New MK Paid Disney After Hours Event Announced

Entertaining thread. Some people have great senses of humor LOL Like others when I heard about this, I just saw no value in it. I've spent on the Christmas and Halloween parties both because I thought it was a good value for smaller crowds, special fireworks and meet-n-greets. This is... nothing special. Free ice cream and soda? No thanks.I can spend $5.00 on an ice cream and soda which, by my math, is $145 less than $150.

Given the limited number of nights for this and how little advance warning there is, this looks like beta testing to me. Disney is market testing this concept and the response will dictate the future of this program. I think they picked a price intentionally high with no added benefits beyond the park being open to see exactly how much they can get away with in a "worst case" scenario. I think if this program becomes permanent it will ultimately be less expensive and have more perks, much like the Christmas and Halloween parties do now. Those events have been so successful, I think they want to mimic them on a yearlong basis but are looking for the "sweet spot" between admission and operating costs that make them the most money.

Given the limited number of nights for this and how little advance warning there is, this looks like beta testing to me. Disney is market testing this concept and the response will dictate the future of this program. I think they picked a price intentionally high with no added benefits beyond the park being open to see exactly how much they can get away with in a "worst case" scenario. I think if this program becomes permanent it will ultimately be less expensive and have more perks, much like the Christmas and Halloween parties do now. Those events have been so successful, I think they want to mimic them on a yearlong basis but are looking for the "sweet spot" between admission and operating costs that make them the most money.

We have a winner!:)

Well there's always one!

• I think this sounds like an excellent value for folks who may not visit often (or at all). From what I’ve read on this article, the event begins at park close, but you may enter beginning at 7pm. So you would get 6-7 hours with very short lines and unlimited ice cream and drinks… it would cost $40 more than a regular ticket and you could avoid the extremely crowded lines. Sounds cool. I also doubt that Disney will announce just how many people will be allowed in the event… theme parks don’t typically advertise their capacity.

Stephen Nelson on March 23, 2016 at 3:24 pm
How can they say 6-7 hours with short lines? I would expect everything to be super crowded until the official start of the event and that's only 3 hours.

The exact wording on the website is:

Interpret that as you will. There is room in there for it to be "unlimited" or there is room in there for them to say "one per customer".
I think by the way it sounds it will be unlimited drinks and ice cream.

It may be worth it if it is only like 2 people and the price included all day at MK, 2 quick service meals and plus a table service meal.

Last edited:

Can't believe it, this thread not only fell to the bottom of page 1, but was rapidly sliding down page 2. :faint:

Guess we got this increase all figured out, now on to the next? :laughing:

Can't believe it, this thread not only fell to the bottom of page 1, but was rapidly sliding down page 2. :faint:

Good god, the NEXT?! I'm not nearly recovered from this yet.:upsidedow

That's because everyone is on to the early morning paid event.

I am waiting for Disney to start charging to use the restrooms.

I am convinced that eventually they will shift to a per minute price plan. They will have you tracked via the magic bands (which will be mandatory at some point). They can actually charge surge pricing then based on time of day, day of week, and who knows, maybe even the particular ride...

So let's say EMH (morning and evening) become pay-to-play events. Outside of transportation to and from the airport, what's a valuable benefit of staying on-site?

One report going around from an unnamed board that at least one of the event nights had MK closing hours reduced from 12 AM to 10 PM the second the events were announced. If that's the case it would be either April 28 or May 5 (or both) as those are the only event nights with a 10 PM closing. More fuel for the fire.

Valuable benefit to staying onsite without EMH? Proximity. That'd be it. I guess that most Disney resort guests are interested in Disney resorts in the first place because of proximity, and not EMH.

Last edited:
So let's say EMH (morning and evening) become pay-to-play events. Outside of transportation to and from the airport, what's a valuable benefit of staying on-site?
Well depending on where you're staying I'd say proximity to the parks. I know I'm going to love being able to walk to epcot in 5 minutes from beach club this october.

Proximity and theming. At least for our family, it is really nice to be truly surrounded by everything Disney every minute of my trip. Unfortunately, all these price hikes in various areas really take away a lot of the magic for us. We usually go once a year for 10 days and it has just gotten insanely expensive. Shorter trips are not worth it to us as we like to take our time to enjoy each park, giving a minimum of two days to each one. If we have to rush through the parks to get them done in 4-5 days to save money, it diminishes the experience and isn't the same Disney trip we used to take, thus making me rethink future trips in general. I'm so sad about this, but have to be realistic. It's just so gosh-darn expensive and every aspect of it has gone up year after year after year.

We do not stay onsite for EMH, as we don't use them. We stay for transportation (DME, disney transport, walking, boating to parks), immersion, theming and vacation feelings :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter