Navigating DLR, Pixar Pier Opening, and AP Blockouts June 18-30

We actually only have 4 days (June 20-23) but I hear what you are saying and it makes me feel better! Thanks for helping talk me off the ledge lol!
If all 4 of those are Park days, you are golden. That is a LOT of time between the 2 parks. Personally my family would get bored by day 4, so you have tons of time to take it slow, navigate any crowds and enjoy your time!

If all 4 of those are Park days, you are golden. That is a LOT of time between the 2 parks. Personally my family would get bored by day 4, so you have tons of time to take it slow, navigate any crowds and enjoy your time!

They are all park days! We are used to going to WDW for 7 park days so I guess we shot a little high. We were only planning to use MP two days but we made room in the budget for all four if we need that too.

Last edited:
I really appreciate @Skyegirl1999 and @DizneyMommy for being kind, understanding, and reassuring. You have both been really helpful to many of us non-frequent visitors who are trying to plan out trips, and now that things seem to be crumbling at the last minute, it is nice to hear your calming responses. <3
I really hope you have an awesome time! I can appreciate your stress as we will be at WDW the same week and there have been some surprises there too! New rider switch policies that may or may not be happening, hours have changed twice, EMH every single day at AK, and a new stroller tagging parking thing happening. All changed AFTER we had to book our FP at 60 days out. Plus thunder storms that cancel stuff left and right. Yikes!! I am out of my little DL comfort zone there. I’m going to need some Xanex to get through this trip!

OH and they closed Toy Story there for our whole trip too, just recently, after we were all done planning!

I really hope you have an awesome time! I can appreciate your stress as we will be at WDW the same week and there have been some surprises there too! New rider switch policies that may or may not be happening, hours have changed twice, EMH every single day at AK, and a new stroller tagging parking thing happening. All changed AFTER we had to book our FP at 60 days out. Plus thunder storms that cancel stuff left and right. Yikes!! I am out of my little DL comfort zone there. I’m going to need some Xanex to get through this trip!

Thank you so much and I hope your trip is wonderful, too!! I hope you post a report afterwards! I would love to read it. :)

I really appreciate @Skyegirl1999 and @DizneyMommy for being kind, understanding, and reassuring. You have both been really helpful to many of us non-frequent visitors who are trying to plan out trips, and now that things seem to be crumbling at the last minute, it is nice to hear your calming responses. <3
I mean, I took my BIL and his girlfriend for their first time on a Saturday at the end of September last year. They had one day parkhoppers to “do” Disneyland. It was packed, packed, packed (like 40-minute lines at lunch); the app kept showing the wrong character info, and the entire FP system of both parks crashed before 3pm. It was NOT ideal park conditions by any means... they had an awesome time! We went with the flow and had a great day.

My initial reaction was insane joy over my luck - the three days I'm in the parks are the days still blacked out.

But now I'm wondering if those days weren't gonna be crowded to begin with... (the 17-19)

Last edited:
My initial reaction was insane joy over my luck - the three days I'm in the parks are the days still blacked out.

But now I'm wondering of those days weren't gonna be crowded to begin with... (the 17-19)
Well the 17th is Father’s Day. We’ve been on that day before and it seemed pretty light until early afternoon. The 18 and 19 are weekdays and some local kids are still in school. I don’t know why they picked the days they did. I kind of feel like they thought a lot of AP’s wouldn’t even be able to come so let’s throw them a bone that’s not really a bone but looks like one lol

We actually only have 4 days (June 20-23) but I hear what you are saying and it makes me feel better! Thanks for helping talk me off the ledge lol!
I think everyone is going to be ok. I would not expect crowds to go up significantly. It isn't like all SoCal APs are thinking GREAT, I can go all these new days. There is no new draw to get them to come those days. It might get a little busier in the evenings, but if it were me (and it is for 2 of the days) I wouldn't be really concerns. Disney only opened these specific dates because they expect crowds to be considerably lower due to the opening of PP on the 23rd.

Wow, like a lot of people, I planned my June trip around block-out dates.:sad2: I have a few questions that hopefully someone more in the know can answer.

We will be in the Parks on Friday, the 22d and Saturday, the 23rd. My plan is to start Friday morning at DCA, then go over to DL in the late afternoon, then back to DCA for PTN parade. Then on Saturday morning, start in DL, spend a good portion of the day there, then park hop over to DCA later in the day, mostly just to see Pixar Pier. My thoughts are that DCA on Saturday is going to be very crowded, and that Friday morning and afternoon might be a better day to spend there.

Does this sound reasonable, or would MM and EM hours at DL on Saturday affect the morning crowds there too much? We do want to sign up our grandson for Jedi Training first thing, but we can't enter the parks until after the MM/EM hours.

If it's any help, it's going to be my husband, myself and our four year old grandson. Most everything for this trip is being planned around attractions and events that our grandson will enjoy, so we're not looking to rush to ride any of the bigger "thrill" rides.

Thanks for any thoughts on this! And, I know there are many people (myself included) upset over the change in block-out days for June, but hopefully, the impact won't be too huge. Of course, nobody will know until they're there on a day that the block out changed.:headache:

Wow, like a lot of people, I planned my June trip around block-out dates.:sad2: I have a few questions that hopefully someone more in the know can answer.

We will be in the Parks on Friday, the 22d and Saturday, the 23rd. My plan is to start Friday morning at DCA, then go over to DL in the late afternoon, then back to DCA for PTN parade. Then on Saturday morning, start in DL, spend a good portion of the day there, then park hop over to DCA later in the day, mostly just to see Pixar Pier. My thoughts are that DCA on Saturday is going to be very crowded, and that Friday morning and afternoon might be a better day to spend there.

Does this sound reasonable, or would MM and EM hours at DL on Saturday affect the morning crowds there too much? We do want to sign up our grandson for Jedi Training first thing, but we can't enter the parks until after the MM/EM hours.

If it's any help, it's going to be my husband, myself and our four year old grandson. Most everything for this trip is being planned around attractions and events that our grandson will enjoy, so we're not looking to rush to ride any of the bigger "thrill" rides.

Thanks for any thoughts on this! And, I know there are many people (myself included) upset over the change in block-out days for June, but hopefully, the impact won't be too huge. Of course, nobody will know until they're there on a day that the block out changed.:headache:

They don’t affect you at all ;-) the last one I see opened up is 6/21?

Sorry 22nd and that’s only one pass which isn’t even sold anymore

They don’t affect you at all ;-) the last one I see opened up is 6/21?

Sorry 22nd and that’s only one pass which isn’t even sold anymore

I know the 23rd isn't affected, but I don't understand what you mean about the 22nd? That date was originally blocked for SO CAL AP's, but now it is not. Doesn't that open up that day for a lot of people that originally were blocked?

Is there a reason you have to start at DCA Friday and DL Saturday? Can you reverse those? If you do, you won't be affected by MM/EMH in either park.

Is there a reason you have to start at DCA Friday and DL Saturday? Can you reverse those? If you do, you won't be affected by MM/EMH in either park.

I was thinking DCA would be a lot less crowded on Friday than Saturday, but maybe the mornings wouldn't matter? I'm sure the crowds will grow as the day goes on. Cars Land is definitely on our list, and FP to RSR.

I was thinking DCA would be a lot less crowded on Friday than Saturday, but maybe the mornings wouldn't matter? I'm sure the crowds will grow as the day goes on. Cars Land is definitely on our list, and FP to RSR.
DCA will be busy on Saturday but with people heading to the pier, not the other parts of the park. And with the blockouts that day I don’t think dca will be horrible.

You're better off starting on a level playing field with all guests entering the park rather than giving MM/EMH folks an hour's head start both days, especially if you are concerned about Jedi training. With PHs, if DL gets a little more daunting on Friday, just hop over to DCA and continue as you were going to. You'll be fine, especially if you have MP.

OH and they closed Toy Story there for our whole trip too, just recently, after we were all done planning!

Oh no! I haven't been keeping up with WDW closings since we are not going this year but that stinks for your family. Hope there haven't been too many 'surprises' and that you can still have a great trip. We put so much into the planning of these trips and while all these changes may seem little, they do add up and just increase our stress levels, if nothing else.

I know the 23rd isn't affected, but I don't understand what you mean about the 22nd? That date was originally blocked for SO CAL AP's, but now it is not. Doesn't that open up that day for a lot of people that originally were blocked?
Yes and no. They no longer sell that pass. Anyone who let it expire could not renew at that level. I have no idea what the actual numbers are, but I would muster a guess that you will not see a impact from that pass alone. It was a weird one anyways, I never felt the cost of it over the Select pass was worth it for a local, and you have to be local to buy it. Most people I know at that level either upgraded to Deluxe or dropped down to the Select pass, simply because they forgot or didn't want to renew on time (There is no longer a renewal discount so it makes no sense to renew at the beginning of summer for instance if you are then blocked out for 2 months anyways)

I'm getting worried about these June dates!! We picked June 20-24th as our park days...too late to change now! I plan on using our MM on Saturday to snag a ride (using Maxpass) with the Incredicoster. Somewhat bummed about the lack of Hyperspace Mountain, but that's okay too! It's our first summer visit and I picked the dates to try and squeak out with "lowered crowds" due to the AP blocks...and hoped all of Pixar Pier would be ready on Memorial Day! :scared1:

I'd be less worried if I didn't have a 2 yr old, a 5 yr old, and a MIL who has terrible anxiety.

But hey...Disney is better than being at my office desk! :rotfl:
You can get your mil a das so she doesn’t have to be around crowds of people in line. It helps my kid with anxiety to wait elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter