New pamphlet handed out yesterday...3/3/2012

Why can't they just put regular brakes on scooters? :confused3
See my explanation in post 217.

Even if they could, it would take longer to stop than the current way. The person would have to remove their hand from the throttle, and then activate the brake.
Considering inexperienced people in the parks have enough trouble stopping when the ECV does it automatically, adding a brake that needs to be activated would make even more near misses.

Okay. I have a little battery operated flashlight that, when I want light from it, I squeeze it. That signals the battery to engage (turn on) the light. When I don't need the light, I stop squeezing and the light immediately goes out. I don't need to take any other action - no switch, no button, no command. Just stop sending a signal to the battery that I need its power, and it stops providing [light].

The ECV battery works just like that, except the device and the battery are larger. Stop sending the signal you need the tires to proceed, the tires stop moving.

Okay. I have a little battery operated flashlight that, when I want light from it, I squeeze it. That signals the battery to engage (turn on) the light. When I don't need the light, I stop squeezing and the light immediately goes out. I don't need to take any other action - no switch, no button, no command. Just stop sending a signal to the battery that I need its power, and it stops providing [light].

The ECV battery works just like that, except the device and the battery are larger. Stop sending the signal you need the tires to proceed, the tires stop moving.

And releasing the throttle fully also activates the brakes automatically.

My chair does pretty good at stopping when I let go of the joystick, and can really stop quick if I go to reverse with the throttle. but, I do believe power chairs and scooters are different with the throttles.

Agree.
Nothing stops on a dime (those pesky rules of physics prevent it).

The ECV or power wheelchair brakes are on all the time unless the throttle is activated. That is why it doesn't roll or coast on hills when it is on, but the throttle is not activated.
Next time you have an ECV, try something. Turn it on, but keep your hand away from the throttle and try to push the ECV. You won't be able to because the automatic brakes are on.

So, it does have brakes, just not the same type as in a car, motorcycle or bicycle.

All new ECV's and Power wheelchairs have electric breaks on them. They are sort of like air breaks on trucks. With air breaks you need to keep the pressure in the system to keep the breaks from engaging. No pressure= breaks on. That's why you hear air escaping from trucks at stop signs.
With ECV/PWC once it no longer has power going to the motors the breaks automatically engage. On ECV/PW no power=breaks on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter