New Credit Card Authorization Holds

The card that is currently on my account was closed for suspicious activity 6 weeks ago I have tried to change it to the new number on the app, on the website and over the phone but it gets an error message every time (the man on the phone couldn’t get the old card removed either) the rep I talked to told me it didn’t matter if I planned to not charge to my room but it looks like I’m going to need to try harder to figure out how to get it changed.

No need to change it now. Just wait until you arrive and give the new card at the front desk.

I guess I'll be hit with the $100 hold, on my debit card, when I check in. This new policy will probably turn out to be money saving for me because there is no way I'll be using my Magic Band to charge back to the room now. I know I will be more cognizant of my charges if I'm using my debit card at POS, instead.

The card that is currently on my account was closed for suspicious activity 6 weeks ago I have tried to change it to the new number on the app, on the website and over the phone but it gets an error message every time (the man on the phone couldn’t get the old card removed either) the rep I talked to told me it didn’t matter if I planned to not charge to my room but it looks like I’m going to need to try harder to figure out how to get it changed.
Try calling Disney IT. If the phone CM has an issue getting the old card off, the front desk may have the same problem. It's the same computer system, after all.

I'd rather deal with people on the phone from home, then have it cut into vacation time trying to solve.

Update-I received the refund to my card today for the room charges. Like I said, I must have been lucky having stayed at Disney multiple times this year and this is the first time they charged my car prior to check in. I could see how this could be an issue for people using debit cards or credit cards with low limits.

This policy doesn't start until February 27th right? We're going next week. We should still be under the old policy? We usually use a debt card for our card-on-file and at the end of our stay, we use Disney Gift Cards to pay down our resort bill.

This policy doesn't start until February 27th right? We're going next week. We should still be under the old policy? We usually use a debt card for our card-on-file and at the end of our stay, we use Disney Gift Cards to pay down our resort bill.
You can check the T&C of your online check in to be sure. The details should be there. If not sure, ask when you arrive.

I thought you couldn’t pre-pay with cash/gift cards, and only apply payments as you charged things?

Only 1 charge at check out is good to hear (for me, anyway). Easier to figure out if final bill is correct this way,and can use gift cards more easily. HOwever, it does mean that there will most likely be double authorizations for those that just pay with the credit card on file.

I didn’t think u could either but just talked to a cm. I told them I always did before checkout and she said u can preload at check in. My exact question was can i preload 500.00 at check In before using magic band then have rest go to credit card and she said yes.

I didn’t think u could either but just talked to a cm. I told them I always did before checkout and she said u can preload at check in. My exact question was can i preload 500.00 at check In before using magic band then have rest go to credit card and she said yes.
Phone cm? Or cm at front desk of resort?

Sadly, I wouldn't rely on a phone cm.

However, if you email guest services, you are highly likely to get correct information.

I guess I'll be hit with the $100 hold, on my debit card, when I check in. This new policy will probably turn out to be money saving for me because there is no way I'll be using my Magic Band to charge back to the room now. I know I will be more cognizant of my charges if I'm using my debit card at POS, instead.

I won't be doing online check in. I don't need the $100 hold on my debit card. I hadn't planned to use my magic band anyway. I'm going to have a special card just for Disney spending and that's what I'm using for all purchases.

But it’s so fun and convenient to use magic band. Although I do Apple Pay to

I perfectly understand! :thumbsup2 I used it back in 2015 before the holds took place and it was nice not having to whip out my card every time. However....being as I have a debit card and not a credit card, I don't need $100 "locked up" and can't get to until my bank releases it. I'm going to find my little fanny pack that I've had for YEARS..... (don't judge me!! :rotfl2::rotfl2:) and that will be around my waist with my inhaler, motion sickness medicine, and debit card right there! :goodvibes

Chat. Saved screen shot too
Chat is also kinda useless. I was told to look into a payment plan for an AP as a non-Florida resident. I even mentioned I wasn't one, but the chat agent told me it was ok :confused3

I will try and see if its an option on my next trip like I normally do. I have always been told no.

Unfortunately that may not matter.

I didn’t mean for proof to cms lol. I just know how people here don’t believe things people say. Lol

But when I called. They weren’t even familiar with any card auth changes. So who knows.

Last edited:
You, literally, just ignored someone in the banking industry that stated, these holds can take up to 10 days to fall off posting just before you.

I also work in the banking industry. Whoever you are talking about is exactly right that it can take up to 10 days to fall off. I understand that seems long, but unless you're calling things close on your limit, what's the difference? I "literally" don't understand your point, I guess.

Nothing about a WDW vacation is consistent with a typical hotel stay. They want you to do ALL of your spending at WDW, hence Magic Express and multi day tickets, plus every shopping option you could ever need.

Again, I'm not following your point. Disney does want this, yes, but they also want you to be able to pay for it. There are people in this world who run up their room bill with a bad card and when Disney tries to push through the charges, it doesn't go through. These holds protect them from that. It must be enough of a problem for them to implement this, because its more work on their end as well.

Heck, I have an annoying $1 hold that has been hanging on my account for 5 days where the charge already went through, because I entered the wrong zip code the first time buying gas, so that phantom hold is just hanging there with no actual charge to follow. Now make that the WDW $100 hold, and potentially have that triggered multiple times. Also, I have had my bank refuse to remove holds. So, no, it is not as easy as you make it sound.

If all things work correctly, the hold should fall off with no intervention from you. It really is that easy. And as mentioned, can take up to 10 days, maybe longer depending on the bank. As I said in my original post, things can and do go wrong all the time, but in a typical situation, the hold falls off on its own.

If someone is using a debit card, that hold, one that may not fall off as easily as you suggest it will fall, is going to tie up someone's household account.

You are right. But if I did not have a credit card to use and only had a debit card, I would not put it down as a form of payment for my magic band and would just use the debit card to pay each time. You'd avoid the authorizations in that case. Or, if not comfortable with that, buy gift cards. Or, quite frankly, get a credit card and then use the money in your bank account to pay it off immediately when you return home. Credit cards have better fraud protection and will not set you back your available cash on hand, should a debit card get lost or stolen.

AS to routine holds on credit cards being the standard, again...no problem unless you are are in WDW. This place is not the same as a vacation elsewhere. WHere else do you stay in a hotel and have the number of establishments linked to that card your hotel is holding a collateral? I know of no other destination that does this.

Resort destinations where you can charge things back to your room. I've stayed at a Hyatt resort in Mexico that had a daily authorization whenever I charged something to my room. I think at Universal, the authorization is (or used to be?) $250.

From your statement it seems you have never dealt with a hold that wouldn't fall off. In my case, it was many many many phone calls, while each end denied it was their fault. Felt like I was banging my head against a wall, I was so frustrated!! In both cases it took 2 months for the hold to fall off, after the charge had already been paid at the hotel.

You are right, I have not fortunately, and I stay in hotels frequently for work. Which proves my point that its not typical for holds to remain and not fall off on their own. It would have to be an error on the part of the merchant, the bank, or both in an unfortunate case. Your experience definitely sounds frustrating, but its not typical. It can happen, and I'm not diminishing the frustration of it. But think of it like getting charged full price when something is on sale. Is it supposed to happen? No. Does it usually happen? Not usually. Can it happen? Sure. Why does it happen? An error, most likely.

At the end of the day, there's no use getting worked up over this new policy unless/until you encounter an issue with Disney's hold not falling off for yourself. Everyone's experience will differ, so no need to live in fear of it happening.

You are right. But if I did not have a credit card to use and only had a debit card, I would not put it down as a form of payment for my magic band and would just use the debit card to pay each time. You'd avoid the authorizations in that case. Or, if not comfortable with that, buy gift cards. Or, quite frankly, get a credit card and then use the money in your bank account to pay it off immediately when you return home. Credit cards have better fraud protection and will not set you back your available cash on hand, should a debit card get lost or stolen.

At the end of the day, there's no use getting worked up over this new policy unless/until you encounter an issue with Disney's hold not falling off for yourself. Everyone's experience will differ, so no need to live in fear of it happening.[/QUOTE]

I have a CC card, but one error on it was enough for me. I plan to just pay as I go. I was simply discussing why some folks are not going to be happy with this new occurrence, and while I understand the reasoning behind the policy, I still understand why it may be problematic for some people.

I also do not see people getting worked up. I do see people planning how they will work around it if they feel they want to avoid issues that may occur. There are enough problems one must address in work and home, that many of us do what we can to avoid them on vacation.

I hope my credit card wont put a security freeze when they see holds being placed. This week my debit card had a lost card freeze put on it even though I never lost it or reported it lost. Found out while doing my grocery shopping. When I booked my latest trip my credit card and debit card wouldnt approve the deposit amount due to suspiciuos activity hold. I have no luck so I will be sure to bring a back up credit card and a gift card.

On our last two trips to WDW, September 2018 and December 2018 the week before the trip (leaving on Saturday each time so the Monday of the week we are leaving) our SW Visa that we use for our travel has been comprimised and we have had to close the account. They overnighted us new cards, cancelled the old, and in each case I have simply gone onto MDE under my reservation and changed the primary card to my new number. I have not "removed" the old one. I just update to the new one. I have never looked or called to see if the old was removed and since it is closed I really don't care I guess. Both times there was never an issue and I was able to do it myself online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter