New Credit Card Authorization Holds

I totally understand the holds and why they're doing it. I've had a lot of holds placed at almost every hotel I've stayed here and abroad. What I don't like is on both mine and my DH's cards holds from outside of Australia often take up to a week to come off, no matter which card, bank, or brand (even Amex). Our initial plan was to use our MB and settle every day or two, but I think given the $ amount could end up being quite large given we're there for almost two weeks, it will be pay as we go. Fortunately, there are a few months for us for it all to settle down and see how it's implemented.

The only response I've seen answered regarding gift cards/cash:

A credit card is required to charge to a MagicBand. Guests can still visit the front desk to use a gift card towards the balance. This will not immediately release the hold, but the amount to be settled will be adjusted.

The only response I've seen answered regarding gift cards/cash:

A credit card is required to charge to a MagicBand. Guests can still visit the front desk to use a gift card towards the balance. This will not immediately release the hold, but the amount to be settled will be adjusted.
Question still remains, how often/when will they actually charge the card, so when /how often do guests need to visit the front desk.

I would imagine doing it this way would prevent large hold amounts being put on cards.

Question still remains, how often/when will they actually charge the card, so when /how often do guests need to visit the front desk.

I would imagine doing it this way would prevent large hold amounts being put on cards.

In a previous post Disney Destinations said they are only charging the card once at check out.

I'd be the one to put a CC on file, and then also have them use my cash/gift cards right at check in. That should keep my $100 authorization from not being increased, because technically I've prepaid my room charges.
But I also have a credit card that I use only for traveling. That is the card I use for hotel and car rental reservations - knowing it will have pending authorizations. I then just pay with a different card (or cash/gift cards) the morning I check out.

In a previous post Disney Destinations said they are only charging the card once at check out.

I'd be the one to put a CC on file, and then also have them use my cash/gift cards right at check in. That should keep my $100 authorization from not being increased, because technically I've prepaid my room charges.
But I also have a credit card that I use only for traveling. That is the card I use for hotel and car rental reservations - knowing it will have pending authorizations. I then just pay with a different card (or cash/gift cards) the morning I check out.
I thought you couldn’t pre-pay with cash/gift cards, and only apply payments as you charged things?

Only 1 charge at check out is good to hear (for me, anyway). Easier to figure out if final bill is correct this way,and can use gift cards more easily. HOwever, it does mean that there will most likely be double authorizations for those that just pay with the credit card on file.

This is what the terms say during online check in:

PAYMENT CARD AUTHORIZATION. For stays including, or commencing on or after, February 27, 2019, if you choose to place a payment card on your hotel folio account for expenses and incidental charges, the following terms and conditions apply:

• An authorization hold for the remainder of any balance due on the reservation and an additional $100 for estimated incidental expenses will be placed on the card on the scheduled arrival date. Additional authorization holds will be placed on the card, through and until the end of check-out day, as incidental expenditures exceed the amount previously authorized to the card.
  • If the card on file is declined for the required initial authorization hold, you must provide another card or other means of payment for charging privileges.
  • If an incremental authorization is declined, charging privileges for that card will be removed, and you will be required to provide an alternate means of payment for any outstanding balance and/or future incidental charges.
  • For reservations longer than 5 days, the card on file will be charged the current balance on the hotel folio(s) on every fifth day of your stay and on the day of check-out. Additional authorization holds and charges will be placed on the card as specified in these terms and conditions.
  • Subject to these terms and conditions, your charging privileges will continue through and until the end of check-out day. If expenses are posted to your hotel folio(s) on check-out day, the card on file will be charged for these expenses on check-out day or the day after check-out.
  • If you choose to change the method of payment from the card you placed on file, you must do so using online check-in prior to arrival or at the front desk. The acceptance of the alternate payment form may be subject to different terms and conditions.

This is what the terms say during online check in:

PAYMENT CARD AUTHORIZATION. For stays including, or commencing on or after, February 27, 2019, if you choose to place a payment card on your hotel folio account for expenses and incidental charges, the following terms and conditions apply:

• An authorization hold for the remainder of any balance due on the reservation and an additional $100 for estimated incidental expenses will be placed on the card on the scheduled arrival date. Additional authorization holds will be placed on the card, through and until the end of check-out day, as incidental expenditures exceed the amount previously authorized to the card.
  • If the card on file is declined for the required initial authorization hold, you must provide another card or other means of payment for charging privileges.
  • If an incremental authorization is declined, charging privileges for that card will be removed, and you will be required to provide an alternate means of payment for any outstanding balance and/or future incidental charges.
  • For reservations longer than 5 days, the card on file will be charged the current balance on the hotel folio(s) on every fifth day of your stay and on the day of check-out. Additional authorization holds and charges will be placed on the card as specified in these terms and conditions.
  • Subject to these terms and conditions, your charging privileges will continue through and until the end of check-out day. If expenses are posted to your hotel folio(s) on check-out day, the card on file will be charged for these expenses on check-out day or the day after check-out.
  • If you choose to change the method of payment from the card you placed on file, you must do so using online check-in prior to arrival or at the front desk. The acceptance of the alternate payment form may be subject to different terms and conditions.
Every 5th day - that's good to know.

So will they be placing a new $100 hold after every time you charge over a $100? That is the part that confuses me. My bank takes FOREVER to release holds so I worry that if I spend $200 - I will also have $200 in holds, and so on for the whole trip.

So will they be placing a new $100 hold after every time you charge over a $100? That is the part that confuses me. My bank takes FOREVER to release holds so I worry that if I spend $200 - I will also have $200 in holds, and so on for the whole trip.
I'm guessing that at the end of the trip, or 5th day, total holds will be amount charged to room rounded up to next hundred. Then they'll charge your card, and release the holds. But, holds won't disappear until your bank releases them.

So, if the period just after your trip, you'll have a hold for the full amount that's in addition to the actual charge.

I don't know if they will only do $100 holds. For instance, a $300 meal at California grill will probably result in one additional hold for $300, rather than 3 $100 holds.

This is standard practice at many other resorts around the US. Anyone who goes to Las Vegas and stays on the strip will know they pre-charge you incidentals at check to the tune of $50 per day, often more.

I see this from a couple different angles:

1. You are a family that has worked hard to get the amount of money required to go to Disney, however, you are also counting on you 'pay day' when there in order to help float things over. Regardless of peoples opinions on this, I know lots of people who do it. The holds here could potentially be troublesome. While some people may not feel $500 or so is not a lot of money, to people who are stretching to do it can be a deal breaker.

2. The hotels are protecting themselves from potential fraud or being left to carry the can for expenses that simply cannot be paid. Having some element of upfront hold guarantees there is room on the card and thus gives them some level of security against potential charges.

3. As this is common in many industries (Car rental, many hotel chains etc..) it is being brought into line with the industry standards chosen by many.

I am a little ambiguous to be honest, I know we spend more when charging to the room... so I guess if you were in scenario 1 whereby you will have all the money throughout the vacation coming in but not necessarily in a lump sum at the beginning, these new rules would simply result in not charging anything to the room and thus (using our spending habbits as a data point) not spending as much in or out of the parks.

I see why they did it and I'm not totally against it, but I do see that it may be a little troublesome for some people and how they like to plan.

Am I the only one who has ever had a problem with a hold not falling off? I've had that happen twice now with hotel holds. What was really annoying was both times the hotel said it was the credit card's fault, and the credit card would say it was the hotel's fault.

Yeah, I'll give Disney my number so I can do on line check in, but that is it.

Working in the financial services industry I can tell you that holds on credit and/or debit cards will stay on until one of two things occur:
  • The hold is an exact match to a transaction posting for BOTH company and dollar amount, or;
  • The hold falls off after a specified time period set by the card issuer. This is typically 5 days, but can be as long as 10 days.
That said, we have removed holds for customers when they call and ask why the hold has not fallen off even though the transaction has posted. This is rare though as, if a company gets an authorization for a transaction and the holds falls off before the transaction actually posts and, in the meantime the customer spends the money, it is the financial institution that is on the hook. We can’t return it to the company as non-sufficient funds because they received an authorization. This is why holds are on accounts for extended periods.

I agree with PP that these authorization holds are standard in the hotel industry. I'm surprised its not been implemented sooner, actually. The only people who should really have a problem with those are those who call things close with their credit card limit.

Like PP said, its a rare occurrence when holds don't fall off automatically. Sure, it can happen - just like anything else. But unless you're nearing your credit limit or you don't inquire about the hold not falling off in a timely fashion, it should be no issue other than the annoyance of having to make a phone call or two about it.

Am I the only one who has ever had a problem with a hold not falling off? I've had that happen twice now with hotel holds. What was really annoying was both times the hotel said it was the credit card's fault, and the credit card would say it was the hotel's fault.

Yeah, I'll give Disney my number so I can do on line check in, but that is it.

If I've ever had the issue I haven't noticed. Could be the limit on my card is big enough I don't notice a hold of a thousand or two, but it's never been an issue.

I agree with PP that these authorization holds are standard in the hotel industry. I'm surprised its not been implemented sooner, actually. The only people who should really have a problem with those are those who call things close with their credit card limit.

Like PP said, its a rare occurrence when holds don't fall off automatically. Sure, it can happen - just like anything else. But unless you're nearing your credit limit or you don't inquire about the hold not falling off in a timely fashion, it should be no issue other than the annoyance of having to make a phone call or two about it.

You, literally, just ignored someone in the banking industry that stated, these holds can take up to 10 days to fall off posting just before you.

Nothing about a WDW vacation is consistent with a typical hotel stay. They want you to do ALL of your spending at WDW, hence Magic Express and multi day tickets, plus every shopping option you could ever need.

Heck, I have an annoying $1 hold that has been hanging on my account for 5 days where the charge already went through, because I entered the wrong zip code the first time buying gas, so that phantom hold is just hanging there with no actual charge to follow. Now make that the WDW $100 hold, and potentially have that triggered multiple times. Also, I have had my bank refuse to remove holds. So, no, it is not as easy as you make it sound.

The part that I think needs clarification and is of concern is this. "Additional authorization holds and charges will be placed on the card as specified in these terms and conditions."

What Disney's interpretation and implementation of that will either be all about nothing, or an extremely big deal.

Okay, it is not that simple, for a variety of reasons. If someone is using a debit card, that hold, one that may not fall off as easily as you suggest it will fall, is going to tie up someone's household account. I think that is problematic. AS to routine holds on credit cards being the standard, again...no problem unless you are are in WDW. This place is not the same as a vacation elsewhere. WHere else do you stay in a hotel and have the number of establishments linked to that card your hotel is holding a collateral? I know of no other destination that does this.

I had problems with one hold and that was enough for me. I am not going to charge one penny back to my room moving forward. Multiple authorizations within a stay is not going to work for me, as I avoid stress at all costs while on vacation.

I also believe that there are people who when using a debit card rely on a deposit as part of their spending, or have preauthorized withdrawals from their accounts, and a hold on the card may Interfere with them . I don't blame DIsney for the policy, although I believe the necessity is an unintended consequence of the ease of Magic Band charging, but I am not going to say that it is a simple process for everyone that should be easy peasy.

From your statement it seems you have never dealt with a hold that wouldn't fall off. In my case, it was many many many phone calls, while each end denied it was their fault. Felt like I was banging my head against a wall, I was so frustrated!! In both cases it took 2 months for the hold to fall off, after the charge had already been paid at the hotel.

From your statement it seems you have never dealt with a hold that wouldn't fall off. In my case, it was many many many phone calls, while each end denied it was their fault. Felt like I was banging my head against a wall, I was so frustrated!! In both cases it took 2 months for the hold to fall off, after the charge had already been paid at the hotel.

I agree. I also have not seen any posts decrying DIsney's new policy, but have seen concerns in regards to how that policy will be implemented and how it will affect individual people. We all use different banks with diverse policies, and have had experiences that may or may not have been pleasant. I do not blame guests for being hesitant to embrace the policy, or for choosing to avoid it all together. I like online checkin so I will agree to that authorizartion, however that is it for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter