• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Credit Card Authorization Holds

Pretty sure it's been over a year since it was possible, if it ever was. It's partly why some people on the budget board suggest not putting it all on one card, which I know isn't very helpful for now. As much of a mess as it is maybe let the teens/kids use the MB for charging and pay it off each day with the gc and then use the GC for everything the adults do. I wouldn't want to carry around a card with that much on it.

Yep. I'm kicking myself now. I think paying off the amount each evening is the best plan.

Since I live in Europe, we only visit once a year, and this summer I’ll be there for 22 nights. I don’t want to have $4.000 on holds and another $4.000 charged so I guess I’ll skip online check in and paying everything with my credit card and cash. I’m buying a couple of gift cards for my teens and ready to go!

Since I live in Europe, we only visit once a year, and this summer I’ll be there for 22 nights. I don’t want to have $4.000 on holds and another $4.000 charged so I guess I’ll skip online check in and paying everything with my credit card and cash. I’m buying a couple of gift cards for my teens and ready to go!
Room charges are charged to cards every 5 days, so unless you'll be spending $4000 in four days, you're safe that way.

Hey All!
I plan on using GC or cash...but we have the dining plan. Has anyone had any issues using the DDP and authorization holds...other than the fact that the restaurant might charge the meal instead of use the entitlements...which we would know when we left the restaurant

So, if I am reading this correctly, as long as my room has been paid in full and i choose no charging of incidentals, we should be fine, correct? No additional holds or charges? We use a debit card only and never use our MBs for charging. I like to pay as I go, not charge back to the room. WDW is still OK with cash guests, right?

Hey All!
I plan on using GC or cash...but we have the dining plan. Has anyone had any issues using the DDP and authorization holds...other than the fact that the restaurant might charge the meal instead of use the entitlements...which we would know when we left the restaurant

You shoudl be fine using your MB for your DDP credits. That does not hit your CC on file.

I have a debit card attached to my account for charging. I'll be using that and Disney gift cards to pay during the trip. Here's what I have planned, but I'd love to know if y'all think this should work ok. Also, if it makes a difference, we have a split stay, with 4 nights at each hotel (so no 5th night charging):

* Rooms paid in full prior to arrival
* Will be paying for all table service restaurants with credit or gift card
* Most counter service restaurants will be mobile ordered, so charged to credit card
* Will use magic bands for snacks and drinks, but it's only for 2 people, so shouldn't be more than $100/day, unless we really hit Flower and Garden stands hard one day
* Will pay off balance at front desk each night

Should this keep me from getting multiple $100 holds? My debit card will absolutely deduct the holds from my available cash, and it takes forever for them to clear a hold. (I'd forego using the MB's to charge totally, but DD likes the freedom of being able to use them, so just trying to keep their use to a minimum.)

I have a debit card attached to my account for charging. I'll be using that and Disney gift cards to pay during the trip. Here's what I have planned, but I'd love to know if y'all think this should work ok. Also, if it makes a difference, we have a split stay, with 4 nights at each hotel (so no 5th night charging):

* Most counter service restaurants will be mobile ordered, so charged to credit card
* Will use magic bands for snacks and drinks, but it's only for 2 people, so shouldn't be more than $100/day, unless we really hit Flower and Garden stands hard one day

Should this keep me from getting multiple $100 holds? My debit card will absolutely deduct the holds from my available cash, and it takes forever for them to clear a hold. (I'd forego using the MB's to charge totally, but DD likes the freedom of being able to use them, so just trying to keep their use to a minimum.)
I can't answer your question, but as far as just using them for snacks and drinks, how about a wrist band, reloadable gift card? We get one during the festivals. They can be used anywhere on property and are just as easy to use as a MB and in the end, you can reload them and reuse them, but you also get a neat, festival souvenir.

I would buy several Disney gift cards for your daughter. WHEn my DGD was younger my DD used an envelope system for her and would have one daily for her, and at the end of each day she added whatever was left to the new one. Today I would use gift cards to accomplish that. I watched my two Princesses navigate their gift cards like pros when I was shopping with them a few weeks ago.

If you keep your MB charge to under $100 then you should only have the one hold on your account. We did what you plan to do. Our daily MB charge was less than $100 a day and I paid off the charges every night with a gift card.

Last edited:
@AngiTN do you (or does anyone else) know the best email address for communicating what went wrong because of these holds on our last resort visit? I'm writing to the SSR resort manager, but should I cc anyone else?

@AngiTN do you (or does anyone else) know the best email address for communicating what went wrong because of these holds on our last resort visit? I'm writing to the SSR resort manager, but should I cc anyone else?
Yeah, it's posted earlier on in this thread, George Ksomething Greek (I can't spell it off the top of my head)
You can also use the guest services email address that is found on the Contact Us page on the website.
I'll search too and try to find them both

Yeah, it's posted earlier on in this thread, George Ksomething Greek (I can't spell it off the top of my head)
You can also use the guest services email address that is found on the Contact Us page on the website.
I'll search too and try to find them both
Thanks, I’m sure I’ll find it with your info.

If you keep your MB charge to under $100 then you should only have the one hold on your account. We did what you plan to do. Our daily MB charge was less than $100 a day and I paid off the charges every night with a gift card.
Thanks! Good to know that this should work.

I can't answer your question, but as far as just using them for snacks and drinks, how about a wrist band, reloadable gift card? We get one during the festivals. They can be used anywhere on property and are just as easy to use as a MB and in the end, you can reload them and reuse them, but you also get a neat, festival souvenir.
I would buy several Disney gift cards for your daughter. WHEn my DGD was younger my DD used an envelope system for her and would have one daily for her, and at the end of each day she added whatever was left to the new one. Today I would use gift cards to accomplish that. I watched my two Princesses navigate their gift cards like pros when I was shopping with them a few weeks ago.
The gift cards will be my backup if necessary. Good idea about getting the wristbands for F&G.

Just go to the front desk at check in and have them remove the charging privileges from your reservation. You could ask them not to put a hold on your credit card and maybe they will be able to do it. Otherwise, if they put the $100 hold on the card you used, and if you don't make any charges to your room then the hold will never increase and will it fall off some time after your trip is over.

So the only way you get the hold is with online check in and your card on file? I have a debit Visa card and can't afford the hold. If I go check in at the front desk all will be good?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter