New Credit Card Authorization Holds

This is some of last years
(from the Disney Parks Blog)
fwg2034982034983fi-624x352.jpg
So THAT'S what those things are! :teeth: I noticed them last year and wondered. Duh. Now I know. Now to find them before we go as I really don't want to carry all that cash on me.

When I called they explained it as it will never be more then what you charged plus 100 hold. They say that the money u spend takes that hold spot and u get a new hold. Problem is some card companies are taking longer to release holds. I wish we could hear from people who have good experience and what type of card they used that released holds fast.

In June I do have dining plan. So I’m going to do the strategy of spending no more then 100 a day in band and paying off at night. If I’m correct should never have more then 1 hold? Is that right? Kinda annoying though. Lol

I'm wondering if the paying off at night is what is causing the issue? I have no clue really, just guessing. I have never had an issue at any hotel with the cc deposit like what people are describing. If they are only clearing your room charges after 5 days, regardless of how much spent (i.e. even over $100)then I don't see how people are ending up with all these holds. Unless it truly just is a system issue and things not working correctly. I don't go until August, so I won't have feedback until then, but my intention is to charge everything to my room that will have my cc linked to it. I have no dining plan this time, so I'm anticipating significant charges, so it would be a good test.

The problem is that every bank operates differently, and if you've used a debit card it's worse. Holds of 650 dollars + actual charges of 550= 1200 dollars. Some banks will deduct those holds from your balance. If you have a debit card the holds are generally removed from your available balance. On day 5 when the charges post and the holds are cancelled, and a new hold is applied, some banks (especially Capital One, apparently) tag this activity as fraudulent.

I can see this being an issue with debit cards, but shouldn't be with a credit card as long as there is sufficient limit. The fraudulent activity is interesting and I know that can happen on vacation with more than normal spending. I'm in Canada, so I usually notify my bank before I vacation i the US anyway. I use one of the large Canadian banks, so I don't anticipate a problem here and even if it takes a couple of days for the hold to drop, it won't make any difference. But this info is handy just to be informed, if nothing else.

I can see this being an issue with debit cards, but shouldn't be with a credit card as long as there is sufficient limit. The fraudulent activity is interesting and I know that can happen on vacation with more than normal spending. I'm in Canada, so I usually notify my bank before I vacation i the US anyway. I use one of the large Canadian banks, so I don't anticipate a problem here and even if it takes a couple of days for the hold to drop, it won't make any difference. But this info is handy just to be informed, if nothing else.

We had issues with and RBC card as a heads up. One of the big 5 doesn't guarantee. We also informed them that we would be traveling. They said that the multiple small holds raised a flag. We were there 10 days on property and the issue was flagged on day 8.

We had issues with and RBC card as a heads up. One of the big 5 doesn't guarantee. We also informed them that we would be traveling. They said that the multiple small holds raised a flag. We were there 10 days on property and the issue was flagged on day 8.

Have any Canadians here had issues with BMO? That is the card we are planning to use. As this whole cc thing seems to be a bit problematic for many, I am strongly considering getting gift cards to use instead.

I'm wondering if the paying off at night is what is causing the issue? I have no clue really, just guessing. I have never had an issue at any hotel with the cc deposit like what people are describing. If they are only clearing your room charges after 5 days, regardless of how much spent (i.e. even over $100)then I don't see how people are ending up with all these holds. Unless it truly just is a system issue and things not working correctly. I don't go until August, so I won't have feedback until then, but my intention is to charge everything to my room that will have my cc linked to it. I have no dining plan this time, so I'm anticipating significant charges, so it would be a good test.
No, it is not. The people are having this issue no matter if they pay them off at night or not. Matter of fact, the first reports of the issues were from those not paying it off

It is not that folks are paying the balance off at night. It is the number of holds that is causing problems. A high credit limit will not stop the fraud alert flags from being triggered.

So THAT'S what those things are! :teeth: I noticed them last year and wondered. Duh. Now I know. Now to find them before we go as I really don't want to carry all that cash on me.
If you don't want to worry about hunting down a wrist band GC, you could buy a cheap hole punch and curly wrist band from a store (home improvement stores here have them for some reason, and most big box stores) and just make one once you get to Disney and buy the GC. Super easy. No time wasted trying to find one!

If you don't want to worry about hunting down a wrist band GC, you could buy a cheap hole punch and curly wrist band from a store (home improvement stores here have them for some reason, and most big box stores) and just make one once you get to Disney and buy the GC. Super easy. No time wasted trying to find one!
I think the easiest thing to do at this point, unless Disney gets their act together, is order a large denomination card on line and have it mailed to me if they will. I haven't had time to research it yet. If not, I guess the credit card will be loaded with holds and we'll pay it off with cash after day five and hope for the best. :scared:

You could but they are much larger than the ones sold for a wrist band. I know I wouldn't want to walk around with a credit card size card on my wrist. The ones that Disney sells for the wrist are the size of a card that your grocery gives you for their discounts that goes on the key chain. So less than half the size of a regular gift card. Maybe there's a way to cut one of them down? I've never looked to see what the scan area is on one to see if it fills the entire length of the card or not

I think the easiest thing to do at this point, unless Disney gets their act together, is order a large denomination card on line and have it mailed to me if they will. I haven't had time to research it yet. If not, I guess the credit card will be loaded with holds and we'll pay it off with cash after day five and hope for the best. :scared:
You can do this and then transfer the funds from one gift card to another, using the Gift Card website. Moving the funds to the wrist band sized card after you purchase one. Unless you find a way to buy one beforehand. I haven't ever looked to see if it's possible or not. You may even have a way to ask someone to send you one or something, if you know of someone else down there

You can do this and then transfer the funds from one gift card to another, using the Gift Card website. Moving the funds to the wrist band sized card after you purchase one. Unless you find a way to buy one beforehand. I haven't ever looked to see if it's possible or not. You may even have a way to ask someone to send you one or something, if you know of someone else down there
I just did a little searching and the wrist type cards are only available at Epcot or Epcot area resorts while supplies last, according to the Disney Parks Blog. I agree about having a big card hanging around my wrist, and I don't think altering it would be wise since they do have that magnetic stripe on them. I still have the lanyards from years ago which I wouldn't mind wearing. I actually prefer that to the magic bands. I'll get it figured it out one way or another. I appreciate your input!

I just did a little searching and the wrist type cards are only available at Epcot or Epcot area resorts while supplies last, according to the Disney Parks Blog. I agree about having a big card hanging around my wrist, and I don't think altering it would be wise since they do have that magnetic stripe on them. I still have the lanyards from years ago which I wouldn't mind wearing. I actually prefer that to the magic bands. I'll get it figured it out one way or another. I appreciate your input!
They have LOTS and LOTS of them and even so many they leave them for sale outside of the events so if you want one, there isn't going to be a problem with your picking one up. It's not a limited edition thing by any means

Does sound like you've got a couple good options at your disposal.

You can buy Disney gift cards in Canada. They are just in Canadian funds so they convert when used. Superstore sells them for sure.

Carrying a gift card around on a bracelet worth $1000 seems crazy to me. If you lose it or it's stolen you are out $1000. I would just bring out the cash that I anticipated using that day. (so, not my entire vacation's worth of money).

As far as the discussion on gift cards that has been going on, this is a case where I would not get $1000 gift cards. If I were planning on using them as I went I would get smaller amts, depending on what I expected to spend, rather than carrying around that much at once. However, in our case, some of the TS meals can be in the $$250-300 range with tip, so we would still have to carry quite a bit of money in the form of GCs around.

Can you get the wristband CGs at Epcot at all times of the year? I know I have gotten them during F&W, but that's the only time I've noticed them. Maybe they always carry them, but just make special ones and prominently display them during F&W? What about other festivals? How about summer, when there aren't any festivals? I'm mostly just curious, but per the recent conversation if could be good info for some people.

Was it easy to clear up once it was flagged? Preparing myself.

You can buy Disney gift cards in Canada. They are just in Canadian funds so they convert when used. Superstore sells them for sure.

Carrying a gift card around on a bracelet worth $1000 seems crazy to me. If you lose it or it's stolen you are out $1000. I would just bring out the cash that I anticipated using that day. (so, not my entire vacation's worth of money).
Not if you have it registered on the Disney Gift Card.com website
I always load mine up with $1000 each. Not on the wrist band card so much but each card I put on the site. I've only used the wrist band card one time but I'm sorely tempted to go back to it depending on how this new deal plays out

As far as the discussion on gift cards that has been going on, this is a case where I would not get $1000 gift cards. If I were planning on using them as I went I would get smaller amts, depending on what I expected to spend, rather than carrying around that much at once. However, in our case, some of the TS meals can be in the $$250-300 range with tip, so we would still have to carry quite a bit of money in the form of GCs around.

Can you get the wristband CGs at Epcot at all times of the year? I know I have gotten them during F&W, but that's the only time I've noticed them. Maybe they always carry them, but just make special ones and prominently display them during F&W? What about other festivals? How about summer, when there aren't any festivals? I'm mostly just curious, but per the recent conversation if could be good info for some people.
They have always had clear plastic bins of the wrist bands, or hanging spinning racks (depending on the register set up) out no matter when we go. It does not have to be during a festival

As to carrying it around, or not, this is why the general idea most use is to buy the cards, load up $1000 a card using the website and then use those to pay off room charges. That is easier than carrying them around

They have always had clear plastic bins of the wrist bands, or hanging spinning racks (depending on the register set up) out no matter when we go. It does not have to be during a festival

As to carrying it around, or not, this is why the general idea most use is to buy the cards, load up $1000 a card using the website and then use those to pay off room charges. That is easier than carrying them around

Yeah, I know that's generally a good way to do it so you don't have a million cards with small amts on them. I was just replying to the recent conversation where people were talking about possibly having to carry gift cards because of their bank restrictions, etc, and then I might rather have, say 5 $200 cards, than 1 $1000 card, so I could just carry one or two of the smaller ones and not risk losing the large one. Registered or not, if someone spends it before you realize it and report it you're out the money just like cash. I lost my TIW card last year and didn't realize until the next day when we were eating again, and that could also happen with a GC. You wouldn't know until your next expense, and that could give someone plenty of time to spend it down to zero.

I never noticed that the wrist cards are always there in Eocot, I'll have to keep an eye out next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter