New Credit Card Authorization Holds

I hope my credit card wont put a security freeze when they see holds being placed. This week my debit card had a lost card freeze put on it even though I never lost it or reported it lost. Found out while doing my grocery shopping. When I booked my latest trip my credit card and debit card wouldnt approve the deposit amount due to suspiciuos activity hold. I have no luck so I will be sure to bring a back up credit card and a gift card.
This sounds strange TBH.

Did you not get new cards then with new numbers? That would be a huge flag for me if a lost card freeze was put on without my authorization. Makes it sound like someone stole it.

Frankly this new Disney hold policy seems to be the least of your worries. I'd be far more concerned about identity theft or at the very least someone trying to make charges to my account.

I have a CC card, but one error on it was enough for me. I plan to just pay as I go. I was simply discussing why some folks are not going to be happy with this new occurrence, and while I understand the reasoning behind the policy, I still understand why it may be problematic for some people.

I also do not see people getting worked up. I do see people planning how they will work around it if they feel they want to avoid issues that may occur. There are enough problems one must address in work and home, that many of us do what we can to avoid them on vacation.

Fair enough. I just fail to see how it will be problematic for anyone, barring the rare occurrence where a hold doesn't fall off and the person may need to make a phone call or two to handle it. If someone is very concerned about this, they can simply not put down a card.

I say people are getting worked up because they are viewing this as a problem and coming up with all sorts of what-if scenarios with this new policy, yet those scenarios are something that may never come into play. And if they do for someone else, it likely won't for you. I'm just saying there's no need to do anything but shrug your shoulders at this policy, unless/until you experience an error with this - which, as I said, should be rare.

Fair enough. I just fail to see how it will be problematic for anyone, barring the rare occurrence where a hold doesn't fall off and the person may need to make a phone call or two to handle it. If someone is very concerned about this, they can simply not put down a card.

I say people are getting worked up because they are viewing this as a problem and coming up with all sorts of what-if scenarios with this new policy, yet those scenarios are something that may never come into play. And if they do for someone else, it likely won't for you. I'm just saying there's no need to do anything but shrug your shoulders at this policy, unless/until you experience an error with this - which, as I said, should be rare.

But that is the problem. YOU cannot see an issue so you really don't want to sympathize with those who are concerned. Honestly, we have all dealt with Disney in regards to how they roll politics out, and we all have heard horror stories, so it is not inconceivable that they will screw this one up too.

But that is the problem. YOU cannot see an issue so you really don't want to sympathize with those who are concerned.

If it works as intended for most people, where the hold falls off, what exactly is the issue people have then? Genuinely asking, not trying to sound snarky. I get that people are concerned the hold won't fall off and there will have to be legwork done to remove it, which I agree is annoying when that occurs, but that should be a rare instance. And people only need worry about that if it happens to them. So aside from that potential what-if scenario, what other problems are there? There are so many ways to mitigate other points I have seen here, that I wouldn't consider them a problem at all.

it is not inconceivable that they will screw this one up too.

Sure, anything is possible with Disney. I agree their IT is ridiculous. Like anything, I think there will be kinks to smooth out in the beginning, but once its been rolled out and the dust has settled, it should operate no different than any other place that has authorization holds.

If it works as intended for most people, where the hold falls off, what exactly is the issue people have then? Genuinely asking, not trying to sound snarky. I get that people are concerned the hold won't fall off and there will have to be legwork done to remove it, which I agree is annoying when that occurs, but that should be a rare instance. And people only need worry about that if it happens to them. So aside from that potential what-if scenario, what other problems are there? There are so many ways to mitigate other points I have seen here, that I wouldn't consider them a problem at all.

Sure, anything is possible with Disney. I agree their IT is ridiculous. Like anything, I think there will be kinks to smooth out in the beginning, but once its been rolled out and the dust has settled, it should operate no different than any other place that has authorization holds.

I know you aren't trying to be snippy. We all know that there are folks who if it is going to happen, it happens to them. I am one of those people. I had one issue with how my card got charged and while it was fine in the big scheme, for me it was stressful. It is NEVER going to happen to me again. Other people have had problems and so this is a potential worry for them. My work around is to do online check in, and that is it. I am not taking any chances that the network between Disney and their holds and my CC company is going to have a snafu. I am not worked up, but I am also not taking chances. I also only charge back to the room for convenience, and carry enough cash daily to just pay as I go. I just got a debit card at 62, and so I guess I can use it, I just need to let my bank know my intentions, if I decide to take funds from my checking account.
I do know that I am not going to lose one minute of vacation correcting a mess that Disney has helped to create, and do not blame anyone else for that either.

Frankly, in terms of how you perceive folks are reacting, I would simply say that you respect that they are doing as you suggest: looking for potential problems and balancing them with how to manage this new policy while waiting to see if Disney screws it up or not. I bet you a Mickey bar that they will, and the families that the mistakes impact will be the least able to manage the financial impact. The others will do like you say, roll with it and know their credit line is high enough to absorb it. Not everyone is at that stage though, and those people are worried.

People are concerned with tying up their available credit with a couple thousand in holds. If it works the way Disney says and multiple $100 holds are placed on your card every time you reach $100 in spending, if you spend $2000, you could have another $2000 tied up in a hold. If you don't have a high credit limit on your credit card and it happens to be a credit card you use for other things (or a debit card), that could be a problem - waiting for $2000 in holds to fall off. This is bad if people aren't aware it's a possibility. Obviously if people are aware, they can find another solution if it's going to be a problem.

I don't think it's that hard to understand the concern, it's been explained numerous times in this thread.

The big issue that I see happening is not the issue of the hold not ever falling off, as it usually does fall off eventually. In the meantime a charge also has to go thru on the card. This is where a problem could happen if things overlap, which it sounds like they will most likely. For example, say I have a credit card with a $10,000 limit. Then say I stay on property for a week or more and charge everything to my magic band. Over that time period my family and I have really enjoyed ourselves and there are $6000 worth of holds on my credit card. So, on the last night before checking out, Disney puts thru the charge for $6000 to the credit card. Well, you should see that there is not enough credit because of the holds for that charge to actually go through.

A lot of the discussion has been on how these holds might be done and how the charges might be put through on the last day as these holds are still sitting there. It has been mentioned that if the charge matches the hold amount then it will go thru using the same authorization code or something of that sort. I highly doubt that this will be the case, though it could happen sometimes.

I can see all kinds of other issues happening for families that don't know even know about this new policy. Disney is not exactly the best about informing about new policies.

I understand why Disney is doing these authorization holds and trying not to lose out on money. I understand that they are probably tired of running down people after the fact that owe money. I also understand how this a very different situation than a normal hold situation and can see where it can go horribly wrong. I don't think that most people are overreacting. They are just trying to understand how this will work and how it will affect them and what they can do to avoid problems.

Last edited:

People are concerned with tying up their available credit with a couple thousand in holds. If it works the way Disney says and multiple $100 holds are placed on your card every time you reach $100 in spending, if you spend $2000, you could have another $2000 tied up in a hold. If you don't have a high credit limit on your credit card and it happens to be a credit card you use for other things (or a debit card), that could be a problem - waiting for $2000 in holds to fall off. This is bad if people aren't aware it's a possibility. Obviously if people are aware, they can find another solution if it's going to be a problem.

I don't think it's that hard to understand the concern, it's been explained numerous times in this thread.

This is exactly my concern as well! With staying at 3 different resorts this time & being fairly big spenders at the parks, this could be a nightmare for my account! The holds do not usually fall off quickly. All of my stays will be with our DVC points, but I’m sure the same rules apply. I’m willing to plan ahead for the extra charges, but I guess we won’t really know how it will work until people have first hand experience.

I’ll also add... like I’ve seen mentioned before, not everyone has TONS of money and credit cards with HUGE limits. We are not all in the same place financially. It’s taken us many years to be more financially sound. I remember saving our pennies for Disney trips early in our marriage! Some might say you shouldn’t spend money on a Disney trip if you can’t afford it... I agree, but if you’ve saved for a very long time & planned who’s to say that’s wrong?
I just see this being a problem for the ones who aren’t toting around a $15k + limit credit card. So, the only option will be to take the card off the account for charging privileges. For me personally, online check in(room alerts) & charging with our magic band is part of the magic nowadays!

In the end... a handful of bad eggs ruined it for the honest vacationers. :(

I sen an email to Disney yesterday asking about pre-loading our room account with gift cards and the person said that was fine...below is my email to them and their response

Re: Disney Resort Hotel Reservations

Walt Disney World Guest Mail
10:56 AM (1 hour ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Jan 23, 10:56 AM EST

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! Gift card funds can be put on your resort folio for charging and incidental purposes; however, this can only be done in person at the resort's front desk. Should the funds run out during your stay, you can reload the funds via the front desk Cast Members for the remainder of your stay. If there are any funds left over at check-out, that amount is refunded back to your gift card. Please keep in mind that you do not have to have a credit card on file at the resort as this is your choice. If you want to make payments towards your vacation package, you can do so pre-arrival over the phone or on the website as package remaining balances are due in full 30 days prior to your arrival. You can make payments using a credit card, debit card, or gift card.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website. Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Sunni Barnes
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

Jan 22, 8:48 AM EST

Hi,

We're arriving for our vacation and I had a question about the new credit card hold. Usually we put our CC on our account for charging, but then pay our room balance every few day with gift cards. Will we be able to do that still or can we put pre-load our account with a gift card the day we check-in and then put another one on when that one runs out? I understand we'll still need to put a CC on the account and that isn't a problem, i just want to be able to pay our balance with the gift cards or cash.

I sen an email to Disney yesterday asking about pre-loading our room account with gift cards and the person said that was fine...below is my email to them and their response

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! Gift card funds can be put on your resort folio for charging and incidental purposes; however, this can only be done in person at the resort's front desk. Should the funds run out during your stay, you can reload the funds via the front desk Cast Members for the remainder of your stay. If there are any funds left over at check-out, that amount is refunded back to your gift card. Please keep in mind that you do not have to have a credit card on file at the resort as this is your choice. If you want to make payments towards your vacation package, you can do so pre-arrival over the phone or on the website as package remaining balances are due in full 30 days prior to your arrival. You can make payments using a credit card, debit card, or gift card.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website. Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Sunni Barnes

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

Hi,

We're arriving for our vacation and I had a question about the new credit card hold. Usually we put our CC on our account for charging, but then pay our room balance every few day with gift cards. Will we be able to do that still or can we put pre-load our account with a gift card the day we check-in and then put another one on when that one runs out? I understand we'll still need to put a CC on the account and that isn't a problem, i just want to be able to pay our balance with the gift cards or cash.
This would be very helpful. For those with debit cards, they could use them to buy gift cards, and have them added to the account.

Hoping to hear first hand accounts of the resorts actually doing this. Doing so would be a change of policy.

If it works the way Disney says and multiple $100 holds are placed on your card every time you reach $100 in spending, if you spend $2000, you could have another $2000 tied up in a hold. If you don't have a high credit limit on your credit card and it happens to be a credit card you use for other things (or a debit card), that could be a problem - waiting for $2000 in holds to fall off.

Do we know this to actually be what is being implemented? In some resorts, if they authorize $100 and then subsequently charge your card for any charges you rack up, the $100 auth is accounted for within the amount that posts. For example, if they authorize $100 on Monday, you reach $500 in charges on Thursday, they would post an additional $400 in charges to your card on Thursday and Monday's $100 authorization would no longer fall off. For a total of $500 in charges, which would be what you'd expect. I hope that makes sense. But it sounds like you're saying Disney is authorizing $100, and then will separately post any charges and keep the authorization separate, so the auth will always fall off? I'd have to think about that more.

I understand what people are perceiving to be a concern, I just don't agree its a concern when there are other solutions that work just as well that can avoid their concern entirely. If a person has limited available credit and are concerned about not having enough, they can skip MB charging all together, or they can let Disney do their authorizations and then just stop by the desk to pay their folio in cash or gift cards or with a different card before any charges post to their original credit card.

Do we know this to actually be what is being implemented? In some resorts, if they authorize $100 and then subsequently charge your card for any charges you rack up, the $100 auth is accounted for within the amount that posts. For example, if they authorize $100 on Monday, you reach $500 in charges on Thursday, they would post an additional $400 in charges to your card on Thursday and Monday's $100 authorization would no longer fall off. For a total of $500 in charges, which would be what you'd expect. I hope that makes sense. But it sounds like you're saying Disney is authorizing $100, and then will separately post any charges and keep the authorization separate, so the auth will always fall off? I'd have to think about that more.

I understand what people are perceiving to be a concern, I just don't agree its a concern when there are other solutions that work just as well that can avoid their concern entirely. If a person has limited available credit and are concerned about not having enough, they can skip MB charging all together, or they can let Disney do their authorizations and then just stop by the desk to pay their folio in cash or gift cards or with a different card before the any charges post to their original credit card.

No one one knows yet how Disney will treat this, their verbiage leads one to believe there will be multiple incremental holds, which can take time to fall off. Again, all previously explained.

There is a concern, people are discussing it and finding other solutions, as people do when they have a concern about something.

Now if you don't agree it's a concern, then there's no point in you discussing other solutions, is there? :)

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Dear ,

Sincerely,

Sunni Barnes

Hi,

I sure hope they do allow this now. It would be great.

I understand what people are perceiving to be a concern, I just don't agree its a concern when there are other solutions that work just as well that can avoid their concern entirely. If a person has limited available credit and are concerned about not having enough, they can skip MB charging all together, or they can let Disney do their authorizations and then just stop by the desk to pay their folio in cash or gift cards or with a different card before any charges post to their original credit card.

There are a great many things posted on these forums that are not a concern for one poster, but is for another. Can’t get a SDD FP don’t worry you can rope drop/stand in line/get in line late at night. These are other solutions. Does that mean someone can’t be concerned about it? No. Who am I to say they can’t and what does it matter if they are? I’m no one to tell anyone what is important to them and it doesn’t.

We had a similar issue! We did a split stay and while everything was fine at the first resort, the second resort had been booked under a CC that had since been canceled for identity theft reasons, but the system pulled that card for incidentals. We didn’t learn about this until we tried to use our MBs in the food court the next day before check out and it was declined. Had we not used our MBs to grab a juice we would have left without knowing it was an issue. I can imagine this happens a lot considering how many of us book months if not a year+ out?
That happened to me in May. Split stay, no issue at the first two resorts, but somehow the expiration date was changed on our info and I received the dreaded "visit the front desk" photocopy. Fortunately, I opened the envelope and took care of it before we left.

Well Bless your heart that this isn't a concern for you.

Everything that Disney is saying now, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. We are still under the old rules, and therefor, any information they give will be based on how it is today. We very much have to wait and see how it is after it rolls out. That is, for those of us who are concerned.

No one one knows yet how Disney will treat this, their verbiage leads one to believe there will be multiple incremental holds, which can take time to fall off. Again, all previously explained.

There is a concern, people are discussing it and finding other solutions, as people do when they have a concern about something.

Now if you don't agree it's a concern, then there's no point in you discussing other solutions, is there? :)

Well, I'm free to contribute to the discussion same as you. What I'm trying to emphasize is that the other solutions work just as well, and avoid the perceived issue. That's not always the case with new things that pose what some perceive to be issues or concerns.

And my other point is that if we're not quite sure how the hold is working, it might end up not being an issue at all. If the hold goes towards the balance, no one should be out anything waiting for a hold to fall off. As you say, its been "previously explained" that Disney hasn't confirmed this, so I think that's an important piece of information we don't know yet. Stay positive, it might all work out.

There are a great many things posted on these forums that are not a concern for one poster, but is for another. Can’t get a SDD FP don’t worry you can rope drop/stand in line/get in line late at night. These are other solutions. Does that mean someone can’t be concerned about it? No. Who am I to say they can’t and what does it matter if they are? I’m no one to tell anyone what is important to them and it doesn’t.

I couldn't care less who or what people are concerned about. I'm just trying to offer a different perspective for those who are concerned. Sometimes when you look at things through a different lens, you see another side to it and it eases the mind.

And to be fair, you're comparing apples and oranges with the Slinky Dog FP analogy. If you can't get a Slinky Dog FP, that means your plans need to be adjusted significantly which is not easy to do in a Disney planner's schedule. It can throw a wrench in the plans for someone. With the CC hold issue, the solution is to use another form of payment which has little to no impact on a trip or plans.

Well Bless your heart that this isn't a concern for you.

This comes off as snarky, which I don't think is warranted. My points have been conveyed in a non-argumentative way, and I do try to see both sides. I just think there's a counter point for much of what is discussed here (in general), which I think helps to show the pros/cons/solutions. If I am perceiving your remark incorrectly then I apologize.

Everything that Disney is saying now, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. We are still under the old rules, and therefor, any information they give will be based on how it is today. We very much have to wait and see how it is after it rolls out. That is, for those of us who are concerned.

Exactly my point. It seems like we're on the same page. Once the roll out occurs, these perceived concerns may be moot points. Disney isn't blind to the fact that much of their customer base is not wanting/affording to have thousands in holds (as one poster suggested). That would go against the grain in the tourism industry, and would potentially impact guests charging back to their room - something I'm sure Disney doesn't want to have an impact on. They want to entice more people to do it.

Last edited:
This would be very helpful. For those with debit cards, they could use them to buy gift cards, and have them added to the account.

Hoping to hear first hand accounts of the resorts actually doing this. Doing so would be a change of policy.

I'd prefer to just preload my folio account with cash/gift cards. I usually bring down gift cards but charge everything to the room. Hopefully someone will get back to us if they've had success.

I'd prefer to just preload my folio account with cash/gift cards. I usually bring down gift cards but charge everything to the room. Hopefully someone will get back to us if they've had success.

Yes! This is exactly what I’m looking out for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter