holes". Ok, I'm 35 years old and I learned how to dress myself appropriately many years ago. Did I let the fact that I had to read this new dress code offend me? No, because I know it doesn't pertain to me. (Personally, I find it very sad. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it).

I'm sure this pamphlet is intended for the ones who don't know how to use the equipment. Let's face it, accidents can happen at anytime and any place. People can get injured in many different ways, but, an irresponsible operator of motorized equipment in a large group of people that doesn't know how to properly handle that equipment can cause serious injury to themselves and other. If this pamphlet makes some of those people stop and think about their actions and can prevent an injury then its worthwhile.

I would not have a problem with some signs with safety and courtesy for all guests.
Signs are not the same as individually handing out pamphlets to only guests in a certain category. If the security people doing bag checks were handing out pamphlets on sharps safety with 'here you need this' when they noticed insulin, syringes, etc. that would be a similar situation to handing out pamphlets on ECV safety to guests just because they are using a mobility device.

Who knows, this may have been a limited trial, a prelude to enforcing speed, passengers and reckless driving. I do think it is fair game to talk about.

Ok, I guess it wouldn't really bother me if they handed out a note when they checked our bags. At all. and I'm not just saying it to be contrary. Because I know that there are tons of people who toss their stuff everywhere. Case in point, when we had a large convention at Coronado everywhere I walked, inside and out, we saw used test strips littering the ground. So still, I wouldn't feel signaled out - we have a medical problem (which is mostly invisible except during bag check) which produces 'junk'. If disney wanted to remind people about proper disposal during the course of bag check, I would really not have an issue.

And thank you to everyone who mentioned the speed :) going off what someone else said I was thinking that all the ECVs go up to 5mph. Thanks for clarifying that.

As I was thinking about this more, what if they were thinking about implementing some sort of handouts for anyone who the CM spotted in an ECV or WC which detailed how those items are handled at each ride, where to go, who to talk to (you know, like 90% of the questions that get posted here....) And then included could be some safety tips. Would something like that have the same reaction?

I apologize if my post was misleading. I wasn't calling you selfish because you were offended by the pamphlet. I was trying to infer that as a whole society has gotten a whole "look out for number one" attitude. We would all be better off if people would start being more courteous of each other. Trust me, I think that many, many people could be well served by reading a pamphlet on how to behave properly in public (and not just at Disney World). But really, isn't this something that you should already know? Disney shouldn't have to give people on how to behave like decent human beings.

I was just trying to say that if you are a responsible person and know how to properly use the equipment then you shouldn't be worried about the pamphlet. Its not intended for you. I really think that you are taking it much more personal than you should. If Disney were to give out pamphlets on how to "walk properly" or how to "properly operate a stroller" do you think I would be offended? No, because I know how to act and behave in public. If I accidentally run into someone, I apologize to them and don't blame them for my mistake. A non-disney example. My work (a professional office environment) recently had to create a dress code that included wonderful lines such "must wear undergarments underneath clothing", "must wear proper undergarments" and " can not wear clothing with holes". Ok, I'm 35 years old and I learned how to dress myself appropriately many years ago. Did I let the fact that I had to read this new dress code offend me? No, because I know it doesn't pertain to me. (Personally, I find it very sad. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it).

I'm sure this pamphlet is intended for the ones who don't know how to use the equipment. Let's face it, accidents can happen at anytime and any place. People can get injured in many different ways, but, an irresponsible operator of motorized equipment in a large group of people that doesn't know how to properly handle that equipment can cause serious injury to themselves and other. If this pamphlet makes some of those people stop and think about their actions and can prevent an injury then its worthwhile.

If that was the case, then they should hand the pamphlet out to people renting the chairs/scooters. Even the rental companies should have one. Those seem to be the people who need to know that stuff, not people that enter the park using their own equipment. And yes, it is pretty apparent when it's a rental chair, or the person's own chair. That should be Disney's policy. My husband was offended as much as I was, and he's a walker!! His take was "why did they give this to you?" uh, cause the lady at the gate said I needed it because I was in a chair. Yes, she actually said that. That's what upsets me most, is being singled out. accidents happen, yes. You throw 20 or so THOUSAND people together, with different background, cultures etc, there's gonna be issues. Believe me when I say I've been thru just about everything at the parks, and this was the first time I was honestly offended, and the girl in GS just flat out made me mad. We have had bad food, bad rides, bad weather, everything. Most of the time I just let it go. This time, I just can't. Because it is personal. When the lady at the gate says "you get this because you're in a chair" that makes it personal.

If that was the case, then they should hand the pamphlet out to people renting the chairs/scooters. Even the rental companies should have one. Those seem to be the people who need to know that stuff, not people that enter the park using their own equipment. And yes, it is pretty apparent when it's a rental chair, or the person's own chair. That should be Disney's policy. My husband was offended as much as I was, and he's a walker!! His take was "why did they give this to you?" uh, cause the lady at the gate said I needed it because I was in a chair. Yes, she actually said that. That's what upsets me most, is being singled out. accidents happen, yes. You throw 20 or so THOUSAND people together, with different background, cultures etc, there's gonna be issues. Believe me when I say I've been thru just about everything at the parks, and this was the first time I was honestly offended, and the girl in GS just flat out made me mad. We have had bad food, bad rides, bad weather, everything. Most of the time I just let it go. This time, I just can't. Because it is personal. When the lady at the gate says "you get this because you're in a chair" that makes it personal.

I totally see where you are coming from if you were offended by the CM's actions. You can't read "tone" on a message board, but I can see where the "you get this because you're in a chair" line could come off as very insulting. Especially if there was a negative connotation in the way this person used the word "chair". This would upset me much more than being handed a piece of paper that I could just crumple up and throw away.

I believe that we are in agreement, that its mostly the rental ECV users that need this information more than anyone. I've never been with anyone that has rented one. So I can't say that I know the procedures, but if its not required, then I think that they should make the renters take some sort of driving test to prove they are capable of handling the equipment before they turn over the keys. To be honest, Disney is probably taking the easy way out of distributing the information. Its a lot easier to have a rule/policy that everyone in an ECV, WC, etc be given the information rather than try and distinguish rental versus personal equipment owner.

We all go to Disney to have fun and enjoy vacation. I just wouldn't let something like this bother me or let it ruin what I'm hoping was an otherwise good day. I am sorry though that it caused you to have a negative experience.

I totally see where you are coming from if you were offended by the CM's actions. You can't read "tone" on a message board, but I can see where the "you get this because you're in a chair" line could come off as very insulting. Especially if there was a negative connotation in the way this person used the word "chair". This would upset me much more than being handed a piece of paper that I could just crumple up and throw away.

I believe that we are in agreement, that its mostly the rental ECV users that need this information more than anyone. I've never been with anyone that has rented one. So I can't say that I know the procedures, but if its not required, then I think that they should make the renters take some sort of driving test to prove they are capable of handling the equipment before they turn over the keys. To be honest, Disney is probably taking the easy way out of distributing the information. Its a lot easier to have a rule/policy that everyone in an ECV, WC, etc be given the information rather than try and distinguish rental versus personal equipment owner.

We all go to Disney to have fun and enjoy vacation. I just wouldn't let something like this bother me or let it ruin what I'm hoping was an otherwise good day. I am sorry though that it caused you to have a negative experience.

Yes!! The rental ones should be the ones to get them. They are not everyday users of the chair. My mom uses a rental over there, and they basically hand her the keys, and "have a magical day" Sort of thing. She has the same disease that I have, just not as pronounced.

We entered at a low entrance time of day, so I didn't see any other chairs near me. Actually, I don't think there was anyone coming in behind us. We almost always use different turnstiles, to get in at the same time. I think my guys thinks it a game to them to get in first!! :lmao: I'm always last, cause it takes a little more time for them to scan my ticket, then turn the thingie, then open the gate. that doesn't bother me. I am in my chair all the time at Disney, with the exception of going to the bathroom, and on some rides. I do my best to be considerate, and I truly know I'm in the minority there!! :rotfl2:

I do wish they would stop people that rent mostly from Walker that let kids ride in their laps and drive the scooters. The craziest thing I saw was an older man in a rented scooter from Walker with a little boy around 3 riding on his shoulders. All I could think of was I hope that little boy doesn't fall and end up with a closed head injury or die.

On his shoulders? That is insane. However, I will say that multiple Disney CMs actually encouraged my family (on a trip that I wasn't on) to let a 2-year-old member of our family sit or stand on the floor between the scooter rider's legs during a trip instead of renting a stroller, including CMs at the rental areas. I'm not saying it's right, just that it happened. I think it would be more prudent to 1) enforce the rules that already exist and 2) have more CMs/security to play traffic cop and gently warn and remind ALL people no matter their mode of transportation - foot, stroller, or mobility device - to slow down, look around, and be courteous.

On his shoulders? That is insane. However, I will say that multiple Disney CMs actually encouraged my family (on a trip that I wasn't on) to let a 2-year-old member of our family sit or stand on the floor between the scooter rider's legs during a trip instead of renting a stroller, including CMs at the rental areas. I'm not saying it's right, just that it happened. I think it would be more prudent to 1) enforce the rules that already exist and 2) have more CMs/security to play traffic cop and gently warn and remind ALL people no matter their mode of transportation - foot, stroller, or mobility device - to slow down, look around, and be courteous.

Sasha, I've seen kids on shoulders, driving the scooter, and sitting in the basket!! :scared: it doesn't surprise me at all to hear the CM's actually saying that was alright. I have also seen CM's tell kids to get off. They do need to find a policy, and stick with it!! And everyone getting reminders, yea. That works. That's all I'm asking!!

I don't see why they didn't just update the Disability Guide with this information if they felt it was so important?

I am in agreement with those that think that they should hand out something about park courtesy to everyone including walkers and stroller people. After all, we all have to share the same space and scooter people certainly are not the entire problem.

One simple thing that I think would help a bit with rentals is for the people who bring them to you to turn down the speed all the way. I have never ever seen a rental that wasn't set to full speed. That is not a problem for an experienced rider, but it can be a big problem for a new rider. Just a thought.

2 quick questions, which I'm sure Cheshire Figment will be able to answer after Wednesday when he said he's working the entrance at AK:

1) Do we know for a fact that they are ONLY handing them out to people who drive in and not handing these out to people who pick up rentals in the park?

2) Do we know if it's a new policy, or a testing policy, or if something happened on that particular day that led to the hand outs?

Given I'm a scooter rider due to disabilities, this is very offensive to me. Why doesn't Disney pass out a brochure to ALL stating that the walkers need to be descent and let scooters go by without RUNNING IN FRONT OF THEM as they try to hurt themselves then blaming the scooter rider for the wrong doing. OMG!! I can't count how many people have tried to rush in front of me instead of letting me go by!!! I almost plowed in to a woman because SHE DID THIS. The walkers are RUDE to scooter and chair riders. A brochure needs to be handed out to ALL not just the scooter/chair riders.

I don't see why they didn't just update the Disability Guide with this information if they felt it was so important?

I am in agreement with those that think that they should hand out something about park courtesy to everyone including walkers and stroller people. After all, we all have to share the same space and scooter people certainly are not the entire problem.

One simple thing that I think would help a bit with rentals is for the people who bring them to you to turn down the speed all the way. I have never ever seen a rental that wasn't set to full speed. That is not a problem for an experienced rider, but it can be a big problem for a new rider. Just a thought.

2 quick questions, which I'm sure Cheshire Figment will be able to answer after Wednesday when he said he's working the entrance at AK:

1) Do we know for a fact that they are ONLY handing them out to people who drive in and not handing these out to people who pick up rentals in the park?

2) Do we know if it's a new policy, or a testing policy, or if something happened on that particular day that led to the hand outs?

Good points. It would be interesting to know.

Given I'm a scooter rider due to disabilities, this is very offensive to me. Why doesn't Disney pass out a brochure to ALL stating that the walkers need to be descent and let scooters go by without RUNNING IN FRONT OF THEM as they try to hurt themselves then blaming the scooter rider for the wrong doing. OMG!! I can't count how many people have tried to rush in front of me instead of letting me go by!!! I almost plowed in to a woman because SHE DID THIS. The walkers are RUDE to scooter and chair riders. A brochure needs to be handed out to ALL not just the scooter/chair riders.

:lmao: Yea, but it's always us scooter people that get bashed for hitting people. I know with me, 9 times outta 10 the bumps, or near hits are NOT my fault. But, of course people always LOOK at me like it was my fault. Go figure.

We don't know the answer to any of these.
I do know that someone on another board that I gave a heads up to was at Epcot yesterday evening (Sunday) and wrote that she did not get a pamphlet.

So, we don't know if it was a trial, was planned to be longer but got too many complaints, was meant to be handed out somewhere else or was due to an incident and was only ment for that day.

I would think the rental counter at the parks and bell services when people pick up their rental ECVs would be more appropriate than anyone in one entering the parks.

Denise in MI

Good points. It would be interesting to know.

:lmao: Yea, but it's always us scooter people that get bashed for hitting people. I know with me, 9 times outta 10 the bumps, or near hits are NOT my fault. But, of course people always LOOK at me like it was my fault. Go figure.

I think what happens a lot is that the standing person and the scooter driver judge the 'personal space' area differently. If I walk up behind someone I know what sort of personal space is comfortable. It is almost innate. We all do it, and we all know when we've been 'invaded'. But unless the scooter driver is so used to handling that scooter as an extension of his body I think that space issue is lost. A scooter can pull up, from behind, closer to a standing person and not feel like they're invading their space - because the rider is not physically close to the person they've just driven up behind. And the standing person knows that the rider is back there (because you usually know when someone is behind you) but given that we all anticipate a certain amount of 'space' we don't realize that the scooter has pulled up closer. So the standing person goes to move and ..whomp.. she bumps into the scooter. And ..who's fault is it really? Probably both. But neither intentional by any means and not because one wasn't paying attention to the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter