New Credit Card Authorization Holds

If you charge more than $100 to your room in a single day, they will definitely put additional holds.

What I don't know is if these holds count towards your 8 transactions per month limit. It's possible they only count transactions that actually go through, and not the holds. You would have to call your bank to ask them.

Your other option would be to buy Disney gift cards before you leave home, and pay with those. Each gift card can hold up to $1000.

I'm quite certain that they count towards my 8 transactions per month limit. Sigh. As far as Disney gift cards, we do not have them or even Disney Stores in my part of Canada, so that's out. I think we're screwed and will just have to pay cash for everything. Total PITA. So Disney's bright idea of, "Magic Bands" is not so bright after all.

I'm quite certain that they count towards my 8 transactions per month limit. Sigh. As far as Disney gift cards, we do not have them or even Disney Stores in my part of Canada, so that's out. I think we're screwed and will just have to pay cash for everything. Total PITA. So Disney's bright idea of, "Magic Bands" is not so bright after all.
There's no place to buy Disney gift cards online either?

I would ask about whether the holds count towards the 8 transactions. Can't hurt to ask.

There's no place to buy Disney gift cards online either?

I would ask about whether the holds count towards the 8 transactions. Can't hurt to ask.

No gift cards on line that I've found nor are they sold in any of the stores here that are mentioned in the Canadian forum. I will call my bank about the holds, but we are there for 12 days and two debits will already be used so we are screwed for the other six days. This new policy is asinine. :(

No gift cards on line that I've found nor are they sold in any of the stores here that are mentioned in the Canadian forum. I will call my bank about the holds, but we are there for 12 days and two debits will already be used so we are screwed for the other six days. This new policy is asinine. :(

Can you get a different bank account? Or at least for this trip. Couldn’t imagine only 12 withdrawals from a checking acct. unless I read that wrong.

I agree. If they would just people put money on their account in advance at check in, so many problems could be avoided.

Can you get a different bank account? Or at least for this trip. Couldn’t imagine only 12 withdrawals from a checking acct. unless I read that wrong.
I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, it's not an option. Our US checking account is only used for our DVC and Disney trips, that's why the limited debit amounts.

I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, it's not an option. Our US checking account is only used for our DVC and Disney trips, that's why the limited debit amounts.

There is no other usa checking accts to get or a credit card with no foreign transaction fees?

Maybe Citibank?

No gift cards on line that I've found nor are they sold in any of the stores here

Couldn't you buy gift cards once you arrive in the US? At MCO or even at your resort. I've never paid attention to what denominations are available at the gift shops, but at worst you'd have a stack of gift cards rather than a stack of cash. And that could be done with one large credit card transaction equal to approximately the amount you expect to spend.

Enjoy your vacation!

Couldn't you buy gift cards once you arrive in the US? At MCO or even at your resort. I've never paid attention to what denominations are available at the gift shops, but at worst you'd have a stack of gift cards rather than a stack of cash. And that could be done with one large credit card transaction equal to approximately the amount you expect to spend.

Enjoy your vacation!
Ooooh, see? That's why I posted. Thank you! That never occurred to me. I'm not sure if there is a store in the Canadian arrival area at MCO that sells gift cards, nor am I familiar with what denominations the resorts sell them at as I've never paid attention to them. I've never had one in my life. Still... the convenience of just using a magic band is lost and we'll still have to carry gift cards around. Could be awkward at the pool. HAHA

I wonder what reason is for not preloading at beginning of trip. I don’t see why not unless just a tech thing.
My guess is not having to deal with refunding unused money.

Personally, I would suggest this:
Morning of check out: can go to front desk to get a refund in the original form of payment. If you don't have a credit card on file to charge for the rest of that day, this would close your account.

If you don't go to the front desk:
If the balance left is greater than $10, a Disney gift card is mailed to your home address with the remaining balance
If the balance is less than $10, the balance is donated to a wildlife conservation fund/charity.

To put money on your account, you would have to sign an acknowledgment and agreement with this policy.

Ooooh, see? That's why I posted. Thank you! That never occurred to me. I'm not sure if there is a store in the Canadian arrival area at MCO that sells gift cards, nor am I familiar with what denominations the resorts sell them at as I've never paid attention to them. I've never had one in my life. Still... the convenience of just using a magic band is lost and we'll still have to carry gift cards around. Could be awkward at the pool. HAHA
Well, you could use the magic band at the pool... just keep the charges under $100.

As for the airport: there are two Disney stores outside security you can stop at. They might have them. They also have a CNN newsstand and Hudson News, which may have gift cards.

Disney gift cards can usually be purchased in stores for any denomination you like between $25 and $500 (when you go to purchase, you tell the cashier how much you want on them). But, you can buy more than 1 card in a single transaction.

Okay folks, I just read all 58 pages of posts and my eyes are crossed. I do have major cognitive issues so apologize in advance if I'm not understanding something that is said or may have already been posted. I'm trying to understand this new brainiac Disney policy and how it applies to our situation. :sad2:

We are DVC members so stay on our points and no balances owing upon check in. We are Canadian. We use our magic bands to charge everything, especially when going during Food and Wine. Hey, those charges add up throughout the day! We do like to indulge. :rolleyes1

Here are my concerns:

- We have a US dollar bank account which is a visa/debit/checking account in Georgia. We have a limit of 8 transactions per month. (ridiculous, but that's the deal) Before the new hold policy, we used to pay our charges at check out with one transaction from this account. Now, we won't be able to from what I understand. (because holds will have been used up in 6 days. We are there for 12 days)
- Our credit cards are Canadian and we pay a higher exchange rate on the dollar in addition to a 2.5% additional fee on US$ purchases. Our credit card is notorious for flagging for fraud. (even when notifying them of travel)
- We like the convenience of using our magic bands to charge everything. Instead of worrying about holds/double holds (actual purchases made plus Disney's new holds) and tying up our bank/credit card accounts, can we just give the front desk $2000 cash and apply it to our magic band account so we don't have to walk around with all of this cash in our pockets? We enjoy drinks and meals at the pool and don't really want to carry cash with us, know what I mean? From the horror stories I've read, it would be our luck to get down there and have our credit cards flagged and purchases declined by no fault of our own and time wasted trying to sort this crap out. I hope this is not clear as mud... people should not have to stress out on their vacation. It's bad enough that we have to plan our park days, dining options and fast passes by the hour. Next, it will be bathroom breaks. Gone are the days of just getting up and going and not having a care in the world.
Since you can't give the hotel cash you may be a good candidate to purchase one of the gift card wrist bands and use that instead. Load it with $1000 (or less) at a time, swipe it for most all your charges instead of a MB. This is a great option provided you stay together as a group all the time since you can't share this like you do a MB. I've used this during our trip where we stayed at Swan and it worked well. I saved the card just in case we ever needed it again. You wear them on the wrist just like a MB would be

Since you can't give the hotel cash you may be a good candidate to purchase one of the gift card wrist bands and use that instead. Load it with $1000 (or less) at a time, swipe it for most all your charges instead of a MB. This is a great option provided you stay together as a group all the time since you can't share this like you do a MB. I've used this during our trip where we stayed at Swan and it worked well. I saved the card just in case we ever needed it again.
I didn't even know this existed. We've always just wore our magic bands and did everything with them. That's sounds like the way to go. It is just the two of us so charging would not be an issue. Are these available at the resort gift shop for purchase?

Can you buy from
www.disneygiftcard.com?
even if you just ship it to your resort instead of home
Though personally, I like the wrist band type better. No pulling card out all the time

Since you can't give the hotel cash you may be a good candidate to purchase one of the gift card wrist bands and use that instead. Load it with $1000 (or less) at a time, swipe it for most all your charges instead of a MB. This is a great option provided you stay together as a group all the time since you can't share this like you do a MB. I've used this during our trip where we stayed at Swan and it worked well. I saved the card just in case we ever needed it again. You wear them on the wrist just like a MB would be

What is a gift card wrist band. Can u lost a link?

I didn't even know this existed. We've always just wore our magic bands and did everything with them. That's sounds like the way to go. It is just the two of us so charging would not be an issue. Are these available at the resort gift shop for purchase?
I haven't ever looked at the resort gift shop but they are at Epcot without question.

What is a gift card wrist band. Can u lost a link?
This is some of last years
(from the Disney Parks Blog)
fwg2034982034983fi-624x352.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter