• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Navigating DLR, Pixar Pier Opening, and AP Blockouts June 18-30

Wow. Closing one of the most popular rides with a weeks notice. I'm sorry folks, but Disneyland sucks when it comes to this stuff. Honestly, if I could cancel our trip and just stick with WDW, I would. Every week it's something else.

Yup, we are at WDW next week and they just closed TS with very little notice for the week we are there. Stuff happens when there is an active construction site going on. I’m not canceling my trip to WDW over it ;-)

If you are talking TSMM at WDW, I believe that was not completely last minute. Not sure when it was announced but it seems like it was 2-3 months in advance. But I agree it would be equally disappointing. WDW does not seem to have the same attitude towards summer closings as DLR - at DLR it has been almost unheard of for something to be closed in the summer.

:wizard:

Nope. It was just announced. Waaaay after we booked FP so way less than 2 months. It was maybe 2 weeks ago at most.

Also, this is not a random closure at either park. TSL/PP have been under construction for months. It’s not a surprise that they may need to close down TS to finish it up. I’m not losing sleep over it.

Yup, we are at WDW next week and they just closed TS with very little notice for the week we are there. Stuff happens when there is an active construction site going on. I’m not canceling my trip to WDW over it ;-)

That's pretty bad. Disneyland clearly doesn't care about tourists, but it's WDW's bloodline. Going to call Disney and the airline and see what can be done. I spent way too much money on this trip for another last minute change. I could take the money I paid to stay at the DLH and go stay club level at the Hard Rock in Orlando, and still have enough left over for another vacation.

That's pretty bad. Disneyland clearly doesn't care about tourists, but it's WDW's bloodline. Going to call Disney and the airline and see what can be done. I spent way too much money on this trip for another last minute change. I could take the money I paid to stay at the DLH and go stay club level at the Hard Rock in Orlando, and still have enough left over for another vacation.

This has nothing to do with caring about tourists. They are building Toy Story Land and have been for a long time. No surprise. I’m sure they knew it would need to close but didn’t know when. They are moving the entrance queue. They didn’t just decide, hey let’s just close this to annoy people.

This has nothing to do with caring about tourists. They are building Toy Story Land and have been for a long time. No surprise. I’m sure they knew it would need to close but didn’t know when. They are moving the entrance queue. They didn’t just decide, hey let’s just close this to annoy people.
And same is going on with it at DCA. The closure is related to the surrounding construction as they rapidly finish up.

If you are talking TSMM at WDW, I believe that was not completely last minute. Not sure when it was announced but it seems like it was 2-3 months in advance. But I agree it would be equally disappointing. WDW does not seem to have the same attitude towards summer closings as DLR - at DLR it has been almost unheard of for something to be closed in the summer.

:wizard:

Ah, found it, May 9. So we got 4 weeks, which is useless at WDW as you know when FP are booked at 60 days and dining at 180. DL gave about 2 weeks, which is fine because you don’t pre-book anything there. If someone wants to cancel their trip over one ride, when you know the area is actively under construction, that’s too bad. Shorter lines for the rest of us I guess!

Nope. It was just announced. Waaaay after we booked FP so way less than 2 months. It was maybe 2 weeks ago at most.

Also, this is not a random closure at either park. TSL/PP have been under construction for months. It’s not a surprise that they may need to close down TS to finish it up. I’m not losing sleep over it.
Guess I am wrong. I thought I read about it back in April at WDW.

Ah, found it, May 9. So we got 4 weeks, which is useless at WDW as you know when FP are booked at 60 days and dining at 180. DL gave about 2 weeks, which is fine because you don’t pre-book anything there. If someone wants to cancel their trip over one ride, when you know the area is actively under construction, that’s too bad. Shorter lines for the rest of us I guess!
I thought folks had a clue back in April when WDW would not accept FP+ for TSMM?

Guess I am wrong. I thought I read about it back in April at WDW.
What they did was suspend FP+ for a period of time in May/June. So April 15 when I booked FP I could not get TS, but it was supposed to be standby only. They were taking it down to one track to add the 3rd or something. Then in May they added the 6/11 closure.

Wow. Closing one of the most popular rides with a weeks notice. I'm sorry folks, but Disneyland sucks when it comes to this stuff. Honestly, if I could cancel our trip and just stick with WDW, I would. Every week it's something else.
I understand WDW just did the same thing with TSMM there. Totally sucks for folks who are big fans of this ride-we think it’s fine, but it’s not a must-do for us-but I know it is for many people.

I think you should cancel if you can. You e been pretty clearly unhappy about many aspects of this trip from the beginning of your planning, from your posts here, and it sounds like you’d much rather be at WDW than DL. No harm in that! Just go there, rather than DL-I can’t see a way that you’re going to be happy with this vacation.

I thought folks had a clue back in April when WDW would not accept FP+ for TSMM?
But yes, all of the construction and the opening dates were a clue that TS might go down at any time. Just like at DL, the Pixar Pier construction and opening date was a clue it might go down. And that’s been out there since late 2017, opening date since early February.

As you guys have been highly active in this thread. I would like to know what your opinion is on the letter I am writing to Disney guest services.
Thanks

I must say Disneyland has recently gotten into the bad habit of making last minute changes to policies and ride closures. We will be traveling in June with a party totaling 8 people and only visiting for one day. We have been lifetime guests of the Disneyland Resort, and I must say, this will be our last year visiting the park. Which I don't know if that is a negative thing for Disneyland as this action is something I believe you are secretly wishing more of your guests would take.

We specifically picked these dates due to the large number of APs blocked out and pre-Pixar Pier opening. I just found out a few days ago that you unblocked several APs last minute, offered AP discount tickets to their friends, and closed Toy Story Midway Mania for random days before the coveted Pixar Pier grand opening.

This is a serious disappointment to us. We specifically planned our days to avoid the increased crowds of APs, but going before the Pixar Pier opening so the children (where this is their first trip) can ride the ride featuring their favorite movie characters. Toy Story. We are still currently scheduled for a VIP tour, one of the reasons for purchasing this was so the kids could go on Toy Story, back to back to back. Now questioning if it will be worth it.

We will be there only one day, and had we known you would be closing Toy Story, allowing APs in on pre-blocked days, we would have chosen another date to visit the park. But instead of posting the Toy Story Midway Mania closures at the 6 week mark, you chose a matter of days, inconveniencing many with your last minute antics.
I like your letter. I would send it after your trip then you can make note of other issues you encounter.

I'm bummed about TSMM being closed...it is definitely a fav for us, but it's the same exact ride as at WDW, so for those of us who get to go annually (or more for many), it's not end of the world kind of thing. There is always something big (or two or three bigs) closed when we go to WDW. It's just how it works.

I'm far more upset about the unblocking of the AP's but what do you do? We cannot cancel. So we just keep swimming, just keep swimming lol!

Hey I've been lurking around since I'm debating doing a last minute trip to DL before PxP opening. I've lived in SoCal my entire life up until 2-3 years ago so I'm very familiar with AP patterns. My only concern regarding crowds is that VidCon will be at the Anaheim Convention Center Jun 20-23. I have never visited DL during a convention so would something as big as VidCon (possibly equivalent to D23) impact crowds?

So it looks like VidCon will impact crowds since they're planning a "Disney Day" on Jun 24.

Join hundreds of VidCon goers on Sunday, June 24 for a day of magic and fun at Disneyland and California Adventure! This is not a private park event, however, there will be a bunch of VidCon Attendees visiting Disneyland & Disney California Adventure. As this is not an official VidCon event, tickets must be purchased separately from your VidCon Registration. VidCon attendees receive a special discount rate for Disney tickets. You will receive a link to purchase Disney Day tickets in your Ticket (TK) Confirmation email.

Hey I've been lurking around since I'm debating doing a last minute trip to DL before PxP opening. I've lived in SoCal my entire life up until 2-3 years ago so I'm very familiar with AP patterns. My only concern regarding crowds is that VidCon will be at the Anaheim Convention Center Jun 20-23. I have never visited DL during a convention so would something as big as VidCon (possibly equivalent to D23) impact crowds?
I don't expect it to impact crowds. Sunday, June 24 was going to be crazy to begin with since Pixar Pier will open the day prior and that will be the first day for Deluxe and So Cal APs to visit.

I hope you are able to cancel and change your trip. You are not going to have a great trip. You have been extremely negative, and I don't see how you could possibly enjoy the trip. I hope they let you change things. It is one reason I usually piece my own trip so I can change it.

... If someone wants to cancel their trip over one ride, when you know the area is actively under construction, that’s too bad. Shorter lines for the rest of us I guess!

... I think you should cancel if you can. You e been pretty clearly unhappy about many aspects of this trip from the beginning of your planning, from your posts here, and it sounds like you’d much rather be at WDW than DL. No harm in that! Just go there, rather than DL-I can’t see a way that you’re going to be happy with this vacation.

I hope you are able to cancel and change your trip. You are not going to have a great trip. You have been extremely negative, and I don't see how you could possibly enjoy the trip. I hope they let you change things. It is one reason I usually piece my own trip so I can change it.

I agree that cancelling your trip might be the best option here. In thread after thread, you have repeated your complaints and made your negativity known. I truly fear this trip will be a self fulfilling disaster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter